Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

A look at F2P prices

2

Comments

  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Centreville, VAPosts: 1,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Flaming_MMO
    If you want to play conveniently - sub. You can play 1-50 without paying a penny. You can try PvP and Space missions and FPs. You want more stuff? Sorry, but nothing in this world is free nor should be.

     

     For me, I have never played the game at all, never spent a dime on it, I am going to give the FTP version a try and probably wont spend anything on it though I will give myself a $10 limit to spend if I do enjoy the game.   The only reason I am going to try it is because of the fact that it is going FTP. 

    Havent your heard, some of the best things in life are free? (Please note, that does not mean I am saying SWTOR falls into that category)

    Depends how you define free.

    image
    Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 CajamarcaPosts: 282Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Flaming_MMO
    If you want to play conveniently - sub. You can play 1-50 without paying a penny. You can try PvP and Space missions and FPs. You want more stuff? Sorry, but nothing in this world is free nor should be.

     

     For me, I have never played the game at all, never spent a dime on it, I am going to give the FTP version a try and probably wont spend anything on it though I will give myself a $10 limit to spend if I do enjoy the game.   The only reason I am going to try it is because of the fact that it is going FTP. 

    Havent your heard, some of the best things in life are free? (Please note, that does not mean I am saying SWTOR falls into that category)

    Depends how you define free.

    I agree with SevenStart61 on everything said. Why complaing about the prices when you can pay 15$ and have access to most of it. Don't complain to complain. People always just want to find something wrong with SWTOR. I love the game, I'm a subber, and I'm sure I'll pick up a few items using my Cartel coins. I don't like EA as a whole, but I do like this game and I will support it.

     

    Also, I sold a weapon on Diablo 3 for $90 and a handful of other things their between $20-$40. I don't get it because I would never spend money like that on D3, but there are some who will. These prices are fine, don't ike it, pay the $15 and stop complaining.

    -Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

  • bigronbigron Brooklyn, NYPosts: 42Member

    LOL, TOR had no endgame and they're gimping PVP.

    LOL, who's going to P2W PVE storymode? It's already easy. BW is grossly incompetent.

    And to the guy who says you shouldn't expect something for nothing, considering I got nothing for something when I bought TOR, I'd say maybe they owe us something on karma.

    They didn't even update their game. Same as Warhammer Online (many of the same devs, who should be blacklisted).  They expected you to sub when IRL, the game was in Beta. Not only were they too slow in making new content, they didn't even fix bugs.

    I remember logging in one day after falling through a map for about the 30th time because devs didn't understand geometry and the customer support message was a nonsensical string of gibberish, presumably their tech unconscious on the keyboard.

    The truth is, no one wants to pay for TOR. The game should buy a B2P, not F2P. They made a MMORPG that's basically a single-player game you play with other people. With fairly enjoyable instanced PVP.

    F2P hinges on either selling xp/other bonuses so the game is less grind-y, which is ridiculous with TOR because it negates its selling point, which is that levelling was fun. Or it has to do with bonuses/characters in PVP. Or you sell cosmetic items and gear. Nearly worst, but still tolerable, is character alterations/slots/etc or still worse, gimped game features, which range from generally innocuous (fewer character slots) to insane (fewer bag slots, forcing you to eventually buy more).

    Purchasing character slots alienates previous subscribers and, again, plays to TOR's weakness. It forces people to play fewer toons. Considering it has no endgame, and it sells itself on the story, limiting that is asinine.

  • odinsrathodinsrath louisville, KYPosts: 814Member Uncommon

    sooo...if your subbing monthly are you still gonna have to pay for some of this stuff?

    if so...image

  • bigronbigron Brooklyn, NYPosts: 42Member
    Originally posted by odinsrath

    sooo...if your subbing monthly are you still gonna have to pay for some of this stuff?

    if so...image

    I would assume so. That's vaguely how the Korean F2P games work and some of the SOE games (you get X points for subscribing).

    You'll generally never get what you used to get for subscribing even if you "subscribe". I, personally, hate F2P. It's like layaway or leasing.

