Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you looking for a well made great game I found it....

hunt4foodhunt4food Member Posts: 17

I have played most big title games out as they came out all seemed to have huge issues that was to hard for my to over look to keep playing. Until I played RIFT,  Before I started playing rift I assumed that it was going to be something to hold me over till GW2 came out.  Once I started playing rift I realized how much more it was Flawless launch, way more " dynamic" then anyother game I have played to date .  content updates come out before I can complete the last game update. Just about every time I log on I have a plan to go craft , pvp, etc.  After logging in I find my self pulled to a differnet direction having a ball. 2 hours later I realize I actuallly logged on with a different agenda but who cares I was having fun, yes fun after more then a year of playing. 

Over the summer my hours at work increased and I was excited for guild wars 2 to come out so I took a break from the game for 6 months.  After reaching lvl80 on one toon and 56 on another.  I then was able to appreciate what rift has to offer.

If you are looking for a well made game with more content then you could imagine ( not becouse its been out for a while, but becouse they add more constantly) take a look at rift.

what it has

more advance class build then any other game out there. It really gives you a sence that your toon is like no others.

I still to this day love the pvp and always feel like If played right you can make a differents no matter what the gear

amazing dungions with various difficlulty  lvl

dynamic world events

thriving economy

easy to get groups no matter what your poison is

small upgades along the way to making your god toon not a grind for moths on end just to see a point increase

great graphics that can be enjoyed on the lowest computer up to amazing visual experience on a top notch rig

a community of devs that do seem to care how your time is spent in your game I actually feel like im a customer not a number

If you are looking for a new game to play try rift its not the newest title out or the one with the most comments on a website just a solid mmo. That is challenging at all lvls.

Comments

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106
    I'm going to have to +1 this :D
  • hunt4foodhunt4food Member Posts: 17
    I feel with such a huge selection of new games comming out its easy to look for the next best thing and over look quality games from the past. that are tried and true.
  • FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

All that and with SL coming there's cool dungeons on the way, new souls, tripling the land mass, dimensions (yay! housing!) and the base game stays the same. Also leveling gets more fun with a lot of options: carnage quest (grind with reward), hunting rifts (special kinds of rifts growing in difficulty), more instant adventures and more! :)

Shameless advertising and all that, but damn is it worth it. This is actually the game I kept returning to after playing SWTOR, GW2 and even WoW.

RIFT started off like a WoW-clone with more customisation and RIFTs, but with the adding of a lot of stuff, the aggressive update schedule and post-maxlevel planar attunement levels (yes, a purpose to get xp and do stuff :o ). There's just so much to do and fun to be had WoW looks stale in comparison to the expansions content

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I dunno, the fact rift just felt like a total wow clone turned me off to the game almost immedatly. Is there even a use for endgame gear? any land control pvp-type stuff at endgame so I have use for said raid gear? Too many mmo's these days are too soloable and the leveling is way to fast, no one should be able to hit cap in a few days no matter how hardcore they play. I like a bit of a grind because it makes that levelup where you get more skills and such much more well, good feeling.

MMO's these days have lost that feeling of progression due to how fast you can level. Best endgame I've ever played waas dark age of camelot, it had raids, but your char could actually progress once at level cap gaining new skills and abilities via pvp, where as most mmo's just have a fake sense of progression in items, do items give your char brand new skills and abilities? nope, and in my eyes that does not count as progression. Funny thing is so many people fall for the carrot on a stick approach most mmo's these days take and I ask myself: "Are these players really this stupid to keep their sub just to chase the carrot once a week?" sadly most of them are since the majority of mmo players these days are trained mindless cattle.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by hunt4food
    I feel with such a huge selection of new games comming out its easy to look for the next best thing and over look quality games from the past. that are tried and true.

^ is very true. Though from what I read in this thread I may give rift a try.. Hell I am bored enough to.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DevironDeviron Member UncommonPosts: 17

If its so great why are you here on mmorpg.com putting up threads instead of playing your awesome game.

Dont like posts that sound like adverstisements.

Originally posted by Deviron

If its so great why are you here on mmorpg.com putting up threads instead of playing your awesome game.

Dont like posts that sound like adverstisements.

Because you can do different things during a day? I like watching tv, but I don't do it 24/7...

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

what it has

more advance class build then any other game out there. It really gives you a sence that your toon is like no others.

