Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] TERA: Five Things TERA Got Right

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Questing like this is very old school and a cheap way of throwing together a leveling experience,it's hardly a good thing. That being said ....

Saying that quick mounting for the sake of making an outdated questing system better is like saying that we should continue using oil driven cars just because we've had so much experience with them. It doesn't matter that it's heating our planet, just as long as it improves travel times for an outdated system.

So really is that something to be proud of? imo. no.

Using highlights like Animations, a single class/trinity system, and WoW style dungeons doesn't really breed confidence that this game deserves the subscription it's asking for notably in 2012.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

The Lancer playstyle has significantly changed since about July or August or so, when Resolve (RE) was introduced for both the Lancer and Warrior and "Wallop" and "Backstep" were added to the Lancer arsenal.

The RE system encourages aggressive play and discourages (heh, disables) turtling.  making everything so much more engaging and with Wallop soloing is a blast.  The Lancer could hit a rough spot around level 40 when mobs started getting significantly higher health and the Lancer would be mana starved.  That's no longer the case. Also the early "poke poke poke" Lancer playstyle was alleviated by Wallop.  have I mentioned I love Wallop?

Another thing and this applies to any MMO.  Group.  When you see that guy fighting in your area say hi and toss him and invite.  Some say no.  But (for me thankfully) most say yes it usually makes for a furn week of buddy leveling.

EME has made a few tweaks over time similar to the insta mount.  Yea you'd think it's such a little thing but damn once you have it it's so hard to understand why no one else does the same.  Now when you are mounted and approach a node or a climbable vine just pressing the interact button automatically dismounts and startrs gathering/climbing on a single button press.  I like that kind of attention to user friendliness.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

Quests and dungeons, channels, as well as the poor pvp/pk and clan war systems = total trash..

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Yeah, the questing got very repeatitive. But the combat is fun. If you try the game you have to play it into the twenties so you get a chance to do the first instance and some bams. they are very fun. Ultimately the best way to play the game is in a group or at least with a partner. Questing goes faster and you can do the bams and instances regularly.

It is also worth pointing out that it can actually be very hard to get a group in the instance matcher as a healer. There are a lot of people playing healers and it is because they are actually fun. You have to position yourself to heal others and have to keep moving to avoid the bosses or bams. Healing plays a lot like dpsing and makes it a lot of fun. I have never see that happen with any other game.

All die, so die well.

Oh you know what.  Since the topic is what they got right let's talk about customer Support for a change:  this is something I don't think I ever see seriously discussed anywhere that talks about MMO's.  It's like it's a given up cause, assumed to be a pointless pursuit. 

EME has (to date) in comparison with other games and publishers done an amazing job at customer care.  It's pretty unnatural and I'm not sure whether it's part of the company's mission statement, strategy, personnel training or what.  But let's put aside the guaranteed discontents you'll always have - in comparison with other companies which are much bigger they treat the customers right.  I'd wish this was given greater attention and encouraged among other gaming companies.  Good customer care should be a crucial part of an online game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by achesoma

I'm always confused when people keep raving about the combat in TERA.  It felt so stinkin slow and clunky to me.  Not fluid feeling whatsoever. 

GFX were very nice though and little to no lag on my 4+ year old rig so kudos for that. 

It's because TERA has progression while you play, of course the combat feels slow at first but once you get more skills, glyphs and movement/attack speed increasing gear, the game gets fast paced especially in pvp. BAMs also start to get faster, especially while enraged at higher levels, always fun to solo IMO.

Originally posted by Reas43

Oh you know what.  Since the topic is what they got right let's talk about customer Support for a change:  this is something I don't think I ever see seriously discussed anywhere that talks about MMO's.  It's like it's a given up cause, assumed to be a pointless pursuit. 

EME has (to date) in comparison with other games and publishers done an amazing job at customer care.  It's pretty unnatural and I'm not sure whether it's part of the company's mission statement, strategy, personnel training or what.  But let's put aside the guaranteed discontents you'll always have - in comparison with other companies which are much bigger they treat the customers right.  I'd wish this was given greater attention and encouraged among other gaming companies.  Good customer care should be a crucial part of an online game.

Also to add to reas' point, EMEs customer service is easily the best in the MMO industry, live service, you open up a window and you're instantly connected with someone who will do things as useless as UN SOULBINDING an item for you so you can put it on another character. That's something i've never experienced before from a company. And they talk to you like a customer, make jokes, even recognize names in your email and you could end up in a discussion about pokemon with them.