  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by odinsrath

    sooo...if your subbing monthly are you still gonna have to pay for some of this stuff?

    if so...image

    All the "cool" items from the ganbling packs.  The packs for upper level stuff cost $4 a pop, even to subscribers.  You always get some cruddy gear, companion gifts, and other common items, but there is a rare chance for raid quality purples, unique pets, unique mounts, and unique style emote'able items.  Only one of the testers I saw got the ultra rare items, so I'm guessing the chance is pretty damn slim. (one person did get a pretty damn good relic with a powerful passive effect).

     

    You can also buy Xp boosts to get max level in a jiffy, along with other direct purchased emote animations (like the carbonite chamber), or a summonable chair that actually works, and can be sat upon. [I guess chatbubbles will be for sale next]

     

    There is a crap load of gear for sale also, about $1-$2 an item.  There is another thread for this.

    Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

  • ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common

    Their model seems pretty idiotic.  The biggest selling feature of TOR is the class storylines.. which they're not charging for.  Instead of making their money there, they've chosen to charge ridiculous prices for some of the less needed features. 

     

    Honestly, i think it's good for the freeloaders but bad for BioWare. 

     

    LoTRO remains the best example of a well-done freemium model.  If TOR had followed that model and charged people for quests / zones / dungeons as a one-time payment to open them, they would do much better financially imo.

     

    Oh well, now I can go back absolutely free and finish some of those questlines when i'm bored with EQ2 or just feel like swinging a lightsaber at things. 

    "I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

    - Raph Koster

    Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

  • DeeweDeewe Long Beach, CAPosts: 1,965Member
    Originally posted by arieste

    Their model seems pretty idiotic.  The biggest selling feature of TOR is the class storylines.. which they're not charging for.  Instead of making their money there, they've chosen to charge ridiculous prices for some of the less needed features. 

     

    Honestly, i think it's good for the freeloaders but bad for BioWare. 

     

    LoTRO remains the best example of a well-done freemium model.  If TOR had followed that model and charged people for quests / zones / dungeons as a one-time payment to open them, they would do much better financially imo.

     

    Oh well, now I can go back absolutely free and finish some of those questlines when i'm bored with EQ2 or just feel like swinging a lightsaber at things. 

    Exactly, seems their mindset was lure people in game with the free content and then when they are hooked make them pay for the tools needed to enjoy it.

     

    It's like being offered a free meal but you have to pay for everything but the plate: forks, chair, table, glass even the light.

    Unless you're famished and can't walk you might pretty much lean to the other side of the street in wich only the extras like beer and private lounge are taxed.

  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common

    in this wall of CC items i wonder...

    does this game will let the f2p players to gain CC in-game (specific quests that grands CC)

    im asking this cuz LOTRO i think has turbine points that can earned with in-game quests.

  • deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    Do people really expect to be able to get what subscribers get for less money when playing f2p? I mean really? F2P is there to let you play the base game if you want the full game then subscribe, if you dont want the full game play f2p and buy a pass to the content you do want
  • deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by defector1968

    in this wall of CC items i wonder...

    does this game will let the f2p players to gain CC in-game (specific quests that grands CC)

    im asking this cuz LOTRO i think has turbine points that can earned with in-game quests.

    No but most thinga that can be purchased with CC's can be traded, so you can buy, say a weekly flashpoint pass, for ingame credits

  • KebeckKebeck Rouyn-Noranda, QCPosts: 323Member

    I see some weekly unlocks on warzones and flashpoints.. I'd like to remove the warzone limits completly.. any word if they intend to sell complete unlock ?

     

    And I personnally consider the prices to be ok.. They still want you to subscribe after all..

  • deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by Kebeck

    I see some weekly unlocks on warzones and flashpoints.. I'd like to remove the warzone limits completly.. any word if they intend to sell complete unlock ?

     

    And I personnally consider the prices to be ok.. They still want you to subscribe after all..

    Doubt they will allow an unlimited unlock, the last thing they want/need is for you to pay once and be done.

     

    Like you say they want you to sub up, if they offered a one off payment to unlock flashpoints/warzones that would leave very little thats worth paying a sub for

  • QuicksandQuicksand Aurora, COPosts: 604Member Uncommon

    There are so many complaints that all center around the idea that this F2P option for this subscription game is somehow bad. That  was so confusing to me.

