Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of a fanboy, or why one fan is semi-quitting the game

1235»

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think for a MMO to really work for me personally it has to have lots and lots of forced grouping, trinity roles, and I have to get lucky with server choice / guild joining to find a good group to run with.

FFXIV might be my next new game.

FFXI was a lot of fun when I had people to party with - and I just love the FF atmosphere.

I kind of want a game with a lot of open world grouping like TERA's BAMs or the more old school farming-mobs-in-a-party play sessions.

And then of course dungeons and raids.

I'm really beginning to buy into the whole "solo everything ruins community and you need forced grouping / clear roles to create bonds" mentality - it really did work back in the day.

But I also hated the "stand around for an hour spamming a chat channel to find / complete a group" thing.

It'd be interesting to see such a thing applied in a game that also had a robust LFG system and perhaps even mega-server tech so you can always find leveling parties in your range.

I'm a little concerned with FFXIV's "Do Over"  It looks rushed.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I really appreciated the OP's thoughts here and felt they were well expressed.

I, too, am an avid GW2 player but I love playing alts, so that part of the game is really working well for me. Working my way through the different stories just makes alt-playing better. I have been playing quite a bit since the game's release and have yet to have any character hit level 35. That's not everyone's playstyle, obviously, but it suits me just fine.

The beauty of GW2, is that, unlike sub-based games, it's almost by design meant to be played through, played out, and then set aside for later by players like the OP. Sub-based games often use rather artificial and unappealing methods to keep players subscribed -- raids, gear grinds, that sort of thing. These kinds of activities are unappealing to me, though I know many players enjoy them. Even if such content makes its way into GW2, I would never play through it. It's just not my thing.

GW2 is tailor-made for "semi-quitting". I imagine I will be doing that from time to time myself when SWTOR goes F2P, when Neverwinter is released, and when TESO is released. Players who like to focus on endgame and/or focus on one or two characters will come and go from GW2, and players who enjoy playing numerous characters (as I do) will settle into GW2 for a whole lot longer. I think it's all good.

One of my frustrations with sub-based games is that most of the added content (that I help to pay for with my sub fee) is aimed at "end-gamers" (to keep them subscribing) rather than "alt-gamers". I don't like continually paying for (new) content I do not play. In GW2, I don't have to. GW2 is thus a pleasant change of pace in that regard, at least for me. I'm not sure I will ever go back to a sub-based game again, though I still might if a good enough one were to come along.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Zylax:

Did I overhype it?  Probably yes, well ok defintely yes, but at the time I had reason too because I tried to correlate a virtual semi dynamic ever changing world into my old mindset but alas I admit I was wrong.

Respect, welcome back to reality.

Edit: ignore the comment above, subsequent posts have shown nothing of the sort.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Yes a few actually.

Drakansang has 9 million players and PW is righ up there as well plus Lineage 2. 

If we're comparing population in terms of concurrent users, I find that hard to believe.. but sure, maybe you're right.  I don't know.

I actually left out MapleStory as well.

Lineage and B&S have higher populations and revenue earning than Lineage 2, although in Q3 GW2 had higher revenues than any of them.  There are several Asian games that have insane populations and revenue earning.  Asia is dwarfing the West by a margin and companies will go where the money is.  Western gamers should pay heed to that because we want games developed our way but we're very fragmented as a community demographic.  And you forgot Runescape too which is multi-national but has a fricken huge population.

We were not talking about revenues we were talking about player population. Like i and you have said, many MMOs have a higher population than GW2.

Seems to me that some western players thinks the MMO community starts and ends in north american lol.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Hmm, I really want to kick you when you're down Zylaxx, but I'll try not to although I will give you some feedback since you opened the thread.

It's posters like yourself that did not help foster a great community here from the get go.  Early beta *is* the time for criticism and questioning.  It is then that good feedback can really help improve game systems.  So not only did you do our GW community a disservice, but you also help make the bed you lie in by not helping to improve the very systems that have now let you down.

Personally I'm loving the game, but then again I'm a long time GW1 and NCSoft customer.  I knew exactly what I was getting into and didn't create a bunch of unrealistic expectations.  I know what I like and don't like about ANet/NCSoft and how they run their games.

Do us all a favor and be a positive community member and stop hype in its tracks.  I'm not asking you to stop arguing or supporting your current game of choice, but just don't do the positivist hivemind trip.  A good start would be by not posting anymore attention grabbing hello/goodbye threads for whatever game appoints/disappoints you next.  I understand games get old after a bit and feelings change, but melodramatic threads don't help any of us to move and start building a real community.

