Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PC gaming done for?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Another thing is the indie boom, if your making an indie game its a lot more hassle developing for consoles (its the other way around for big studios). Pc Is the second easiest platform for a small team to work on after Android.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If nintendo stopped making toys and made a proper gamecube2 I would buy that in addition to my pc though. I really digged my gamecube as it had quality games you just couldn't get on pc, the two complemented each other. Don't really see the point of playstation and xbox when you own a pc, apart from maybe beat em ups there's no genre of game you can't get the same or better on pc. I mean halo 4 is exclusive, so what halo sucks, there are much better pc first shooters.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

PC games sales up 230%, Console game sales down 28%

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Well, I only buy pc games.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If we can get a high quality AAA fun MMORPG on the next generation consoles, I'll probably be done with PC gaming.

If FFXIV 2.0 is any good, and eventually jumps from PC/PS3 to X360/720, I may be done w/ PC gaming.

Graphics?

H4-

Crysis 2-

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Mari2k

Yep,  the only reason for me to turn on pc is when I want to play WoW.

With next gen konsoles pc gaming will die.

Next gen consoles,sure hardware is there,but what about next gen games ?

Those things are made for gaming only pretty much,what is next gen game ?

indie next gen game? doesnt even make sence.

Virtual reality xbox 720 mario bross ? maybe if you have 1000000000000000 dollars.

I think only way to do this is Wii way.

Edit or maybe Band Hero 2015™  which actually teleports you to real gig.

Let's internet

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No, definitely not. PC is still superior for RPGs, RTS and even FPS simply because a mouse and keyboard is much better than a silly controller. Consoles is mostly for action type games like sport games, platform games and others where a gamepad is more useful.

Also games for consoles are ridiclously expensive. Probably because they have monopolized the hardware and charge a royalty for any game developed on it. I would never buy a console for this reason alone.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I really dont get why all this stuff is about the PC is dead doomsaying crap. Ok so yes the PC only sells 60% units compared to what ipads/iphones and the like. So what, those items may sell almost 50% more units than the PC, what they fail to realize is that they have not taken into account parts (only full systems on the pc) also a PC can cost £1k (cheap system) to upwards of £5k (expensive gaming system) i myself have just got a new PC that cost just over £2k for a high end spec system, not ultra top spec but goos enough for whats out today and on the horizon.

Is it because companies carnt be bothered to properly support the PC and just quickly warp over games to it because it doesnt cost sod all to do that, apart from having many issue's it brings (that are somewhat fixed over time with patch's). But they charge full price for it which i do not agree with. With the state of poor games being done and whats becomming a money pit, its us the consumers/gamers that are hurt. This in turn hurts the software companies with trust, why would i pay that much for something that could be a pile of shite (after all its been happening since 2000 and becomming worse), any wonder why piracy has been on the increase. Which also is not a good thing but i can certainly understand why.

I myself have hardly bought a game since 2002, all i have done is jumped around online games and stuck with the one or ones that have been good to play. I myself will be making a return to WoW (again) and yes i know not that game but hey, i dont think there is anythign out there decent enough to stay with long term right now apart from this one. SW-ToR been there almost 5mths, bored after 3 mths, goign F2P hybrid this month, to me doing that says failure, lets rape what we can get from the community and unknowing punters before it goes completly. Same with Lotro never been back since it went F2P and also AoC.

Anyways, doomsaying against the PC has been going on for almost a year now, but these other appliances would have to sell 6x or so as many to cover the PC cost (this is just for the system) does not include monitors/keyboards/mice/speakers etc and does not include parts upgrade that are inside, it only goes off by units sold. If that was the case then i would expect 50% of the workbase people to hit the unemployment line, thus far it has not happened because the PC is not dead. They are probably wanting people to dump their current systems, get an ipad or whatever in the meantime and then 2-3 yrs down the road bring out the new style computers and make a killing.

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

Yes, PC is dying. It's because of the developers, who have mentioned many many times that they move to console based platforms because PC gamers keep ripping them off! John Carmack and the guys from Crytek have both stated that pirating on the PC is just to high, they are a business and exect to make money from their product.

I can't remember the exact number, but when the first Crysis came out, for every 15 sold, only 1 was legit, maybe the other way around, either way.

The only reason PC games are dying is becuase so many jackasses keep wanting free stuff! If you stop pirating, then everybody wins. But it won't stop, you can cry about the right to share all you want, but it really is just stealing.  And if you feel that prices are to high for games, then just don't buy it, that simple. But when you download it because you can't afford it, or feel it should be cheaper, then it's stealing! And that's why PC games are dying.