     

    1. They have not taken anything away from the subscription players like myself, so basically the only thing this option does to me is add players to the world and give me some items in the cartel market that I can purchase (like armor sets) if I decide I want to. (Nothing bad here)

     

    2. Given players that can't pay the sub fee during a particular month (behind on bills, spent to much money on other stuff whatever) the ability to still log in their charactor and continue to prgress through their storyline quest as well as continue to level their charactor to 50 while taking a break on the wallet. (certainly nothng bad here)

     

    3. Allowing players like myself, the ability to have their wife log back in and play along side them since their wife (like mine) didnt want to continue paying the sub when she only played every once in awhile. (great option here, after all, a man needs his healer. Even if its just on the weekends)

     

    4. Given people that have been hesitant to even try the game due to bad press or just not sure if the money would be well spent the ability to play the game all the way to the max level without ever spending a single penny. (nothing bad here)

     

    Now, note I said at the beginning "was" so confusing to me, after recent events in the US I realize that we live in a world where everyone thinks they are entiled to have everything given to them for free. So, now I get it.

    www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

  • kilunkilun Apopka, FLPosts: 709Member Common
    Originally posted by Kebeck

    I see some weekly unlocks on warzones and flashpoints.. I'd like to remove the warzone limits completly.. any word if they intend to sell complete unlock ?

     

    And I personnally consider the prices to be ok.. They still want you to subscribe after all..

    I think the weekly unlocks are fine actually, because some people work a lot during the month and get a week or two off.  So it gives them ability to save a little while it actually lets people who are multiple MMO players to give a week or two to multiple games.

    www.ozumgames.com

  • rawfoxrawfox HamburgPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deakon
    Do people really expect to be able to get what subscribers get for less money when playing f2p? I mean really? F2P is there to let you play the base game if you want the full game then subscribe, if you dont want the full game play f2p and buy a pass to the content you do want

    I am sorry but id doesnt seem you understand buisness models.

    F2P != F2P

     

    F2P is done to make microtransactions possible.

    And now, lets face it:

    All F2P models are shit and the SWTOR one is even under the possibilities of Free to Play.

    Lotro is the only F2P model that offers you the content to actually "buy" it.

    You buy something and you have it forever.

    I dont "buy" a weekly pass, i dont even drive bus, i want my own car and i want buy my own access or content.

     

    In my book, the SWTOR F2P model is trash.

    The Lotro model is the only one i thing, what can be considered "cute", everything else is greedy bullshit by greedy companies.

     

     

  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Winchester, MAPosts: 937Member

    Well if you are buying what EA is selling...

    Acccording to their exit survey, 40% of the people cancelling their sub did so because they didn't want to subscribe.

    Assuming that is true, that would mean of the 2 million people who left, 800,000 people left due to the sub. (Even though they knew the game had a sub when they bought the $60+ box)

     

    So what has EA now done to correct the problem that many people would like to play the game but do not want to sub is to create a system where a player is  encouraged by restrictions to either pay an inflated weekly subscription or break down and pay a monthly subscription.

    Makes sense.

     

    On the other hand, perhaps EA just wants to stop reporting to its shareholders how many subs SWTOR has.

    Or perhaps EA was looking for a justifiable means to add a cash shop to its game. A cash shop where they expect to make profits not form FTP players, but from their loyal subscribers.

  • RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

    Well if you are buying what EA is selling...

    Acccording to their exit survey, 40% of the people cancelling their sub did so because they didn't want to subscribe.

    Assuming that is true, that would mean of the 2 million people who left, 800,000 people left due to the sub. (Even though they knew the game had a sub when they bought the $60+ box)

     

    So what has EA now done to correct the problem that many people would like to play the game but do not want to sub is to create a system where a player is  encouraged by restrictions to either pay an inflated weekly subscription or break down and pay a monthly subscription.

    Makes sense.

     

    On the other hand, perhaps EA just wants to stop reporting to its shareholders how many subs SWTOR has.

    Or perhaps EA was looking for a justifiable means to add a cash shop to its game. A cash shop where they expect to make profits not form FTP players, but from their loyal subscribers.