I'm one of the few here who still plays TERA here and I look forward to the EME livestreamed battlegroud tournament this weekend.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by achesoma

I'm always confused when people keep raving about the combat in TERA.  It felt so stinkin slow and clunky to me.  Not fluid feeling whatsoever. 

GFX were very nice though and little to no lag on my 4+ year old rig so kudos for that. 

It's because TERA has progression while you play, of course the combat feels slow at first but once you get more skills, glyphs and movement/attack speed increasing gear, the game gets fast paced especially in pvp. BAMs also start to get faster, especially while enraged at higher levels, always fun to solo IMO.

Don't get why people feel that clunky feeling with Tera. Its not meant to be spam happy but at the same time its rather smooth with the control. I think people mistake the animation delay for clunkiness. If you aim a certain direction your going to fire that way. GW2 for example can be really clunky with this due to the fact its 'targetting with skill' mix of odd sorts that makes it a little tricky at times to use skills without having them miss due to the odd angle or other conditions that an aiming system like Tera prevents.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Don't get why people feel that clunky feeling with Tera. Its not meant to be spam happy but at the same time its rather smooth with the control. I think people mistake the animation delay for clunkiness. If you aim a certain direction your going to fire that way.

I think the issue for some people is that they expect to be able to move freely at all times; even when firing off a spell, or an arrow, etc.

But with Tera you need to plant yourself if you are fighting and that throws people off.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I felt as if TERA was supposed to be my new home. It has the look I want in an MMO. The combat. The gear. My goodness the gear. The seamless world. Sigh...

Mhmmm... the gear...

imageimageimage

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

Me and my girlfriend started playing TERA on the 7 day trial and we are having fun. I am playing a Lancer and she is a Berserker.

The questing is normal kill x, fetch x quests, but when your playing with a friend it goes so much faster, dont have problems tackling harder mobs and is just more fun.

I would suggest for solo players to find someone else in the zone your level and team up.

I am very impressed with the Chain Skill system. I love being able to chain my skills together in optimal ways and not having to press 6 different hotkeys to do it.

Graphics are amazing, armor, weapons, scenery all great. Combat is action packed and you feel more connected to your character because your aiming at mobs to kill them instead of auto attacking tab targeting.

Were only lvl 10 so its still "brand new and shiny" but this should keep us happy until Blade and Soul.

We look so forward to GW2 and played for a few months, but it just became boring. We would log in and walk around Lions Arch and look at each other and say "wanna watch TV?"

Guess we really missed mounts and carrots...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I felt as if TERA was supposed to be my new home. It has the look I want in an MMO. The combat. The gear. My goodness the gear. The seamless world. Sigh...

Mhmmm... the gear...

imageimageimage

I'm very tempted!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

They might have got some of this right but this doesn't excuse how bad Enmasse really is as a company.

Remember why I complained so much when I bought the collectors of TERA?

Because I made my account way before the game was ever released I was never required to agree to anything, and when I purchased the game looked in the Manual for an agreement there was a web address that did not take me to the agreement, I know there was a correct one on another link on their page, but assuming I was a dummy I assume there was no agreement.

I also beleived that by buying this game I would have full access to everything in the game including recustomize of characters, I was wrong, instead just after buying the game they told me I had to pay a subscription fee then pay $9.99 USD per character change? Okay I am fine with buying Extra skins, and unlocks, but having to pay $9.99 to change a hair per character, and then change any other little detail on a character no way.

So Paid for one month after got the gold weapon skins then quit the game, I will wait until this game goes Free 2 Play before ever giving it a try again if I do by then there will likely be something else better out than this company.

Also lets not forget how many servers they had on launch I believe it was over 8 servers, and now they got 3 servers?

http://tera.enmasse.com/server-status

This is just very pathetic of a game company, and the only way I am going to return or even give this game a try is when they do what is right and give me what I thought I was actually paying for without being mislead by their company in so many ways.

I wish I had the hundreds of thousands of dollars to sue this company in a big court and lived near one I would absolutely do it over their agreement thing. I spoke to friends who are in the legal business, and they advise me based on the physical evidence I have, and the video I made that it is more than enough to go on.

