Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons for minimal advertising/info

2»

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The melee combat was so bad, so ridiculously low quality in every possible way, as I said - I was expecting UO pre-Trammel (which I did play and also on Siege Perilous (the hardcore server) post Trammel/Felucca split)

and I was expecting Elder Scrolls style First Person perspective combat.

That is not what I found.

I would have LOVED DF if it was UO w/ ES combat.

But thanks for the insults haters. Defend your piece of crap D quality games. I expect a certain level of quality and competence if I'm going to be giving any money.

There are plenty of indie devs and companies out there who don't have much in the way of resources and release a quality product. AV isn't one of them.

Minecraft has better combat mechanics than the garbage I saw.

I never saw another player. The PvE "combat" against mobs was so terribly done, I couldn't bare the thought of giving the game any more of my time.

The reason for minimal advertising/info is because there is nothing positive to show.

The new videos are a joke. I've seen better quality with Jedi Knight PC mods in 1997.

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by Biskop   Putting a video together takes considerably less time than Tasos spends in the gym in one day.

I lol'ed. And I agree with the rest of your post. Something sure is fishy here. But I will be one of them old suckers that will try it either way. AV wins. Bastards...

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The melee combat was so bad, so ridiculously low quality in every possible way, as I said - I

I never saw another player. The PvE "combat" against mobs was so terribly done, I couldn't bare the thought of giving the game any more of my time.

The reason for minimal advertising/info is because there is nothing positive to show.

The new videos are a joke. I've seen better quality with Jedi Knight PC mods in 1997.

All the "issues" regarding DF seem to stem from you own shortcomings

Melee =  no tab target and you fail to hit

I never saw another person/Pve bad = get out of the noob spawns and learn to play

While I like the new graphics, graphics do not make a game.

Pro tip;  Try to be more specific in the future, simply saying its "bad"  of "sucks" is nothing but trolling.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by wireded21
    Originally posted by Greymoor

The biggest factor is probably server capacity.

- The DF severs can do 10,000 players concurrently, two servers which means 20,000 max at any one time

- This leads to a maximum population of probably 100-200k. With large queues around launch.

- EVERYONE who brought Darkfall 1.0, will not need to purchase 2.0.

- A lot of the old playerbase will atleast be giving 2.0 a try, they sold over 150,000 copies of the game.

Maths and logic clearly tells us they don't have a lot of room for advertising or releasing information because it will draw too much attention. The servers will already be full even with the current following and interest.

So they've redone the UI, engine improvements, animations etc. to get all previous subscribers to at least purchase 1 month of game time to try it...

I still find the lack of promotion odd.

Anyway, server capacitiy is never a problem. If they sell 10 million copies in the first month they literally pour money into EU#1, #2, #3 etc. etc. etc.

Better that then have a game with no players...

Right, but they'll open those servers only after they need them, rather than spending precious time and resources on advertising and servers, when they should be focusing on the game first.

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

MMO is probably the best genre susceptible to word of mouth. if the game is good, they're probably counting on it to be their major revenue bringer. 

And looks like half a million people will be trying out this game at launch? If this will already tax their servers, then it makes sense why they are hyping this game up a lot. YES they can use the extra revenue to build more servers but business expansion isn't as easy as it sounds. There will have to be proper leadership involved that will hold on to their culture as they hire more people to administer more servers and hire more HR to administer more employees, etc etc. 

The moment the company loses its culture is the moment the whole game will be affected. BETTER to incrementally build up over a gradual period of time than expand with a bomb blast. That way, they can be sure they will have a smoot launch with less bugs too. 

But if they are not expecting their servers to hit full capacity at launch, I guess they either don't know how to make trailers or don't like money. 

Originally posted by Hancakes

The melee combat was so bad, so ridiculously low quality in every possible way, as I said - I

All the "issues" regarding DF seem to stem from you own shortcomings

Melee =  no tab target and you fail to hit

I never saw another person/Pve bad = get out of the noob spawns and learn to play

While I like the new graphics, graphics do not make a game.