The problem is not that he has come back down to earth after the over the top  behavior it's the insulting and belittling of anyone who did not share his view of  GW2. Perhaps he would like to make a new thread apologizing to these people for insulting them and when not winning the argument getting them banned.

Personally i think losing credibility is punishment enough i guess.

People don't forget.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Funny that you say that.

I was looking for some GW2 predictions. I discovered this old post doing some google searching for "Gw2 6 months from now"

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4844867

How ironic that it's about 6mo old.

Originally posted by Deleted User

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    The fails and trolls will come up with anything.  Its ok though guys cant stop a freight train that is GW2.  6 months from now what excuses will you be "making" up when GW2 easily becomes the 2nd highest populated in the world?

Simply wait 3 months for everyone to finish the content, say "That's it?" and then watch GW2 fizzle down into the little Niche game it really is.

Is there another MMO that's more heavily populated than GW2 right now, aside from WoW?  I'm concerned about the way its heading.. but its a bit premature to say he was wrong about that, I think.

Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.

If your uncertain as to what the poulation really is and you make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because you hate the game that is ok.  If I make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because I like the game I am an evil poster and liar? 

GW2 is extremely popular and my quitting post doesnt change that and I basically still stand by most of my assertions.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    I know it sounds bad, but I hope it catches on.  These forums have been such a less civilised place over the past 6 months, mainly because of the overly aggresive GW2 guys.

NM
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by tank017
      [mod edit]   A theme park is a theme park...and theme parks are only going to last you a couple months.This is why I lol'ed when people were saying they were going to make GW2 their home for years to come. People overhyped themselves soo much for this game that some are still crash landing till this day..   If you learn to control your personal hype level,you'll be able to land on your feet.

No reason to gloat over me quitting.  I still love all the things it does right (which is many) it jsut there is a serious lack of self important things I like about the game to do now that I finished my task.

Did I overhype it?  Probably yes, well ok defintely yes, but at the time I had reason too because I tried to correlate a virtual semi dynamic ever changing world into my old mindset but alas I admit I was wrong.

I didn't mean to sound like Im gloating,I apologize for that.I just wanted to nail home the lesson that should be learned here.

Funny that you say that.

I was looking for some GW2 predictions. I discovered this old post doing some google searching for "Gw2 6 months from now"

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4844867

How ironic that it's about 6mo old.

The fails and trolls will come up with anything.  Its ok though guys cant stop a freight train that is GW2.  6 months from now what excuses will you be "making" up when GW2 easily becomes the 2nd highest populated in the world?

Simply wait 3 months for everyone to finish the content, say "That's it?" and then watch GW2 fizzle down into the little Niche game it really is.

Is there another MMO that's more heavily populated than GW2 right now, aside from WoW?  I'm concerned about the way its heading.. but its a bit premature to say he was wrong about that, I think.

Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.

If your uncertain as to what the poulation really is and you make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because you hate the game that is ok.  If I make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because I like the game I am an evil poster and liar? 

GW2 is extremely popular and my quitting post doesnt change that and I basically still stand by most of my assertions.

I am glad to see that you at least edited out the part of your post where you once again called me a hater.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by GeezerGamer Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.
      It is difficult to say, but I still think its way ahead of.. what?  TOR?  Aion?  I'm not even sure what MMO might be ahead of GW2.  I think one of GW2's biggest problems, population wise, is that whatever the server pop is, most of them are in WvW or running instances, leaving the entire open gameworld deserted.     Even the highest level zones are looking pretty bleak these days, but I don't think its because the servers are empty.  I think it's because they've totally failed with the whole game is endgame thing - and that will eventually lead to the servers being empty.
    I didn't want to turn this into another "GW2 is dying..No it's not thread". I just thought it was ironic, the OP's overall intolerance to opinions other than his own. I just hope he can see that the way he branded people from as far back as we can go. Compare that with what he personally thought GW2 was going to be as a game and how his own personal relationship to the game changed within the exact time frame he cited.

Agreed.  It's these double standards and the overall hypocrisy of some that make discussions on this board so...pointless.

Maybe the OP and others can learn from this so we don't have to keep going through this insanity every time a new game releases.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by tank017
    Goooooood ,Gooooooooood   Now its Aerowyn's turn  muahahahahahahaha image   Seriously though,   A theme park is a theme park...and theme parks are only going to last you a couple months.This is why I lol'ed when people were saying they were going to make GW2 their home for years to come. People overhyped themselves soo much for this game that some are still crash landing till this day..   If you learn to control your personal hype level,you'll be able to land on your feet.

