Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage CBT5 review - (my first two days and about 10 hours in)

Comments

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Korean games fail 100% of the time in the West, every time. They just aren't creative game designers. 
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Korean games fail 100% of the time in the West, every time. They just aren't creative game designers. 

"Western" games are so much more creative it is mind blowing.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

"Western" games are so much more creative it is mind blowing.

..I hope this is sarcasm?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by DeaconX

The game is sounding exactly as I expect it to be.  Awesome, except for combat... because I don't enjoy the common 'wow' style combat.  I was really hoping for something a little more... active and perhaps a bit more twitch based almost like GW2.

Considering all the other great aspects of the game, I could possibly look past the combat and current weak questing (that's something they can easily build upon after the world / game play features are strong enough) but I've played enough MMORPG's to know that since you spend so much time in combat, if it's not the type of combat you enjoy, you're not going to stick with the game long.

ArcheAge is one of my most anticipated MMOs, but I tend to agree.

Unfortunately for me, I rarely enjoy MMORPGs that have traditional combat mechanics. Not being able to dodge incoming attacks, homing projectiles/spells, trading hits back and forth and the fact that gear is more important than actual skill. It's beyond boring. That's the one major slight I have against this game (based on what I've seen thus far) and it might be difficult to look past. We'll see.

• DeriumsDeriums Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by alexanys1982
    westernization from pressure coming from American publishers will remove almost all of what you described and leave in only the most WoW like qualities.

yup, and i'm afraid it will kill the game over here

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

quest hub like in every other game like in WoW or lorto ?

Sounds awful. Hopefully you can kill your time in this game without doing stupid quests every day

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Questing is preety traditional and combat is preety traditional tactic one too.  

If you don't like those two things anymore then well it would be better to not start instead of playing and bitching about it.

There is no NDA so everyone can see how it looks.  Countless videos on youtube.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Wow this reviews is disheartening as I didnt get any indication of the sandbox elements, what are they? And the game has quest hubs, seriously?

And same old TAB targetted combat as in WoW and Rift?

I think I will take down my hype for this game from 9 to 6. This is hugely dissapointing.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

combat 8 out of 10 for a normal wow fighting scheme?

yea, well, you love what you love i guess, and it's normal that people try to sell what they love to others.... (uh look it's so gooooood!)

so, game is becomming just like we (the non fanbois) said it would be. thx for the headsup.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I don't think there ever has been a NDA for ArcheAge. There are countless videos on YouTube and all of them have fantastic feedback - even the videos that don't have any action. No NDA tells me that the developers know they have something good and unique to offer.

It's sort of funny. It makes you wonder why games like SWTOR are so tight on the NDA - even when it's right next to release time.

When ArcheAge comes to the states, it will redefine much of the MMORPG genre. Moreover, it will push EQNext further into trying to become the largest and deepest virtual world.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Yamota

Wow this reviews is disheartening as I didnt get any indication of the sandbox elements, what are they? And the game has quest hubs, seriously?

I think I will take down my hype for this game from 9 to 6. This is hugely dissapointing.

The OP just didn't talk about the sandbox elements. Go and search for ArcheAge world videos. They are gigantic. Players can plant crops, trees, houses in the world, and hire guards to defend them.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by pwain

Sounds awful. Hopefully you can kill your time in this game without doing stupid quests every day

ArcheAge has quest hubs but it also has RIFT type events as well. Contrary to belief some of us have no problem with quest hubs. GW2 hasn't swayed everyone that DE are the future infact DEs are as boring as hell and more railroad than quest hubs IMO.

• IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

To those, who crying about "tab-targeting" combat and quest hubs.

MMOs are NOT about combat. There was a lot of "action-oriented" MMOs in couple years, and they all failed miserably. Remember Tera? It has action combat, but is still boring wow-clone. The main thing about MMO is social aspect, and here Archeage shines.

About quests - what do you prefer more - just grinding mobs? Or what, personal voice-acted storyline? MMOs aren't about that too,  all of stories should get from player interaction, and Archeage quests are encouraing this. I know it. because I played during CBT5, and quests was actually pretty fun, with lot of exploration and enviroment interaction with other players.

Well tab combat and quests were known for like 2 years now.

Youtube is plastered with videos featuring that.  There is no NDA for AA.  I am surprised you were hyped at "9" for a game and did not know that.  It does not require almost any time or effort to go to youtube and browse through AA gameplay videos made by many beta users.  Of course this is beta and some things will change (like better animations) and there will be new things also, but fundamental basic systems like combat and questing does not change so late in production.

