Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online (video)

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Instanced world. Instanced PvP. Instanced Normal and Heroic mode dungeons/raids. Hm.

Yea, thank god Skyrim is so immersive and doesn't have loading screens everywhere. Seriously...

Artistic design and animations look very similar to SWTOR, which is a matter of personal preference. Character animations are a bit stiff, but so were SWTOR's and it turned out very good when game went live (too bad we can't say that for it's other features).

Video shows massive PVP battle, which means we probably won't have Ilum disaster all over again.

What really concers me is the following: what should be decisive factor which differentiates this game from GW2? Raids? Blocking and stamina? Will it be enough to warrant possible sub fee comparing to GW2 B2P model? We shall see.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Kaerigan
    I was led to believe that the game would have combat similar to Skyrim's. I don't see it. If you try to fight in Skyrim like they fight in the video, you're gonna die.

Well its more like oblivion than skyrim, as in left mouse button to swing hold down to do a powerfull swing, right click to block, hold right click and press left click to interupt

• ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Kaerigan
    I was led to believe that the game would have combat similar to Skyrim's. I don't see it. If you try to fight in Skyrim like they fight in the video, you're gonna die.

Well its more like oblivion than skyrim, as in left mouse button to swing hold down to do a powerfull swing, right click to block, hold right click and press left click to interupt

He means the lack of maneuvering.  The combat looks really static.  Needs quite a bit of improvement IMO.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Looking forward to play it for few months. So far, I don't see anything that would keep me playing it for much longer. However, it looks like a good themepark MMO with solid production values.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

OK having watched the video (now im home from work)

pros:

1 I like the people making it, the likes of Matt Firor and Paul Sage are proven game designers and they aren't your typical "suit" style project leads

2 The combat system sounds like a cross between oblivion and tradional mmo combat.  Which makes sense as you cant pause a mmo to change your spells around, sorry but it needs a hotbar somewhere.

3 graphics look good.  The animations are a little stiff, but thats normal for games during development as anyone whos worked in the industry or been in early betas will know.  The environments really nail the look, maybe not quite with skyrim, but theres a good look of morrowind with the HD mod (i mean this as a complement).  The faces on the character models look better than in skyrim, check out the warrior guy when he looks over his shoulder halfway through, he doesnt have the shop dummy covered in mud look  that most white skinned characters have from oblivion and skyrim (I always play redguard so less of a problem for me)

4 The classes dont sound that hardwired - "you can be a mage and use a 2 handed sword" , " you can stealth around healing people"

5 The pvp looked impressive, particularly the amount of players (yeah ive seen this scale before but mostly in old games like planetside and daoc) and the destructable environment, crumbling keep walls etc..

6 you can be a werewolf

7 you can be a vampire (listen in just after 5 minutes)

cons:

1 this mega server business, sorry but it sounds like a soloution to a problem that doesnt really exist.  Also it means cant have alternative rulesets - I would love love love a Mordred ruleset with FFA pvp, where we can go anywhere and make player factions, I enjoyed core servers too on daoc, but i liked mordred a bit better.  I am sure there are PVE orientated tes players who want to go anywhere and would love a coop server ruleset too, allowing them to guild up with players from other factions, not worry about pvp at all and explore the whole world / play all the dungeons.  I understand the core server thing worked great in daoc for building realm pride, something thats not really been seen in any other faction based mmo except maybe planetside, but this game is different you can AVA from level 10, and I highly doubt it will have anything like the leveling grind of daoc to form those bonds (not that i want that kind of grind in a modern mmo)

2 it has instanced raids.  I have never played a game that had instanced raids where the rest of the game didnt suffer.  Every game i have played with instanced raids had bad pvp and meaningless crafting.  Now the devs of this game come from games with good pvp and crafting (daoc and uo mainly), so maybe there is hope.  But if they pull this off it will be the first game to feature raids and also have good pvp & good crafting (i would have said outdoor pve too, though rift manages to pull that off)

edit:

3 this phasing i dont like either - read the top of page 3 in this article http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/243508/page/3 - ughhhr swtor!!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Instanced world. Instanced PvP. Instanced Normal and Heroic mode dungeons/raids. Hm.

