Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I block people for hating on a game I like

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Don't forget the two steps required to Start an Argument On A Forum:

1.  Post an opinion.

2.  Wait.

But it gets pretty quiet, if you accept only agreeable positions; what's the point of visiting a message board at all?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by eyelolled

So I've been playing a particular game for quite a while and enjoying it alot. This game has been getting alot of mention and alot of people dissing it, saying that it's a fail game, and they feel cheated from the developers. This predominately comes from a small number of people but these people seem to feel that this game doesn't deserve it's reveiws. There have been people that used to play but now feel the need to share their "time to quit" with the world, which is their right and I have no intention on saying they shouldn't post.

The thing is, that if I like this game, and these other people don't, then why should I concern myself with their opinion? When I first came to mmorpg.com, I wanted to get insight into other mmo's. I wanted to find out what games would be good for me, and what games wouldn't suit my interest. I wanted to be a part of a "community of my peers" so to speak.

However, finding that these people with drastic differences in opinion to my own, post things that are contrary to my own perspective. This taints the gainful knowledge that I may obtain for what games would suit my preferences. It behooves me to bypass their opinion and look to others that share the same preferences as my own.

So I find that if a person decides that the games I enjoy, are not enjoyable, than why would their perspective on future games match my preference?

I do feel disappointed at this conclusion, as I've felt that many of these people offer their opinions in a valid manner. However that does not change the fact that I don't want to miss out on games I may enjoy just because someone that has a different set of likes and dislikes posted negatively on it.

Thanks for reading.

Note: This thread is about being selective on reveiws and impressions, NOT what game I like or dislike.

Haha, just getting one side of the story is ridiculous, how can you call yourself informed if all you do is listen to the one side that agrees with your stance? Of COURSE you are going to hear what you want to hear because you only want to read things that follow your train of thought. Not a very good way to go about seeing the whole picture...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I hope the OP can't read this.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So I've been playing a particular game for quite a while and enjoying it alot. This game has been getting alot of mention and alot of people dissing it, saying that it's a fail game, and they feel cheated from the developers. This predominately comes from a small number of people but these people seem to feel that this game doesn't deserve it's reveiws. There have been people that used to play but now feel the need to share their "time to quit" with the world, which is their right and I have no intention on saying they shouldn't post.

The thing is, that if I like this game, and these other people don't, then why should I concern myself with their opinion? When I first came to mmorpg.com, I wanted to get insight into other mmo's. I wanted to find out what games would be good for me, and what games wouldn't suit my interest. I wanted to be a part of a "community of my peers" so to speak.

However, finding that these people with drastic differences in opinion to my own, post things that are contrary to my own perspective. This taints the gainful knowledge that I may obtain for what games would suit my preferences. It behooves me to bypass their opinion and look to others that share the same preferences as my own.

So I find that if a person decides that the games I enjoy, are not enjoyable, than why would their perspective on future games match my preference?

I do feel disappointed at this conclusion, as I've felt that many of these people offer their opinions in a valid manner. However that does not change the fact that I don't want to miss out on games I may enjoy just because someone that has a different set of likes and dislikes posted negatively on it.

Thanks for reading.

Note: This thread is about being selective on reveiws and impressions, NOT what game I like or dislike.

I don't think your reasoning is very sound. You said "However that does not change the fact that I don't want to miss out on games I may enjoy just because someone that has a different set of likes and dislikes posted negatively on it."

How would reading a negative opinion "miss out on games i may enjoy"? No one says you have to act on that negative opinion (i.e. not to play the game)?

Knowing an opinion different from yours has nothing to do with your own behavior. If you will miss out on a game just because you read a negative opinion, then may be you agree with it. If that is the case, it does you a favor and informs you that you may not like the game as much after all.

Either case, you win and lose nothing.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I make a conscious effort to see the viewpoints that don't mesh with mine. It's kind of like survival of the fittest.

The problem is that I don't automatically shut up when someone has decided my ideas are no longer worth listening to.

