Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PC gaming done for?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Toxia

I've really been excited about some games on the horizon, only to find out they too are to be added to the list of  console exclusives.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not really against consoles themselves, just the fact everything is going console ONLY. They might do that for pirating, they might do it to raise console sales, i dont really care.

What i do care about, is that as a gamer, i have little to no use for my PC anymore. I browse the web, post on forums, look for gaming news, and game. That's about it. With all the games going only to console, i find myself wondering just why i built this big nasty pc. I can do everything i do on a ps3 or xbox. Typing might be abit funky at first, but like the old cell phone button scheme, i'll figure it out quickly and it wont be an issue.

Hell even mmo's are going to consoles, and thats really the last straw for me. This makes me pretty sad actually, PC gaming is where it started for me.

So where does this head? Eventually, no more games for PC, right? MMO's might hang for awhile, but honestly, i dont know if they are for me anymore, havent stuck with one for a long period of time in forever. Maybe they will head to consoles as well.

As a PC gamer getting his first taste of the bad side of consoles, i worry how long itll be. If me, a pretty avid computer gamer, find myself in this position, how long will it be before everyone is?

Worried man....worried and sad.

EDITED to clarify: I own a ps3 and a wii. I have ample games for both. The post is supposed to convey how i feel pc's are phasing out gaming wise, not that i hate consoles.

We already had this discussion when Nintendos NES competed against the C-64. The answer is still the same: Console games and home computer games are not the same thing and often attracts different people.

PC gaming are here to stay, at least for the next 10 years, after that anything can happen....

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Nah. Never.

Besides there is strong support from indie devs :). I always get addicted into lookin up steam greenlight games and those in kickstarter :D hehe.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

No I don't believe so.

Perhaps the question should be "Is PC gaming on the Windows platform done for?"

My answer to that question would be that it is hanging in the balance right now. There are some big movers within the industry that are starting to gear up and invest in linux due Windows 8.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Less and less games are exclusive now days, you have some titles but it was far more 4+ years ago . Blizzard managed to sell over 6million units of diablo 3 as an pc exclusive and those numbers say that pc is stil strong.

Its expensive to be a pc gamer so offcourse it won't have the numbers of console users, just as ps3 was alot more expensive then xbox 360 and they sold way fewer units.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    When next gen consoles comes to the stores near you,console gamers will demand 50 times better looking games than they have now,is that possible or cheap thing to do ?  its not and those games will cost so much that answer is no,PC gaming is getting just stronger.

Let's internet

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

no no no, and i sure hope it wil lnever causeof my business.

what gets to my tits is every frakking game goes to console fisrt and then ported to pc whilst pc can handle more stress from graphics etc and yet as pc user you need to play with console resolutions and memory limits wich is JOKE.

i plead to game companies seperate pc versions from console versions wich is not wise for profit in mind i know but it would be the best for pc player.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by wireded21

No I don't believe so.

Perhaps the question should be "Is PC gaming on the Windows platform done for?"

My answer to that question would be that it is hanging in the balance right now. There are some big movers within the industry that are starting to gear up and invest in linux due Windows 8.

no idea why windows 8 is not restricted at all when it comes to running games its just like windows 7 when you get rid of the silly metro thingy.

Plus linux still has a long way to go before its any where near as easy for people to use as windows is.. thats been the main issue with linux for a very lnog time.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

IF anything is dying, is quality productions and dev teams free to explore their creativity - opposed to chicken-farm devs enslaved by wall street brokers who care about only inflated overhyped press-releases to speculate on stock market (activision-blizzard, EA, NCsoft etc. - all they care about is playing stocks, not producing work of art like there used to be in the 90s).

The fact that indie productions and kickstarter(s) are booming, is the reaction to the above (althought gotta seriously admit that 90% of the stuff on greenlight and kickstarter is a steaming pile, only a tiny fraction is really awesome).

Personally, I throw my "disposable income" at everything I like, regardless of what platform it runs on. If it's multiplatform, I get the version that has more features (like on 360 is not HD, on ps3 is hd? I get the ps3 version. Is pc version better because it allows modding n stuff? I get the pc version).

And like others already said: if Valve plays it right with Linux, the market might face quite a change. Just think at what happened when Valve started to work with nvidia: linux drivers now have 2x performance (this week's news).

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Robokapp

realistically what's happening is consoles are becoming stronger platforms and are closing the gap.

I'm not sure what you mean? The next console generation, coming soon (Wii U being the first) isn't closing the gap at all. If anything, the new console generation will be much farther from the PC at the time of their launch than the previous generation was when they were launched back in 2005-2006.

I would imagine the console manufacturers would like to keep the next generation of consoles running for at least as long as the current generation did, that is 7-8 years. In a couple of years a budget PC from the market will already be more powerful than the "next gen" consoles and let's not even start talking about the high-end PCs, which can already today crush the next gen consoles (that are coming out next year).

PC will always be the cutting edge of gaming. That will never change as long as consoles are closed platforms that will be updated every decade or so.

And quite frankly, with the new trend of crowdsourcing PC exclusive games I cannot see the PC going away from gaming anytime soon...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    PC gaming will never die, if anything, it's console-gaming that'll die.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    It just died...Over there....God rest your pc gaming soul.....Amen...
  • rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Nope.  The main reason is that console makers charge such high prices for companies to develop games on them.  Hence the absurd prices on console games and the lemmings that pay such prices.  This leaves a nice market for the PC.

