Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont understand why some people feel cheated

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What's not to understand? Most gamers to not spend their time on forums discussing games adnausium. They think "Oh look, GW2...I've heard a lot about this game." And a really astute consumer will even go to google and search GW2 review

https://www.google.com/search?q=gw2%20review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

None of these reviews mirror what many people are now saying only a few months later. They say nothing of what a lot of players experienced 2 weeks, a month 2 months later.

To me, this whole topic is a rhetorical question aimed at blaming the player who feels cheated to make them think it's their own fault for not liking the game and/or failing to do their research (which would have not revealed anything different anyway.)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What's not to understand? Most gamers to not spend their time on forums discussing games adnausium. They think "Oh look, GW2...I've heard a lot about this game." And a really astute consumer will even go to google and search GW2 review

https://www.google.com/search?q=gw2%20review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

None of these reviews mirror what many people are now saying only a few months later. They say nothing of what a lot of players experienced 2 weeks, a month 2 months later.

To me, this whole topic is a rhetorical question aimed at blaming the player who feels cheated to make them think it's their own fault for not liking the game and/or failing to do their research (which would have not revealed anything different anyway.)

2 weeks? Maybe the people who rushed to 80 in 2 weeks had a complaints because they missed the forest when looking at a tree (think myopic vision here).

It is not rhetorical GG, each game plays a little different and you have to adapt to enjoy it. I mean you don't play an MMO the way you play an FPS game, do you? I think people want an expected type of game play, if they don't get it they complain rather than adapt. It is the nature of the beast.

Originally posted by botrytis

2 weeks? Maybe the people who rushed to 80 in 2 weeks had a complaints because they missed the forest when looking at a tree (think myopic vision here).

It is not rhetorical GG, each game plays a little different and you have to adapt to enjoy it. I mean you don't play an MMO the way you play an FPS game, do you? I think people want an expected type of game play, if they don't get it they complain rather than adapt. It is the nature of the beast.

I agree, 2 weeks is too soon, I'm simply repeating what I've seen posted here. I stopped playing it hard when my IRL buddies stopped after about a month. But I still think the OP's question was not asked with the intention of truly trying to understand where this notion of feeling cheated is comming from but rather to identify where such peopel are "playing it wrong" so to speak.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

What's not to understand? Most gamers to not spend their time on forums discussing games adnausium. They think "Oh look, GW2...I've heard a lot about this game." And a really astute consumer will even go to google and search GW2 reviewhttps://www.google.com/search?q=gw2%20review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=npNone of these reviews mirror what many people are now saying only a few months later. They say nothing of what a lot of players experienced 2 weeks, a month 2 months later.To me, this whole topic is a rhetorical question aimed at blaming the player who feels cheated to make them think it's their own fault for not liking the game and/or failing to do their research (which would have not revealed anything different anyway.)

In the general population of gamers? Yeah, you're right. Here? No, nobody here gets a pass.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

In the general population of gamers? Yeah, you're right. Here? No, nobody here gets a pass.

I got a laugh out of that. But I also cannot argue. 

so,

Touche

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I'm not sure why people always compare MMOs to single player games and console games for value.....MMOs are a different beast imo.....We cant play alot of single player and console games for free like we can with MMOs.....ALso todays standard for a MMO is either free download with p2p (15$ a month) or f2p with cash shop where you pay what you want/like......There arent very many MMOs anymore that demand 60 bucks right off the bat to play.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I didn't get remotely close to that time and basically got less time out of this (much of it felt more forced then 'enjoyment') then I did most single player games. Doesn't help seeing Torchlight 2 I spent $20 on and have a lot more fun and more playtime on then Gw2. 

So yeah... I felt cheated out of my money a bit but they gave a refund and I'm fine with it. Honestly it might not of been that amazing to me but I'd of been willing to let them keep $20 of my refund and been content for the time I had. Sure it wasn't the best experience ever but it at least ate up some time and was mildly enjoyable at times. Just didn't feel worth the $60 at all.