The guys at ID would prefer to develop for PC, but are moving more to conosoles so they can make their money back. And who cares if they make a billion dollars or more, they earned it! It's still no reason to pirate their game so much.

Now, with that said. I'm glad for platforms like Steam, it seems to be working and it brings us our great games for cheaper, deals, discounts...etc... Origin though, just sucks, but hopefully will get better. If anything, Steam will be what saves PC gaming, because PC gaming is just better.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

Na, if anything PC is better than it ever was before, we get super indie titles and lots of good games are coming.

Shooters, Rpgs, strategy games, SpunkgarglWweeWee´s, mmorpg´s, Simulation games, plataformers you name it, its better on PC.

We are getting ports of the best Ps3 games (playing dark souls atm), we got working emulators for games from every console of the generation before this one.

Games on PS3, Xbox, and wii look like ass compared to our high end pc´s.

We got Obsidian, Valve, etc.

Casual games were a trend thats dying out already (zynga is going down).

There is a reason the term "Elite PC gamers" is being used, we are doing so good that the entitled twats amongst us think they are actually better persons than console gamers :3

Originally posted by Yamota

No, definitely not. PC is still superior for RPGs, RTS and even FPS simply because a mouse and keyboard is much better than a silly controller. Consoles is mostly for action type games like sport games, platform games and others where a gamepad is more useful.

Also games for consoles are ridiclously expensive. Probably because they have monopolized the hardware and charge a royalty for any game developed on it. I would never buy a console for this reason alone.

I love this argument!

Mouse/keyboard is personal preference over controller. Period.

Console games are expensive? Last I checked console games are 60$ and PC games are... 60$.

Graphics?

Let's see...

look at my previous post. Even on aging 360 Halo 4 looks as good if not better then anything I have seen on PC.

My high-end (ish) gaming PC probably cost $800+ dollars and yes I built it myself.

My 360 was $500.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Robokapp

quite the contrary, it's very saturated and so the market is growing outside of it.

The video game industry is one of those important, high-tech economic drivers. Our industry generates over $25 billion in annual revenue, and directly and indirectly employs more than 120,000 people with an average salary for direct employees of $90,000."

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

I read through that, that seems to be gaming in general, as they lump console and pc gaming together.

I'd be interested to see something more akin to a chart showing console games vs pc games released per year. That way we could see if pc games are coming out at the same rate they were 5 ,10 years ago, etc.

Because from what i can tell, we are losing ground fast. i'll dig around abit and maybe find something to prove my point abit better

You had no point to begin with. As time goes on the lines between consoles and PCs will blur. Both sides will continue to be supported. Look at Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter for instance. The only reason you created this thread is because you are bored with the games you've been playing lately. Many have tried to predict the end of PC gaming but all have failed.

PC graphics -

Console graphics -

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Yamota

I love this argument!

Mouse/keyboard is personal preference over controller. Period.

Console games are expensive? Last I checked console games are 60$ and PC games are... 60$.

Graphics?

Let's see...

look at my previous post. Even on aging 360 Halo 4 looks as good if not better then anything I have seen on PC.

My high-end (ish) gaming PC probably cost $800+ dollars and yes I built it myself.

My 360 was $500.

You can often get the PC version in a digital download for much cheaper than $60 if you shop around. The PC version of every game always looks better if properly optimized. Consoles support 720P while PCs do 1080P. Next gen consloes might compete but if you look at the specs of the Wii U... then again maybe not.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Haven't you heard? PC has been dying for 20 years now. Bloody bastard just refuses to die. It's all about console players' ego stroking, as usual.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Snip

I fail to see the point, one runs at 30 fps and the one other isnt capped, you can probably run it at 60 fps with your rig, thats twice as much, but im guessing spock can count.

The fact that the graphics look like ass on both only tells me that it was designed with consoles in mind.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    If they do it for pirating.. they are failing.  Costs 60cents to make xbox game.  What is that maybe 20cents more than a pc game since you have to buy dual layer discs?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

With the addition of mobal gaming with smartphones and ipads,  I would say its the console that might go to the way side.

Console's over the years have tried to emulate the PC with HDD's, DVD's, and internet but always seems to be two steps behind the PC platform.  If I had stock in console's I would be looking to reinvest into something else because the furture is making the console look like a rotary phone.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint
    Snip

I fail to see the point, one runs at 30 fps and the one other isnt capped, you can probably run it at 60 fps with your rig, thats twice as much, but im guessing spock can count.