Yea, thank god Skyrim is so immersive and doesn't have loading screens everywhere. Seriously...

Loading screens aren't the problem. Instancing is. You people need to learn the difference between zoning and instancing.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Loading screens aren't the problem. Instancing is. You people need to learn the difference between zoning and instancing.

THIS^^^^

zoned i dont mind, im sick of bloody instancing and phasing though

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Too early to tell. I like the graphics more than vanilla Skyrim, however. Not as much as a Realistic Lighting+texture overhaul mods however. But have you guys actually played vanilla Skyrim? Compared to a lighting mod of your choice+texture overhauls...it looks horrid. I could never play vanilla Skyrim. It looks too bad and has that horrible green tint left over from Fallout 3, which I removed that green tint there as well.

But again, I don't judge games on graphics...just look at GW2, their manifesto videos and all their hyped videos, and while I love GW2...it isn't anything like they made it out to be. I thought events would have a permanent (or at very least, long term affect) on the world. Instead people grind each event as they know exactly when and where they are happening. I still play GW2 however, as I think it is a huge improvement from other themepark MMOs. And I don't like open pvp sandbox MMOs, which is every single sandbox MMO except Ryzom (dead) and Ultima Online/Asheron's Call/Anarchy Online (incredibly old)

And SWTOR did the same...very hyped up videos...and we all saw where that went.

Having said that...if the world is massive, and offers a lot of exploration...and the world interacts with you after doing quests or helping towns...that would be epic. I like all that in any game, MMO or otherwise. Not a big fan of very linear games. If I can watch a series of Youtube videos, and know the exact story of a game (like Mass Effect/Dragon Age), I just saved a ton of money, since I watched it free on Youtube.

But I don't see the game going that path, kind of hard for a MMO to do that (except I watched all the stories for SWTOR on Youtube...didn't even need to play the game)...so never know.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The basics seem decent enough.

Need more details about the customization, combat and PvP.

Trinity is there, which is a good thing.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

The basics seem decent enough.

Need more details about the customization, combat and PvP.

Trinity is there, which is a good thing.

what intrigues me is you can be "stealth and a healer"  a "mage that weilds 2-hand weapon"  the customizatin seems there.  but,  we shall see.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Can you show me where in the video did they prove it's not a WoW clone?

'Cuz I didn't see it.

Combat is turn based, maybe closer to GW2 than WoW but far from the combat of Skyrim, for example.

Graphics are worse than Skyrim (how did they manage that with no console restrictions?), which only tells me they try to cater to the WoW crowd with their dated computers.

All we need are the exclamation marks (I trust they will add their own version, which is the diamonds) over the quest givers' heads.

There is zero sand in this box and the only saving grace MIGHT be the three faction open world PvP, but only if the the map is big enough and can hold enough people.

from the reviews i have seen people are reporting that the graphics are actually better than skyrim.

also, comparing a single player game's graphic capabilities to an mmo that is designed to have 200 players on the screen at the same time is kind of silly.

I trust my own eyes and looking at the video I can say 100% that the graphics are worse.

And no, it's not silly. Skyrim was created with the 6 year old consoles in mind and they had to build the game with those limitations. TESO as far as I know will be a PC game and they should not have any limitations whatsoever, unless they want everyone and their dog to be able to play it with their netbooks. EVEN THEN, they should allow us with higher end PCs to crank up the graphics so we wouldn't be looking at a game that looks it was ported from 2006.

PC gaming is all about choice. We should have a choice to set everything to max and see our GPUs melt with the 200 characters on screen. Limiting the graphics is just bad programming.

Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Where do they say that the combat is turn based? I didn't see that anywhere before the guy posted earlier in this thread.

