Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did all the hardcores leave?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Then its now time to tell the casualls about the paradise that is GW2...

For me its still the best MMO game since WoW. 

Thats with nearly 300 hours in 2 months of gameplay...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I noticed more noobs doing dungeons and less people who have done everything in the dungeon groups I've been getting into lately. The "done it all"s were rather impatient so good rididance.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

So the hardcores haven't all left yet then. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

The laughable 'hardcore' claimants are like locusts.   They swarm from new release to new release and grind out the material in as short as time possible, usually while taking as many short-cuts as possible, then move while bashing the old game as 'laughably casual and shallow.'

Take the main story.   To get the bulk of it, you need to play all five races and all three orders.  If you don't, you're going to miss many significant events as those characters carry forward through the game.   And I'm not talking the obvious five -- Logan, Eir, Rytock, Zojja and Caithe.   I'm talking all kinds of NPCs and events from various points in the five racial stories.   I'm talking about various NPCs from each of the orders, NPCs from other events, etc.

In fact, I suspect (but can't prove) that every racial story combination is carried into either the second-to-last or last story-arc and some potential significance.   My human elementalist (lost sister/commoner/circus) who went Priory just met Tegwen and Carys based on her choice vis the Eye of Zhaitan choice at level 74.   Tegwen and Carys were introduced (along with the artifact in the story) in an important level 11-16 (or so) story arc in my Sylvari Mesmer's personal story.

So, when I look at the plague of wothlessness that is the 'hardcore gamer' I get a laugh.  As far as I can see, they've missed virtually everything in this MMO in their rush to get to the end to look down their noses at it...

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Another one of these threads huh?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

[mod edit]

Since their sales numbers agree with me...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Look, just stop with these pointless threads.

You're going to tell everyone how great GW2 is, (for you)  bunch of other folks will hop in and tell you why its not. (for them)

And we'll keep going round and round.  image

Just go play the darn game and give it a rest already.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

It certainly looks like many of the hardcore fans on the forums here have left. We might be down to 10 or so ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Now that I'm older I don't have the time to chew thru content like I used to. I play in a layed back easy going style. I sign on every night for one to two hours and have no difficulty finding something to do whether its spvp, dungeons, wvw, helping friends etc. The game keeps me entertained every night.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Probably. The only hardcore aspect of this game was the RvR and they botched it.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Kyleran

You're going to tell everyone how great GW2 is, (for you)  bunch of other folks will hop in and tell you why its not. (for them)

I like Carousels, has this one got gold ponies on it?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Creslin4321Creslin4321 Member Posts: 19

Agreed...

You know, I bet that half the threads here are probably just thinly veiled "Let's talk about why we like/hate GW2 threads."

I dunno, maybe people really just don't have that much to say so we keep talking about the same things over and over agian.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    The hardcores probably grinded whatever it was they really wanted.  Casuals like me just didn't think the rewards justified the grind.
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    the problem in GW2 its not the end content- its the huge scale of bugs (PVE - every 1 in 2 DE is bugged on Orr, or even worse the bug on one of history path (the Hatchery), this last one its very bad since its bugged over 1 month and 1000's of people are complaining on official foruns me included. WvWvW its a huge crap of confusion and a great deception for me and friends, we really need guild sPvP as we got in GW1 and a huge fix on WxWxW, its not even playable most of the time, i always think for myself: and western people bashed Aion fortress sieges, at least i got really nice battles between asmos and Elyos
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

That adds up to about 2.5HRs a day.  NO thats not what I would call hardcore.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by stayontarget

I'm not too bad with Maths, and I think thats 300/(2x30)=5 hours a day, no? 300 hours, 30 days per month... that's 300/60 yep?

This said I have over 400 hours since release, and no shame at all. Still having a blast in the game.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I'm not too bad with Maths, and I think thats 300/(2x30)=5 hours a day, no? 300 hours, 30 days per month... that's 300/60 yep?

This said I have over 400 hours since release, and no shame at all. Still having a blast in the game.

Math corrected.. image

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NikecowNikecow Member UncommonPosts: 31

I know I did and I consider myself a pretty big fan of MMORPG. At the release I couldn't really find any big flaws but when I reached 22 I suddenly quit. Exactly like I did in SW:TOR.

To anyone who is curious, I did not rush at all. I believe it took me about 40 hours to reach level 20. I tried to 100% most of the areas as well. It's just an aweful game tbh. It looks great and pretty but the core is boring in every way (it has no core?).

