Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen really needs your help to reach $4 Million

CometerCometer Member UncommonPosts: 28

Dear MMORPG community,

I've played countless MMOs over the years.We have had great RPGs like World Of Warcraft and the recent Guild Wars 2. Some decent MMOFPS like Planetside.

Even a pretty good MMORTS that I love, set in space called Eve Online.

I had great fun playing all of them. But I always dreamed of a MMO set in space with fast paced combat like the old space sims.

Chris Roberts the creator of the classic games Wing Commander and Freelancer is looking for our support to create a new space sim that will both allow us to play in smaller player owned servers, and in a large scale persistent online universe that can hold thousands of players simultaneously.

He even has made a tech demo to show what we can expect:

Now I know there have been other posts talking about Star Citizen, but I'm writing this in a critical moment of the crowd-funding project Chris Roberts has launched.

Crowd-funding will end in 9 days. The project already has $3 million and has passed the minimum ammount to get the game going. But $4 million is what will really help this vision get delivered sooner rather than latter. And above all bring some more quality to the mod tools that they'll create for the community.

They even have a competition sponsored by Alienware, NVIDIA , Oculus and Logitech, to give really great prices to whomever gets more people to pledge.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/get-the-pledge-out/

Pledge little. Pledge a lot. But if you share my passion, please help this project come to life.

Comments

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Not sure but allmost sure that evey single space trader fan allready knows this and wants it.

FoFT online ,dream come true.

4million 20 million ,doesnt matter.

Tomorrow,next morning ,next month ,thats what matters :p

Let's internet

• psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29

I actually like the idea of kickstarter for some projects, and I've even supported kickstarted game development.

However when I had time to think the whole thing through I realized just how blatantly dishonest, disrespectful, and greedy the whole process really is.

If you want to fund game developement there are already legitimate means of financial backing in place, investors, business loans, IPO's.. the problem with those options is those sources get a peice of the pie.. a return on investment.

Kickstarter allows the real disqusting purely greedy a means to keep all the pie for themselves at the same time deceiving gullible under-educated gamers into feeling like they are part of the team, a crucial critical part of the team.

If these game devs werent the most greedy crustaceans walking on two legs, instead of selling you your name on some in-game monument, they would be selling you investor shares, or a peice of the pie.

4 million dollars... ?

And here I was thinking people that come on sharktank asking for $ 100,000 for 5% of a company worthy $500,000 were greedy.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by psiicat

I actually like the idea of kickstarter for some projects, and I've even supported kickstarted game development.

However when I had time to think the whole thing through I realized just how blatantly dishonest, disrespectful, and greedy the whole process really is.

If you want to fund game developement there are already legitimate means of financial backing in place, investors, business loans, IPO's.. the problem with those options is those sources get a peice of the pie.. a return on investment.

Kickstarter allows the real disqusting purely greedy a means to keep all the pie for themselves at the same time deceiving gullible under-educated gamers into feeling like they are part of the team, a crucial critical part of the team.

If these game devs werent the most greedy crustaceans walking on two legs, instead of selling you your name on some in-game monument, they would be selling you investor shares, or a peice of the pie.

4 million dollars... ?

And here I was thinking people that come on sharktank asking for $ 100,000 for 5% of a company worthy $500,000 were greedy.

Amen.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Take a walk, kitty.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

4 million dollars... ?

Exactly.

Man, I cannot express how awesome your post is.

These things damage investment systems, they literally return nothing to you but some swag in the promised future.

Meanwhile they never have to pay out to investors again.

These are for the uninvestable, the failure as a business model can't get funding so we rely on you small people types of models, as a investor I will say this: Any company that does not offer ROI is scamming you and you are buying into it.

Big fan of his game series but this smells like he is unemployable/fundable. With such a name whats behind the record where he can't get an infusion of venture?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm not putting money in unless I am getting a game to play immediately.

I "invested" 20 $ into the development of Minecraft in Beta - and it was/still is a great investment because I got to play Minecraft as soon as they processed my investment.

Asking for money on hopes/dreams is for suckers.

I pre-ordered / purchased TOR and GW2 - and the only thing that made it worth it was early access to beta and early launch access.

Those games were also within 6 months of release when I typed in my Credit Card number.

Still, I'm pretty sour on the entire MMO pre-order experience.

Originally posted by Astropuyo

4 million dollars... ?

Exactly.

These things damage investment systems, they literally return nothing to you but some swag in the promised future.

These are for the uninvestable, the failure as a business model can't get funding so we rely on you small people types of models, as a investor I will say this: Any company that does not offer ROI is scamming you and you are buying into it.

Big fan of his game series but this smells like he is unemployable/fundable. With such a name whats behind the record where he can't get an infusion of venture?

Its not that easy these days i think.

Do you want Electronic Arts : Star Citizen ?

Let's internet

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

4 million dollars... ?

Exactly.

Oh I agree. But if business was easy we'd all be business owners.

Sometimes a dream is a dream and "scamming" your core with no ROI is basically fraud and that much is hard to put up with. Kickstarter is only allowed because they skirt the very VERY fine laws of investment with wording like infusion and preprepre orders.

Meanwhile kickstarter gets a fat fee for kickstarting a project. It's a huge scheme.

