Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could Star Wars Galaxies 2 be possible now??

Comments

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Sandbox
    Originally posted by stragen001

No.

How many times.

No.

SWG was dying a long time before SWTOR released due to the way it was handled by SOE. It was like an old sick fleabitten mangy horse. The kindest thing to do was to shoot it.

There is no market for a game like SWG anymore(despite what you may see on this site, but MMORPG.com is like the last bastion for SWG fanboys) - that is what prompted the NGE, excluding the few hardcore fanboys that all descended on MMORPG.com, no one wanted to play the game how it was. The masses did not want to play Pre-CU and Pre-NGE SWG, thats why those "upgrades" were introduced in the first place. 

Unfortunately SOE screwed up the implementation of those changes so incredibly badly that it is still considered the most epic fail in the history of MMOs to this day

The masses that did not want to play Pre-CU were the reason for the survival of the NGE and later brought us the re-made NGE, aka SWTOR. How well did that turn out?

Selective memory much?  Have you conveniently forgotten the masses leaving the game well before the combat upgrade, let alone the new game experience?  You rose tinted hind sighters are both amusing and annoying.

How are your replay related to what I wrote above? And where are the "rose tinted hind sight", I never said people were not leaving. I think you assume to much.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

swg demise had nothing to do with world size. 

it had to do with licencing issues.

that and hmm mass exodous after the nge and believing that wow-clones were the future of mmos.  

there are many people out there very willing to play a good game (ie pre-cu) regardless of the quality of graphics. any modern engines can cope with lesser grapics quality if it means more open space. 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The mass exodus had begun long before the CU and NGE its jsut easy for us to blame those specific milestones.

SWG peaked in Feb 04 at around 450k subs and then went into continuus decline,   I wouldnt say the CU had much effect for every person that left 1 returned NGE did have a considerable effect with a lot leaving but not as bad as the pre cu fanbois would have you beleive.

Around a year after the NGE happened SWG was once again a solid game and far more balanced than it had been in the 32 professions of buffed up gods with better more challenging content.   I loved both pre-cu and NGE (12 month post launch) and would love to see either of them back but done by SOE not by players I wont play that which must not be named for the reason its not in a companies hands.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by thamighty213

The mass exodus had begun long before the CU and NGE its jsut easy for us to blame those specific milestones.

SWG peaked in Feb 04 at around 450k subs and then went into continuus decline,   I wouldnt say the CU had much effect for every person that left 1 returned NGE did have a considerable effect with a lot leaving but not as bad as the pre cu fanbois would have you beleive.

Around a year after the NGE happened SWG was once again a solid game and far more balanced than it had been in the 32 professions of buffed up gods with better more challenging content.   I loved both pre-cu and NGE (12 month post launch) and would love to see either of them back but done by SOE not by players I wont play that which must not be named for the reason its not in a companies hands.

A number of AAA MMO's were released in 2004, and of course a number of SWG players went to check them out. But when the CU turned SWG into "EQ in Space!" there was less incentive to return to a game that was still buggy and now suffered from "industry standard" mechanics.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    At this point I will settle for something that is Star Wars and is a real MMORPG. That's just sad but I'm beat down.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by grimal

The chances of you building a working time machine and going back to 2005 are higher than SWG ever coming back.....in any form.

You are incorrect or time machines are very likely, although I think it is the former.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

As more and more sandboxes are released and grows, there could be a possibility.

But archeage and the repopulation should catter to my SWG needs.

And for the record SWG was one of the best mmorpgs ever made, even after the NGE. So many complained about the NGE then run out and play every mmo that was exactly like the NGE. Almost every game released since was nothing more than the NGE. Still you can not beat the features, social aspect, crafting, player built cities, decoration, harvesting of resources, open exploration, and so much more that SWG had. No game even comes close to SWG and think if one like SWG was released it would do great.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by grimal

The chances of you building a working time machine and going back to 2005 are higher than SWG ever coming back.....in any form.

You are incorrect or time machines are very likely, although I think it is the former.

Seriously, it's not that hard anymore.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    Originally posted by Elijarh

OK guys.. Don't have a stamping paddy about another SWG thread, I had a thought the other day [mod  edit] Someone said to me that a new Star wars Galaxies would not be possible due to the nature of the large open worlds and the modern game engines available now that could cope with such size and be a visual treat also. Well ... I'm Currently Playing the PS2 Beta and that  Forgelight engine is amazing, Can't say much(NDA).. Surely that engine  could easily handle all the planets in the SWG miniverse in stunning detail with all thoses wookies running round too.  Am I still clinging to a wish that it wil happen or just sandbox mad. Just bored of the F2p trash popping up al the time.  ..Ok im done... ready for the abuse...