But anyone can just swap to your build in a moments notice

I still to this day love the pvp and always feel like If played right you can make a differents no matter what the gear

gear definitely matters.  just like other games skill can do a large part to overcome gear, but gear is a huge factor between two players of equa skill.  Nothing different from the norm here.

amazing dungions with various difficlulty  lvl

They are good instances.  I hardly think they are amazing, the fact they are mostly linear alone disqualifies them from being amazing, IMO.  Again, really nothing new here.

dynamic world events

random world events, moreso than dynamic.  But fun.

thriving economy

eh?  Its a standard auction driven mmorpg.  Economy is absolutely nothing special.

at max level, yes

small upgades along the way to making your god toon not a grind for moths on end just to see a point increase

this has been par for the course since 2004 when WoW ushered in the instant gratification era.  Some view this is a major negative.

great graphics that can be enjoyed on the lowest computer up to amazing visual experience on a top notch rig

you forgot to mention the shoddy performance.  seeing characters load in as green condoms isnt an amazing visual experience.

a community of devs that do seem to care how your time is spent in your game I actually feel like im a customer not a number

ths is true in a lot of games, they just dont get credit for it

If you are looking for a new game to play try rift its not the newest title out or the one with the most comments on a website just a solid mmo. That is challenging at all lvls.

challenging at all levels except 1-49

Look, its understandable that people love this game.  But posts like this are a joke.  Almost everything you listed is something youll find in every other game on the market.  Other than the class builds and world events, everything you listed applies almost word for word to EQ2 as well.  And EQ2 has its own list of things that Rift doesnt.  Same with any other themepark on the market, even SWTOR could have a post very similar to this.

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    <text> 

Look, its understandable that people love this game.  But posts like this are a joke.  Almost everything you listed is something youll find in every other game on the market.  Other than the class builds and world events, everything you listed applies almost word for word to EQ2 as well.  And EQ2 has its own list of things that Rift doesnt.  Same with any other themepark on the market, even SWTOR could have a post very similar to this.

Other than your obvious whine about how someone let you down with their promises on another themepark I must say RIFT does what it does particulary well. I must say that the character loading in the green 'comdoms' might be a bit weird the first time, but it actually solves itself within a few seconds, and I prefer it above the previous freeze for a few seconds. Also in SL there's a huge performance increase ;)

The game has changed quite a lot, also at levels 1-49. Instant adventures have been added. Click on the button and enjoy... There's mentoring now, so queueing for dungeons below your level with rewards your level is a possibility as well and new (or old) 50s queueing as mentor fill the queues by quite a bit on sub-50 content.

Another point I saw was the pvp. PvP isn't the goal of this game, so don't start saying you want a PvP purpose with your PvE/raid gear. Don't like it? Then the game is not for you. That's just how it is. PvP is in third place here, behind raids and other non-pvp content. In the last year they brought out conquest (a map emptied of mobs and put pvp objectives in them. Opens once every so often) and a warzone as well as some additional modes. They revamped the PvP system so even without tons of pvp gear you can compete, but that's it. Oh and about the making a difference without gear: there's a thing called objectives, or support role, or healing... Contribution isn't always killing people.

Oh and if you like a huge grind to get something done, but don't want to play a korean grinder then you have no idea what you want really... If I come across agitated that's because of the stupidity of some people who type stuff without some decent neutral perspective.

It's free for all to try with RIFT Lite, up to lv20 (endless, with restrictions on whispers, creating guilds and er... some other stuff). You get to experience the starting zone, the first 2 dungeons, the first map (or 2, if you do both factions), the souls and build possibilities, instant adventures, pvp and artifact collecting (random shinies hidden around the world to pick up and complete sets for rewards, very addictive). So come see for yourself! ^.^

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It also has linear quest hubs, static combat and a very tiny world at the moment. I'm glad that some people like this game but if you've already played wow (or something like it) and want something different this isnt the game to look to.
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    It also has linear quest hubs, static combat and a very tiny world at the moment. I'm glad that some people like this game but if you've already played wow (or something like it) and want something different this isnt the game to look to.

As said before they're about to triple the landmass in 3 days (expansion launch), so that shouldn't be too big a problem... They changed the quest design with their latest (and only added after launch) zone Ember Isle. It's more of a breadcrumb-like system where you pick up 1 or 2 at a hub and find the rest in the field. I agree that the original landmass is very linear.

And if you ask me WoW has a nicer art style and the world is bigger (which I like), but aside from that there's way more customisation and ways to play in RIFT. That's the major difference for me :) If you're comfortable with WoW but just bored of WoW (or another similar game) it's fun to hang out in. If you're bored of themeparks/tabtargetting combat, then don't play.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

at max level, yes - I find groups at any level

you forgot to mention the shoddy performance.  seeing characters load in as green condoms isnt an amazing visual experience. - I have no performance issues and I am playing on a college level laptop

ths is true in a lot of games, they just dont get credit for it - It is not true in a lot of games. Most are horrible.

challenging at all levels except 1-49 - I feel that it is more challanging that most other MMO's.