Yet the king of all ThemeParks, WoW, still has millions of players.

WoW is an anomaly, as far as theme parks go, it won't happen again.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer Funny that you say that. I was looking for some GW2 predictions. I discovered this old post doing some google searching for "Gw2 6 months from now" http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4844867 How ironic that it's about 6mo old.  

Originally posted by Zylaxx The fails and trolls will come up with anything.  Its ok though guys cant stop a freight train that is GW2.  6 months from now what excuses will you be "making" up when GW2 easily becomes the 2nd highest populated in the world?

If your uncertain as to what the poulation really is and you make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because you hate the game that is ok.  If I make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because I like the game I am an evil poster and liar?  GW2 is extremely popular and my quitting post doesnt change that and I basically still stand by most of my assertions.
    ALSO:

How you perceive me, is not how I perceive you. I've never called you an evil poster and a liar. You said that. I just don't think you have any respect for differing opinions. I don't disagree that GW2 is extremely popular. Although, I think our definitions of "extremely" might differ. I'll still say it's popular. And why is it that all the sudden you can get bored, but you aren't an example of how many are feeling? Oh, it's ok for you to stop playing because you have special circumstances but the general population can't possibly share your own experience and say "Yeah it was fun while it lasted"?

One of my favorite MMOs is Anarchy Online. I can say it's not very popular. Do I hate it? No, I am making a judgement based on my observations. Why do you to refuse to acknowlege this difference and continue to try to push people's criticism as hate?

Let me ask you straigh up....Do you consider yourself a hater when you are critical? If not, why aren't others given that benefit of the doubt?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    I know it sounds bad, but I hope it catches on.  These forums have been such a less civilised place over the past 6 months, mainly because of the overly aggresive GW2 guys.

But it's not GW2 guys.  Guild Wars has a really cool community.  It's over zealous gamer junkies hoping from one new mmo to the next looking for a fix.  They jump on the pre-release hype wagon, help foster unrealistic expectations, bruise that game's community, and then turn around and backstab them.  Then move on to the next.

The previous was TOR, then TSW and GW2.  Watch next for TESO, EQN, Wildstar, and whatever else is coming down the pipe.  Watch especially for the next wave of "sandbox" buzzwords because it's already happening.

TESO hater pre-buildup is already well underway.  EQN, of course, is simply too easy of a target; good ol' Smed.

Hanging out over here, meh, the next targets are already choosing new opponents.

As interest gradually wanes here, naturally, teams for the next round will be chosen, and new people will attempt to elect themselves Captains of the red and blue teams.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    main reason I came to guild wars 2 was for WvWvW, it erases all the issues for me because the issues don't concern me, join a hardcore guild if your sick of your guild not being on often or active. I will however agree that GW2 isn't the best MMORPG.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by GeezerGamer Funny that you say that. I was looking for some GW2 predictions. I discovered this old post doing some google searching for "Gw2 6 months from now" http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4844867 How ironic that it's about 6mo old.  

Originally posted by Zylaxx The fails and trolls will come up with anything.  Its ok though guys cant stop a freight train that is GW2.  6 months from now what excuses will you be "making" up when GW2 easily becomes the 2nd highest populated in the world?

If your uncertain as to what the poulation really is and you make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because you hate the game that is ok.  If I make assumptions based on anecdotal evidence because I like the game I am an evil poster and liar?  GW2 is extremely popular and my quitting post doesnt change that and I basically still stand by most of my assertions.
    ALSO:

How you perceive me, is not how I perceive you. I've never called you an evil poster and a liar. You said that. I just don't think you have any respect for differing opinions. I don't disagree that GW2 is extremely popular. Although, I think our definitions of "extremely" might differ. I'll still say it's popular. And why is it that all the sudden you can get bored, but you aren't an example of how many are feeling? Oh, it's ok for you to stop playing because you have special circumstances but the general population can't possibly share your own experience and say "Yeah it was fun while it lasted"?

One of my favorite MMOs is Anarchy Online. I can say it's not very popular. Do I hate it? No, I am making a judgement based on my observations. Why do you to refuse to acknowlege this difference and continue to try to push people's criticism as hate?

Let me ask you straigh up....Do you consider yourself a hater when you are critical? If not, why aren't others given that benefit of the doubt?

There are a lot of very close-minded people on these boards calling everyone else a hater.  If the OP refuses to  recognize this in himself already, maybe it's time to for him to do a little self reflection?  Maybe take a little time out before jumping down everyone's throat?

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

As for anyone who is in the same boat as me, could you recommend a game to pass the time away that has exceptional leveling up opportunities?