( although I would like to believe that few people encounter this problem with me, I do have a few not-entirely-live horses I persist in riding )

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

Originally posted by dave6660 Isn't this how extremism breeds?  A group of like minded people shut themselves off from differing opinions and believe thier view is the only view.  Slowly the views become distorted and exaggerated with nobody around to temper or question them.

Exactly why embargo's do not work.

Here we go. I knew at least one thread today would go haring off into the yonder at some point.

That type of thing happens anyway, whether embargoes exist or not. It's part of what our brains do, filtering out content we don't need (like).

Extreme points of view aren't caused by filtered information, filtered information happens because of extreme points of view.

That was the point man, I was trying to (failed) derail this ego trip of a thread for fun sake.

If a people cannot see "extreme" views  then how can they learn to cope and face them?

It's actually the head in the sand mentality here. One that will not listen to alarms because "it's extreme" it's more along the lines of ignoring hurricane whisles because they are annoying.

What can actually be defined by extreme, old folks think mt.dew and snow boarding is extreme.

As a matter of fact if you are filtering any information you've already entered a bias state. "This information is not good to me so I ignore it", that is incredibly anti-social.

All views can be truly seen as extreme by someone somewhere, and thus humans are the problem!

I disigree with the above statement, extreme would be " RC cola, and Moon Pies " and why would you ride a sheet of Plywood in the winter ?

Holy crap that was awesome.

So what do you allt hink of moonpies? I haven't found a fresh one in like 20 years , I am absolutely sure the last one I ate was minted on my birthdate.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by dave6660 Isn't this how extremism breeds?  A group of like minded people shut themselves off from differing opinions and believe thier view is the only view.  Slowly the views become distorted and exaggerated with nobody around to temper or question them.

Here we go. I knew at least one thread today would go haring off into the yonder at some point.

That type of thing happens anyway, whether embargoes exist or not. It's part of what our brains do, filtering out content we don't need (like).

Extreme points of view aren't caused by filtered information, filtered information happens because of extreme points of view.

That was the point man, I was trying to (failed) derail this ego trip of a thread for fun sake.

If a people cannot see "extreme" views  then how can they learn to cope and face them?

It's actually the head in the sand mentality here. One that will not listen to alarms because "it's extreme" it's more along the lines of ignoring hurricane whisles because they are annoying.

What can actually be defined by extreme, old folks think mt.dew and snow boarding is extreme.

As a matter of fact if you are filtering any information you've already entered a bias state. "This information is not good to me so I ignore it", that is incredibly anti-social.

All views can be truly seen as extreme by someone somewhere, and thus humans are the problem!

I disigree with the above statement, extreme would be " RC cola, and Moon Pies " and why would you ride a sheet of Plywood in the winter ?

So what do you allt hink of moonpies? I haven't found a fresh one in like 20 years , I am absolutely sure the last one I ate was minted on my birthdate.

wow that shit is cruel to animals.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    i dont know why theres 4 pages of replies. 80% of the posts in it he wount see anyway LOL.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I have never, ever, not tried a game because people on forums didn't like it. I have, however, tried games because people on forums did like it.

Guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

Way I see it, if others like something there's a chance I might as well. Always worth a try if it's a possibility.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

wow that shit is cruel to animals.

Whatever we sent monkey's into space with no return chances, exploded animals in sub orbit and you are saying that dressing a dog up in the enterprise is cruel?

Nay sir. Nay.

Cruel is smashing your dogs scull in day and out, this is just mildly amusing and the dog paying it's dues IE eating and living for free. It's his job. Now correct me if I am wrong but nowhere is this dog looking as though it's suffering.

It's stupid to animals, not cruelty.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I don't know what is the point to coming to open  forums if one can not handle opposing opinions. Why not jist stick to fan sites?

Originally posted by RefMinor
    I hope the OP can't read this.

rofl

Thanks for reading.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Sigh, Sadley I feel they have went the way of " Choc-Cola " Life is crule and then you start drooliing ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Thanks for reading.