I feel that he was spot on with these comments. I feel that you are totally wrong on the ones I highlighted.

Originally posted by Freezzo

Other than your obvious whine about how someone let you down with their promises on another themepark I must say RIFT does what it does particulary well. I must say that the character loading in the green 'comdoms' might be a bit weird the first time, but it actually solves itself within a few seconds, and I prefer it above the previous freeze for a few seconds. Also in SL there's a huge performance increase ;)

The game has changed quite a lot, also at levels 1-49. Instant adventures have been added. Click on the button and enjoy... There's mentoring now, so queueing for dungeons below your level with rewards your level is a possibility as well and new (or old) 50s queueing as mentor fill the queues by quite a bit on sub-50 content.

Another point I saw was the pvp. PvP isn't the goal of this game, so don't start saying you want a PvP purpose with your PvE/raid gear. Don't like it? Then the game is not for you. That's just how it is. PvP is in third place here, behind raids and other non-pvp content. In the last year they brought out conquest (a map emptied of mobs and put pvp objectives in them. Opens once every so often) and a warzone as well as some additional modes. They revamped the PvP system so even without tons of pvp gear you can compete, but that's it. Oh and about the making a difference without gear: there's a thing called objectives, or support role, or healing... Contribution isn't always killing people.

Oh and if you like a huge grind to get something done, but don't want to play a korean grinder then you have no idea what you want really... If I come across agitated that's because of the stupidity of some people who type stuff without some decent neutral perspective.

It's free for all to try with RIFT Lite, up to lv20 (endless, with restrictions on whispers, creating guilds and er... some other stuff). You get to experience the starting zone, the first 2 dungeons, the first map (or 2, if you do both factions), the souls and build possibilities, instant adventures, pvp and artifact collecting (random shinies hidden around the world to pick up and complete sets for rewards, very addictive). So come see for yourself! ^.^

I am pulling this out of your post:

"If I come across agitated that's because of the stupidity of some people who type stuff without some decent neutral perspective."

I responded to a post that completely lacks nuetral perspective.  If you think my post was negative, then consider it the balance to the OP.  

An example of lack of neutral perspective is saying the game has changed 'quite a lot' at levels 1-49.  Has it?  Ok, there is fishing and cooking..er survival now.  And there are instant adventures, which really isnt a big deal.  they take place in the same zones, and are really kind of boring after the first 5 minutes.  Quite a bit of em are based off of quests in the zone, so you are still doing the same things either way.  That isnt 'quite a lot'.   the big issue most had with the 1-49 game is the limited amount of zones and they havent changed that one bit

PvP was brought up by the OP.  He was trying to hype it up as some system where skill is rewarded and gear doesnt matter, I just pointed out that its par for the course.  Its average themepark PvP.  I dont think thats an unreasonable thing to say at all, do you?

Huge grind to get something done...again, this is in response to the OP talking about how Rift is like every other recent themepark on the market.  they all feature instant gratification style of play.  There is a middle ground between korean grinder and this, vanilla WoW is a prime example.  And of course EQ is a completely different animal.

You accuse me of not having a neutral perspective, but then you come back with your limited viewpoint of 'if its not instant gratification style its gotta be a korean grinder'

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

I truly enjoyed the game overall ,  but finally couldn't get over my personal beef with the macro system.

Any game that allows you to literally setup a one push button that will guarantee you always fire off the best off cooldown abililty at your disposal is just silly.

I just couldn't stand that there was no need to actually have to decide and press abilities on your own , the macro system could be programmed to do it for you.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

at max level, yes - I find groups at any level -if you are a mid level dps getting a group is not always that fast, and warfront queue times can still be sporadic, maybe that has changed after the recent merge, I havent tried since they made everything one battlegroup

you forgot to mention the shoddy performance.  seeing characters load in as green condoms isnt an amazing visual experience. - I have no performance issues and I am playing on a college level laptop  well thats fantastic for you, but the official forums will back up my point.  i am certainly not alone on this

ths is true in a lot of games, they just dont get credit for it - It is not true in a lot of games. Most are horrible.  thats your perception.  And I think its mostly true about Rift.  I do think people gave them a free pass on trying to tell their fanbase conquest is what they asked for.  If SoE or Blizzard tried to do that there would be massive complaints.  But as I said, I think trion ultimately does care.  And I think most dev teams care too, I just dont think they are as good at the politics of it as Trion is.

challenging at all levels except 1-49 - I feel that it is more challanging that most other MMO's. The only real challenge from 1-49 is the mob density.  Its by no stretch of the imagination a challenging game to level, unless you choose to go to zones a few levels above yours, or use an illogical build.  