You feel cheated for getting your money back? You'd have been okay with the experience costing you $20, but instead it cost you nothing and because of that you feel cheated? So you got $20 worth for free, tell me who else will do that for you.

imageimage
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Yamota

Because a lot of us are waiting for the MMO to re-capture the feeling of the classic one's. However, it may be time to realise that this will not happen. Atleast not with ThemePark MMOs.

As for 300 hours, I only got 160 hours out of it before I got bored. Still ok but not what I expected.

You should've done your research.........

First off my expectations was mainly about large scale PvP in WvW and I did not expect it to be unrealistically sandbox SWG....

I played alot of GW2 havent got bored........that is because I don't burn myself out and play 24/7.............

I never expected classic MMORPGS from early 2000s, I expected what they advertised, WvW and they met my expectation.........

I feel sorry for people setting up unrealistic expectations.........you wasted your money on buying MMOs without researching.

If it offends you, I didn't mean it, I'll even admit I got tricked by EAware into buying SWTOR.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Because a lot of us are waiting for the MMO to re-capture the feeling of the classic one's. However, it may be time to realise that this will not happen. Atleast not with ThemePark MMOs.

As for 300 hours, I only got 160 hours out of it before I got bored. Still ok but not what I expected.

First off my expectations was mainly about large scale PvP in WvW and I did not expect it to be unrealistically sandbox SWG....

I played alot of GW2 havent got bored........that is because I don't burn myself out and play 24/7.............

I never expected classic MMORPGS from early 2000s, I expected what they advertised, WvW and they met my expectation.........

I feel sorry for people setting up unrealistic expectations.........you wasted your money on buying MMOs without researching.

If it offends you, I didn't mean it, I'll even admit I got tricked by EAware into buying SWTOR.

To this I say, you should have done your research.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

im with you m8, people must feel cheated if they buy stuff that doesn't work or p2p games that promise constant huge patchs but week after week they bring nothing new to the game, only copy past old same way bored crap features,

55 euros for a game with this artwork and so many stuff, i find cheap, at least im going to complete 5 story lines with 5 diferent races.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by grimal

To this I say, you should have done your research.

Yesh..should've :'(.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I got 475 hours, before a nasty, as yet unidentified virus almost killed me on October 20th. Finally home and still regaining my strength. Been too tired to worry about playing so far, but may hop on tonight.

I'm looking forward to hitting at least 1,000 hours played, which will be absolutely insane value. I've already gotten more hours from the game than than the last 6 MMOs I've purchased combined, a lot more, so, yes, high value.

I really hope that people who have hit "the wall" on this game will take advantage of the B2P model and try again in the future. When I hit level 80, I stopped playing GW2 like an MMO and started playing it like an MMO/Skyrim Hybrid. Level scaling works, the game is fun and expansive. Once I stopped caring about maintaining the "most efficient" play habits and just focused on playing content I enjoyed for the joy of playing, the artificial barriers to my enjoyment disappeared. I still haven't seen 100% of the PvE world and there are many areas I still enjoy visiting even though I've been through them a dozen or more times. The ability to roam an expansive world in a free form manner definitely exists in this game!

I still maintain that this game offers more than any mmo since vanilla WoW, with that world space and content being amplified by level scaling, which expands viable content as you level, rather than your level dictating a narrow range of content apropriate for play. I think many people who can't appreciate what the game offers have just been "ruined" by the crap MMOs we've seen in the MMO genre over the last five years and might benefit from more GW2 play time, unlearning all the bad MMO habits that have been ingrained in them and learing to look at playing MMOs in a somewhat different way, (a way more akin to the way us MMO vets used to play MMOs "back in the day").

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

I feel cheated but not just this game but all recently released mmo's! If we sent todays gaming technology and sent it back to 20 years ago, i am positive the quality of releases would be vastly improved than what we are seeing right now. They may not have had the technology but they had the imaginations!

