Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Digging into Free-to-Play

124»

Comments

  • MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYPosts: 5,717Administrator Uncommon
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

    I thought it was hilariously funny their actually restricting FTP players open chat.

    Preferred status = Increased access to Chat and Secure Trading.

    I wonder if you'll get a certain word amount you can post per day, then they cut you off.

    There's a cooldown on general chat, I believe. This is common in F2P games to curb farmers and other abusive players that can just make new accounts.

    Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    premium members do not seem to have that much restrictions on them from what ive read and thats a 5 dollar unlock considering i spent 60$ on this game at release and others get it for free what is 5 bucks? Not trying to stick up for them honestly but what am i missing for premiums that make it so restrictive ? EQ2 had auction house locks , item locks , class and race locks, bag space locks , AA/slider locks at 50% unless you pay 15 a month and lotr online had content locks for anything above 30. So what is making premium for example so bad compared to other freemium games?
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ columbus, OHPosts: 539Member Uncommon
    There needs to be another tier for people who subscribed for 'X' amount of months and/or who have purchased deluxe versions of the game but are no longer subscribed. For example, I've put ~$100 into the game with the digital deluxe version plus 2 months of subscribing. That's probably more money than many F2P players will put into the cash shop. 
  • NetspookNetspook OsloPosts: 1,503Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cronius77
    premium members do not seem to have that much restrictions on them from what ive read and thats a 5 dollar unlock considering i spent 60$ on this game at release and others get it for free what is 5 bucks? Not trying to stick up for them honestly but what am i missing for premiums that make it so restrictive ? EQ2 had auction house locks , item locks , class and race locks, bag space locks , AA/slider locks at 50% unless you pay 15 a month and lotr online had content locks for anything above 30. So what is making premium for example so bad compared to other freemium games?

     

    LOTRO / EQ2:

    When you pay to unlock contents (ie quest packs or expansions), you pay ONCE for your whole account. You don't rent content, meaning paying per week for it. LOTRO and EQ2 dosn't have perfect cash shop models, far from it, but their models are superior compared to this, imo.

  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    Basically, EA is saying bend over to all it's previous subscribers.  This is probably the most restrictive f2p rules I have seen.

    .

    yes, i see it as an insult to previous players

  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 , CAPosts: 2,439Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    There needs to be another tier for people who subscribed for 'X' amount of months and/or who have purchased deluxe versions of the game but are no longer subscribed. For example, I've put ~$100 into the game with the digital deluxe version plus 2 months of subscribing. That's probably more money than many F2P players will put into the cash shop. 

    I agree. The Prefered teir isn't enough for someone like you or me but is one hell of a deal for someone that joins the party late and chips in no more than 5 bucks. I wish there was a tier like you suggest that would include 2 more character slots, larger credit balance, and 2 total hotbars since those are the most crippling restrictions.

    But a lot of what we spent was on a game that had a major drop in value and is now selling retail of $15 which is essentially only buying the sub. Now they only value what the DDE and CE as and extra $5- $10.

  • ghettocelebghettoceleb brush prairie, WAPosts: 76Member Uncommon
    Another game company should just start over with a grity adult type game, and maybe call it Star Wars The NEW Republic. No cartoonish graphics allowed!
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets London, LAPosts: 212Member Uncommon
    Yes I don't know about you but I've always preferred a cash bought Garmorean axe over a free lightsabre...are these people even living on the same planet anymore?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,715Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

    Ok, you're right and I found it. Here. "If you convert to Preferred Status, you will need to choose which two (2) of your characters will remain active, and play those characters within the limits of Free-to-Play access." It is somewhat hidden and not even on the F2P restrictions chart probably because it would make it far to long and frightening if they listed every actual restriction lol.

    Sometime after the F2P launch they will sell character slot unlocks. (source)

     

    This is the most clear explaination

    Ripster: There is a welcome screen that lists a benefit of subscribing as 10 additional slots. Will this mean subscribers will have 22 or that F2P will have 2?
    Blaine: Great question and we want to make sure we’re clear on this one. Subscribers will still have 12 character slots available on a single server. F2P players will have 2 (as will Preferred). At Launch, we are not enforcing the penalty on subscribers who convert to Free-to-Play, but we will in a subsequent patch. A further wrinkle is that if you have more than two and you delete characters at Launch, you will not get that slot back. Example: I have 10 characters as a subscriber this November, but in December I cancel my subscription. When I login, I can still use all 10 characters (for now), but I cannot create new ones and if I delete one, I will have 9 and not be able to create another until I go down to 1. Make sense?

    Thanks for the darthhater link, I only read occasionally some swtor.com so I missed it. But I guess then my character slot concerns are obsolete.

    So, former subscribers can keep all their characters open until a "subsequent patch" and "Players will be able to purchase additional character slots with Cartel Coins shortly after F2P launches." I guess these two will happen at the same time. Maybe they have some problems with the slot conversion, hence the delay from the launch.

    Anyway, it seems a usual f2p setup of character slots, which is good. Sorry for the previous squib, EA :)

  • raapnaapraapnaap LeidenPosts: 397Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Psychow

    Is it true that the free Cartel Coins that previous subscribers have earned are not available to players unless they re-subscribe?