I feel that he was spot on with these comments. I feel that you are totally wrong on the ones I highlighted.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I am currently subbed to Rift, I am planning on purchasing the expansion this week. I enjoy this game more than any other themepark currently on the market. Yes it's built to appeal to WoW players. But over the course of the past year and a half, both Rift and WoW have both forked off in their own directions. WoW went one way and Rift, another. I don't really think the games are as similar as many assume. Rift is also far from perfect. It's got some issues. They've all been discussed before so there's nothing new to say about them, but For the most part they are true. That said. It's still a great game and well worth the ten to fifteen a month for it. 
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Game had potential, it just wasn't for me.  GW2 and TERA right now are battling for my playtime.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

You're like a year and a half too late... It's like me making a thread and going, HEY GUYS, guess what? I found this incredible game with incredible graphics and incredible everything. It's called Aion and you should all play it.

Not that I'm comparing Aion to Rift, but come on. Are you new to mmo's in general or just to these boards? I've played Rift on and off since back in closed beta 1 before they ruined the cabalist tree and I know it's a great game. Why cheapen it with this obsessive fanboyish thread though?

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Well as ok as this game might be the combat is soooooo boring , and since combat is what I do most of, pretty much turned me off, was pretty boring and holds your hand,  so linear
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Entropy14
    Well as ok as this game might be the combat is soooooo boring , and since combat is what I do most of, pretty much turned me off, was pretty boring and holds your hand,  so linear

This.

The combat is so slow and the animations are completely bland and uninspiring.  If they add a 3rd party animation team come in and redo their combat system I would greatly love to give the game a new try.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Entropy14

This.

The combat is so slow and the animations are completely bland and uninspiring.  If they add a 3rd party animation team come in and redo their combat system I would greatly love to give the game a new try.

Not like Guildwars 2 at all *cough*

Seriously though, I enjoy the combat in this game a lot, its part of the reason I like it. Its no Tera Online, but for me I find the combat a lot better in Rift then I do in Guildwars 2. Its funny how you find the combat poor in Rift while I find it poor in Guildwars 2, heck, the games weakest point. Guess we all do have different tastes though. :)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I played the first few months of Rift, skill system was decent, didn't like the 1 key super macros (had a healer that I had like 1 key for close stuff and 1 for distance fights), the world seemed small and limited for experience hunting, and I was not a big fan of their crafting/harvesting system (too simple and a too obsolete).  I am sure this has changed somewhat, but those were my initial roadblocks to staying. 

Trion does seem like a very good company, and if Rift is your type of MMO, then it would be a soild choice to play.

at max level, yes - I find groups at any level -if you are a mid level dps getting a group is not always that fast, and warfront queue times can still be sporadic, maybe that has changed after the recent merge, I havent tried since they made everything one battlegroup - That's why you queue up and go quest until the queue pops. I do that in WoW, SWTOR, and Rift...no biggie

you forgot to mention the shoddy performance.  seeing characters load in as green condoms isnt an amazing visual experience. - I have no performance issues and I am playing on a college level laptop  well thats fantastic for you, but the official forums will back up my point.  i am certainly not alone on this - Regardless of what the forums say - I am playing it on a dell laptop with HD3000 graphics, i3 processor and 4 gb RAM

ths is true in a lot of games, they just dont get credit for it - It is not true in a lot of games. Most are horrible.  thats your perception.  And I think its mostly true about Rift.  I do think people gave them a free pass on trying to tell their fanbase conquest is what they asked for.  If SoE or Blizzard tried to do that there would be massive complaints.  But as I said, I think trion ultimately does care.  And I think most dev teams care too, I just dont think they are as good at the politics of it as Trion is. - They are the most consistant t cranking out content...period

challenging at all levels except 1-49 - I feel that it is more challanging that most other MMO's. The only real challenge from 1-49 is the mob density.  Its by no stretch of the imagination a challenging game to level, unless you choose to go to zones a few levels above yours, or use an illogical build. - Rift has been the only game in many years that makes me cautious where I venture due to fear of death.