I think back then the creators were more passionate and it was less about the money. I want to thank the creators from then but now i mainly have contempt for games released.  GW2 i dont have contempt. it is decent game but at the same token i am not going to be talking about this game in a couple of years time.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         I'm not sure why people always compare MMOs to single player games and console games for value.....MMOs are a different beast imo.....We cant play alot of single player and console games for free like we can with MMOs.....ALso todays standard for a MMO is either free download with p2p (15$ a month) or f2p with cash shop where you pay what you want/like......There arent very many MMOs anymore that demand 60 bucks right off the bat to play.

Because you pay for it with the same cash?

Hours of entertainment / total cost seems like a rational way to determine value to me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Meridion
    Originally posted by bcbully

60 bucks gives yeh 300 hours. How can you beat that.

There is no way someone could make the argument that 300 hours of entertainment isn't worth $60. From that stand point you can't be wrong. I guess people let the hype leading into cause them to lose sight of the golden rule. "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

With LotRO Lifetime Account... =P

Got me 292 days (=3504 hours) of gameplay for 150 bucks, all expansions for free via cash shop points and still running...

M

Well when you look at it like that... Your argument becomes compeling ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Best 35 pounds I've spent on an mmo in a long time . Playing it alongside Rift . Two great mmos .
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Indeed, many have been 'cheated' by dozens of titles...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Indeed, many have been 'cheated' by dozens of titles...

In the immortal words of Georeg W, "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    The only games I ever felt cheated for buying was MO and Xyson. 
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Expectation, if you go into an MMO advertised and promoted as being all you love from GW1 but in a fully fledged MMO and you played other MMO's for years you could be expecting for this game to be the same and last for years, because you know its a fully fledged MMO, i can understand feeling cheated.

This is pretty accurate.  I guess the biggest obstacle for many to overcome is that this is a very casual MMO.  So casual and lightweight that it blurs the line between coop multiplay and MMO.  

Price has never been an issue with this game.  I think people would have gladly payed more than $60 for something with a bit more meat at its core.  

It's a good fun video game but it is like night and day difference from classic MMOs (such as EQ, UO, SWG).

This is like an MMO appetizer....a poo-poo platter.  Has a little of this, little of that, some of this.  Tastes really good but it's not that filling.  More of a sampling of some aspects of the genre.

It's not a "poo poo platter," ya goof, it's a "pu pu platter."  But your point makes perfect sense other than being misspelled.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Expectation, if you go into an MMO advertised and promoted as being all you love from GW1 but in a fully fledged MMO and you played other MMO's for years you could be expecting for this game to be the same and last for years, because you know its a fully fledged MMO, i can understand feeling cheated.

This is pretty accurate.  I guess the biggest obstacle for many to overcome is that this is a very casual MMO.  So casual and lightweight that it blurs the line between coop multiplay and MMO.  

Price has never been an issue with this game.  I think people would have gladly payed more than $60 for something with a bit more meat at its core.  

It's a good fun video game but it is like night and day difference from classic MMOs (such as EQ, UO, SWG).

This is like an MMO appetizer....a poo-poo platter.  Has a little of this, little of that, some of this.  Tastes really good but it's not that filling.  More of a sampling of some aspects of the genre.

It's not a "poo poo platter," ya goof, it's a "pu pu platter."  But your point makes perfect sense other than being misspelled.

Ah...thanks for that.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by kishe
    Considering I paid the price of an normal singleplayer game and got to 300 hours played before said "Done!" I feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth of entertainment.

Because I paid 60 bucks for a game not worth playing.  I played about 6 hours before I couldn't force myself into another boring zergfest.  I've had more fun playing Minesweeper.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I don't feel cheated. Just stupid for wasting 60 bucks.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Price isn't everything. It is more about the quality and longevity of a game that people care about. Perhaps too many theme park rides is spoiling the genre in a bad way. Back in the day you played 1 mmo and you played it for years, today you play 3 mmos in a year  and chances are neither of them hold your interest past 3 months. Quality > quantity. That is just my opinion.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    People expected the holy grail but instead got just another themepark  with a twist or two.

But didn't people say GW2 didnt have any hype? Remember when Darkpony was on the forum here?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design