Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of a fanboy, or why one fan is semi-quitting the game

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Before anyone takes this op at all seriously, the management suggests a careful review of the posting history in question.

This x 100

End thread /

Not that I'm oblivious to that, more that I just believe in cutting people some slack.  I've posted things I'm not proud of, too.. you'd have to dig deeper into my history than mmorpg.com to find much of that, but its there.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Before anyone takes this op at all seriously, the management suggests a careful review of the posting history in question.

This x 100

End thread /

Not that I'm oblivious to that, more that I just believe in cutting people some slack.  I've posted things I'm not proud of, too.. you'd have to dig deeper into my history than mmorpg.com to find much of that, but its there.

Emotions get the best of everyone.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

I see the word longevity being brought up alot on this post and is a huge problem with the game as a whole. I would like to remind everyone that this very site gave GW2 a 9 in the catigory of longevity.

LONGEVITY – 9

This is always a tricky category to score, but it must be addressed.  In terms of “out of the box” gameplay, there’s hundreds and hundreds of hours’ worth of content here.  As I said before, it’s one of the most complete MMORPGs we’ve seen in years.  There’s just so much to do, and it’s rare that I can say I enjoy every system a game has to offer.  Usually there are things I don’t do, especially crafting as an example, and yet crafting in GW2 is how I’ve obtained most of my items while leveling across my characters.  What other MMO can I say has so much to do right out of the gate?  There haven’t been any in recent memory.  That said, while I expect to see a “Road Map to the Future of Tyria” soon from ArenaNet, right now there is not all that much to do at level 80 besides work towards legendary items (largely visual upgrades), work towards achievements and map completions, and partake in PVP.  That’s no different than any MMO really.  So what I’d like to see down the road is more character progression through new skills or traits at level 80.  Still, the sheer amount of content to be consumed in GW2 at launch is enough to keep most players busy for months.

Perhaps when it comes to this catagory, a score shouldnt be givin for at least 6 months.

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by remyburke
    For me, it took the removal of the trinity to make me realize how much it's needed in a themepark MMO. Dungeons in GW2 are a fucking mess.

I only did AC story mode once and I am still recovering from the PTSD of it....are they all that bad?  I have been toying with trying one again.

Nope msot of them are very easy, you jsut got to pick the right path to do.  Still alot of the encounters are nothing but a rez, release and return zerg strategy but not to the extent that AC was.  CoF is the easiest and can be ran with no deaths on a certain path.

Why such a lazy design?  Absolutely the worst thing you could do to the dungeon experience.

I said so as much in between all my fanboish posts about the game.  What the GW2 needs is first a dungeon finder (disagree with me all you want but its the only reason why I stuck with WoW thoughout all of BC/WotLK) and a way to normalize agro instead of playing ping pong with the mob.

A dungeon finder might be OK for ultra casual games like GW2.  It worked for WoW's new (2009+) model (ugh).  It worked to some extent for SWTOR (sigh, wrong audience for this game but w/e).

For the casual game that GW2 is, I guess it's not too much to ask for.  Players in casual games don't care about community, or social aspects, so why not.

I hear this argument all the time that dungeon finders destroy community yet have not seen any proof of it.

I think I might still be playing Asherons Call if it had a Dungeon Finder and an Auction house, those 2 themepark innovations are the greatest thing to ever hit the genre IMO.

Now for me its the other way around. I feel these 2 "innovations" are some of the worst things to hit the genre. It lends to a lazier mentality of how one approaches the game. Dont wanna farm for mats? a quick stop at the AH will solve my issues. Dont wanna try and find a group? Dungeon finder with cure all your ills.

Its like with anything that offers ease. remote controls stoped people from getting off the couch to change the chanel. auto windows stoped people from cranking there windows up. this list goes on and on.

sure these things make people lives easier but easier doesnt mean its better. For me i like farming for mats or developing relationships with those that farm mats that i cant. looking in shops that other players set up looking for items i may want/need.

Would be grat downtime gameplay and youll find things you didnt know you even wanted when dealing with player owned shops insted on AHs.

Same goes for looking for group mates. the conversations we use to have waiting to find that last member of our group were great. you would get to know eachother. Groups are put together so fast now adays there isent time to conversate.

These "innovations" are the killers of socialization. Everyone is to busy to windowshop at player stores. there to busy farming instance after instance to really conversate with a fellow groupmate.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

I see the word longevity being brought up alot on this post and is a huge problem with the game as a whole. I would like to remind everyone that this very site gave GW2 a 9 in the catigory of longevity.

