Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-GW2-Beta "You" something about GW2, what would you

Comments

• UnderbridgeUnderbridge Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Underbridge

It doesn't have an economy that can be played or in depth crafting.

A guildy has over 90g from "playing the economy" and crafting. But I guess there's no economy that can be played... if you say so. I'll tell my friend that his 90g don't exist, he may have a chuckle ;-)

For the rest of the post... no, GW2 is NOT a WoW clone, and thankfully so.

Wow......Did you even read my post? I stated that it didn't have those WoW like elements and then I stated the end game that they advertised and how it didn't live up to my expectations it their implementation...more like it sounds more fun that it is. 

And no, this isn't a good economy to play. Nearly every item sells for almost what it does to a vendor. The auction house being across multiple servers makes lots of surpluses rather than shortages. Sure you can play it, but it is not nearly as interesting.

Do jump on every GW2 post and defend it when it isn't even being attacked?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

I don't jump on anything, I just correct obvious misinformation.

And about my "WoW clone" comment... your second sentence is "It doesn't have a "epic" gear or rare skills  to obtain.". Then you say "The cosmetic gear didn't hold the same draw for me as something with better stats.". That pretty much describes a gear grind based WoW clone.

PS: I have nothing against WoW, I'm definitely not a WoW hater, played it for 8 years and plan to play it again sometimes to go through Pandaland at least once.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Sure it offers endgame in the form of dungeons and PvP, but I didn't expect having no gear grind for PvE or PvP to make the game feel so pointless and progression free, I didn't expect Dynamic events to make the game less social than solo quest hub grinding and I didn't expect PvP to be so boring, zergy and imbalanced.

+1

I would tell myself: This is not the game you are looking for.

Decent game, but it didn't hook me.

I don't jump on anything, I just correct obvious misinformation.

And about my "WoW clone" comment... your second sentence is "It doesn't have a "epic" gear or rare skills  to obtain.". Then you say "The cosmetic gear didn't hold the same draw for me as something with better stats.". That pretty much describes a gear grind based WoW clone.

PS: I have nothing against WoW, I'm definitely not a WoW hater, played it for 8 years and plan to play it again sometimes to go through Pandaland at least once.

And then I said  Granted it was known about the first two as well as raids. Implying that I knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be in the game.

I was simply stating that it doesn't have a traditional end game grind and that it's replacement didn't seem to have the same draw for me. Since this thread is about having a conversation with myself in the past during beta, I would think this would be something relevant that I would tell myself. Though I too was excited about the changes, I am finding that I prefer some of the older systems better.  This is a matter of personal preference.

There was no misinformation. To be honest, you did jump on this and it was kind of trollish of you.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    you won't miss WoW

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

And then I said  Granted it was known about the first two as well as raids. Implying that I knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be in the game.

I was simply stating that it doesn't have a traditional end game grind and that it's replacement didn't seem to have the same draw for me. Since this thread is about having a conversation with myself in the past during beta, I would think this would be something relevant that I would tell myself. Though I too was excited about the changes, I am finding that I prefer some of the older systems better.  This is a matter of personal preference.

There was no misinformation. To be honest, you did jump on this and it was kind of trollish of you.

Yeah, I know what you said: you said that after trying GW2's system, you regret the WoW clone gear grind model. You actually realized you like to grind for stats. I never said it was wrong or right, I just said I'm happy that for a change, GW2 is NOT based on that model, I'm aware some people need the gear carrot and won't like it.

All I was doing is fixing the misinformation you gave about the inability to "play the economy", which is blatantly wrong. YOU may not have been able to "play the economy" in GW2, but if people managed to do it, then it IS possible, and what you said is therefore obviously wrong. Note that I don't play the economy either, but I don't do that in any game, it's not my thing, yet I'm not here saying that because I don't do it, it's not possible.

And I will ignore the last sentence of your post for now, but know that retaliation is forbidden on this forum, and that includes what you did in that last sentence. I'd remove that before a moderator sees it (and then I'll remove this part of my post too, and this comment).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Buy the game, it will be a solid mmorpg.

