Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how will PvE be buffed to be more fun reason to play the game?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Darkfall has some lame PvE. the combat was the only fun part.

How will DF2 expand the PvE in the game to be fun this time around and reason enough to play the game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

How will DF2 expand the PvE in the game to be fun this time around and reason enough to play the game?

Good question.  Hopefully we will be farming more for resources than for skill gains. 

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

No need for PvE bro, you can now bank sit 100% safely just like WoW and Trammel UO.

$$$

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148

PvE was awfully awkward and most monsters were not worth killing at all. Also there was next to no purpose at all in PvEing together with other people as it did nothing else but decrease efficiency.

Apart from that though, PvE in DF was a big improvment compared to the rest of MMORPG-market as it was actually challenging, intelligent AI(too easily bugged however and god awfully exploited at launch and the months following) and exciting as you always had to be on your guard for other players.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    If they actually make this more than a really big PvP combat arena I would be on board with this game.  DF1, for some reason, forgot that meaningful PvE isn't necessarily going to harm it's beloved PvP and can only bring in more players.  I don't mind being ganked but I do mind no solid PvE.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Hey I would like some of you to share ideas to improve the PvE to be something interesting enough of a reason to play.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    99% certain DF:UW will still be just a big Team Deathmatch game.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

one of the best things about DF was that mob AI some of the best i have seen in any mmo..

Still they did need to improve it as some hard mobs where pointless to kill no decent loot so no need to kill them.

AV have stated they have changed all the loot tables and now harder mobs should drop better loot :)

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

It seems like a lot of you base your opinions from DF launch/year in when you're discussing the pve.

Darkfall already has a very good AI as the game is now, the mobs are challenging compared to most games but sometimes act a little dumb. Some of the dungeons are very creative and have an epic feel to them.

The biggest problem was the loot on high end mobs (not enough) and the lack of content that is for more than a few people maximum.

DF:UW they have mentioned new epic world boss mobs. Redone loot tables making high end mobs more rewarding. Redone and new dungeons. Dungeon traps. Dungeon teirs to unlock leading to a boss mob of some sorts.

These changes sound quiet exciting tbh.

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    99% certain DF:UW will still be just a big Team Deathmatch game.

better than all the terrible theme park mmorpgs

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Zushakon

PvE was awfully awkward and most monsters were not worth killing at all. Also there was next to no purpose at all in PvEing together with other people as it did nothing else but decrease efficiency.

Unfourtunately this is the case with pure skill based MMOs. The problem is that there is no exp to distribute so what do you do when you have several players hitting a mob?

That is why I prefer hybrid skill systems like in AC where you selected skills freely from the pool of skill points you had but you had to feed exp into the skills to raise them. Perfect system imo.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Well the best is just not to think of DF or DFUW as a MMO. It isn't a MMO. Plenty missing to make it a true sandbox MMO. DF is a awesome PvP game, DFUW is being dumbed down for the casuals. The reason I stopped playing DF is because no one wanted to explore the world and PvE. Never had issue with PvP but it was like playing BF with no timers. That is all you do, that's it, notihing else and it is far from being PvP at the level of other games of the past. They have a lot of features catered to lowering the risk for PvPers so that there is no real Risk vs Reward for these Zergs running around. Even though they are the some people that scream risk vs reward all day long. Not to mention DFUW features are only excepted by the community if it allows easier or exploitable PvP.

I want to play it but I think it is to dumbed down with the new features and needs the PvP jacked up to be a real hardcore PvP game.

If you want to run around in a true persistant work they will have it and it would do some gamers on thsi site good to do this since some may have never experienced this before. Maybe they would understand what we mean but a real world. The PvP is more hardcore than any themepark game. They now have roles, why they went this route instead of a skill cap I will never know! Great would to RP in also. There is good and bad but the primary game is just PvP all day long.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Actually Darkfalls' PvE with a really good AI and great combat system was one of the better PvE experiences in my over a decade long MMO experience. Either solo grinding or teaming up with friends for harder mobs, all packed inside a risk vs reward PvP system provided me with over 2 years of good times.

You themepark fags can go play your favourite meaningful PvE into one of gazzillion of other quest-raiding games out there. You got your safe zones and character grind fixed now get  out and run far away if you're still not happy.

Expanding loot over time as in adding new gear and other new items durring Darkfalls' life cycle would have already be a huge improvement so players could get a feeling the game actually advnces. DF1 was stale due to AV stopping work on it and working on DF:UW.

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Well the best is just not to think of DF or DFUW as a MMO. It isn't a MMO. Plenty missing to make it a true sandbox MMO. DF is a awesome PvP game, DFUW is being dumbed down for the casuals. The reason I stopped playing DF is because no one wanted to explore the world and PvE. Never had issue with PvP but it was like playing BF with no timers. That is all you do, that's it, notihing else and it is far from being PvP at the level of other games of the past. They have a lot of features catered to lowering the risk for PvPers so that there is no real Risk vs Reward for these Zergs running around. Even though they are the some people that scream risk vs reward all day long. Not to mention DFUW features are only excepted by the community if it allows easier or exploitable PvP.

I want to play it but I think it is to dumbed down with the new features and needs the PvP jacked up to be a real hardcore PvP game.

If you want to run around in a true persistant work they will have it and it would do some gamers on thsi site good to do this since some may have never experienced this before. Maybe they would understand what we mean but a real world. The PvP is more hardcore than any themepark game. They now have roles, why they went this route instead of a skill cap I will never know! Great would to RP in also. There is good and bad but the primary game is just PvP all day long.

... I would reply to this but I would just get another warning. All in all a very useless post anyway.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Zushakon

Unfourtunately this is the case with pure skill based MMOs. The problem is that there is no exp to distribute so what do you do when you have several players hitting a mob?

That is why I prefer hybrid skill systems like in AC where you selected skills freely from the pool of skill points you had but you had to feed exp into the skills to raise them. Perfect system imo.

Hm? The issue is nothing of the sort, the game merely needs to add more high-end mobs and more loot to them o so it's worth killing them with a group of people.

What would you say is the problem? When you have several people hitting the same mob you get skill gains all the same and the lack of exp is merely a good thing. Also, actually using the skills to train them up gives a much nicer feeling of character progression and immersion from a RP point-of-view IMO.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Resources are supposedly regional, but we will see how well that is implemented.