Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I block people for hating on a game I like

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So I've been playing a particular game for quite a while and enjoying it alot. This game has been getting alot of mention and alot of people dissing it, saying that it's a fail game, and they feel cheated from the developers. This predominately comes from a small number of people but these people seem to feel that this game doesn't deserve it's reveiws. There have been people that used to play but now feel the need to share their "time to quit" with the world, which is their right and I have no intention on saying they shouldn't post.

The thing is, that if I like this game, and these other people don't, then why should I concern myself with their opinion? When I first came to mmorpg.com, I wanted to get insight into other mmo's. I wanted to find out what games would be good for me, and what games wouldn't suit my interest. I wanted to be a part of a "community of my peers" so to speak.

However, finding that these people with drastic differences in opinion to my own, post things that are contrary to my own perspective. This taints the gainful knowledge that I may obtain for what games would suit my preferences. It behooves me to bypass their opinion and look to others that share the same preferences as my own.

So I find that if a person decides that the games I enjoy, are not enjoyable, than why would their perspective on future games match my preference?

I do feel disappointed at this conclusion, as I've felt that many of these people offer their opinions in a valid manner. However that does not change the fact that I don't want to miss out on games I may enjoy just because someone that has a different set of likes and dislikes posted negatively on it.

Thanks for reading.

Note: This thread is about being selective on reveiws and impressions, NOT what game I like or dislike.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I make a conscious effort to see the viewpoints that don't mesh with mine. It's kind of like survival of the fittest. Whatever my viewpoint is, it has to be strong enough to survive the existence of the other viewpoints. If it's not, then that viewpoint is obviously defective. This applies to opinions on videos as much as anything else (imo).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Hmm, interesting. I come here to get ALL views and reviews on games so I can come to my own decision as to whether to buy a game or not. I'm sick of wasting cash.

To each their own I suppose.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Whatever makes you feel happy, i guess. However, i can't help but shake off this feeling that you only made this thread to adress the same people whos opinions you say you don't care about. 
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Isn't that against why you would visit forums such as these in the first place? I mean, if you want to engage in a circlejerk you can do it in the ingame chat.

Sorry, I see no point in that.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I use to "debate" (if you want to call it that) haters in the past.  Now I dont let the hate post bother me,  now i just take it for what it is and respond to the other negative posts by other people that have more thought and insight to them.  Their are two types, you just have to weed out the foolish ones and debate the others.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, if you have difficulty deciding on your own what you like and don't like, then I suppose reading contrary opinions might cause you to be confused.

In my case I enjoy reading the viewpoints of others even though I know they are totally wrong. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I definitely get your sentiments OP.

Personally I like to hear outside views from my own. However, this site can be HORRIBLE for that. This site, for almost a decade has been primarily troll, hate, and slander posts. It's an absolute toilet bowl of information sometimes.

However, I don't block people who express a different opinion. I block the people who are consistantly bringing nothing to the forums. People who's mission it is to tear down whatever the latest hot game is, usually under some contrived banner of 'truth'. People who are constantly saying how crappy a game is, but never providing any real feedback on how games could be better.

That's the biggest problem with this site atm. On one hand, it's got access to a lot of information. However, I haven't looked here for news in a long, long time. It's mostly garbage. As for opinions. I've found a VERY small group of people on this site who actually tend to have fairly smart, interesting, and well thought-out opinions. Most everyone else tends to just post how much everything sucks, and how good things used to be.

That crap helps noone. This site, for me at least, is currently just an ad infested waste dump of information. However, every now and then you can find a small gem of information, or take a quick peak to see what the latest game everyone's worked up about has become. Outside that, though, there's not much to really get out of this place, unfortunately.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Ignorance is bliss I guess.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Why not make the official forums of that particular game your go-to place?

I had to come to my own conclusion. I didn't want to make any "official" forum my home. Only positive / brown-nosy posts allowed there (duh).

mmorpg.com is my home and I have no interest in any other forums aside from occasionally browsing what's what.

The forum PvP here is at times more fun than playing the latest batch of "meh" games.

Only posters who are downright hostile to me or other posters end up in my block list. Not if they disagree with my views...how else am I supposed to stay grounded in my perspective? I need the good with the bad.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

It depends on what the meaning of is is.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Honestly, if you are just blocking everyone whom disagrees with you....why are you coming to these boards?  These forums are for discussion, exchanging of ideas and thoughts.  Seems to me that you are going against the very principle these boards are designed for.

If I were you, I'd take a good look at yourself and really think about what you want.  If discussion is not it, why put yourself in an environment that you are obviously not compatible with?

Sooner or later, you'll have blocked everyone and there will be no one to talk to any more.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    In my opinion, it would be better to block the drama queens, attention whores and people who think the world revolves around them.  However, if you disagree, feel free to block me.  :)
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Why even visit forums?