But for the love of god ignore all the press, the manifestos and anything that has to do with the game´s hype or you will be bitterly disappointed and probably enjoy it less than you woul´d ve otherwhise.

Have fun.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Go back to the future and just play games that are fun, and don't let others try to dicate to you what is and isn't an enjoyable way to spend recreation time.

Yeah, I know what you said: you said that after trying GW2's system, you regret the WoW clone gear grind model. You actually realized you like to grind for stats. I never said it was wrong or right, I just said I'm happy that for a change, GW2 is NOT based on that model, I'm aware some people need the gear carrot and won't like it.

All I was doing is fixing the misinformation you gave about the inability to "play the economy", which is blatantly wrong. YOU may not have been able to "play the economy" in GW2, but if people managed to do it, then it IS possible, and what you said is therefore obviously wrong. Note that I don't play the economy either, but I don't do that in any game, it's not my thing, yet I'm not here saying that because I don't do it, it's not possible.

And I will ignore the last sentence of your post for now, but know that retaliation is forbidden on this forum, and that includes what you did in that last sentence. I'd remove that before a moderator sees it (and then I'll remove this part of my post too, and this comment).

To which I replied, "And no, this isn't a good economy to play. Nearly every item sells for almost what it does to a vendor. The auction house being across multiple servers makes lots of surpluses rather than shortages. Sure you can play it, but it is not nearly as interesting." This is why the game, for me, is a poor game to play the economy. Again this was a conversation that I would be having with myself. There was no "misinformation" here.

I won't remove my last statement, because I wasn't attacking you. I just stated that your actions appear to be kind of trollish. I personally have nothing against you. I just think you jumped on my post like I was a hater and all I was saying was what I would tell myself. Unlike other people on this forum, I am not trying to convince anyone as to whether they should like a game or not. Just play your game.

I would be happy to discuss why I think the economy is weak, but that would have to be another thread and I have no desire to derail this thread further. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Creslin4321
    I would tell myself that in the future, people on MMORPG.com will find many creative ways to rehash the same old subject of "Do you like/hate GW2?"  Because apparently, letting people know your opinion on the game 500 times is very, very important.

You know your post count is creeping up again....before you know it you'll be a spotlight poster.

Problem is you actually have to post something interesting and constructive to get that title not flounce around like a big girls blouse deleting accounts and making new ones becuase someone somewhere posted a bad thing about their favorite game. Look at this thread MMOExposed asked a fun question (its has time travel in it whats more fun than that?) that can be answered in many different ways and what do the fans of the game do? accuse him and others of being haters, says it all really.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Creslin4321Creslin4321 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    I would tell myself that in the future, people on MMORPG.com will find many creative ways to rehash the same old subject of "Do you like/hate GW2?"  Because apparently, letting people know your opinion on the game 500 times is very, very important.

You know your post count is creeping up again....before you know it you'll be a spotlight poster.

Problem is you actually have to post something interesting and constructive to get that title not flounce around like a big girls blouse deleting accounts and making new ones becuase someone somewhere posted a bad thing about their favorite game. Look at this thread MMOExposed asked a fun question (its has time travel in it whats more fun than that?) that can be answered in many different ways and what do the fans of the game do? accuse him and others of being haters, says it all really.

Well first, I didn't accuse him of being a hater.  All I said was that this thread was just another way for people to state whether they like GW2 or not.  And come on, you know it is.  There are only two main answers that people will give to this question and they are:

1.  I would tell myself to definitely buy GW2 = I like GW2.

2.  I would tell myself to not buy GW2 = I don't like GW2.

Also...in order to be a spotlight poster I think you have to post in the pub.  It just means that one of your threads was put "In the spotlight" (stickied) by the mods.

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Nothing, because I'm not obsessive with video games >.>
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

"You can buy the game without thinking twice, it's the best value for money for a MMORPG since a long, long time."