LONGEVITY – 9

This is always a tricky category to score, but it must be addressed.  In terms of “out of the box” gameplay, there’s hundreds and hundreds of hours’ worth of content here.  As I said before, it’s one of the most complete MMORPGs we’ve seen in years.  There’s just so much to do, and it’s rare that I can say I enjoy every system a game has to offer.  Usually there are things I don’t do, especially crafting as an example, and yet crafting in GW2 is how I’ve obtained most of my items while leveling across my characters.  What other MMO can I say has so much to do right out of the gate?  There haven’t been any in recent memory.  That said, while I expect to see a “Road Map to the Future of Tyria” soon from ArenaNet, right now there is not all that much to do at level 80 besides work towards legendary items (largely visual upgrades), work towards achievements and map completions, and partake in PVP.  That’s no different than any MMO really.  So what I’d like to see down the road is more character progression through new skills or traits at level 80.  Still, the sheer amount of content to be consumed in GW2 at launch is enough to keep most players busy for months.

Perhaps when it comes to this catagory, a score shouldnt be givin for at least 6 months.

Funny that you say that.

I was looking for some GW2 predictions. I discovered this old post doing some google searching for "Gw2 6 months from now"

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4844867

How ironic that it's about 6mo old.

Originally posted by Deleted User

The fails and trolls will come up with anything.  Its ok though guys cant stop a freight train that is GW2.  6 months from now what excuses will you be "making" up when GW2 easily becomes the 2nd highest populated in the world?

Simply wait 3 months for everyone to finish the content, say "That's it?" and then watch GW2 fizzle down into the little Niche game it really is.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Funny that you say that.

I was looking for some GW2 predictions. I discovered this old post doing some google searching for "Gw2 6 months from now"

The fails and trolls will come up with anything.  Its ok though guys cant stop a freight train that is GW2.  6 months from now what excuses will you be "making" up when GW2 easily becomes the 2nd highest populated in the world?

Simply wait 3 months for everyone to finish the content, say "That's it?" and then watch GW2 fizzle down into the little Niche game it really is.

Is there another MMO that's more heavily populated than GW2 right now, aside from WoW?  I'm concerned about the way its heading.. but its a bit premature to say he was wrong about that, I think.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by xAPOCx

LONGEVITY – 9

Funny that you say that.

yikes.

Funny that you say that.

Is there another MMO that's more heavily populated than GW2 right now, aside from WoW?  I'm concerned about the way its heading.. but its a bit premature to say he was wrong about that, I think.

Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.

Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.

It is difficult to say, but I still think its way ahead of.. what?  TOR?  Aion?  I'm not even sure what MMO might be ahead of GW2.  I think one of GW2's biggest problems, population wise, is that whatever the server pop is, most of them are in WvW, SPvP, or running instances, leaving the entire open gameworld deserted.  

Even the highest level zones are looking pretty bleak these days, but I don't think its because the servers are empty.  I think it's because they've totally failed with the whole game is endgame thing - and that will eventually lead to the servers being empty.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.
      It is difficult to say, but I still think its way ahead of.. what?  TOR?  Aion?  I'm not even sure what MMO might be ahead of GW2.  I think one of GW2's biggest problems, population wise, is that whatever the server pop is, most of them are in WvW or running instances, leaving the entire open gameworld deserted.     Even the highest level zones are looking pretty bleak these days, but I don't think its because the servers are empty.  I think it's because they've totally failed with the whole game is endgame thing - and that will eventually lead to the servers being empty.
    I didn't want to turn this into another "GW2 is dying..No it's not thread". I just thought it was ironic, the OP's overall intolerance to opinions other than his own. I just hope he can see that the way he branded people from as far back as we can go. Compare that with what he personally thought GW2 was going to be as a game and how his own personal relationship to the game changed within the exact time frame he cited.
    I didn't want to turn this into another "GW2 is dying..No it's not thread". I just thought it was ironic, the OP's overall intolerance to opinions other than his own. I just hope he can see that the way he branded people from as far back as we can go. Compare that with what he personally thought GW2 was going to be as a game and how his own personal relationship to the game changed within the exact time frame he cited.

Ok, I get where you're coming from now.  Sorry about that :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Without any social structure or concrete tools for social interaction and Roleplay, what you found is what others have also found.