They see me lurkin' they hatin...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

^This Preaching against hardcore yet pulling hardcore player hours. So contradictory.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Larsa

It certainly looks like many of the hardcore fans on the forums here have left. We might be down to 10 or so ...

I have an excuse, I almost died 3 weeks ago, am finally home and am still recovering! Been too tired for GW2 the last couple days, but may hop on tonight. :)

I appreciate the point made by the OP. Many "hardcore" players "burned twice as bright, but burned out four times as fast". Many of them do so out of habit, with no MMO ever keeping them beyond a month or two.

Some of us play hardcore hours, but still have the ability to recognize and appreciate a game "with legs" and can make the mental shift needed to settle into a mode of play supportive of long term, ongoing game play.

I hit 80 with my Prime fairly early. I hit "the wall" for a day, wondering "ok, what do I do next". Then, I shifted my thinking, stopped worrying about "end game progression" and started playing GW2 more like Slyrim than a typical MMO. I hit the 475+ hour mark before illness struck me down and was still having as much fun as I did the first week. It didn't matter if I was playing a level 80 well past the point where I reached the level cap, or a lower level alt, I have found no lack of fun from GW2.

I think many casuals will still face the speed bump of having to adjust their expectations of how they should approach an MMO. Let's face it, most of the titles since vanilla WoW have almost "ruined" MMO players via game design that has been desructive to the genre. The casuals that can adapt to this game probably will be able to get a year or two of game play from the content at launch pretty easily. With no sub fee, that's just an incredible prospect.

I'm curious to see how the game evolves if there is a shift more towards a casual player base. I think there is still plenty here for hard core players able to make the "paradigm shift", but I can also see this being a very enjoyable playground for players with more casual play habits for years to come.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Math corrected.. image

The difference between hardcore and casual is not so much in the math and the numbers of hours, but more in the reason and how we play games

• NikecowNikecow Member UncommonPosts: 31

Math corrected.. image

The difference between hardcore and casual is not so much in the math and the numbers of hours, but more in the reason and how we play games

Yes this is exactly true. I've seen 'casual' players outplay me several times whilst still being tremendously bad. The /play doesn't say much at all...

They see me lurkin' they hatin...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Larsa

I have an excuse, I almost died 3 weeks ago, am finally home and am still recovering! Been too tired for GW2 the last couple days, but may hop on tonight. :)

I appreciate the point made by the OP. Many "hardcore" players "burned twice as bright, but burned out four times as fast". Many of them do so out of habit, with no MMO ever keeping them beyond a month or two.

Some of us play hardcore hours, but still have the ability to recognize and appreciate a game "with legs" and can make the mental shift needed to settle into a mode of play supportive of long term, ongoing game play.

I hit 80 with my Prime fairly early. I hit "the wall" for a day, wondering "ok, what do I do next". Then, I shifted my thinking, stopped worrying about "end game progression" and started playing GW2 more like Slyrim than a typical MMO. I hit the 475+ hour mark before illness struck me down and was still having as much fun as I did the first week. It didn't matter if I was playing a level 80 well past the point where I reached the level cap, or a lower level alt, I have found no lack of fun from GW2.

I think many casuals will still face the speed bump of having to adjust their expectations of how they should approach an MMO. Let's face it, most of the titles since vanilla WoW have almost "ruined" MMO players via game design that has been desructive to the genre. The casuals that can adapt to this game probably will be able to get a year or two of game play from the content at launch pretty easily. With no sub fee, that's just an incredible prospect.

I'm curious to see how the game evolves if there is a shift more towards a casual player base. I think there is still plenty here for hard core players able to make the "paradigm shift", but I can also see this being a very enjoyable playground for players with more casual play habits for years to come.

Welcome back

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Psh, I got 400 hours in one month and then quit, 300 hours in 2 is nothing. ;)

Although now I work full time so I can't play any game that long anymore.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'm casual with this game and ive lost interest twice at around level 40.Just can't make it to 80
  • UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

I never ever understand people rushing to end game.  Especially as a main topic of forums is that GW2 doesnt have any decent end-game content.

Having owned Gw2 about 6 weeks I am still having a great time in the world.  I see alot of lowbies running around in game.  My main is only level 20 because I am an explorer and  enjoy the other activites viewpoints, WVW PVP and crafting, etc  So I am not in a hurry to get to max level.

Why spend £40/$60 and fly through the game in a week?

This discussion has been closed.