So I used to play The Sims Online and absolutely loved it. It was my first MMO, at the ripe age of 11. To this day (I am 20 now) I STILL want it back. There were people working on a revival version but it got shut down after EA decided to come out with the sims social(which is disgustingly horrible) and threatened them with a lawsuit.
There are no MMO's that exist like this today, other than something like Second Life which tends to be TOO immersive, complicated, and loads slowly/bugs out for many people. The amount of possibilities, profit, fun, and general success are endless if it could be pulled off right, not to mention how many people it will make happy! What I am thinking of is something original - although it will no doubt be influenced by certain aspects of The Sims, it will be its own game. I need your help, opinions, support, anything. If I can find enough interest in pushing this project forward, I will begin a Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds to hire a worthwhile team(this step will probably take awhile, as I do not want to start a campaign prematurely. I want a solid foundation of what the game should be). Consider this topic a brainstorming session. Any and all ideas you have about this game will be appreciated. Here are some rough ideas off the top of my head:
- 1) Freedom, as much of it as possible. In a real life sort of way. Freedom to build relationships, develop skills, gamble, craft, collect, gather, auction, explore, party, build. Which brings me to my next point (feel free to expand to this list, I just threw this **** out off the top of my head)
- 2) Building. What I'm thinking is very similar to The Sims system of building. Virtually total freedom to build whatever you want within a set of given materials. A very, very large set of materials with new stuff added constantly in updates...we don't want things to get stale in this department, as this is where most of a person's creativity will go to. Total freedom in this aspect like in Minecraft or Second Life could easily cause problems/griefing/abuse.
- 3) Socializing. Of course one of the largest aspects of a game of this nature. You want people to be able to connect and socialize effortlessly. Possibly even some sort of social media integration to give it a more personal feel (completely optional of course). Friend/Enemy List, Chat, PMs, etc. etc. I want to emphasize COMMUNITY here.
- 4)Graphics. Another Sims Influence here. It should look realistic yet slightly cartoonish as well. We want to be somewhere in the middle of these two. Maybe even say **** it and go cel shaded?
- 5)Sound FX, Music. I can handle this almost exclusively, and whatever audio I am not able to engineer, I know people who can already. I usually produce electronic music so there may be a slight influence of that in the music. Im thinking relaxing and/or happy classical/elevator type music with electronic undertones.
- 6)Gameplay. I want something like the sims have set up (select an action/multiple actions for your person to complete) but I dont want this to be a ripoff of what they did, or honestly anything relatable to it. Maybe simply the very core foundations of the sims gameplay. I would really like to hear what other people have to say about this section as it is one of the most important aspects of a simulation type game, and can be approached in very unique ways.
I still have TONS and TONS of great ideas running around in my head(believe me, what I have written above is a VERY
rough outline) however I have other things I need to finish. I will be watching this topic extremely closely and will keep in touch with everyone interested. I may be contacted on facebook/twitter, email, and if this actually begins to pull enough support I will open its own personal forums so that a larger think tank session can occur. Know that I will put all my heart into this and I do not plan to give it up unless it just doesn't seem like people are interested.PLEASE REPLY WITH COMMENTS, IDEAS, CRITICISM, QUESTIONS! This will be a community built game, come be a part of making something great!
Feel free to contact me in any fashion.