Pro tip;  Try to be more specific in the future, simply saying its "bad"  of "sucks" is nothing but trolling.

LOL you people are hilarious.

I was expecting FPS style aim and attack - not tab target - but it's a horribly done system when even compared to something as basic as the FPS style combat of Minecraft - another low budget indie game that actually is high quality.

Hard to get out of noob spawns and "learn to play" when the game suck so bad I can't stomach more than 45 minutes of its badness.

I'm sorry to you fans that I'm hating on "your" game - but it's awful.

As I said before and I'll say again - I would have LOVED DF if it was UO pre-Trammel with Elder Scrolls FPS combat -

UO was/probably still is my favorite MMO of all time and I LOVE the FPS combat of TES esp. Skyrim.

So keep spouting nonsense to try and cover up or convince yourselves that the game is good, but AV is a Grade D developer and the quality of their product is D+ at best.

Only thing saving them from F rating is that it's not vaporware and it actually runs for 45 minutes without crashing.

And no, this wasn't right at launch or anything it was like 7-8 months ago I tried the trial - when they had months (year+ right?) to polish and patch and fix.

And THIS is why there is no advertising or info - if people saw the game they wouldn't buy it (except of course for the die-hard faithful zealots any game has - no matter how bad it is.)

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

The melee combat was so bad, so ridiculously low quality in every possible way, as I said - I was expecting UO pre-Trammel (which I did play and also on Siege Perilous (the hardcore server) post Trammel/Felucca split)

and I was expecting Elder Scrolls style First Person perspective combat.

That is not what I found.

I would have LOVED DF if it was UO w/ ES combat.

But thanks for the insults haters. Defend your piece of crap D quality games. I expect a certain level of quality and competence if I'm going to be giving any money.

There are plenty of indie devs and companies out there who don't have much in the way of resources and release a quality product. AV isn't one of them.

Minecraft has better combat mechanics than the garbage I saw.

Unbelieveable. You didn't even dip your toes in, man. Yet here you are in a DF thread offering nothing but insults to it's playerbase and the game itself. "Defend your piece of crap D quality games". That speaks for itself.

I played TSW in beta for less than an hour. You will never find me in a TSW thread putting the game down. You know why? Real simple; I'd have squat to offer on the game because I know squat about the game. Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, mmos are unique amongst video gaming genres in that they take a wee bit more than the running time of an episode of The Walking Dead to get a real feel for. You really should know this by now.

You may want to seriously consider joining up with Ed Zitron to put together some stellar game reviews. It would be magic I tell ya, pure magic.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

Unbelieveable. You didn't even dip your toes in, man. Yet here you are in a DF thread offering nothing but insults to it's playerbase and the game itself. "Defend your piece of crap D quality games". That speaks for itself.

I played TSW in beta for less than an hour. You will never find me in a TSW thread putting the game down. You know why? Real simple; I'd have squat to offer on the game because I know squat about the game. Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, mmos are unique amongst video gaming genres in that they take a wee bit more than the running time of an episode of The Walking Dead to get a real feel for. You really should know this by now.

You may want to seriously consider joining up with Ed Zitron to put together some stellar game reviews. It would be magic I tell ya, pure magic.

Some things are objectively, not subjectively, poor in quality.

Like B movies.

Yet people still love B movies.

DF is objectively a very poor quality production - but that doesn't mean that subjectively people can't still love it does it?

No.

I'm just saying, the reason they aren't advertising is because they know they are a B movie studio with a B movie game.

Well, IMO it's more like D movie studio with a D movie game - but I'll still use B movie as people know that reference.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

I'm just saying, the reason they aren't advertising is because they know they are a B movie studio with a B movie game.

The reason has been covered...image  Even if they were an AAA studio wouldn't change the fact they have limited server capacity, why is that so hard to grasp? They can't just add more servers or expand the cluster to accommodate an infinite number of clients.