GW2 is a very lonely game experience.  Even with friends to play with, they eventually disappear, and guilds don't have any real substance.  There is no bonds to tie you to your character or to other players.  As an MMORPG, GW2 fails, and fails hard.  Regardless of what perversions of MMORPG's fan might have you believe.

Essentially when you are finished with the solo-player experience, there is little to fall back on.  GW2's version of RvR doesn't hold any real incentive to keep playing either.

I kind of surprised that you saw the removal of the trinity as a good thing.  To me, that just made every class rather bland.  During my AD&D nights, every person at the table was important, which was uplifting to every participant.  In GW2, nobody is important - everyone is just needed to fill a gap, regardless of who they are.  .. We need "you" to help, not because of any quality you have, but because you are a living breathing person like everyone else .. bleech!

As much as I like GW2 as a video game (and I do like it), as an MMORPG I think it is absolutely awful.  I don't think ANET are stupid or misinformed people; quite the contrary.  They just have no idea what an MMORPG is.   The game looks, smells, and sounds like one....but it's nothing more than a caricature of one.

Play the game as you would a single player console game and you'll enjoy it.  That's what I do and I still continue to have fun with it.   But you definitely have to play many alts to keep any  replayability with this one...one character just gets too dull too quick.

Agree 100%. This game is great fun for a month or two but not so good MMORPG. Considering this is Arena Nets first MMORPG maybe that is not so surprising.

Ok, I get where you're coming from now.  Sorry about that :)

Here's the thing. Back when I joined this site. I didn't hate GW2. I still don't. I own the game and still log in and play it from time to time. But at the same time, OP used to make some outrageous claims for this game. And those of use who didn't agree with the outrageousness and said "Hey, wait a minute...." got challenged for our "misnfomation", "lies" and our "ignorance" among other things. The arguments turned int opersonal attacks. Then we had to defend not our positions, but our persons. The next thing you know, we are "Haters and trolls" When in fact, we were not. Some of us were just trying to keep grounded. But the fence was erected and people were lumped into one of 2 camps. I didn't chose my camp. That was done for me by people like OP. He said many things because he thought he knew how it would turn out. But what did OP really know 6 mo ago? He may have known alot about what GW2 was, but he did not know that his feelings might change.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Yamota

Agree 100%. This game is great fun for a month or two but not so good MMORPG. Considering this is Arena Nets first MMORPG maybe that is not so surprising.

WoW was Blizzard's first MMORPG.  Rift was Trion's first MMORPG.  EVE was CCP's first MMORPG.  UO was Origin System's first MMORPG.  DAoC was Mythic's first MMORPG.

Interestingly enough, it seems that in cases where a second MMORPG was made by the same company, it was worse than the first.  I do not believe it being a first try is something to cut slack on.  They were fully aware of the market they were entering with GW2 and the design simply did not hold up for the long run as (I assume) they expected.  It's unfortunate.  I had hoped for more, but it is what it is.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Funny that you say that.

Yes a few actually.

Drakansang has 9 million players and PW is right up there as well plus Lineage 2. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer Unfortunately, we really have no way to know what the overall populations really are. That topic has been discussed adnausium and still nothing more than "Servers are Full" can be determined. GW2's success can't really be measured by retention anyway. Once we get past the 2M in sales, the only thing that matters are CS purchases which are also being discussed in other threads now too. My personal opinion is that populations are a lot lower than people are admitting. But at the same time, they aren't at Niche Game levels either.
      It is difficult to say, but I still think its way ahead of.. what?  TOR?  Aion?  I'm not even sure what MMO might be ahead of GW2.  I think one of GW2's biggest problems, population wise, is that whatever the server pop is, most of them are in WvW or running instances, leaving the entire open gameworld deserted.     Even the highest level zones are looking pretty bleak these days, but I don't think its because the servers are empty.  I think it's because they've totally failed with the whole game is endgame thing - and that will eventually lead to the servers being empty.

OP has moved to TESO now and i am already starting to see same pattern there.

Flame and insult others for being critical, intolerant to any negative opinion of TESO other than of his own which will definitely go on for months till release and couple of months after release. 

And then you will see another 'death of TESO fanboy' topic.

I've notice this as well but i think people are wising up to it.

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Yes a few actually.

Drakansang has 9 million players and PW is righ up there as well plus Lineage 2. 

If we're comparing population in terms of concurrent users, I find that hard to believe.. but sure, maybe you're right.  I don't know.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I don't know about that.

