Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did all the hardcores leave?

2»

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Larsa

It certainly looks like many of the hardcore fans on the forums here have left. We might be down to 10 or so ...

I have an excuse, I almost died 3 weeks ago, am finally home and am still recovering! Been too tired for GW2 the last couple days, but may hop on tonight. :)

I appreciate the point made by the OP. Many "hardcore" players "burned twice as bright, but burned out four times as fast". Many of them do so out of habit, with no MMO ever keeping them beyond a month or two.

Some of us play hardcore hours, but still have the ability to recognize and appreciate a game "with legs" and can make the mental shift needed to settle into a mode of play supportive of long term, ongoing game play.

I hit 80 with my Prime fairly early. I hit "the wall" for a day, wondering "ok, what do I do next". Then, I shifted my thinking, stopped worrying about "end game progression" and started playing GW2 more like Slyrim than a typical MMO. I hit the 475+ hour mark before illness struck me down and was still having as much fun as I did the first week. It didn't matter if I was playing a level 80 well past the point where I reached the level cap, or a lower level alt, I have found no lack of fun from GW2.

I think many casuals will still face the speed bump of having to adjust their expectations of how they should approach an MMO. Let's face it, most of the titles since vanilla WoW have almost "ruined" MMO players via game design that has been desructive to the genre. The casuals that can adapt to this game probably will be able to get a year or two of game play from the content at launch pretty easily. With no sub fee, that's just an incredible prospect.

I'm curious to see how the game evolves if there is a shift more towards a casual player base. I think there is still plenty here for hard core players able to make the "paradigm shift", but I can also see this being a very enjoyable playground for players with more casual play habits for years to come.

Welcome back

Thank you! :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I'm still playing almost every day.  I can't wait for an expansion pack or the next game to try an bring in some of the features of GW2 (exploration, DE's, B2P, and no mob-tagging)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

It certainly looks like many of the hardcore fans on the forums here have left. We might be down to 10 or so ...

I have an excuse, I almost died 3 weeks ago, am finally home and am still recovering! Been too tired for GW2 the last couple days, but may hop on tonight. :)

I appreciate the point made by the OP. Many "hardcore" players "burned twice as bright, but burned out four times as fast". Many of them do so out of habit, with no MMO ever keeping them beyond a month or two.

Some of us play hardcore hours, but still have the ability to recognize and appreciate a game "with legs" and can make the mental shift needed to settle into a mode of play supportive of long term, ongoing game play.

I hit 80 with my Prime fairly early. I hit "the wall" for a day, wondering "ok, what do I do next". Then, I shifted my thinking, stopped worrying about "end game progression" and started playing GW2 more like Slyrim than a typical MMO. I hit the 475+ hour mark before illness struck me down and was still having as much fun as I did the first week. It didn't matter if I was playing a level 80 well past the point where I reached the level cap, or a lower level alt, I have found no lack of fun from GW2.

I think many casuals will still face the speed bump of having to adjust their expectations of how they should approach an MMO. Let's face it, most of the titles since vanilla WoW have almost "ruined" MMO players via game design that has been desructive to the genre. The casuals that can adapt to this game probably will be able to get a year or two of game play from the content at launch pretty easily. With no sub fee, that's just an incredible prospect.

I'm curious to see how the game evolves if there is a shift more towards a casual player base. I think there is still plenty here for hard core players able to make the "paradigm shift", but I can also see this being a very enjoyable playground for players with more casual play habits for years to come.

I'm glad you are okay now, and I agree with your post. I'm hardcore GW2 player with 610 hours now, and still have tons of stuff to do.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    There never was anything hardcore about Gw2, and the fact that the game felt like 3 games patched together didint really help.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Another one of these threads huh?

Another one of these people fed-up with these threads who can't resist the temptaion to post in them huh?

Sorry... couldn't resist. I love irony. image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Then its now time to tell the casualls about the paradise that is GW2...

For me its still the best MMO game since WoW. 

Thats with nearly 300 hours in 2 months of gameplay...

I probably have about that many hours and I'm still there too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    For a game where all the hardcores have left there sure are a lot of folks boasting about their hours.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

since when wow was good?

Since their sales numbers agree with me...

ROFLMAO!!!!  Please come up with a real point.  The "it has the most subs" arguement makes all you sound like lemmings following the leader blindly as he heads over a cliff.  I'm personally glad has so many subs, it keeps most of the kids out of the other games.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Your at the GW2 magic mark Bachus. Hardcores hit that mark in and around 3 weeks. I truly hope that you make it beyond and that you have found your game to play for years to come. 