Sandbox elements: housing, ships, castles for teritory control on 3rd continent, game being relatively big on crafting, crops, animal herding, etc

Still you have to remember this is sandobox+themepark mix.  So all those will be sandbox lite.  I think something like more western modern Lineage II with elements from UO and WoW.

This is not your full hardcore AAA sandbox some folks want. 

Besides it has considerable smaller budget than AAA games like Swtor, GW2, etc

Originally posted by Rimmersman

ArcheAge has quest hubs but it also has RIFT type events as well. Contrary to belief some of us have no problem with quest hubs. GW2 hasn't swayed everyone that DE are the future infact DEs are as boring as hell and more railroad than quest hubs IMO.

And those are the only two options? Dynamic Events/Quests and standard static quests?

What about just living in the world, hunting, adventuring, creating houses, forts, fighting over something valuable against other players or mobs? 

You makit is sound like questing or developer created content is the only way to play an MMO. Which is not odd with the ThemePark cancer that the genre is suffering from I guess. But there are other ways, it just seems like tha majority of the current generation of MMO devs dont know how to create such an MMO world properly.

However it does seem like ArcheAge is not the sandbox game I am looking for.

And those are the only two options? Dynamic Events/Quests and standard static quests?

What about just living in the world, hunting, adventuring, creating houses, forts, fighting over something valuable against other players or mobs? 

You makit is sound like questing or developer created content is the only way to play an MMO. Which is not odd with the ThemePark cancer that the genre is suffering from I guess. But there are other ways, it just seems like tha majority of the current generation of MMO devs dont know how to create such an MMO world properly.

WTH are you going on about lol, do you know anything about this game? Considering how long AA has been number one on the hype list on this site and all the vids and information available are you really being serious lmfao.

WTF are you going on about lol, do you know anything about this game?

I am talking aboout sandbox features which I thought would be in this game. However it seems like that is limited to some housing and similar rather than a non linear world which you can roam and adventure in.

I am talking aboout sandbox features which I thought would be in this game. However it seems like that is limited to some housing and similar rather than a non linear world which you can roam and adventure in.

Perhaps you need to actually do some homework on this games features lol, i aint going to do it for you.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

AA does have every thing you have listed in yellow.

Originally posted by Xzen

Ok then it was not highlighted in this review. Because I will be damned if I have to go through another quest hub leveling MMO. I just want to roam an open non-linear world and advance like that rather than go kill 10 rats and then 10 beetles and then 10 orcs and then 10 trolls and so on ad naeusem.

Ok then it was not highlighted in this review. Because I will be damned if I have to go through another quest hub leveling MMO. I just want to roam an open non-linear world and advance like that rather than go kill 10 rats and then 10 beetles and then 10 orcs and then 10 trolls and so on ad naeusem.

How long have you been on this site lol, you must see the hype meter everytime you come to the site. That's one of the problem with some gamers today, they don't do any research but like to jump in with all sorts of nonsence.

Please, in the future do your research instead of assuming devs team are not as smart as you.

Don't know why i'm doing this but it seems you need the help.

http://archeagesource.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuTIHD3Dnow

How long have you been on this site lol, you must see the hype meter everytime you come to the site. That's one of the problem with some gamers today, they don't do any research but like to jump in with all sorts of nonsence.

Please, in the future do your research instead of assuming devs team are not as smart as you.

I dont know what your problem is but I am commenting on this thread and specifically about this review. I am not here to show of how much or little I know of this game.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Does anyone know if this will eventually make its way to the US?

I dont know what your problem is but I am commenting on this thread and specifically about this review. I am not here to show of how much or little I know of this game.

Let me remind you how you came at me for telling you that AA has normal quests and Rift like events.

"You makit is sound like questing or developer created content is the only way to play an MMO. Which is not odd with the ThemePark cancer that the genre is suffering from I guess. But there are other ways, it just seems like tha majority of the current generation of MMO devs dont know how to create such an MMO world properly"

You jumped to conclusions before actually finding out more about the game. In the future perhaps a some manners would help before you jump down someones throat.

There are levels and quests are afaik fastest way by far to get xp so if you're really cannot stand this then you might look elsewhere.  Game afaik won't force you to do quests but you get an idea.

It is not 100% sandbox.  It is hybrid.