Look at the video. The characters are just standing still and trading blows with shiny effects flying out. This can only be due to the fact that the combat is your standard global cooldown dumbed down turn based combat.

Or maybe those videos were before they started turning the combat into more action oriented. I don't know. But according to what I see now, I have no reason to believe the combat is anything like Skyrim, where manuevering and timing your blows to the fraction of a second is the difference between life and death.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Where do they say that the combat is turn based? I didn't see that anywhere before the guy posted earlier in this thread.

Look at the video. The characters are just standing still and trading blows with shiny effects flying out. This can only be due to the fact that the combat is your standard global cooldown dumbed down turn based combat.

Or maybe those videos were before they started turning the combat into more action oriented. I don't know. But according to what I see now, I have no reason to believe the combat is anything like Skyrim, where manuevering and timing your blows to the fraction of a second is the difference between life and death.

so youre just gonna go ahead and discount all the hands-on preiews from last month.  ok.  have fun in RaiderZ.

Originally posted by muffins89

so youre just gonna go ahead and discount all the hands-on preiews from last month.  ok.  have fun in RaiderZ.

I told you. I trust what I can see. Of course I'm going to follow this game and see how it turns out. So far, I'm not very impressed.

They should have just made Skyrim co-op and everyone would be happier than with this themepark MMO bullsh*t that will be dying in 6 months after release and forgotten in 12.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I notice that too.  GW2 had better interactive combat animations, and SWTOR had choreographed combat (graphically shows dodges/ parries / ducks / successful hits, etc).

In Elder Scrolls Online, players and mobs just stand there, don't budge, and just exchange hits.  Looks really bad.  It's like WoW, but with more polygons. hmm...a step backwards I'd say.  Even TSW was better, which is really an insult.

But someone will argue that it's just an early version and, yeah it is.  It needs to improve, though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

They better not fuck this up.

I'll start a riot if this turns out to be a shit fest like everything else.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

It looks like generic MMO combat, that is a bit different from "turn based" like you suggest. 

Any MMO with generic combat has videos where you see guys standing still trading blows.

I have never said the combat in this game is anything other than standard MMO fayre, so there is no reason to take issue with my posting.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Screw this up Bethesda and Zenimax and no amount of clapping will bring you back from where we will send you...

• UnderbridgeUnderbridge Member Posts: 16
    I am actually kind of excited about this. They seem to be doing it justice. I hope they don't screw it up. I also hope it ends up with more of a world feel than GW2 or any of the WoW clones. I know it isn't a sandbox, but hopefully they can still capture a world feel to it.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

It looks like generic MMO combat, that is a bit different from "turn based" like you suggest. 

Any MMO with generic combat has videos where you see guys standing still trading blows.

I have never said the combat in this game is anything other than standard MMO fayre, so there is no reason to take issue with my posting.

Trading blows is very much possible in GW2 too, especially if you're playing as Warrior or Guardian. Could we call GW2 combat generic and standard for MMO's?

I see your concerns, however Zenimax announced block and also dodge IIRC as part of combat system. I'm not sure that trading blows would be normal for ligher armor classes, because paired with block and dodge would pretty much trivialize the combat.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by muffins89

You mean the hands-on previews, as well as the developers saying so themselves, making it clear that combat is your standard cooldown, hotbar based combat. 

Nothing wrong with that, excpet the part where people keeping saying that it doesn't work that way.  Combat will work exactly like GW2, which is really just the same as WoW with an invisible crosshair.  In ESO's case it'll be the same typical MMO combat, but with a visible crosshair. 

Some of you keep trying to hype things for more then they are, because the developers use catchy wording and videos that don't actually show you what's really happening.  It's the exact same thing that's happened with every other MMO that's launched sinse WoW, and we all know how that's worked out. 

Dungeons are also instanced, with SOME public ones.

There's NO OPEN WORLD PVP, it's all confined to a single zone.

