Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My First Sandbox

Jmerithew87Jmerithew87 Member Posts: 6

Hello everyone, I figured this would be the best community to pose this question to. I'm no stranger to mmos, since 2004 I've been playing theme park mmos on and off. The majority of this time was spent with World of Warcraft, but I also checked out some other theme parks like Rift and AoC. The more I've played the more I realize I really enjoy alot of the aspects of mmos that Sandboxes really focus on, like crafting, exploration, and free form character development.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a sandbox that would be good for dipping my feet into the sub genre. I'm more into fantasy settings than sci-fi so I've kinda ruled Eve out at this point. Anime inspired is ok. Perma death and super hardcore PvP aren't really my cup of tea. I also don't have quite as much time as I'd like to be able to play games, so something where I can play a few hours a week and still feel like I'm accomplishing something would be preferable. I'm also interested in sandbox-themepark hybrids if there's any worth checking out.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Perpetuum
    Its like eve, but with mechs, easier on pveers as the high sec areas are 100% secure unless you voluntarily flag yourself pvp on, the controls are wasd, it has interesting anti zerg mechanics other games should copy. Easier on noobs as less vets.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Although that's sci-fi

Fantasy wise your looking at the new darkfall, but darkfall Is very pvp focussed.
  • usm4arusm4ar Member UncommonPosts: 15
    As far as sanboxes go there really is not anything great right now. Fallen Earth is decent. I would check out Archage. Its not sci-fi. It is due out this next year. It really looks good. Darkfall 2.0 also looks good. 
  • Jmerithew87Jmerithew87 Member Posts: 6
    Idk, it's not that I have anything against Sci-fi, I just like to see the progression of a character, as opposed to a mech or a ship
    I would wait then....like I sad, Archage is looking great. It has everything from player housing to player ships.
    Originally posted by usm4ar
    I would wait then....like I sad, Archage is looking great. It has everything from player housing to player ships.

From what I've heard Archeage does sound very promising, it's just every time I search for info on it, it's hard to find when it's actually going to make it to the US. I was hoping there might be something to help me get practice with Sandboxes in the meantime. I considered playing The Secret World, but I've heard mixed things, and I've been rather against it ever since Funcom announced the cash shop/ sub hybrid

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

There are no sandboxes worth playing right now. They are either pretty dated or broken beyond belief (not being AAA). 

Like others have said wait for ArcheAge, if you can wait that long since its going to be the most complete sandbox to come out since before 2003-2004. We do have some good promising titles coming out besides ArcheAge as well, World of Darkness, perhaps Elder Scrolls Online, and if Smedley is actually telling the truth for once Everquest: Next. 

But if you were to dive into the sandbox world now, you will probably regret it and jump on the sandboxes suck bandwagon do to misguided representation from those terrible sandboxes that are out now. 

Edit: ArcheAge speculated release for the US is Q4 2013. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

EQ next could be good if it stays a sandbox. I loved swg pre cu. I think the reason that developers stay away from sandboxes is because they do not think people have the time to devote to them.
  • Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Darkfall : UW.

1) Medieval high fantasy 

2) Sandbox, political oriented 

3) Sandbox by nature means open full loot PvP, but there is no policing system in Darkfall which one of the disadvantages but also places more stress on the challenge of daily survival, making friends, etc. 

Until the next Everquest its all we have, and EQ Next is 2 years away, at least. ArcheAge will be BS, I don't think it'll be any different than GW2. 

Also if you like space/sci-fi, then bar none, the only true AAA sandbox functioning right now is EVE Online. 

I would trust Archage over EQ next at this point. SoE has screwed games over one to many times. 
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Funny thing is, OP, though the term Sandbox gets thrown around a lot, the only Sandbox mmo I can even think of is Fallen Earth. People are full of crap, quit buying into the sandbox hype, we'll never get a true sandbox from a developer, it just costs too much.

True. I do think swg pre cu was a true sandbox as well.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Params7

3) Sandbox by nature means open full loot PvP, but there is no policing system in Darkfall which one of the disadvantages but also places more stress on the challenge of daily survival, making friends, etc. 

NO IT DOES NOT! Thats a huge misconception that brings a bad name to sandboxes.

Majority of sandboxes are not pvp orientated and some dont have pvp at all. Sandbox is all about freedom, exploration, crafting, business, player content, social aspects, grouping, and so much more.