     

    I have "earned" 900 cartel coins but I won't be able to use them unless I re-subscribe? If it's true, that doesn't make much sense. If they want to reward early subscribers and thank them for their initial support and hopefully lure then back to the F2P game, making them subscribe in order to receive that reward is pretty sad.

    I don't see why this would be the case. Where did you hear this?

     

    Under the section labled Rewards Program:

     

    http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121107

     

    Rewards Program

    We also felt it was very important to thank our subscribers for being members of The Old Republic community. To reward all of you, we will grant Complimentary Cartel Coins to every player who has been a subscriber prior to the launch of the Free-To-Play option. The actual size of the grant will depend on how many months you were a paying subscriber prior to our announcement and after our announcement. There will also be special grants to those who purchased the Star Wars: The Old Republic Collector’s Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition. Want to know how many Complimentary Cartel Coins you have earned? Click here to find out! We are literally granting millions of dollars worth of Complimentary Cartel Coins as part of this program. But you’ll only receive a grant of Complimentary Cartel Coins if you’re an active subscriber when the Free-to-Play option goes live!

    A nice kick in the lower body area for any past player that was considering giving this game a second chance.

    I subbed for 2 months I believe, and I still consider it a waste of money that I did so. I was not likely to play this game ever again even with F2P, but I might have given it a quick look to see how much has changed. But they are basically telling me "Fuck off, your past contributions are forgotten".

    So I'll certainly NOT even give this game a second chance, but I'll say good luck to those that will.

    And taking a closer look at what they are selling, along with the free/prefered limitations... Holy shit, no thanks. Why even offer this so-called "f2p" mode when actually PLAYING this game can only be done with a sub. This is just a fancy trial of the game with a cash shop on top of it so existing subscribers can hand over even more money to EA.
     
    Some things just never change.
  • Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Posts: 1,234Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

    Ok, you're right and I found it. Here. "If you convert to Preferred Status, you will need to choose which two (2) of your characters will remain active, and play those characters within the limits of Free-to-Play access." It is somewhat hidden and not even on the F2P restrictions chart probably because it would make it far to long and frightening if they listed every actual restriction lol.

    Sometime after the F2P launch they will sell character slot unlocks. (source)

     

    This is the most clear explaination

    Ripster: There is a welcome screen that lists a benefit of subscribing as 10 additional slots. Will this mean subscribers will have 22 or that F2P will have 2?
    Blaine: Great question and we want to make sure we’re clear on this one. Subscribers will still have 12 character slots available on a single server. F2P players will have 2 (as will Preferred). At Launch, we are not enforcing the penalty on subscribers who convert to Free-to-Play, but we will in a subsequent patch. A further wrinkle is that if you have more than two and you delete characters at Launch, you will not get that slot back. Example: I have 10 characters as a subscriber this November, but in December I cancel my subscription. When I login, I can still use all 10 characters (for now), but I cannot create new ones and if I delete one, I will have 9 and not be able to create another until I go down to 1. Make sense?

    Thanks for the darthhater link, I only read occasionally some swtor.com so I missed it. But I guess then my character slot concerns are obsolete.

    So, former subscribers can keep all their characters open until a "subsequent patch" and "Players will be able to purchase additional character slots with Cartel Coins shortly after F2P launches." I guess these two will happen at the same time. Maybe they have some problems with the slot conversion, hence the delay from the launch.

    Anyway, it seems a usual f2p setup of character slots, which is good. Sorry for the previous squib, EA :)

    Nothing like foreboding prospects of having stuff taken away from you.

    Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
    Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
    .........
    Magic without Technology is fantasy.
    Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
    .........
    Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
    Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.
  • AhnogAhnog Keller, TXPosts: 231Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Psychow

    Is it true that the free Cartel Coins that previous subscribers have earned are not available to players unless they re-subscribe?

     

    I have "earned" 900 cartel coins but I won't be able to use them unless I re-subscribe? If it's true, that doesn't make much sense. If they want to reward early subscribers and thank them for their initial support and hopefully lure then back to the F2P game, making them subscribe in order to receive that reward is pretty sad.

    I don't see why this would be the case. Where did you hear this?

    You have to be subscribed the day of the launch of ftp to recieve any cartel coins from past subscriptions, etc.

    Ahnog

    Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

  • zhivikzhivik SofiaPosts: 38Member

    Basically, it goes like this - if you paid the box price and subscribed for some time after that, but are no longer a subscriber. you get nothing. If you come as a new player, and pay $5 for anything, you get the preferred status. How is this fair? It turns out that that there is absolutely no benefit from having paid for the box price.

    Some have already said it was our fault that we didn't wait. Yet, if this is the way to go, doesn't this automatically doom every subscription-based MMO? I think the Secret World suffered from the SWTOR fiasco, as people have become more cautious, and it was at least trying to do something new. If most people prefer to wait and see, this is going to always lead to poor sales at launch. How often do you think publishers can sustain such MMOs that don't sell well even at launch?

    At least now Bioware will have a few more months to justify the existence of SWTOR by having the new inflow of players with FTP launch. However, if restrictions are indeed considerable, I don't think the game will complete its second year.

  • CrazieMagooCrazieMagoo McLean, TXPosts: 3Member
    Sounds like they are being too greedy. Making you pay to unlock some features I can see but piddily things??? Also capping your credit inventory. Pretty lame if you ask me. I'm going to continue to pass on this game I think.
124»
Sign In or Register to comment.