at max level, yes - I find groups at any level -if you are a mid level dps getting a group is not always that fast, and warfront queue times can still be sporadic, maybe that has changed after the recent merge, I havent tried since they made everything one battlegroup - That's why you queue up and go quest until the queue pops. I do that in WoW, SWTOR, and Rift...no biggie so...then Rift is no different in this aspect than other games on the market

you forgot to mention the shoddy performance.  seeing characters load in as green condoms isnt an amazing visual experience. - I have no performance issues and I am playing on a college level laptop  well thats fantastic for you, but the official forums will back up my point.  i am certainly not alone on this - Regardless of what the forums say - I am playing it on a dell laptop with HD3000 graphics, i3 processor and 4 gb RAM So?  Lots of people have issues.  The fact that you claim you dont doesnt change that.  Oh its okay, Riift community.  Bigsmiff claims to run perfectly smooth so all your issues dont matter. Again, stop by the forums some time.

ths is true in a lot of games, they just dont get credit for it - It is not true in a lot of games. Most are horrible.  thats your perception.  And I think its mostly true about Rift.  I do think people gave them a free pass on trying to tell their fanbase conquest is what they asked for.  If SoE or Blizzard tried to do that there would be massive complaints.  But as I said, I think trion ultimately does care.  And I think most dev teams care too, I just dont think they are as good at the politics of it as Trion is. - They are the most consistant t cranking out content...period Which has nothing to do with the dev team caring about you.  Rift has no choice but to pump out content because they released so small.  they would be dead in the water without it.  What it means more is that Trion has an efficient structure, it doesnt mean that they care about you.

challenging at all levels except 1-49 - I feel that it is more challanging that most other MMO's. The only real challenge from 1-49 is the mob density.  Its by no stretch of the imagination a challenging game to level, unless you choose to go to zones a few levels above yours, or use an illogical build. - Rift has been the only game in many years that makes me cautious where I venture due to fear of death. Outside of that castle in gloamwood with 2,000 mobs per square inch i cant think of a single place where I was cautious near leveling up.  You can argue at 50 zones like EI are more difficult than most games max level content (until you outgear it), but 1-49 Rift is EASY.

Oh and you have a sig bashing GW2...I dont play it anymore but there is no possible way you can tell me with a straight face you thought Rift was tougher than GW2 leveling.  Not saying GW2 was that difficult either, but defintely a large step in difficulty over Rift.

at max level, yes - I find groups at any level -if you are a mid level dps getting a group is not always that fast, and warfront queue times can still be sporadic, maybe that has changed after the recent merge, I havent tried since they made everything one battlegroup - That's why you queue up and go quest until the queue pops. I do that in WoW, SWTOR, and Rift...no biggie so...then Rift is no different in this aspect than other games on the market

you forgot to mention the shoddy performance.  seeing characters load in as green condoms isnt an amazing visual experience. - I have no performance issues and I am playing on a college level laptop  well thats fantastic for you, but the official forums will back up my point.  i am certainly not alone on this - Regardless of what the forums say - I am playing it on a dell laptop with HD3000 graphics, i3 processor and 4 gb RAM So?  Lots of people have issues.  The fact that you claim you dont doesnt change that.  Oh its okay, Riift community.  Bigsmiff claims to run perfectly smooth so all your issues dont matter. Again, stop by the forums some time.

ths is true in a lot of games, they just dont get credit for it - It is not true in a lot of games. Most are horrible.  thats your perception.  And I think its mostly true about Rift.  I do think people gave them a free pass on trying to tell their fanbase conquest is what they asked for.  If SoE or Blizzard tried to do that there would be massive complaints.  But as I said, I think trion ultimately does care.  And I think most dev teams care too, I just dont think they are as good at the politics of it as Trion is. - They are the most consistant t cranking out content...period Which has nothing to do with the dev team caring about you.  Rift has no choice but to pump out content because they released so small.  they would be dead in the water without it.  What it means more is that Trion has an efficient structure, it doesnt mean that they care about you.

challenging at all levels except 1-49 - I feel that it is more challanging that most other MMO's. The only real challenge from 1-49 is the mob density.  Its by no stretch of the imagination a challenging game to level, unless you choose to go to zones a few levels above yours, or use an illogical build. - Rift has been the only game in many years that makes me cautious where I venture due to fear of death. Outside of that castle in gloamwood with 2,000 mobs per square inch i cant think of a single place where I was cautious near leveling up.  You can argue at 50 zones like EI are more difficult than most games max level content (until you outgear it), but 1-49 Rift is EASY.

Oh and you have a sig bashing GW2...I dont play it anymore but there is no possible way you can tell me with a straight face you thought Rift was tougher than GW2 leveling.  Not saying GW2 was that difficult either, but defintely a large step in difficulty over Rift.

OK, we disagree...it's time to move on.