I'm a bully and I'm sorry
    General Discussion « The Secret World

8/25/12 7:29:51 AM

Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    With all the TSW fans that troll GW2, I'll be happy to watch it burn.  If funcom fails at making a game worth playing, and it only appeals to players that only know how to trash other games, then why would bankrupcy not be the solution.  I'm sure all the TSW fanboi's can go back to WoW.

TSW fans trolling GW2? I've seen hundreds of troll posts by tens of GW2 fantrolls in TSW forum.

To OP: as a TSW player I salute you. 

Well I guess you can wish that GW2 fails, and I can wish that TSW fails, and we'll see who's wish comes true first

Nope I don't wish any game faling. Why should I? I just don't like GW2 - absolutely nothing in it interests me. You again spend your valuable minutes of your existence lurking in TSW forum spitting poison. Then again this is a regular behaviour of a GW2 fanboi as seen so many times in this site and many others.

Meh, I don't need to try and make TSW fail, in case you haven't noticed, it already is.  I've just decided to bring out some marshmellows while things slowly burn away.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

I can understand op. The truth is everyone are faffected by negativity and on forums you will hear that the game basically kills it's players and it's the worst crime to play it. If you want to keep reading forums it's sometimes better to simply live not knowing what problems some people have.

generally I don't block those people but I try to stay away from threads full of complaining.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Meh, I don't need to try and make TSW fail, in case you haven't noticed, it already is.  I've just decided to bring out some marshmellows while things slowly burn away.

Yeah when i don't like a game personaly i label it as a failure too. I know how things work around here. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I'll admit, the block is a useful tool for those repeatly negative, unproductive, liar, troll-like posters so you can keep track of how many grains of salt to take their opinion. It doesn't mean that you are going to completely ignore what the have to say indefinately nor you can't change your mind about them.
  • tocsixtocsix Member Posts: 10
     OP I can understand you not wanting to hear the constant crying about games and bashing of games you like but people might bring up negative topics about a game mechanic that can open your eyes to it being bad and when you think about it a second time you might find yourself often agreeing to with them. I seriously suggest you just ignore trolls but all because somebody doesnt agree with you that its the best game ever and says negative things isnt a reason to ignore them and that is seriously closed minded if i have to be honest. Imagine you only like red heads with glasses and your soulmate is really a blonde who wears contacts, you will miss out bigtime. Be open to new experiences in games because you might try something new and like it even more than the specifics you are cornering yourself off to. 
    hmm no responce from the op yet in his own thread. dare i say hes blocked everyone?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Thanks for reading.

Oh FFS! Now we have to worry about how you personally define what a hater is too?  Just do me a favor and block me now.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Honestly I just think your a wuss who can't handle other peoples opinions well. I actually welcome peoples opinions on the game I play, its not going to stop me from playing it, its just intersting to hear what others thing and why they dislike it. Also what game are we talking about?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Translation and sumary:

Like any proper "you-know-what-game" fanboi, my eyes bleed if I read anything different that "you-know-what-game is the best MMO ever, and it also cures cancer".  So, I put fingers in my ears as deep as I can and start my "la-la-la-la" as loud as I can, while I close my eyes as closed as humanly possible.

Becouse, you know, forums are not meant to discuss things but to tell me "you are right, you have been right all this time and you will be right for ever and ever til the end of times".

This is just getting ridiculous already.

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Thanks for reading.

Only seeing things from your POV or from likeminded people is how wars start in the real world. World War 2 and Hitler is a great example of this. He blamed the Jews for everything wrong with the world and anyone that did not share this view was exiled out of the country or sent to concentration camps.

This is an idiotic view that is for close minded nieve people that don't have the mental maturity to learn from others or listen to the outside world that doesn't exist in their little bubble.

Very stupid and nieve way of thinking, and above all dangerous.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Locking this because it's essentially kind of a meta sort of thread that serves only to bait people, whether intentionally or not.  These kinds of threads serve to just cause arguments, especially if not aimed at specific people. But it can't be aimed at specific people because that would be a callout or a personal attack. There's just no way a thread like this is productive at all.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.