However my point is just do not play TERA as a game, I would stick to games like.

EVE Online, DarkFall, StarTrek Online, and why you may ask?

Because these games give unlimited customizations for free they do not restrict me to anything once I have paid for it the only restriction in EVE is a resulpt but mining 500 million isk for a plex is like the easiest thing that can be done in any MMO.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    i'll wait for upcoming freemium version haha :)
    Originally posted by Renoaku

*snip*

You're calling them the worst company and you want to sue them because they make you pay to recustomize your character in a cash shop... sorry but not implementing a barber/face surgery shop in game is a design choice made by the developer BHS, as well as having it able to be done through the cash shop.

They have the best customer service in the industry and they do personalized giveaways and even sometimes mess around with you in-game by showing up and joking with you or even giving random flying powers to someone.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    the things they did wrong are far more intense and deal breaker for me than the few things they did right. I want to play again but it is Not worth a sub.

Originally posted by rojo6934
    the things they did wrong are far more intense and deal breaker for me than the few things they did right. I want to play again but it is Not worth a sub.

I bought chronoscrolls until March using in-game gold, they are like 1500-1800g each and at endgame that's really not much.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,549

Tera does have very nice combat, but so many of the game systems and content are either half assed or not done at all.  So once you get to endgame there is virtually nothing to do in the game. 

To make up for such a lack of vision, BHS has created a massive RNG grindfest at endgame to keep players playing, and this does nothing but piss off the playerbase. 

EME can advertise as much as they want, but unlees BHS actually gets rid of the RNG and fixes the games systems and actually adds some real content, Tera won't be going anywhere. 

Originally posted by Kumapon

Tera does have very nice combat, but so many of the game systems and content are either half assed or not done at all.  So once you get to endgame there is virtually nothing to do in the game. 

To make up for such a lack of vision, BHS has created a massive RNG grindfest at endgame to keep players playing, and this does nothing but piss off the playerbase. 

EME can advertise as much as they want, but unlees BHS actually gets rid of the RNG and fixes the games systems and actually adds some real content, Tera won't be going anywhere. 

Wait, what?  Nothing to do at max level?   What the heck have I been busy doing all these months??!?  (Pretty sure it wasn't enchanting - I still hate the current system although it has been improved and has another change coming this month.)

Originally posted by Reas43
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Wait, what?  Nothing to do at max level?   What the heck have I been busy doing all these months??!?  (Pretty sure it wasn't enchanting - I still hate the current system although it has been improved and has another change coming this month.)

Yeah they upped the success rate and 100% alkahest is coming later this month along with BG gear price reductions so new players can get geared quicker.

I expect the ranked 3v3 arena in December.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

the XXXArping going on in general zone channels was a huge turn off. I knew i could turn the channel off but that left me isolated and alone. It got bad..worst ive seen ever

did they ever get there subscription process fixed? it took me 2 weeks and a dozen emails to get my subscription and billing info fixed..both at the start and when I decided to cancel.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

Add some serious end game content -  and not just run a dungeon xxx times on the hope of getting an item with a 0.0000001% drop rate.

Get rid of RNG - not by introducing something you have to buy - just get rid of it. RNG and the western market do not mix. Aion proved that. We don't need it proving again with Tera.

Developers - when you talk about westernizing a game - do your homework properly on the differences between the eastern and western playerbases, remove rng.

Not bothered about the quest grind, old school here - used to it.

As for all the things it did right - doesn't mean jack if the things it did wrong result in significant player drain.

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Add some serious end game content -  and not just run a dungeon xxx times on the hope of getting an item with a 0.0000001% drop rate.

A huge exagerration there... regardless most drops are not BOP, so you know, you get a different item drop or some fodder and you sell it and save up and I don't know... buy the gear off the Auction house?

Also there's no problem with 100% alkahest to counter RNG, it's just like saving up money to buy a better piece of gear, except you're saving up money to increase it's stats guaranteed.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Good points.  But it was indeed the questing which was so....subpar.

If they had taken this game's mechanics and thrown it into the GW2 world....wow.

• squad22345squad22345 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by grimal

Good points.  But it was indeed the questing which was so....subpar.

If they had taken this game's mechanics and thrown it into the GW2 world....wow.

So true, I just can't play normal traditional mmorpgs anymore... Brought GW2 played it  for a month then I was bored.