Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] DK Online: Realm vs Realm PvP Action

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DK Online developers have partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers and exclusive developer diary surrounding the Realm vs Realm feature to be found in game. It's a terrific behind the scenes look complete with brand new screens. Keep reading!

Today we shed light on the Realm vs. Realm PvP battles in DK Online. RvR is a cornerstone of the large-scale PvP options in the game (together with Castle Siege, the guild battle royale for control of a valuable castle). While Castle Siege is intended for organized PvP-focused guilds to have the ultimate challenge against like-minded guilds, we know that not everyone can be a part of those guilds but may still want to experience massive PvP battles. That’s where RvR comes in.

Read more of our exclusive developer diary, DK Online: Realm vs Realm PvP Action.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

"""Winning RvR grants an experience and regen buff for all players associated with that faction worldwide—including those that weren’t present for the battle..."

Very nice addition taken straight from Dark Age of Camelot.  However, a lot of work needed still.  As the developers who coined the term would tell us, "Realm vs Realm," is more than two guilds going at it - the idea of fighting for your realm is that you have a realm to fight for - culture, religion, armor, weapons, architecture, etc., should vary between realms to give players a true sense of US vs Them.  Painting Red Team vs Blue Team as realm vs realm is a tad inaccurate.  Deadliest Warrior, a great Spike T.V. show, taught a lot of folks just how entertaining it is to see different martial styles versing oneanother. 

Tolkien set the example for high fantasy, showing complex differences in culture and race, and pitted them against one another - uniting those who logically would unite (Elves, Northmen, Gondor), against those who represented completely different cultures:  orcs, easterlings, and so forth.  This variation added to the sense of immersion - something  most mmorpgs are missing. 

Secondly, 2 "realms" is just not nearly as exciting or imaginative as a 3rd realm wild card.  Two realms can be in stalemate, or one horribly outnumbered...add that third realm and man, everyone is looking over their shoulder.  Such unpredictability leads toward excitement - excitement keeps players.

Anyway, that being said, a lot of what you're doing looks good.  I understand how few developers are deep fantasy readers, and sadly, how bad the industry is these days with depth, and being able to present really immersive games.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off, you cannot use the term RVR with only two realms.  RVR requires at least 3 realms, so all they have in this game is pvp.  Another set of brain dead developers.  Two realm pvp has been tried lots and it has failed just about every time.  Just does not work.  

If you think this game will be fun, think again.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Last time I checked RvR implies two.  As there are two R's.  I was a long time player of DAoC and I have no problem wtih them calling it Realm Vs Realm when that is actually exactly what they are selling.  Two realms fighting.

Ozmo you are waaay too strict with your idea's and you are way too quick to judge / put down others.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

lol they better change the title quick, gonna get sued. Realm vs. Realm is a TM of Mythic/EA.

http://ageofreckoning.warhammeronline.com/Realm-vs-Realm

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4001:ox3dw6.2.1

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

this looks like Tera Online with kickass PVP options....sounds sweet. unless Tera decided to implement if first haha.

funny how every new Korean game, or ok, every second new Korean game, is using the Tera battle system now. RaiderZ was first and now there's another one.

what's funnier is that they don't get sued for stealing the interface

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

First off, you cannot use the term RVR with only two realms.  RVR requires at least 3 realms, so all they have in this game is pvp.  Another set of brain dead developers.  Two realm pvp has been tried lots and it has failed just about every time.  Just does not work.  

If your logic is that Mythic made RvR and did it with three factions so three factions is needed, consider that they also made Warhammer Online. WAR has two factions with RvR. RvR does not demand a certain number of sides. RvR is more about large scale battles than the number of sides, if you go by what Mythic has said.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

I don't know how many MMOs I have played, too many to remember. 

I liked Dark Age of Camelot the most, however, Mythic made sure the game would die.  They treated their customers poorly.  Upon release, too many people found the game difficult [those playing solo found grinding extremely difficult and time consuming - one game reviewer said that no one would ever be able to reach level 50], and the game had too little content at first. 

Unlike others, I did not have a problem with updates to DAoC after the original came out, however, I did not like the constant "tweaking" and nerfing, sometimes heavy nerfs.  New characters would come out with promises of greatness, only to find out it the characters were no good or soon nerfed.  Remember seeing a lot of bone dancers early in RvR, and then none?  And, scouts, the first to get nerfed in the game, and it was known as a Super Nerf, which it was.  You could tell what characters the devs were playing, as they were the most powerful, until they started playing something else.

I played DAoC for most of a decade, long after it had dried up, even though most good guilds dissapeared or lost almost all members.

At present I much more enjoy World of Tanks.  The biggest problem I see with WoT is that some maps are too small for artillery and tank destroyers [the ones where tier 1 and tier 2 learn to play the game on].  More maps are needed that are arty and TD friendly.  The graphics have improved, especially if you have a computer that can display all the detail.  The best part it is fun, even if most people playing PUG games have no clue how to play, -- at any tier.

If anyone decides to play WoT find a clan.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Odd.  I lost formating in my above post.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Who says RvR has to have three realms? If their is more than one realm facing off against each other then it's RvR. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Who says RvR has to have three realms? If their is more than one realm facing off against each other then it's RvR. 

First off no one but Mythic can use the term RvR because it is trademarked.  Second if you add any more factions to a RvR™ type system you dilute the population to much and go from the realm of faction PvP to clan warfare.  Now this isnt necessarily bad and I woudlnt mind seeing a new MMO that used this type of PvP but then again you basically remove all pretextes of being in a faction conflict.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Warhammer Online is an RvR game with two factions and it was created by the developer that invented the term.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by MaxJac

If your logic is that Mythic made RvR and did it with three factions so three factions is needed, consider that they also made Warhammer Online. WAR has two factions with RvR. RvR does not demand a certain number of sides. RvR is more about large scale battles than the number of sides, if you go by what Mythic has said.

This is true, if you consider Mythic to be an entity in company title alone.  But the powerhouse creators behind the RvR model for Mythic was not a part of the broken 2 faction design that EA mythic created when the Mythic CEO was forced by shareholders to step down - since the game was an immediate failure.

Wiki states: Origin

In 2001, Mythic Entertainment introduced a new team-based form of PvP combat with the release of Dark Age of Camelot and called it Realm versus Realm.[1][4] In RvR, players of each realm team up to fight against players from the opposing realms in team-based combat."

And while you are correct toi say that you don't theoretically need a third realm - the folks who coined the term RvR (before EA destroyed the company)...had 3 realms and thusly I believe that implies that the model was "intended" for 3 realm immersion.

Granted, again, you are correct because you could have a bug on a log and title it RvR when he fights another bug.  The problem is, developers are doing what's easiest, and have been trained to believe that an mmorpg is something that is born to fail - the idea is you get as much investment as possible to market and create a lot of flash, then get players hooked for 1-3 months, and hope you can cover costs, make a profit, then move on to another project while your mmorpg goes F2P for long term profits.

Very frustrating.

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    Aeria picks the crappiest looking games...I really don't get it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The point I was trying to make was that two faction warfare does not work.  The original rvr had three factions and it worked well.  With two factions, one side is always going to be dominent.  Hence this game is broken before it is even released.
  • CrazieMagooCrazieMagoo Member Posts: 3
    The problem with this game is it crashes wayyyyy too much...