Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-Sport Material?

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

does this game still have potential to be an E-Sport? 

cause honestly im not seeing it.

Comments

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

http://thedragonarena.com/

Your answer lies within...

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

http://thedragonarena.com/

Your answer lies within...

based on the fact that the last forum post was october 2nd.  i'll go with a firm no.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

GW1 for sure was (no clue if still is).

GW2 def not (yet?)

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

nice question ^^

im not into esports, what makes a game "esport'able", whats the criterias for a ESL gamer on a software ?

in my n00b-book GW2 hasnt enuff buttons to press, but as said, not idea what "competitive players" want or need to make a game go for esports ...

nevertheless i'd like to know :)

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Only if there is a seperate league for Mesmers, Thieves, Guards and Warriors lol.

These are too easy to dominate with if one considers their abilities when played by people of equally high skill in PvP.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Potential? Definitely yes. It's just very young game that needs to grow up.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I'm not very convinced.

To be an Esport the game needs to attract viewers.

Those viewers need to understand what is happening and what could be happening, what choices a player makes.

Considering amulet, rune, glyphs and traits are all chosen before the game starts, I'm not sure if a viewer will understand what is happening, what is a brilliant play and what is an error or just luck or lack of it.

GW1 was realy hard to follow if you didn't know the game yourself and the observer tools were paltry.

GW2 to succeed as an Esport will require good observer and replay tools.

Not sure if the current sPvP mode is the best - GW2 could easily turn into a MOBA of sorts and with in match progression opposed to pre-match choices could be better.

Will have to see.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Definately there, but need a lot of ballancing yet.
  • Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    No this game does not have esport potential. If you look at the games twitch viewer numbers they are abysmal now. The game has completely lost momentum for esport interest. I'm not sure why it dropped so fast, I think it may have been tied into the poor stat tracker on the games launch. People into sports like stat numbers; I don't know how it is now, but the first few weeks the stats told you very little in what was going on in the match as far as who was doing what is concerned.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    No. It was a mistake to go with domination instead of elimination.  Domination just aint as thrilling.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The 2 main things for Esport are:

- Audience;

- Money.

Without a good observer mode/replay viewer audiances wont exist.

Without big tournaments you won't get players.

Then there is the problem that afflict all MMOs and i mentioned early.

i don't think domination is the problem.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34
    Can't see why anyone would want to watch or pay to watch someone play GW2, It's not like it's CS back in the day at CPL. Also it's not really a sport, it's like calling chess or snakes and ladders a sport. Maybe thats why we have a world full of obese people.
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by xaus
    Can't see why anyone would want to watch or pay to watch someone play GW2, It's not like it's CS back in the day at CPL. Also it's not really a sport, it's like calling chess or snakes and ladders a sport. Maybe thats why we have a world full of obese people.

"World full of obese"?  

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• Creslin4321Creslin4321 Member Posts: 19

Not yet I don't think.

The problem is that there are just way too many problems with sPvP right now for an eSport scene to grow.  Some of them are:

1.  No spectator mode, so commentaries will always be player perspective which is definitely not the best.

2.  Lack of statistical information at the end of a fight, like no damage numbers etc. etc.

3. Paid tourneys are incredibly inaccessible to new players.  Right now, just a few teams dominate them and any newcomers will just get stomped and lose their tickets that they got with real money or grinding.  Not very fun.

4.  Current metagame leads to too many "cookie cutter" teams and not much variety.

5.  Conquest game mode is a turn off for some.

As for me, I LOVE the combat system in GW2, and I think that it could develop a great eSport scene, but sPvP REALLY needs some help before that happens.  Right now, I feel like WvW is far better for PvP action.

Originally posted by bcbully
    No. It was a mistake to go with domination instead of elimination.  Domination just aint as thrilling.

I agree.

I really, really hope that they add a game mode that focuses on killing the other players.  It doesn't have to be straight team death-match, but the fact that I spend more time running from one point to another, or camping one point than I spend fighting players is annoying to me.

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by sammyeli

"World full of obese"?  

Fat people.

"World full of obese"?  

Fat people.

Yea I know, the whole world isnt America. thats what I meant.

Also...how is WATCHING an active sport like Football any less of an "obese" activity than watching a "desk sport" like video games or chess?

I mean, in both cases YOUR ass is on the couch.  So it doesn't really matter what the people on the TV or monitor are doing lol :).