Sandboxes are opposite of themeparks that force you down a certtain path, force you to pvp for end of game content, and other horrible console rpg aspects that leaked over to mmorpgs.

And to the OP, Archeage, the repopulation, greed monger, and a few others are peaking release within 6 months to 18 months down the road.

There are a few sandbox games out now but most have low population. And some sandbox worthy games that arent 100% sandbox that will work until a true one is released again.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

ArcheAge is a sandbox-style game, more like a hybrid.  Which is better actually I think, to help players get acquianted with the game before letting go of their hand in the sandbox world.

I'm looking forward to ArcheAge, also to EQNext, and The Repopulation (if it ever gets out of alpha).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

yeah, the repop looks good. 

Darkfall : UW.

1) Medieval high fantasy 

2) Sandbox, political oriented 

Until the next Everquest its all we have, and EQ Next is 2 years away, at least. ArcheAge will be BS, I don't think it'll be any different than GW2. 

Also if you like space/sci-fi, then bar none, the only true AAA sandbox functioning right now is EVE Online. 

Having played ArcheAge, I can call that statement BS. 

DF was a fun game for the hardcore sandboxers/pvpers (myself included in this), but as a Sandbox MMO to start out in (for someone that has never played one), no. It has way to many issues and does not accept new players very well. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Onomas

Majority of sandboxes are not pvp orientated and some dont have pvp at all. Sandbox is all about freedom, exploration, crafting, business, player content, social aspects, grouping, and so much more.

Sandboxes are opposite of themeparks that force you down a certtain path, force you to pvp for end of game content, and other horrible console rpg aspects that leaked over to mmorpgs.

And to the OP, Archeage, the repopulation, greed monger, and a few others are peaking release within 6 months to 18 months down the road.

There are a few sandbox games out now but most have low population. And some sandbox worthy games that arent 100% sandbox that will work until a true one is released again.

I noticed Greed Monger on Kickstarter a few days ago, I wasn't sure how to feel about it. I don't think I've heard anything about The Repopulation so I'll have to look into it

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Most of the Sandboxes took 1000,0000 of WoW damage in the past so there is no Sandboxes left well maybe Asherons Call blocked some.

Let's internet

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Params7   3) Sandbox by nature means open full loot PvP, but there is no policing system in Darkfall which one of the disadvantages but also places more stress on the challenge of daily survival, making friends, etc.     

Minecraft is a sandbox game. Minecraft servers are sandbox servers. You can servers that have PvP, servers without PvP, servers with Full Loot PvP, Partial Loot PvP and servers with No Loot PvP. None of that changes the game being a sandbox.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Jmerithew87

I noticed Greed Monger on Kickstarter a few days ago, I wasn't sure how to feel about it. I don't think I've heard anything about The Repopulation so I'll have to look into it

I would be very reserved in what you take from Indie developed sandboxes (believe me I have had more than my fair share of them). 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

You might take a look at Ryzom. It is a sandbox:

- classless, skill based

- all actions, including spells, crafting, combat, etc, are learned and built by the player

- intricate prospecting, digging, and crafting. Again, all constructed by the player.

- open world, no instances, free exploration

- consensual PvP, open PvP zones, and PvP over outposts that produce rare materials

- living world, with seasons, day/night, incredible creature AI

edit: free to play up to level 125 (out of 250) in skills. You could play for a long time to get all your skills to 125.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

All game companies started out as indie ;) Just saying.

But a few indie companies have done wonders, and the main stream companies keep sinking deeper into the hole and making just as much crap games as indie.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Honestly i found the best Sandbox ive played Was Face of Mankind back in the day. However since it has basically craped its pants because of the community i wouldnt suggest it. Eve tends to be where i would send people to or possible Archage.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Like others have said most sandboxes outside of eve aren't really worth the money, unfortunately.

Other than archage, you could try looking at linkrealms or origins of malu.  Not sure what info there is on them atm but worth a quick hunt.

DF:UW and greed i think are very pvp centric games.  I think in original df what you did mostly was grind then pvp(didn't play beyond the trial myself though)., not sure if DF:UW will be any different.

You could look into either ryzom, fantasy realm online or planeshift for now as they are  f2p and could do for now.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

World of Tanks gives nice Sandbox feeling ,its very minimalistic and theres terrible cash shop,but its really good example what sandbox can be,express yourself in the way you want.

Let's internet