The fact that the graphics look like ass on both only tells me that it was designed with consoles in mind.

Yep the hardware of a state of the art PC is far superior to that of any console. Now if a developer does not take advantage of that, that is their problem and not of the platform.

And I dont know how it is in US but I have been in UK, France and Sweden and in all of those countries, new console games were about 20% more expensive than a new PC game. Just look at assassins creed 3 in amazon.co.uk. 

Platforms   Price   New Used
      PlayStation 3Order in the next 1 hour to get it by Saturday, Nov 10.
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.
      £38.50   £36.35 £34.99
      Xbox 360Order in the next 1 hour to get it by Saturday, Nov 10.   £38.50   £36.47 £33.99
      Nintendo Wii UAvailable for pre-order   £49.99      
      PC   £27.99      
    COD: Black Ops II. Same thing. Console games are more expensive than PC games and it is because the console maker is charging a hefty royalty and that is how they make money.
  • UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

[mod edit]

1.) As long as everybody has a PC in their homes, somebody is going to be designing games to play on them. 

2.) The amount of exclusive titles isn't going up, it's going down.  It wasn't all that long ago that practically every title on any platform all the time was exclusive. Now you get 2-3 that way and people lose their shit. 

3.) [mod edit]  The vast majority of people who play video games aren't interested in sinking 1500 dollars every few years into a gaming rig, and console specs are more than good enough to impress the typical gamer when the next gen comes out.[mod edit]

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

i was going to make a argument for PC here until i realised that outside of MMO's and FPS/TPS games all i play might as well be on the console (in fact most other games i play on a PC ARE from consoles such as the Need for Speed games and various fighting games all the way down to Assasins Creed)

Still Pc will remain the top dog on MMO's and Shooters until the Halo-babies finally outlives us... Nothing wrong with them... But thet are the generation that will slay the PC as a machine for shooters because they are used to clunky handcontroll aiming.

That is my look on it at least.

This have been a good conversation

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

PC graphics -

Console graphics -

You can post pictures all day long with whatever settings you use on PC and it wont make console games look any better than the PC games on my screen. I'm not saying console games look bad, games just simply look better on my PC screen and I have the freedom to add or remove features through options which is never a bad thing.

Not to mention pad vs. kb + mouse, you can have your personal preference but it does not change the fact that mouse is a lot more accurate and imitates better a situation where you aim a gun since you do it with your hand seamlessly instead of thumb on a little stick. Also pad sucks major on RTS games for obvious reasons.

It is also very limited for RPGs, that's why console RPGs need to pause all the time so you can scroll through an endless swamp of menus or navigate a button at a time on a hotbar, unless they have very simple combat mechanics and ability selections. I personally would never play an mmorpg with a pad, because either it will be clumsy as hell scrolling through the menus and skills, or the game simply is simple and limited as hell.

Consoles are just a hell of a lot more convenient for gamers and developers both, it's cheap and easy to set up, that's why consoles are so succesfull. Any idiot or kid can buy a console and just sit down and start playing as long as they know how to plug in the power cord, on PC you must do all kinds of hard things like installing the games, not to mention tinker with the options. There's a hell of a lot people out there who knows only how to browse the internet on PC, but who also likes to play games.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    It's not the games that are done, it's the players. Go out, breathe some air.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Although Halo opened my eyes to using a controller for a FPS, it's still light years from beating a keyboard/mouse.  They'd need some sort of glove controller in order to beat it in my opinion.

Hardcore PC gaming is always going to exist, but the majority of major devs are really starting to back away from the market and focus their efforts on consoles. That's fact.

Only two genres the PC market still holds a stranglehold on are RTS and MMO.

Console hardware is dated - right now - but next gen is on the horizon and PC is going to have a real, real hard time staying relevant if even half the rumors about the Xbox 720/Next and PS4 are true.

Vast majority of PC gaming done these days is ultra casual - Facebook, browser based, etc.

Even that is being replaced by tablet and smart phone gaming.

This is why major devs are moving to console.

The PC market is shrinking for gaming. It will never die, there will always be a subset of die hards - but next gen console is going to rock the gaming world hard - as I said especially if even half the rumors are true and the line between console and PC blurs.

And for anyone that thinks I'm some sort of anti-PC dullard -

I've been PC gaming for 15+ years and I work in IT lol and yes, a lot more than a helpdesk monkey.

And yes, I've got a $1000+ PC setup for high-end gaming I built late last year.