Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main reason why SWTOR flopped?

ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

The game had an excellent gamedeveloper in BioWare, it had economic power in EA and an outstanding IP in Star Wars!

But along the way something went wrong, very wrong! What?

:)

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I choose other, as all the above I had issues with.  It juust is not one of them but all of them.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I chose none of them because I liked it. There were smarter people than me who found a bunch of flaws with it, and they quit. When there was no one else playing I quit as well.

Edit: There are just to many choices of games to play now, no one sticks with them long enough to learn to enjoy them.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    All of the above.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

How is "No Swimming!" not getting more votes?  

Where the hell is my rebreather?  GW2 has them!   OMGWTFBBQ~

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    all of the above plus an engine that doesn't scale very well to midrange and lowend systems immediately limiting the number of people that could play it.  The biggest reason for wow's success, I feel, is that the game is playable on just about anything made in the last decade.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    I choose other, as all the above I had issues with.  It juust is not one of them but all of them.

same thing, lets just say Other = all of the above, and then some.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Main reason: They made WoW in space.

They should have made a science fiction mmo based on Star Wars. They should have approached every aspect of the game from this angle. They had some good ideas and ironically it is not a bad game. Many things are really good and fun.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I chose none of them because I liked it. There were smarter people than me who found a bunch of flaws with it, and they quit. When there was no one else playing I quit as well.

Edit: There are just to many choices of games to play now, no one sticks with them long enough to learn to enjoy them.

Learn to enjoy...

Don't worry baby, you'll learn to enjoy this.     *shudder*

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Yeah, all of them and then some, but MAIN reason would be End Game - not enough to keep you playing once maxed.

SWG did not have space to begin with, but its open worlds / sandbox style, many customisable professions and crafting systems etc kept me busy until JTL came

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115
    Space minigame

Linear worlds

Endgame

Feel not right

The story and cutscenes were amazing, and I dont care about swimming.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

40% said sub fee...................

/duck

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by severius
    all of the above plus an engine that doesn't scale very well to midrange and lowend systems immediately limiting the number of people that could play it.  The biggest reason for wow's success, I feel, is that the game is playable on just about anything made in the last century.

Fix'd for you.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by erictlewis

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Leveling was by far way too quick before hitting maximum level. Hardcore players would have mortored ahead posting bug reports galore as they do, which would be fixed before the main playerbase got that far.

Then they would also have had time to get new end game content ready for when the playerbase majority hit the level cap and then add that new content after a couple of months or so to keep people interested.

Lettign the casual of casual players hit level cap in just over a week was silly, hardcore players could do it in a couple of days. My 1st char took a week and a half, my 2nd char 2 and a half weeks (i tried to take my time) my 3rd character over a month but thats becuase i lost interest in the game.

Patch days have not been great with extended downtimes to be followed by bugs galore (some of which stopped you from being able to play/log in at all) which really annoyed me the most. Not just lastign an hour or two but days sometimes.

I could live with some planets having extreamly long loading times, but for me the game no longer interests me. Good luck for those that stay but ive had 5mths (once my time runs out that is) of which i only played 3 months of it and have 3-4 weeks left.

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    other, swg fans who had nothing to do but complain it wasnt swg wen from the begining it was clear it never was ganna be. great game wasnt a sw fan before but this game got me interested in the lore, same with WoW i never played warcraft before but wow got me into it

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    it didnt flop you little prawn...
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

It failed because too many people wanted it to be something it was never going to be. 

SWG fans wanted SWG2

KOTOR fans wanted KOTOR3

Eve/X-Wing fans wanted free roam space

RPers wanted, well they wanted to sit down in a chair, to swim, day/night cycles, houses, etc etc etc

A very vocal minority wanted SGRAs

Raiders wanted well, they wanted end game

PvPers wanted, well does it really matter because are they ever truly happy? 

WoW players wanted group finder/macros/add-ons/8 years of content at release 

The list goes on and on.  The game was doomed before it ever launched because no matter what EA/Bioware did or did not do, there was no way to satisfy a majority of the players with the direction they finally took the game...

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    should of made an ALL OF THE ABOVE option

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    It all comes down to bad management and arrogance. They knew how to make a single player game. They didn't know how to make an mmo, so they made a single player game and copied ideas from Wow. Then they refused to listen to negative feedback. They knew best. Their idea and design couldn't fall.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

It flopped on several fronts imo.

The cutscenes should be kept to the main story only. The gameplay was to WoW-ish, I mean why should I play SWToR when I can play WoW wich I already have invested time in.

The PvP was downright horrible, sure huttball was mildly fun at times but the amount of knockbacks and crap just made it way too frustrating. Then there was Illum, what a joke.

The questing felt retardedly linear, some maps felt linear but lacked structure wich resulted in some pretty tedious back and forth running, we have holo communication crap but I still need to run all the way back to the NPC and tell him I was successful? WTF.

Dungeons were just like in WoW, they didn't even try to evolve the idea or anything, trash, boss, trash, boss, trash, boss etc.

Crafting was just boring, you weren't even involved in it seeing as how you just sent your companions to do it. 

Companions were actually pretty nice, but the problem was that every class had that one companion that was better than the rest.

But the biggest source of this whole mess of a game was the brilliant idea by the utter morons at Biowhore to spend 200 million dollars on voice acting IN A FUCKING MMO.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

Ugh, quoting Bioware as a  good Game Developer? Hardly, perhaps a good Interactive Movie Developer...

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Lots of worn out space bars from this game.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Other since All of the above was not an option.
  • ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Not all of the above, but the first 5 for sure.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Other since All of the above was not an option.

Same.

This game failed on so many levels, it is hard to pick just one from that list.

They spent $200+ mil on an MMO and had the biggest sci-fi IP in existance, and forgot to actually make a good game.

And I'll laugh even harder when their crappy F2P model crashes the game the rest of the way.