You also need to stop looking at UW as a legitimate commercial release. For starters they aren't charging the 150K+ past players for the client and AVs investors are focusing on Asia as the real money maker.  I see UW NA/Euro nothing more than a paid beta for said Asian Client.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It's ridiculous to think a MMO developer wouldn't advertise because they wanted to limit the number of customers.  It's msot likely due to a very limited budget.  When you only have enough money to develop the game, things like marketing/advertising have to go.

A part of it for sure; advertising is expensive. There will be ingame footage that players will make put online. There will be no accusations of Av trying to show inly the good oints. 

And sure new servers could be bought - and then closed. More money lost. 

And as others have said DF would suffer hugely - as in probably would not survive. There is no magic solution for merging it is always painful. Far better to expand the  capacity of the two servers if it comes to it.

Calling DF poor because you don't like the combat style, art style whatever is - "inappropriate". Not for you - and DF is not for many, many people for sure. For this is still the same brutal game that will appeal to a few; a few who will pay a sub (didn;t eA say sub games are dead?) - but now it has had a coat of polish and a new paint job.

A brutal game. So why advertise to the masses and then have to face a barrage of hate mail from people who feel they have been suckered and won over by slick advertising.  

DF is - and will always be - a "niche" game. And that is how it has to be run. To be "successful" - and anyone who knows what has happened to SWTOR knows that success comes in different shades of grey - DF has to be run differently.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Like B movies.

DF is objectively a very poor quality production - but that doesn't mean that subjectively people can't still love it does it?

No.

Well, IMO it's more like D movie studio with a D movie game - but I'll still use B movie as people know that reference.

Sorry, but you don't offer any objective reason for you rating man. All you critic can be countered by the simple question "Who are you and why i should bother with you taste on games ?".

The PvP combat in DF (DF1) is fast paced which demands lots of situational awareness and lets be fair about it it demands "skill". Of course it could have been done better  and with DF:UW they especially invested in that part of the game, in really almost everything combat and IMO too much.

IMO the problem wasn't the combat (which is the most intresting and best from any MMORPG) but everything around the combat.

Same goes for the PvE mob encounter. The combat is the best experience in any MMO due to mob abilities, the situational awareness needed. Was was wrong in PvE is the static nature of the spawns and the non-dynamically  and mostly non-sandboxy dynamics around it.

The art style around DF1 is the unique, authentic, distictively whats almost qualifys it as true art IMO.  Ask true artists why their artistry doesnt looked "polished" and they will laugh about it ..

The weakness of DF1 was the lack of interactivity and lack of sandbox options but this isnt something you could figure out in 45 min. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• JawshuaJawshua Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Like B movies.

No.

Sorry, but you don't offer any objective reason for you rating man. All you critic can be countered by the simple question "Who are you and why i should bother with you taste on games ?".

The PvP combat in DF (DF1) is fast paced which demands lots of situational awareness and lets be fair about it it demands "skill". Of course it could have been done better  and with DF:UW they especially invested in that part of the game, in really almost everything combat and IMO too much.

IMO the problem wasn't the combat (which is the most intresting and best from any MMORPG) but everything around the combat.

Same goes for the PvE mob encounter. The combat is the best experience in any MMO due to mob abilities, the situational awareness needed. Was was wrong in PvE is the static nature of the spawns and the non-dynamically  and mostly non-sandboxy dynamics around it.

The art style around DF1 is the unique, authentic, distictively whats almost qualifys it as true art IMO.  Ask true artists why their artistry doesnt looked "polished" and they will laugh about it ..

The weakness of DF1 was the lack of interactivity and lack of sandbox options but this isnt something you could figure out in 45 min. 

Its not worth even talking to him about it, he obviously has no clue about anything darkfall and has no skill in games so he needs a tab target game so he can succeed.  just laugh at him like the rest of the DF community and get ready to PK PK PK.