If you want to explore the zones of all of the factions, you have PLAY THAT FACTION.  Some of you have a strange idea of "exploration".  Not really sure how it's an "open" and fully "explorable" world if I have to make multiple characters to explore the entirely segregated world they've made. 

Qutes driven, single player (as in they said that you do the storyline qutes ALONE) storyline with phasing that will have the world look one way for you and a different way for your friend who didn't do the same quest. 

You guys are right, that sounds nothing like WoW or any other themepark MMO that's released in the last half decade or more.  They're deffinately not rehasing the same tired content that's been done in every other mediocre MMO relased in that time period.  Because it's obvious what's worked for every other studio will work for Zeni online, I mean look at how many millions of subs every other MMO sinse WoW has managed to retain.

Oh wait...

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

'Cuz I didn't see it.

Combat is turn based, maybe closer to GW2 than WoW but far from the combat of Skyrim, for example.

Graphics are worse than Skyrim (how did they manage that with no console restrictions?), which only tells me they try to cater to the WoW crowd with their dated computers.

All we need are the exclamation marks (I trust they will add their own version, which is the diamonds) over the quest givers' heads.

There is zero sand in this box and the only saving grace MIGHT be the three faction open world PvP, but only if the the map is big enough and can hold enough people.

Yes because in Skyrim we have 200 people massive PvP battles, that's why it's odd why cant they have 200 people PvP matches with the same graphics in TESO, Skyrim has already proven it's doable.

Also the combat I agree with, why does TESO have the age old reticule targeting system where you need to actually aim the abilities like in WoW, why cant they use something unique and fresh to the mmorpg world, like tab-targeting, is beyond me.

Sillyness and sarcasm aside, exclamation marks or not, you take quests in Skyrim too, collect 2 mammoth tusks, kill bandits, find an item of power etc etc you even have map markings where to go, so if there will be an option in TESO to turn those marks off to pick quests sort of blindly I guess there's not difference with the questing in TESO vs Skyrim, right?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Nothing wrong with that, excpet the part where people keeping saying that it doesn't work that way.  Combat will work exactly like GW2, which is really just the same as WoW with an invisible crosshair.  In ESO's case it'll be the same typical MMO combat, but with a visible crosshair. 

I dont need to have my crosshair over my target in WoW or in GW2, if I need to do that in TESO, the combat is not the same. Maybe it technically isnt that far off, but it definately is not the same, main difference is that with basica tab-target combat you can watch telly and jack off with your other hand while playing, if I need to aim that's kinda difficult, so there's a difference.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I went through this excitement and folks saying it was going to be an EQ clone, when Dark Age of Camelot released (perfect release, by the way, little to no bugs though you COULD fall through parts of the world to get to the capital cities lol).  A lot of folks were like, what's RvR and why have three factions - and so forth.

Not gonna lose my marriage this time round!  Again, an mmorpg that raises the bar, and says it's okay for us to fight enemies that are different than us.  The 5 class/race 2 faction or F2P model is just tired.

Long live ESO!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

'Cuz I didn't see it.

1.  Enemies that you fight are not your race or carbon copy class - that's sadly, a huge difference these days.

2.  As you said, the three faction pvp might be a saving grace - and should be, since developers still think that three factions just means red team v blue team v green team.  Today's companies don't seem as a hole, to be creative enough for more than simple concepts - ESO is the creative bar raiser that we need in the industry.

Anyway, WoW does have some great ideas - and I humbly believe if you merge Dark Age of Camelot's best ideas (rvr, pvp meaning something, cultures being unique)...and sprinkle in WoW's dungeon finder (I spend hours trying to group in DAoC and it sucks...), some truly fun pve for the EQ folks - and keep the graphics from straining the lag component (sorry folks, graphics have to be soft for mass pvp)...then we will have a good game.

Cloning certain aspects is fine in many respects if the emulation of the good of something done before is the intent.  Clones are terrible if they just regurgitate garbage.  We have too much junk atm.