Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Size of the game world

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

There have already been a few interivews that have told us that the game is going to be very linear and somewhat "on rails" aka WoW like in it's questing.  Although while doing the "on rails" portion, they have said that you will find additional dungeons and events to jump in on via your minimap.  (think Skyrim)

But one thing I would like to see answered, is "how big is the game world?"  Just how much exploration will we find?  Over the last 10 years we have seen MMO"S continually shrink in game world size with each release.  EQ took 10-15 min. to cross some of the zones.  Now we have games like TSW, eq2, wow, guild wars etc where you can not only cross the entire zone in 3-5 min.

Instead of huge immense wildreness areas with mobs spread out and just big empty spaces, we see much smaller areas filled to the brim with mobs.  So much so that you can't walk 10 feet without some baddie to kill.  So i personally would love to know, just how big the game world will really be?

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    cyrodiil is bigger than oblivion.  in my eyes that makes for a pretty massive owpvp zone.  they've hinted that the zones of skyrim and morrowind will be slightly smaller than their srpg counter parts.  take from that what you will.  at this point we really dont know how big teso will be.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by muffins89
    cyrodiil is bigger than oblivion.  in my eyes that makes for a pretty massive owpvp zone.  they've hinted that the zones of skyrim and morrowind will be slightly smaller than their srpg counter parts.  take from that what you will.  at this point we really dont know how big teso will be.

This is what kind of worries me.  After playing skyrim for about 2 weeks, the land mass wasn't really anywhere near as big as it looked at the start.  Kind of like vanilla Rift looked huge at the start.  But once your reached 50 you saw how small it really was. I would just hate to see a game with so much potential go down that same road.  And if they are going to make the area's even smaller than they were in their counterparts, that worries me honestly.

I know many people will say, "but you have all 3 area's to explore!  So your really getting 3x the land mass."  But as a gamer I have always chosen one faction and stuck with it.  I don't like to make a character for each faction to see the different areas.  I like feeling an attachment to my faction, and faction hopping ruins that feeling of attachment.

Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by muffins89

This is what kind of worries me.  After playing skyrim for about 2 weeks, the land mass wasn't really anywhere near as big as it looked at the start.  Kind of like vanilla Rift looked huge at the start.  But once your reached 50 you saw how small it really was. I would just hate to see a game with so much potential go down that same road.  And if they are going to make the area's even smaller than they were in their counterparts, that worries me honestly.

I know many people will say, "but you have all 3 area's to explore!  So your really getting 3x the land mass."  But as a gamer I have always chosen one faction and stuck with it.  I don't like to make a character for each faction to see the different areas.  I like feeling an attachment to my faction, and faction hopping ruins that feeling of attachment.

i worry about that too honestly.  but,  you have to remember that skyrim,  morrowind,  and black marsh,  make up one faction zone.  skyrim might be small for an mmo.  but think of how many caves and poi's there are.  skyrim is a pretty massive game.  so lets say that one pve faction zone is 3 times the size of skyrim.  that's an enormous zone.  i've put about 300 hours in skyrim and i have yet to see everything.   take the content of skyrim times it by three and you have a shit ton of stuff to do.    i think in the end it doesnt matter how big the zone is but what they can do with that space.   as far as the 3x the content.  we have yet to see what it will be like.  but yeah,  9x the size of skyrim sounds like an awful lot of content. 

p.s. oblivion is 1/3 bigger than skyrim.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Ahh now that makes me feel better. :)  

I'm not huge into the lore of the elder scrolls, so I thought each faction would be in one of the previous games areas.  IE one in skyrim, one in oblivion, one in morrowind.

Originally posted by ragz45

Ahh now that makes me feel better. :)  

I'm not huge into the lore of the elder scrolls, so I thought each faction would be in one of the previous games areas.  IE one in skyrim, one in oblivion, one in morrowind.

yeah,  no.  skyrim makes up 1/3 of the ebonheart pact. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It is really a point that worries me too. Tamriel has to be MASSIVE to be believable. Take, as reference, WOW. In WoW every region has maybe one village or small city. Now Tamriel has TONS of cities. If you recall the Daggerfall or Arena games, the world has actually hundreds or thousands of villages and cities. Now sure they reduce it. But even if you take Skyrim and Morrowind, and a MMO has to be even larger! I am sort of afraid they shrunk Tamriel quite a lot and it's more a sort of backyard you explore in no time. In my imagination every single Province of Tamriel should at least be the size of Azeroth + Kalimdor, to be halfway right. And Skyrim and Imperial Province should be about at least twice the size of their respective single player games, and how likely is that??

Hmm.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I think that Elder Scrols was never about world area in square miles, but more about numerous caves and dungeons. Having that in mind, IIRC they announced that Cyrodiil will have at least as many caves as it had Oblivion.

WoW was also never about size of the world. Instead, they opted for distinct look for each zone, where you could always know which zone you were in, just by looking at the world around you. I wish I had that impression in GW2 too.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    TES game is a single p,Ayer game. The MMO can't have land mass of the same size since it has massively multiplayer all on same server. Maps likely will be bigger than their single player counterparts.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, if it is a mmo on rails, I will be passing.  People are calling it a TOR clone, no idea, but if so, it will not end well.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Well, I heard one reference as far as game-world size goes, and they said that Cyrodiil, was about the same size as it was in Oblivion, and it made up about 1/3rd of the entire game-world.... So we can expect the game-world to be roughly about 3x the size of Oblivion at launch, however, keep in mind that this is an MMO, and so content will be added MONTHLY according to Matt Firor, so the world will keep growing bigger and bigger as time goes on...

This means that players will never run out of things to explore, because the game never ends... as they said, you're paying for a SERVICE here, not just a game you beat and then put on the shelf.