Agreed, very well said.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I guess I would tell myself it was worth the $60.
  • kithekithe Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I would tell myself to wait and get it from the 9.99 basket as I would not play it anyhow. It's a good game, I just got sidetracked and pulled into other projects so the money could have been better saved. 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    That the game is awesome, go for gold son.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Well first, I didn't accuse him of being a hater.  All I said was that this thread was just another way for people to state whether they like GW2 or not.  And come on, you know it is.  There are only two main answers that people will give to this question and they are:

1.  I would tell myself to definitely buy GW2 = I like GW2.

2.  I would tell myself to not buy GW2 = I don't like GW2.

Also...in order to be a spotlight poster I think you have to post in the pub.  It just means that one of your threads was put "In the spotlight" (stickied) by the mods.

I didn't mean you personally with the accusation of hater towards MMOExposed it was a general comment as to the really tetchy nature of GW2 fans. I'm giving MMOExposed the benefit of the doubt here because he hasn't been around these forums lately and I think its a fun interesting question whether the game has or hasn't lived up to their expectations and it also gives room to be imaginative with your answers but fans are not seeing that way as always seems the case, lighten up and have some fun its only a game after all.

And yes that is how you get the Spotlight Poster title and some of us are proud of it so we display it.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Zzad
    I would tell myself that there was a reason that the betas only lasted a weekend, and that was because if it went any longer, we would have realized how shallow the game was and that there really is no end game.

What´s up with this "there is no end-game" bull***?

GW2 offers the exact same end-game than any other MMO in the market except  for Raiding....

and we all knew it wasn´t going to have Raids long before it launched.

Maybe some of you should simply tell your "own self" in the "time travel" to read better the previews and info about the game....

No it doesn't. It doesn't have a "epic" gear or rare skills  to obtain.

Have you heard of "Legendary Weapons"? 

Again if cosmetic rewards are not enough for you.... it´s ok...but it was well known before launch that GW2 does not have gear grinding as in WoW where you need better & better stats to keep on going.

I still think some (a lot) of you were expecting a WoW 2.0...and no folks...GW2 is not that.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    I would tell myself that there was a reason that the betas only lasted a weekend, and that was because if it went any longer, we would have realized how shallow the game was and that there really is no end game.

What´s up with this "there is no end-game" bull***?

GW2 offers the exact same end-game than any other MMO in the market except  for Raiding....

and we all knew it wasn´t going to have Raids long before it launched.

Maybe some of you should simply tell your "own self" in the "time travel" to read better the previews and info about the game....

No it doesn't. It doesn't have a "epic" gear or rare skills  to obtain.

Have you heard of "Legendary Weapons"? 

Again if cosmetic rewards are not enough for you.... it´s ok...but it was well known before launch that GW2 does not have gear grinding as in WoW where you need better & better stats to keep on going.

I still think some (a lot) of you were expecting a WoW 2.0...and no folks...GW2 is not that.

Lots of people were guaranteeing GW2 would still have a holy trinity a few days before release and when we said it wouldn't they wouldn't believe it.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• steeldragonzsteeldragonz Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by MMOExposed If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-GW2-Beta "You" something about GW2, what would you tell yourself?
      Stay away from these forums as the troll-ratio is too high....   Which is why I rarely come here anymore...

lol rarely come here but look at your post count for the amount of time you have been active hehe.

• NikecowNikecow Member UncommonPosts: 31

I would say this:

"You ignorant fool, do you really expect that this game will be fun, even after all the warning signs. Signs you ask ? Yes, they are everywhere, you just choose to ignore them. Of course... You want to start fresh, with no prejudices or hype but there is no excuse for being ignorant.  Yes most of us are bored! Buying GW2 however, will only make it worse. Don't pull a second SWTOR bro....."

I still feel my purchase was more a personal failure than a money loss. Oh well, guess I had to find out the hard way D:

They see me lurkin' they hatin...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'd tell myself "Yup, you're right. You will need 8 slots for your alts."
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

In addition to my previous post, I would also suggest that I make sure I have time set aside to respond when I make a thread which might be controversial, so I don't come back to a locked thread with no chance to better explain my point.

Oh, and I'd also tell myself to not eat chicken from McDonalds.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I would travel back and find myself planning to ignore GW2 and play MoP instead!

I would get there just in time to say... "You're good. Carry on."

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    I would tell myself, BUY GEMS BEFORE HALLOWEEN! Lots!