Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we really falling for this again?!

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

A new flashy trailer comes out and everyone is ready to give their bodies to Zenimax as tribute to their greatness (in Marketing!)

Seriously, does anyone remember SWTOR still? I know weve tried to put the image in the back of our head and really repress all those terrible memories, but lets not forget ESO is still an MMO from a AAA company. The new trailer really does make the game look great, at least in the over-exagerated 500 person armies battling and the whole "Play how you want style", which is very well displayed in a video depicting every Elder Scrolls character ever donning the EXACT Helmet from skyrim in every scene. Seriously isnt this set BEFORE skyrim? Was the Dovakiin the first Hipster who brought that style back a few centuries later?

Anyway let me just refresh your memory on how "Good" marketing can make even a crap-piece of a game look amazing. 

Exhibit A

Also am I the only one who finds it hypocritical that ESO fans like to say us Core Elder Scrolls fans are too dismissive of ESO, yet one video comes out showing the game systems in an over-edited and cinematic fashion (Obviously to increase hype) and everyone goes crazy apeshit over it???

Green lantern was a big pile of poo, therefor Avengers and DKR will be too...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Agree with davis

Daoc had zero instancing whatsoever, not even instanced dungeons or mini game instancd
    This Is heavily instanced, so its not really a daoc 2. The persistent world was a bug factor in daoc as it us in tes single player. If they had made a daoc 2 in a tes skin it would have been closer to tes single player in spirit. Unfortunately it sounds like they've been good by the money men "add more wow"
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I knew what I was getting with TOR, I knew what I was getting with GW2 and I'll make sure to know what I'm getting with TES:O before buying as well. With both TOR and GW2 it was exactly what I expected it to be.. Well, to be honest, I didn't expect TOR to die down as fast or GW2 to be as fun in the beginning as it was, but other than that, I haven't been surprised yet.

I'm not really worried about TES:O. Only MMO buy I actually regret is Champions Online.

Jive there's no instancing and phasing in tes single player.

In fact how the hell can you have instancing in a single player game, who ate the other instances running for?
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Nobody ever criticizes me for buying Single Player games...

Hi

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Jive there's no instancing and phasing in tes single player.

In fact how the hell can you have instancing in a single player game, who ate the other instances running for?

Tip: read up on what instancing really is.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Loke666

My interest for ESO died when the lead designer said that all good ideas for MMOs had already been done a while back.

If I am hyped for future MMOs it is for Class 4 and World of darkness online.

Then again, I might try the beta with no real expectations, sometimes a game can surprise me.

This is a typical attitude to most people who just want to have a look at a title rather than supporting the develpoment. Trying the game and contributing are two different things and IMO you should only be allowed in Beta if you can prove you are able to contribute. People just joining beta are only wanting to play the early game and do not care about the outcome of the title.

To many people expect the moon on a stick and are just checky and this is another reason that developer are making people pay to beta test because people have just abused a title in development.

Asbo

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    I'm probably going to end up buying it anyway so i don't really care if tis good or not,that i will see.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    So many people follow the herd when it comes to mmo's, why don't people research a game a little before they buy it. I myself have not been burned or felt scammed by any game that I have brawt.
    Yes tip

Learn the difference between instancing and zoning
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by Karteli

Who exactly do you mean by "you people?" :p

After SWTOR and GW2 failed I am far less persuaded by anyone, even 1 person, saying this game is fun!, without me seeing it firsthand.

SWTOR tought me never again to preorder games.

GW2 tought me never to buy any game linked to a casual fanbase.

Another I could never have forseen,

WoW Cataclysm tought me never to buy Activision-Blizzard products.

TESO tought me __________ . This blank reserved for the final relase :P

Seems like you must get burned first before you learn a lesson. How about being more insightful so you could avoid all these heartbreaks?

Thats why it pisses me off in this community when fanboys attack an insult anyone making any negative remarks against "their" game. As a consumer and a gamer i want to know the good and bad. I want to hear everyones opinion and thoughts. Just not the good, or claimed to be good.

Because the swtor and gw2 fans that bashed everyone and everything are idiots. And i never listen to hype, just plain facts and videos if i can not get into the beta.

Our community fails each other everytime something like this happens. nd beta testers suck so bad now, it horrible how so many can say the game is so great and it falls flat on its butt 2 months out the door due to issues, bugs, problems, etc....

When the majority of people use the beta test as a free trial instead of actually TESTING the game, what can you expect?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

When game companies use beta tests as marketing exercises and not for actual testing what do you expect?
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I personally assume every mmo is just garbage till I play it, works out fine for me (read my sig), Sadly most of them actually end up being garbage so I am proven right. ESO sounds decent but I bet it'll not live up to the hype at all and people will be disapointed, as with pretty mch every mmo that has never lived up to what the devs promised.

Some rules I like to follow.

1) Never believe a review on any sites like ign, game spot etc because they can be bribed to review it higher than it deserves (swtor and most other big name mmo's have gotten this). Bascally its like "You review our game highly or no ad revenue from us for you"

2) When looking at reviews by players, learn to determine of the reviewer is a fanboy (which means they will score it higher than it deserves) or if its someone who is unbiased, you can usually tell the diffrence pretty easly.