But there is an alarming trend of games being made for consoles and getting half ass ports to the PC.  I see most console games as being more rental quality than purchase quality.  FPS, RTS and MMOs are simply better suited to PCs.

So it leaves a nice market for dev's without enough financial backing to launch on consoles? seems like a step down, as far as quality. then again, havent seen much quality from the greats here lately anyways...good point, in any case.

i agree to the green completely. Tried playing Darksiders 2 with the pc controls. omg. had to actually plug in a controller to even enjoy that game, and i find it to be an awesome game lol

I just finish Darkside 2 on pc,  i played with pc port, in fact i dont even dare touching a controller for a fps. Maibe you are the one who prefer console port. That doesnt mean pc port on these game are not good.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I own a gaming PC, a PS3 and a Wii for my daughter.

I personally game on my PC 90% of the time. I do buy a few PS3 exclusives here and there, but mainly use my PC as the platform of choice. Even for multi platform games such as Skyrim, BL2, Batman AA/AC, Fallout, ect.

If its released for the PC and the PS3 my PC wins every time.

Thats me personally.

I have several long time friends who were once big into PC gaming that now game only on a console and use a PC for non gaming purposes only. I also have friends who own gaming PCs but not a console. And others who are just getting into PC gaming and building.

As for if PC gaming is dead or dying, I dont think so. And it seems there is evidence of it actually growing.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Grunty
    I haven't bought a console since the NES. I have no intention of ever buying a console. I might rethink that if Microsoft really does try to make it's current open operating system into a closed one like Apple's.

Closed one in near future and mainly focussing on phones and tablets im affraid PC is dying specially desktop.

And where still waiting for top games fully released in DX11 majority are still from XP ERA.

Win8 is step backwards.

I still love my games but my high end PC is not even close using all its power to run a DX11 game becouse the developers holding back for years now untill consoles also are DX11.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Grunty
    I haven't bought a console since the NES. I have no intention of ever buying a console. I might rethink that if Microsoft really does try to make it's current open operating system into a closed one like Apple's.

Not to worry. Steam for Linux is in beta and the new NVidia drivers for Linux have nearly doubled performance!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No. because if you game a lot it makes more sense economically to have a pc. New console games are £45, new pc games are £30 for the same aaa games. Then you get all the free stuff, mods, gog,indie bundles, steam sales etc.. on pc.

However if Microsoft get their way and we end up paying console prices with them taking a cut like console manufacturers do pc gaming is doomed as we won't be getting the loss leading hardware in compensation as console gamers do.

This is why win 8 MUST fail. If it succeeds we will get win 9 and £45 games with less mod and patch support just like console gamers.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

why would i give up on my old 900usd pc for a console that is by far weaker then a laptop?? honestly the day pc gaming dies it will mark the end of gaming ingeneral. 

consoles really only came about as people did not want to fork out the money for coin arcades or pcs :/  much like laptops happened cause people wanted to beable to take there work home with them to finish it. 

so no pc gaming is not dying. orginality and creativety may have died on pc though.. if the spam of CoD style fps games and really crappy wanna be wow knock offs are anything to go by. (thankgod for indie studios though..)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Well in a way it is but only because there a no games designed for PCs any longer. Developers a making it so with games that really don't cater to the crowd that wants more. Just ignore those of us to who made gaming a success.

I myself won't play and ported games or pure console games. Only PC games otherwise they are to easy not not worth the time. If I was worried about a great story I would watch a movie. No one understands true gaming anymore in NA.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I haven’t read the entire thread, so someone may have mentioned this already. Devs are leaving PC yes because of piracy, and now F2P. The idea that PC games should be entirely free. Independents who don’t have a contract with a console will still make games for PC. Some games may be ported to PC from console, mostly XBoX XNA games.

Realize that I am a console hater. In my 30+ years of gaming I have never once bought a console for myself. But I see where devs put their money and best efforts. I listen to what they say about PC gamers. Solid subscription games were the only hope for PC games. And now the future of subscriptions looks bleak to the industry. The phrase “Your game should be f2p” is equivalent to “This is a stick up, your money or your life.”

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

No, PC gaming is not dying. (Click for evidence)

Game publishers have been trying to kill it for years because it's harder to pirate on a console. However, if there is demand, there will be supply. People want to game on PC's and there are MANY MANY MANY more of them than consoles. So, it will continue.

There are roughly 1.1 billion PC's

There are roughly 200 million consoles.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    There's no concern for this until a console is manufactured that can replicate the level of storage, interface, and upgradability of a gaming PC. And guess what, that would make it a PC.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Yep,  the only reason for me to turn on pc is when I want to play WoW.

With next gen konsoles pc gaming will die.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sony built their success upon the playstation 1 being very easy to pirate for.

Also apparently we have this boom in mobile gaming. It is comically easy to pirate mobile games, especially Android ones.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Almost all the games I've ever wanted to play has been released on PC, there has been very few times a moment where I was dissapointed that a game was being released only on consoles. There has been situations the otherway around too though, especially with a bunch of RTS games, not sure how you even can play RTS games with a pad, heck I dont even like to play shooters with a pad.

It's not really a problem, you also run into the same problem unless you own every console since there's console exclusive games left and right. As far as I know PC is actually doing really well now that digital distribution is going strong and internet connections are very fast.

The one thing that makes me a mad bro though is when I buy a PC game and find out that it's a shoddy console port with shitty controls, bad graphics, and poor options just like on consoles.