Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

congraz to blizz

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179236/Activision_beats_estimates_by_going_big_focusing_on_retail_hits.php#.UJwWMoZnR8E

WOW still #1 with more than 10M subs.

D3 #1 and sold more than 10M ... and an expansion coming (anyone will know that though given its sales).

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Isn't this data from end of September? They already said they got to 10kk subs 2 weeks after MoP release. Did they keep them? who knows..
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I've been enjoying the MoP expansion. Much more enjoyable than my time in GW2 and the repeating "dynamic" events.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Isn't this data from end of September? They already said they got to 10kk subs 2 weeks after MoP release. Did they keep them? who knows..

I think the sub & d3 sales may be a bit old .. But they just released quarterly financial results and they are also making tons of money.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by QSatu

Looking at Zfire, it looks like they stabilized ahead of where it was before MoP. Plus investors are raving about the 3rd qt report.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Good for blizz!

D3 isn't an MMO though. So doesn't matter.

Originally posted by madazz

Good for blizz!

Not a MMO but there is a forum here for it so it is fair game for discussion here.

Plus, its playstyle is close enough to a MMO that personally i don't view MMOs very differently than D3 type ARPG.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

WoW never had 10 million subs. They count the China players as subs for some moronic reason.

In any case, this isn't really a good thing, just shows how far the MMO genre has fallen.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

Good for blizz!

D3 failure is a possible sign where blizz is headed . 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by madazz Good for blizz! D3 isn't an MMO though. So doesn't matter.

The bank. CHA CHING!
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Good for blizz!

10 million boxes sold != failure

We'll see what happens when the expansion goes on sale.  I'd love to see the monthly RMAH revenue for D3 since release.  It must be tanking these days.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

WoW never had 10 million subs. They count the China players as subs for some moronic reason.

In any case, this isn't really a good thing, just shows how far the MMO genre has fallen.

It helps "pad" their numbers by 250% or so, even though Asians are not subscribers, and buy into "anytime" minutes.

I'd rather have their system personally, and just pay for the time spent.  Only play 10 hours this month?  That will be $0.60, please come again!

Unless there is a huge shift in gamers, I'd doubt D4 (if they dare release it) will outsell D3.  The original classics (D1 & D2) were superior in every way.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179236/Activision_beats_estimates_by_going_big_focusing_on_retail_hits.php#.UJwWMoZnR8E

WOW still #1 with more than 10M subs.

D3 #1 and sold more than 10M ... and an expansion coming (anyone will know that though given its sales).

Nice!  I can get some sleep tonight.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Psychow

I've been enjoying the MoP expansion. Much more enjoyable than my time in GW2 and the repeating "dynamic" events.

On the off chance that you aren't just trolling, could you clarify what feels different about WoW's repetition from GW2's?

• KeanNKeanN Member UncommonPosts: 19

Must say , if you look away from the fact that there is allways a stupid panda on your screen,  MOP for me have been by far the best xp since BC

Just love all the humor in the new quests, dont realy feel like such a grind when lvling

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Plus, its playstyle is close enough to a MMO that personally i don't view MMOs very differently than D3 type ARPG.

Well, the reason of 90% of flame on both forums in a nutshell :)

Flame on!

:)

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Karteli

It helps "pad" their numbers by 250% or so, even though Asians are not subscribers, and buy into "anytime" minutes.

I'd rather have their system personally, and just pay for the time spent.  Only play 10 hours this month?  That will be $0.60, please come again!

Unless there is a huge shift in gamers, I'd doubt D4 (if they dare release it) will outsell D3.  The original classics (D1 & D2) were superior in every way.

I believe the last statsitic was... 7 million area Asian "subs" 1.5 are Euro, and the rest is US.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Good for blizz!

From everyones favorite tool.... http://beta.xfire.com/games

5: Guild Wars 2 - 14721 hours

6: Diablo 3 - 14282 hours.

One 6 month old game and not an MMO and one 2 month old supposedly an MMO. Interesting.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by maplestone

On the off chance that you aren't just trolling, could you clarify what feels different about WoW's repetition from GW2's?

In my personal experience, there is *A LOT* of variety in WHAT you can repeat, and within those, there's a lot of places/variations on the theme as well. It's just the sheer number of things you can go and to repetitive things in.

Is that fine?

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

repeating dynamic events were your own, poor imo, choice....guessing you did because it have been the most effective way to level up, dont know....but your choice non the less, not the game itself

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    I've been playing MoP, I got it about a week and a half ago. It's fun, however I hate what has happened to the talent system. It seems like a hollow shell of what it once was. On the bright side they have improved the game a lot, and specilizing your class is a lot easier. If I were to compare WoW to GW2 though I'd say I like them both for differant reasons. WoW has the trinity thing going for it which can be a lot of fun. I find GW2's open class/roll system often dosn't allow me to do what I want easily. However GW2 is a fun and exciting game with WvWvW, and you can't beat its $0.00 sub fee :P. Both games are good you just need to know what you want to play. On the other hand the game that'll probably take me away from both will be ESO.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by DavisFlight WoW never had 10 million subs. They count the China players as subs for some moronic reason.   In any case, this isn't really a good thing, just shows how far the MMO genre has fallen.

So, Asians arent subscribers because they dont pay monthly? Is that it?

Do you even know what a "subscription" is?

In this case a subscription is where a customer pays money for a service for a set amount of time.

In US and Europe that set amount of time is a month.

In parts of Asia that set amount of time is an hour.

So, whats the difference?

Lastly, Asia is more than just China and not all Asian countries pay hourly. Your argument comes off as dismissive and racist.

That is only your opinion.

The new skill run system in D3 is much more fun to me than the old skill tree in D1 & 2. You can change and try different builds much easier, and there many more combinations of what you can do.

Obviously 10M is a very high bar to beat, and D4 is not announced. If it is made 10 years from now (took 12 to make D3), who knows what the world is like in 10 years.

However, an expansion is announced. We can see whether it sells well. Personally, i think it will sell as well as WOW expansions. You obviously may disagree but we will know who is right when it is out.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Congrats to Blizz for sure.

As much as I hate the new talent trees (if you can still call them that), and think pet battles is absolutely retarded...

I actually don't mind the Pandaren and the new zones w/ Chinese flavor.

And no one has yet come close to matching the Blizzard/WoW dungeon experience.

I just freaking love running dungeons in WoW on my Ele / Resto Shaman.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Good for blizz!

From everyones favorite tool.... http://beta.xfire.com/games

5: Guild Wars 2 - 14721 hours

6: Diablo 3 - 14282 hours.

One 6 month old game and not an MMO and one 2 month old supposedly an MMO. Interesting.

Actually D3 numbers went up after 1.05, which is a very good patch. My take is that the playstyle of D3 is close enough to a MMO that it is played like one. I think it is the 3rd if you only count MMOs (#1 wow, #2 GW2, #3 D3).

It is kind of interesting when D3 has  a lot LESS content than typicall MMO, although part of the dungeon content is random.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

In US and Europe that set amount of time is a month.

In parts of Asia that set amount of time is an hour.

So, whats the difference?

Probably 10+ fewer dollars spent per month, on average, per "subscriber" in china.

There's a reason why Blizzard tries hard to make chinese subscribers equal to US/EU subscribers.  It makes things look and sound better.