GW2 is quite a big game, with quite a good chunk of vertical space on top of horizontal space.

I play in Desolation (which is one of the biggest EU servers) and at 23:00 GMT (meaning central Europe7Scandinavia was midnight) in Harathi Hinterlands and Lornar's Pass ( 2 mid level areas) I easily saw 20+ players in each area (and I didn't go everywhere in them).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Still playing and having fun! Don't know what you're talkin bout Willis!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

to people who claim GW2 doesnt have end game

i want to know the definition of  "END GAME"

Rift,Wow,Lotro etc etc do they have end game? if possible give me some details of "end game" for the games i just named

so i can figure out what is end game

Originally posted by Tonin109

to people who claim GW2 doesnt have end game

i want to know the definition of  "END GAME"

Rift,Wow,Lotro etc etc do they have end game? if possible give me some details of "end game" for the games i just named

so i can figure out what is end game

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MMORPG+%22end+game%22

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gw2+end+game

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rift+end+game

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wow+end+game

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lotro+end+game

I hope that helps.

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Yes a few actually.

Drakansang has 9 million players and PW is righ up there as well plus Lineage 2. 

If we're comparing population in terms of concurrent users, I find that hard to believe.. but sure, maybe you're right.  I don't know.

I actually left out MapleStory as well.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Without any social structure or concrete tools for social interaction and Roleplay, what you found is what others have also found.

GW2 is a very lonely game experience.  Even with friends to play with, they eventually disappear, and guilds don't have any real substance.  There is no bonds to tie you to your character or to other players.  As an MMORPG, GW2 fails, and fails hard.  Regardless of what perversions of MMORPG's that fans might have you believe.

Essentially when you are finished with the solo-player experience, there is little to fall back on.  GW2's version of RvR doesn't hold any real incentive to keep playing either.

I kind of surprised that you saw the removal of the trinity as a good thing.  To me, that just made every class rather bland.  During my AD&D nights, every person at the table was important, which was uplifting to every participant.  In GW2, nobody is important - everyone is just needed to fill a gap, regardless of who they are.  .. We need "you" to help, not because of any quality you have, but because you are a living breathing person like everyone else .. bleech!

This mirrors my own thoughts and feelings.

RvR did nothing for me - and it always felt like I was playing alone even when I wasn't - the dungeons did nothing for me.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by BadSpock

GW2 is a very lonely game experience.  Even with friends to play with, they eventually disappear, and guilds don't have any real substance.  There is no bonds to tie you to your character or to other players.  As an MMORPG, GW2 fails, and fails hard.  Regardless of what perversions of MMORPG's that fans might have you believe.

This mirrors my own thoughts and feelings.

RvR did nothing for me - and it always felt like I was playing alone even when I wasn't - the dungeons did nothing for me.

The game is not for you - what is so hard to understand? I feel these threads are like the vidoes of people beating fur seal pups. What I mean by that is they become pile on threads not valuable discussions. BS is one a very thoughtful poster, so it is hard to see him go. It is understandable.

I think removal of the trinity as one big plus. I find the trinity just makes for Elitism.

I don't find GW2 a lonely experience, Rift wss lnoely beacuse I was not at the Dungeon running level that my friends were and they said my armor, etc wouldn't let me handle the damage. So I ended up doing things alone. I was lucky there were some nice strangers that helped me do dungeons but that is rare.

People complaining about GW2 dungeons - I have run Rift's Hammerknell dungeon and it was like WTF! The first boss all DPS is behind the boss and have to move out of and back behind like every 30-60 seconds. The dungeons were not hard but the skills and the SImon -Sez crap in a dungeon is just too much stupidity for me.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I think for a MMO to really work for me personally it has to have lots and lots of forced grouping, trinity roles, and I have to get lucky with server choice / guild joining to find a good group to run with.

FFXIV might be my next new game.

FFXI was a lot of fun when I had people to party with - and I just love the FF atmosphere.

I kind of want a game with a lot of open world grouping like TERA's BAMs or the more old school farming-mobs-in-a-party play sessions.

And then of course dungeons and raids.

I'm really beginning to buy into the whole "solo everything ruins community and you need forced grouping / clear roles to create bonds" mentality - it really did work back in the day.

But I also hated the "stand around for an hour spamming a chat channel to find / complete a group" thing.

It'd be interesting to see such a thing applied in a game that also had a robust LFG system and perhaps even mega-server tech so you can always find leveling parties in your range.