This sort of just seems a "looky me, this is why I don't talk to people who like vegetables".

Why I am even replying in this thread is beyond me, call it a compulsion.

You visit the forums for what then? Just skin past people you don't like. Why make a kanip over it?

As to why you should concern yourself, do you like being surrounded by yes men?  People of equal mentality to you?

Seems really extreme, now if they were attacking you, yep block em or whatever you gotta do to hit them back, but for a varied opinion, please? That is childish and I refuse to believe someone who writes in such a form is a child.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Isn't this how extremism breeds?  A group of like minded people shut themselves off from differing opinions and believe thier view is the only view.  Slowly the views become distorted and exaggerated with nobody around to temper or question them.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Isn't this how extremism breeds?  A group of like minded people shut themselves off from differing opinions and believe thier view is the only view.  Slowly the views become distorted and exaggerated with nobody around to temper or question them.

Yes it is. 

Originally posted by dave6660

Exactly why embargo's do not work.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I have never blocked anyone ont his site and welcoem all reasonable debate but I do stop reading certain peoples post after they say the same thing in a different way  20 times a day in any thread remotely related to a game they love/hate.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    In my case I enjoy reading the viewpoints of others even though I know they are totally wrong. ;)

Lol. I agree.

@OP:

If you don't want to discuss with people who don't share your opinions, why are you here? It should be obvious on your first visit that these forums are not "fanboys only".

"So I find that if a person decides that the games I enjoy, are not enjoyable, than why would their perspective on future games match my preference?"

This is just silly. You may love cheese, and I may hate it. It's like you're saying that because if this, we can't both love chocolate...

Btw, no one "decides" how a game is, it's just their opinions. Failing to see that simple little fact, reveals a lot, actually.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Quite deep shit,lets talk about games man.

Let's internet

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Astropuyo
    Originally posted by dave6660 Isn't this how extremism breeds?  A group of like minded people shut themselves off from differing opinions and believe thier view is the only view.  Slowly the views become distorted and exaggerated with nobody around to temper or question them.

Here we go. I knew at least one thread today would go haring off into the yonder at some point.

That type of thing happens anyway, whether embargoes exist or not. It's part of what our brains do, filtering out content we don't need (like).

Extreme points of view aren't caused by filtered information, filtered information happens because of extreme points of view.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by dave6660 Isn't this how extremism breeds?  A group of like minded people shut themselves off from differing opinions and believe thier view is the only view.  Slowly the views become distorted and exaggerated with nobody around to temper or question them.

Here we go. I knew at least one thread today would go haring off into the yonder at some point.

That type of thing happens anyway, whether embargoes exist or not. It's part of what our brains do, filtering out content we don't need (like).

Extreme points of view aren't caused by filtered information, filtered information happens because of extreme points of view.

That was the point man, I was trying to (failed) derail this ego trip of a thread for fun sake.

If a people cannot see "extreme" views  then how can they learn to cope and face them?

It's actually the head in the sand mentality here. One that will not listen to alarms because "it's extreme" it's more along the lines of ignoring hurricane whisles because they are annoying.

What can actually be defined by extreme, old folks think mt.dew and snow boarding is extreme.

As a matter of fact if you are filtering any information you've already entered a bias state. "This information is not good to me so I ignore it", that is incredibly anti-social. It isn't like there is a physical filter in your brain blocking information, you've selected these synapses to not fire off. "I don't get it" so on.

All views can be truly seen as extreme by someone somewhere, and thus humans are the problem!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    And you are telling us this because?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I don't use these forums to help me decide on whether or not to buy a game.  There are certain posters that just like to troll and so they get blocked.   There are others that really hate games that I either like or am ambivalent towards, I tend to block them as they offer nothing interesting in their posts.  I'm getting close to clearing my block list and starting over.  This past year has been REALLY bad with the rabidly anti D3, SWTOR and GW2 people.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by lizardbones

That was the point man, I was trying to (failed) derail this ego trip of a thread for fun sake.

If a people cannot see "extreme" views  then how can they learn to cope and face them?

It's actually the head in the sand mentality here. One that will not listen to alarms because "it's extreme" it's more along the lines of ignoring hurricane whisles because they are annoying.

What can actually be defined by extreme, old folks think mt.dew and snow boarding is extreme.

As a matter of fact if you are filtering any information you've already entered a bias state. "This information is not good to me so I ignore it", that is incredibly anti-social.

All views can be truly seen as extreme by someone somewhere, and thus humans are the problem!

I disigree with the above statement, extreme would be " RC cola, and Moon Pies " and why would you ride a sheet of Plywood in the winter ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    OP, then why bother using this message board? If all everyone did was praise everything, it be a pretty boring place
This discussion has been closed.