3) I'll be honest here most mmorpg players these days are morons who are bascally like cattle being lead to the slaughterhouse, they'll believe anything that is said about the game, and in general they are easly manipulated fools.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Anyway let me just refresh your memory on how "Good" marketing can make even a crap-piece of a game look amazing. 

Exhibit A

Also am I the only one who finds it hypocritical that ESO fans like to say us Core Elder Scrolls fans are too dismissive of ESO, yet one video comes out showing the game systems in an over-edited and cinematic fashion (Obviously to increase hype) and everyone goes crazy apeshit over it???

Actually, everything that was presented in SWTOR  video was in the game itself, and was working quite fine. The things that sucked were seen later during gameplay (loading screens, tunneled zones, bad engine etc.)

Let's wait till beta to see how the game turns out. Meanwhile, we can enjoy their marketing efforts and watch the videos and screenshots, which you have to admit, have entertainment value (as did SWTOR's and GW2's).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am not excited for TESO even a little bit. This may change as I see more, but right now... couldn't care less.

BUT... I will say, judging one company/ game on past experience with another company/ game is ridiculous.

By all means judge each dev on it's *own* track record, but to say TESO is somehow fooling people because SWTOR did is... well, you get it.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

A new flashy trailer comes out and everyone is ready to give their bodies to Zenimax as tribute to their greatness (in Marketing!)

Seriously, does anyone remember SWTOR still? I know weve tried to put the image in the back of our head and really repress all those terrible memories, but lets not forget ESO is still an MMO from a AAA company. The new trailer really does make the game look great, at least in the over-exagerated 500 person armies battling and the whole "Play how you want style", which is very well displayed in a video depicting every Elder Scrolls character ever donning the EXACT Helmet from skyrim in every scene. Seriously isnt this set BEFORE skyrim? Was the Dovakiin the first Hipster who brought that style back a few centuries later?

Exhibit A

Dude, this is MMORPG.com. A site where people write about the newest games and their hopes for them. And here you are getting angry because there is HYPE and some people have fallen for it already? I guess its alright to call them stupid but why oh why disilluson them?

It's like telling a little kid that Santa Claus isn't REAL.

You evil scrooge. :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I was feeling good until I saw the video.

"You wont have to fight for resources."

and my favoritte around 6:25 of the video

"Once you save a city the city stays change and the people remember you."

Where have we heard this before? Concerning.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm not hyped for it. Gunna try it though. The fact it's ES has nothing to do with it. Most of us try every well produced fantasy MMO and we will continue to do so. So will people like the OP. You can moan all you want but you still have your wallet ready.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's important features.  

When I think MMO I think to myself, "Will NPC's really remember me?  Will they care, for all that I'm doing for them?"    I'm glad game developers are finally realizing that, at the core of MMO's, it's NPC's that really matter.   No one wants to deal with other players, have to guild with them, or compete for resources with them, or even socialize with them.   As long as NPC's cheer me on I'll be there!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Exhibit A

hater ^

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Exhibit A

I also want to point out that everything in that trailer you've linked is 100% true to SWTOR. You've probably done everything in that trailer yourself! So the real question is.. why do you keep getting caught up in the hype train by exaggerating the things you are seeing?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's important features.  

When I think MMO I think to myself, "Will NPC's really remember me?  Will they care, for all that I'm doing for them?"    I'm glad game developers are finally realizing that, at the core of MMO's, it's NPC's that really matter.   No one wants to deal with other players, have to guild with them, or compete for resources with them, or even socialize with them.   As long as NPC's cheer me on I'll be there!

lol /sarcasm? It's early, not done with my coffee yet.  The exact same thing almost word for word was said in the GW2 manifesto. 

So what have we learned from this? This means that there will an instanced story area that changes with your personal story.. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    I never get hyped but i do always get interested enough to give a game atleast a try. And TESO has caught my interest.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by timtrack

"Bwuaaaaa, i played SWTOR 100 hours/week and i was bored after 2 months"

"Bwuaaaaa, i'm a spoiled little brat with no perspective"

"Bwuaaaaa, i've played MMO's for 20 years and every new game sucks, it's not because i'm burned out"

"Bwuaaaaa, every game is a failure unless they reinvent the wheel"

"Bwuaaaaa, why r u guyz fallin for for hypez"

Are you people really still doing this?

That pretty much sums it up.

And seriously, why does everyone have to call a game a failure if they hate it?  I do not like the Secret World.  The combat system is too complicated for me, but it is still a great game; it's just that the game is not for me.

SWTOR, GW2, etc. are NOT failures, and I doubt that ESO will be a failure either.  That does not  necessarily mean that it will be a good game, but we will have to wait to see how good it is.

I hereby propose a change to how peopel talk on these forums.  I propose a "banning" of the practice of calling an MMO a failure, and replace it with the practice of saying that an MMO is not for the person making the post.  Seriously, "failure" when it comes to games is subjective and too polarizing a term; simply stating a game is not for the person who thinks the game is not for them is much simpler and will result in fewer arguments.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?