    That's what I don't understand, if they believe it was the 15$ sub that stopped people from playing, why put in place a system that means you have to sub to play, surely a cash shop with lots of shiny things and potions make more sense if you are blaming the sub fee, rather than a freemium on steroids.

  • Demmi77Demmi77 philly, PAPosts: 225Member

    people cancelled because the game isn't just a themepark, it's a incomplete substance lacking thempark.

     

    The f2p model is a gimmick YOU CANNOT PLAY THIS GAME F2P. You are stripped of the little freedom you get in this game and it requires money to do anything in it. You can technically play the story but i guarantee no one will make it past level 25 without cash shop items. It's a business so they can't make money if it's free but shit this is a pretty disgusting f2p model.

     

    ALl i ever wanted of this game , was a star wars univers. Good space stuff, meaningful crafting, busy cantinas, role play. When bioware gets their heads out their asses maybe they'll just fix the game and get a few million subs back. They will not get the increase they are expecting off this f2p. It will be the hardcore subscribes and a few people here that will dabble in it. 

     

    new playres will try it for free, purchase some action bars, inventory, xp. hit max level and then probably leave just like the 80% of the players that left. Unfortunately, this game model means they'll probably get a bit more money instead of 15 dollars. People will probably drop around 30 dollars a month or sub + buy some flare. Either way EA/Bioware realize the games failures and they are going to try to make more off what they have, and make something off what they don't have.

     

    Feel bad for people that buy into this p.o.s

  • negativf4kknegativf4kk WorthingPosts: 377Member Uncommon

    To be or not to SUB......

    Thats is the question!!!!!

    <a href="http://www.danasoft.com"><img src="http://www.danasoft.com/sig/499105419258.jpg"; border="0"></a><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;"><p>Sign by Danasoft - <a href="http://www.danasoft.com">For Backgrounds and Layouts</a></p></div>

  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards TokyoPosts: 778Member
    Originally posted by negativf4kk

    To be or not to SUB......

    Thats is the question!!!!!

    I went ahead and did it. I am burned out on EQ2 so thought what the hell...atleast i got my 1200 cartel coins and HK 51 quests are fun.

    Bought two careel packs, got two rare pets, one rare vehicle and some xp potions. So not bad ;)

  • negativf4kknegativf4kk WorthingPosts: 377Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by negativf4kk

    To be or not to SUB......

    Thats is the question!!!!!

    I went ahead and did it. I am burned out on EQ2 so thought what the hell...atleast i got my 1200 cartel coins and HK 51 quests are fun.

    Bought two careel packs, got two rare pets, one rare vehicle and some xp potions. So not bad ;)

    Local charities will definetly be more pleased with your donation...

     

    Just saying.....

    <a href="http://www.danasoft.com"><img src="http://www.danasoft.com/sig/499105419258.jpg"; border="0"></a><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;"><p>Sign by Danasoft - <a href="http://www.danasoft.com">For Backgrounds and Layouts</a></p></div>

  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards TokyoPosts: 778Member
    Originally posted by negativf4kk
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by negativf4kk

    To be or not to SUB......

    Thats is the question!!!!!

    I went ahead and did it. I am burned out on EQ2 so thought what the hell...atleast i got my 1200 cartel coins and HK 51 quests are fun.

    Bought two careel packs, got two rare pets, one rare vehicle and some xp potions. So not bad ;)

    Local charities will definetly be more pleased with your donation...

     

    Just saying.....

    I thought i was trying to help you predicament regarding to sub or not. But didn't know i will get trolled.

  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member

    Lets get one thing straight. Us F2P players dont feel like we need the whole game unlocked. We are PISSED at the nickle and diming they are doing on such small elements. Actionbars, hide helmet, races, ect ect. Im for restrcting warzones, fp, w/e, since im playign CASUALLY in between rift and other games. Its UTTERLY RIDICULOUS to keep basic UI and races from us. This makes activision in my eyes atleast less greedy then EA and thats a FIRST! We dont feel we are entitled.

     

    What i would change is: 

    Give F2P all races, UI elements, ONE more char slot, lift the credit cap, and lift the crafting and storage limits. THATS ENTIRELY FAIR!

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • NinevenNineven Peoria, AZPosts: 85Member
2
Sign In or Register to comment.