Welcome aboard.

My advice is to go watch TV, movies or find a hobby to pick up for awhile. I've been doing that and also recently bought a PS3 to play some platform games. Red Dead Redemption is full of win as well.

Other than that, there's really not much you can do, MMO and PC burnout hit me hard like you. Just get away for awhile. Until developers can grow a pair of creatives we're not gonna see much change.

Same crap, different shiny package. Bleh. No mas!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• SisterSpiteSisterSpite Member UncommonPosts: 30

All my favourite games have (had) one thing in common - I have never (ok, almost never) reached level cap.

Reaching level cap means game over for so many people (all is left is crying about pvp not balanced, no endgame, boring, repetitive etc)

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Chaserz

Since we are all in our eulogy support group I'll add my two cents:  I knew the game was over for me in 20 levels.  MMOs are supposed to be about a journey of both world exploration and character  growth.  I knew after 10 levels GW2 was just wandering around pointlessly doing the same things repeatedly.

From the outside looking in it has great graphics, a decent story and some unique features but for me it is missing the things that make an MMO appealing to me the NEXT day!

It's off my computer and I am looking for the future.  Maybe the genre is just dying.  Or maybe it's just dying for me.     

This!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Zekiah

As for anyone who is in the same boat as me, could you recommend a game to pass the time away that has exceptional leveling up opportunities?

Welcome aboard.

My advice is to go watch TV, movies or find a hobby to pick up for awhile. I've been doing that and also recently bought a PS3 to play some platform games. Red Dead Redemption is full of win as well.

Other than that, there's really not much you can do, MMO and PC burnout hit me hard like you. Just get away for awhile. Until developers can grow a pair of creatives we're not gonna see much change.

Same crap, different shiny package. Bleh. No mas!

Funny thing is that I'm hit by a PC gaming burnout but GW2 is one of the few games I've no trouble picking up and playing (the recent games I've played for long periods were Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, XCOM:EU and FTL).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by aionix
    I think it may be the time for the sandbox to rise.  Personally I stillenjoy GW2, but thats because I'm a casual player nowadays.  What I see happening in MMO's is a shift in market focus.  GW2 may be the last successful themepark MMO, as the industry starts shifting to more sandbox player driven games (the scrapping of EQNext anyone?!).  Just like the fall of console gaming and high graphic linear AAA video games, I believe the themepark MMO is on the way out.

I read that the developers of EQNext are saying it will be a sandbox rather than a themepark, so.....if that's true.....I can't imagine them scrapping it.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by aionix
    I think it may be the time for the sandbox to rise.  Personally I stillenjoy GW2, but thats because I'm a casual player nowadays.  What I see happening in MMO's is a shift in market focus.  GW2 may be the last successful themepark MMO, as the industry starts shifting to more sandbox player driven games (the scrapping of EQNext anyone?!).  Just like the fall of console gaming and high graphic linear AAA video games, I believe the themepark MMO is on the way out.

I read that the developers of EQNext are saying it will be a sandbox rather than a themepark, so.....if that's true.....I can't imagine them scrapping it.

If the devs keep their word about EQN, which I am admittedly skeptical about considering it is Smedley we are talking about here, but IF they keep their word, and it is not hype, then this could be the game for me. I resist getting excited about anything game related anymore. 

They just keep letting me down when I get myself pumped up for them. GW2 was nice for me, because I had low expectations going in, and as such had fun while it lasted. I am looking for something better though, and havebeen enjoying the PS2 beta quite a bit. In fact, the pvp in PS2 feels deeper, more immersive, more challenging and meaningful than any pvp I have done in GW2.

I do not feel ripped off by GW2, but I also do not really feel like I played an MMORPG. 

• RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29

There are those that can see the train coming miles away, and then there are those that insist there is no train right up until they are a bloody heap under one.

I have no sympathy at all for fan boys under trains. Its the likes of them that unfortunately, will cheer on a failing creation so that nothing is done to fix the issues that need to be fixed until it is too late, and a potentially good, or even great games player base is almost wiped out.

Unfortunately, its the players labeled as 'flamers' that point out problem areas in games that get shot down at every opportunity by these idiots that think they are some sort of MMO guardians, the protectors of truth justice and programming blunders. In reality, its the 'flamers' that are the most helpful to realizing, understanding, pointing out and eventually fixing issues vital for the longevity of gameplay.

But sadly, after a game has lost its momentum and most of its player base, the rock throwing, pitchfork toting protector crowd sits down and wonders why there isnt anyone left to play the game with other then the blowing tumbleweeds.