Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My First Sandbox

2»

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People hyping games that are barely into alpha teast - Archage. I expect the majority to hang it from a tree if it is not what they want.

Too much pre-release hype with games on this site.

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Params7

3) Sandbox by nature means open full loot PvP, but there is no policing system in Darkfall which one of the disadvantages but also places more stress on the challenge of daily survival, making friends, etc. 

NO IT DOES NOT! Thats a huge misconception that brings a bad name to sandboxes.

Majority of sandboxes are not pvp orientated and some dont have pvp at all. Sandbox is all about freedom, exploration, crafting, business, player content, social aspects, grouping, and so much more.

Sandboxes are opposite of themeparks that force you down a certtain path, force you to pvp for end of game content, and other horrible console rpg aspects that leaked over to mmorpgs.

And to the OP, Archeage, the repopulation, greed monger, and a few others are peaking release within 6 months to 18 months down the road.

There are a few sandbox games out now but most have low population. And some sandbox worthy games that arent 100% sandbox that will work until a true one is released again.

So you're saying PvE sandbox is the only true sandbox? What a load of BS. As long as the game starts with a clean slate and lets player communities build player made content which leads to player made quests, that is sandbox and that includes all the subsets of BOTH PvE and PvP specific sandboxes. 

And full loot is a subset feature of true PvP sandbox. Basically, the closer to reality i.e. the more the game is influenced by players the more of a sandbox it is. Putting a restriction on loot where you only get XP or potatoes from the slain warriors bag is a harsh example of Game-Architecture forced limitation, basically what drags sandboxes to be turned into Themeparks. 

I will say that there not being an essential police system is bad. EVE online does it the best when it comes to this. 

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by botrytis

People hyping games that are barely into alpha teast - Archage. I expect the majority to hang it from a tree if it is not what they want.

Well hyping a game with 3 features and crap mechanics over a game with dozens of features already in place, lots of videos, several cb's is a bit different.

GW2,SWTOR, and several others didnt provide enough in depth features, videos, and so much more. But from seeing, reading, and watching things on archeage.... its one of the better games ive seen in years.

And if you look at any of my posts, i never hype a game. But this one keeps drawing me in and i have a good feeling about it. Has more features, larger world 100 times that of the past 20 mmo's released......combined ;)

And archeage is in final beta btw ;)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well hyping a game with 3 features and crap mechanics over a game with dozens of features already in place, lots of videos, several cb's is a bit different.

GW2,SWTOR, and several others didnt provide enough in depth features, videos, and so much more. But from seeing, reading, and watching things on archeage.... its one of the better games ive seen in years.

And if you look at any of my posts, i never hype a game. But this one keeps drawing me in and i have a good feeling about it. Has more features, larger world 100 times that of the past 20 mmo's released......combined ;)

Remember - TERA was better in Korea than here. Archage may go that way too. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

3) Sandbox by nature means open full loot PvP, but there is no policing system in Darkfall which one of the disadvantages but also places more stress on the challenge of daily survival, making friends, etc. 

NO IT DOES NOT! Thats a huge misconception that brings a bad name to sandboxes.

Majority of sandboxes are not pvp orientated and some dont have pvp at all. Sandbox is all about freedom, exploration, crafting, business, player content, social aspects, grouping, and so much more.

Sandboxes are opposite of themeparks that force you down a certtain path, force you to pvp for end of game content, and other horrible console rpg aspects that leaked over to mmorpgs.

And to the OP, Archeage, the repopulation, greed monger, and a few others are peaking release within 6 months to 18 months down the road.

There are a few sandbox games out now but most have low population. And some sandbox worthy games that arent 100% sandbox that will work until a true one is released again.

So you're saying PvE sandbox is the only true sandbox? What a load of BS. As long as the game starts with a clean slate and lets player communities build player made content which leads to player made quests, that is sandbox and that includes all the subsets of BOTH PvE and PvP specific sandboxes. 

And full loot is a subset feature of true PvP sandbox. Basically, the closer to reality i.e. the more the game is influenced by players the more of a sandbox it is. Putting a restriction on loot where you only get XP or potatoes from the slain warriors bag is a harsh example of Game-Architecture forced limitation, basically what drags sandboxes to be turned into Themeparks. 

I will say that there not being an essential police system is bad. EVE online does it the best when it comes to this. 

Do you even read what you write? You said basicaly the same thing i did.

But you said sandbox = full loot pvp, which is wrong. And no one said sandboxes are pve only. Please quote me saying that ;)  Only thing said was to correct you in say all sandboxes are full loot. Which they arent.

Remember - TERA was better in Korea than here. Archage may go that way too. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

true, but i can hope ;)

Why i never hype a game. But archeage does look so much better than the normal garbage released.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

XLGames are analyzing data from the 5th closed beta test.  You know alpha =/= beta testing, right?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         Ryzom was about the only sandbox game I played that was much fun.....THey redid the game and servers recently so this would be a good time to try it.
  • Jmerithew87Jmerithew87 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         Ryzom was about the only sandbox game I played that was much fun.....THey redid the game and servers recently so this would be a good time to try it.

Thank you, I may have to look into it

• dandy230dandy230 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Wurm online? Fre to try so nothing to lose there. Been playing a while now and quite enjoying it. Give it a go.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Vunak23

There are no sandboxes worth playing right now. They are either pretty dated or broken beyond belief (not being AAA). 

Like others have said wait for ArcheAge, if you can wait that long since its going to be the most complete sandbox to come out since before 2003-2004. We do have some good promising titles coming out besides ArcheAge as well, World of Darkness, perhaps Elder Scrolls Online, and if Smedley is actually telling the truth for once Everquest: Next. 

But if you were to dive into the sandbox world now, you will probably regret it and jump on the sandboxes suck bandwagon do to misguided representation from those terrible sandboxes that are out now. 

Edit: ArcheAge speculated release for the US is Q4 2013. 

What he said....

The "Indie" sandboxes out now will more than likely leave a really sour taste in your brain, eyes, ears, etc.  The concepts are there, but the money they need isn't and without money, the gameplay lags far behind any AAA title you can name.

There are some free-to-plays out there but they'll also leave you regretting your choice.  Most are just money hungry, premium/gold scamming pieces of fancy artwork with no depth.

Just wait a bit and you'll proabbly enjoy Archage.  You could always try some single-player "sandbox" style games in teh meantime.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Origins of Malu is another that is on the horizons.

Project Gorgon from AC1/2 developers also soon

Repopulation looks interesting, although its more military based then fantasy