As for the hardcores, the pve'rs never came. The majority of the pvp'rs left around that 3 week mark. I say this with the current number of Spvp servers as proof. Prime time the servers never go above 30. During the first three weeks they hoverd between 180-200+ 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Well then time to update your signature, huh?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Welcome back

It was you who made that post a couple few weeks ago. I wished you well then, and am happy your still with us now. image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Welcome back, fiontar, I hope you will fully recover and won't have to worry about that illness ever again :)

Originally posted by eyelolled
    I'm still playing almost every day.  I can't wait for an expansion pack or the next game to try an bring in some of the features of GW2 (exploration, DE's, B2P, and no mob-tagging)

Games are already copying those features. LOTRO added some in the last expansions: no mob tagging, "dynamic" questing (it's not exactly events, but you get quests on the fly at some places), and even a jumping puzzle (which some LOTRO players are whining about even if the quest is totally optional). TESO is obviously copying some too.

But don't listen to me - listen to the experts saying that GW2 will have no impact on the industry ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Casual means exactly that => how much you play. You played roughly 37.5 hours a week and you say you are not hardcore? Casuals are people like me who play 2-8 hours a week. You are hardcore. 37.5 hours  a week is the normal working hours in the UK.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    So hours played is the measure of hardcore?

There are several meanings to hardcore gamers and several of those refer to number of hours they spend on gaming, or even just discussing gaming, per day. See there's even a class of mid-core (or core) players in between casual and hardcore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer

Here's some more "definitions"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hardcore%20gamer

In most cases, number of hours played per day is indeed a measure.

imageimage
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Good to know you're getting better. image fiontar, and as other have said, welcome back.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Lord.BachusThe difference between hardcore and casual is not so much in the math and the numbers of hours, but more in the reason and how we play games

Gw2 should have been perfect for me on paper,I dislike raids and big grinds for shiny loot,I like questing,rvr ,exploration and game lore.Too bad my main character is around lv 58 and I don't feel any motivation to log in anymore,rvr is not a decent way to lv your character and far from the fun I had in tier 1-3 of rvr in War,poi-vistas-loading screens and mob density seem to have taken away from me any desire to explore the maps (the fact the world didn't look interesting enough ,with same monsters,so many bleak colored zones didn't help much ) and the only memorable characters I met were during the personal story which is not enough to make me care about lore.
    As FrodoFragins said :"The hardcores probably grinded whatever it was they really wanted. Casuals like me just didn't think the rewards justified the grind.",what is the point to get to 80 when the zones will be even worse (like Orr) and the wvw would still be boring ?

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

+1. One of the best games for casuals thats for sure :)

Still need to get 100% competion, do Arah dungeon for armor, CoF for helm, try out all other dungeon and all their paths, do them many more times with friends just coz its fun annnnnd just maaayybeee roll in an alt. 

Can't wait for the November update :D!

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    yes they did. You scared them off... omg what a question... Here let me look at my list... Im sure all hardcore players play for 24/7... hmmm
  • ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by eldaris

Originally posted by Lord.BachusThe difference between hardcore and casual is not so much in the math and the numbers of hours, but more in the reason and how we play games

Gw2 should have been perfect for me on paper,I dislike raids and big grinds for shiny loot,I like questing,rvr ,exploration and game lore.Too bad my main character is around lv 58 and I don't feel any motivation to log in anymore,rvr is not a decent way to lv your character and far from the fun I had in tier 1-3 of rvr in War,poi-vistas-loading screens and mob density seem to have taken away from me any desire to explore the maps (the fact the world didn't look interesting enough ,with same monsters,so many bleak colored zones didn't help much ) and the only memorable characters I met were during the personal story which is not enough to make me care about lore.
    As FrodoFragins said :"The hardcores probably grinded whatever it was they really wanted. Casuals like me just didn't think the rewards justified the grind.",what is the point to get to 80 when the zones will be even worse (like Orr) and the wvw would still be boring ?

Well im glad you are playing something else. no point of being in a guild wars 2 if everything you said is true arent you wasting your time?  No wonder you game bored so easily. Posting in what you consider is a useless boring game. Maybe you should go back to wow.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I know you're enjoying the game, but you've threads like this where the title is a little misleading and then you praise the game, which is then followed by agreement and argument. There's not really anything wrong with this thread per se, but you've made ones like this before. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.