I had very little qualms with kickstarter early on but it's getting crazy. Everyone and their mother is using it scamming out investors, and that's exactly what you do.. You invest with no ROI. If I did that or a broker did that they'd get fed time.

4 million dollars... ?

Exactly.

Oh I agree. But if business was easy we'd all be business owners.

Sometimes a dream is a dream and "scamming" your core with no ROI is basically fraud and that much is hard to put up with. Kickstarter is only allowed because they skirt the very VERY fine laws of investment with wording like infusion and preprepre orders.

Meanwhile kickstarter gets a fat fee for kickstarting a project. It's a huge scheme.

I had very little qualms with kickstarter early on but it's getting crazy. Everyone and their mother is using it scamming out investors, and that's exactly what you do.. You invest with no ROI. If I did that or a broker did that they'd get fed time.

Fair enough.

Big games have been made in the past without grazy Kickstarters or EA,but i really dont know what to say.

If i had a chance to help guys who made Elite in the past with things like  Kickstarter,dang,i would.

Let's internet

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

If i had a chance to help guys who made Elite in the past with things like  Kickstarter,dang,i would.

Well, you actually can. They are working on a new game and they have started some crowdfunding.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

4 million dollars... ?

Exactly.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by Cometer

Dear MMORPG community,

I've played countless MMOs over the years.We have had great RPGs like World Of Warcraft and the recent Guild Wars 2. Some decent MMOFPS like Planetside.

I had great fun playing all of them. But I always dreamed of a MMO set in space with fast paced combat like the old space sims.

Chris Roberts the creator of the classic games Wing Commander and Freelancer is looking for our support to create a new space sim that will both allow us to play in smaller player owned servers, and in a large scale persistent online universe that can hold thousands of players simultaneously.

He even has made a tech demo to show what we can expect:

Now I know there have been other posts talking about Star Citizen, but I'm writing this in a critical moment of the crowd-funding project Chris Roberts has launched.

Crowd-funding will end in 9 days. The project already has $3 million and has passed the minimum ammount to get the game going. But $4 million is what will really help this vision get delivered sooner rather than latter. And above all bring some more quality to the mod tools that they'll create for the community.

They even have a competition sponsored by Alienware, NVIDIA , Oculus and Logitech, to give really great prices to whomever gets more people to pledge.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/get-the-pledge-out/

Pledge little. Pledge a lot. But if you share my passion, please help this project come to life.

Well if i had a lot of money i would surely support this.But for the moment i have more critical things to consider

Originally posted by gordiflu

Well, you actually can. They are working on a new game and they have started some crowdfunding.

I know it was Elite Dangerous or something and these days are different now :p

Edit : it wasnt it is Elite Dangerous,ok i will give them my mooney.

Let's internet

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

He is neither unemployable nor unfundable. In fact, EA approached him and he turned them down! He is in touch with private investors and their term was a simple one: raise 2 million from the crowd so that we can determine the interest in your project and we will found your endeavor. You can find all the info you need at robertsspaceindustries.com  Check it out and you'll see that mr. Roberts means business.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Here is the kickstarter page for David Braben's new Elite. The goal is set for 1,250,000 £ (1,988,000 USD) in 60 days. In 4 days the backers raised 382,000 £. It looks like it's going to easily exceed the initial goal.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Dear MMORPG community,

Congratulations,first time I've ever seen someone call EVE a MMORTS.  It's not.  Now back on topic.

Glad to see the groundswell of support for this project, seems like a lot of people are pretty excited and likely it will be quite successful.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Shodanas

He is neither unemployable nor unfundable. In fact, EA approached him and he turned them down! He is in touch with private investors and their term was a simple one: raise 2 million from the crowd so that we can determine the interest in your project and we will found your endeavor. You can find all the info you need at robertsspaceindustries.com  Check it out and you'll see that mr. Roberts means business.

In otherwords raise the real value of your company to 2 million so we can get to the valuation we need to be able to make our risk negligible because we are greedy chits as well and want all the reward without any of the risks.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

4 million dollars... ?

I tried to answer this post earlier but couldn't improve on it.

just +1

Originally posted by Kyleran

Dear MMORPG community,

Congratulations,first time I've ever seen someone call EVE a MMORTS.  It's not.  Now back on topic.

Glad to see the groundswell of support for this project, seems like a lot of people are pretty excited and likely it will be quite successful.

Theres a lot of people searching games like Elite or Privateer etc ,and now that dream is coming alive and with multiplayer mode,its amazing but question is still the same,when ?

EVE + FPS combat ,i dont have words for this.

Let's internet

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I have cashed in all my food stamps and buying beer atm is the only thing I plan on doing.. SORRY Mr Citizen
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    They have over 4 million combining kickstarter and the main site crowd funding. Since that is well over what they stated, I don't see a need for more money via these sources.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Star Citizen suddenly became a huge turn-off.

/moving on.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

welfare devs.... no i'll pass but good luck with that

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Shodanas

In otherwords raise the real value of your company to 2 million so we can get to the valuation we need to be able to make our risk negligible because we are greedy chits as well and want all the reward without any of the risks.

You can't blame mr. Robert's investors for wanting to know the volume of potential customers his product is targeting at. Star Citizen won't be cheap to make you know.

Originally posted by Netspook

Star Citizen suddenly became a huge turn-off.

/moving on.

Can you elaborate on this?