:)

I agree! Not a fan of PS2, but I tried it and as i played I thought, this would make a great engine for swg2, mind blowingly good for a game like swg. In fact, you would never want to leave the game.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Tiller

I agree! Not a fan of PS2, but I tried it and as i played I thought, this would make a great engine for swg2, mind blowingly good for a game like swg. In fact, you would never want to leave the game.

It would indeed be a great engine for it

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

A number of AAA MMO's were released in 2004, and of course a number of SWG players went to check them out. But when the CU turned SWG into "EQ in Space!" there was less incentive to return to a game that was still buggy and now suffered from "industry standard" mechanics.

Except it was nothing like EQ...

The CU stil had profession trees and allowed you to mix and match just like you did pre-cu.

Originally posted by Obraik

The CU stil had profession trees and allowed you to mix and match just like you did pre-cu.

Well, you could mix and match, but with very different result after the CU.

CU introduced levels and limitations. You could not be a full level PVP-toon AND still have master crafter skills like in Pre-CU.

thamighty213:

Subscriptions went down to around 200-250k before the CU, there were no mass exodus at that time. Most of the people leaving after the CU were the ones that already told SOE they would., there were massive in-game protests and forum riots; only to be over triumphed by the NGE protests. We were promissed the Comat Rewamp, but got a shitty Combat upgrade.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    now are Disney so we may see another SWG but with different name.
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • valkerusvalkerus Member UncommonPosts: 62

I will back up some with saying, the exodus began before the NGE. I know, my guild were some of those that left. That game had great crafting but beyond that it was a hot mess. Giant creatures flodding screens from creature handlers, hours of rolling in the sand shooting at desert bunnies to go from rifle1 to rifle 2, hunting jedi to the ends of the earth to only have them turn off their computers and be completely safe.....yes that game sucked well before the NGE.

NGE=combat upgrade

CU introduced levels and limitations. You could not be a full level PVP-toon AND still have master crafter skills like in Pre-CU.

thamighty213:

Subscriptions went down to around 200-250k before the CU, there were no mass exodus at that time. Most of the people leaving after the CU were the ones that already told SOE they would., there were massive in-game protests and forum riots; only to be over triumphed by the NGE protests. We were promissed the Comat Rewamp, but got a shitty Combat upgrade.

The game always had levels, the CU just made them visible.  As a crafter hybrid, during the Pre-CU you still would have been at a disadvantage to someone that had a dual combat profession template.

The bigger problem for PvP in pre-cu and the CU was the ever increasing number of Jedi that were making their debut.  Since they were a stronger profession than the rest as more and more appeared it made PvP a rather frustrating experience for anyone that didn't want to be one. 

thamighty213:

The game always had levels, the CU just made them visible.  As a crafter hybrid, during the Pre-CU you still would have been at a disadvantage to someone that had a dual combat profession template.

The bigger problem for PvP in pre-cu and the CU was the ever increasing number of Jedi that were making their debut.  Since they were a stronger profession than the rest as more and more appeared it made PvP a rather frustrating experience for anyone that didn't want to be one. 

It's a very big difference between having a slightly disadvantage and to be level 54 with only one master combat profession against all the level 80's. And you know that too.

The CU was the first attempt to dumb down the game, SOE called it simplified development and promissed faster content updates. The exact same stories we were told when the NGE hit us.

The original game had lot of faults, but please don't deny the misstakes with the CU and the NGE, we are fools if we don't learn from history.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It looks like the most likely option under DIsney is that they detail out their new timeline for movies and products and work out an in house option for development. I just can't see Disney going to an outside developer for an mmo as they are hard nosed when it comes to there IPs. I'd expect a new republic era game as well which would be the best choice anyway. Hardcore Star Wars fans haven't really adopted Kotor well and would rather see a move back to the movie time lines.

My worry is that the movies are entirely different than the novels and stories developed since Return of the Jedi. Word has already been given that Lucas outlined the story even though new writers will be brought in and he mentioned he will not follow the expanded universe time line. This will be a hard hit to hardcore fans who consider many of the novels canon and frankly some of those stories are simply amazing.

An mmo would certainly strickly follow the new Disney Star Wars era but I have no idea how they would envision it. I think they would at least take an original approach if entering the mmo genre.

You stay sassy!

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

This technically-accurate half-truth has been debunked repeatedly ever since the Spring of 2005 when you first spouted it on the Official Forums. Pre-CU's "hidden levels" didn't affect anything but the con reading, giving you an estimate of your chances against the targetted mob with your skills and equipped weapon. CU's Combat Levels, on the other hand, directly affected the outcome of battle by imposing multipliers and divisors of damage and accuracy, based on relative CL. Not the same thing at all, and you know it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Tamanous

It looks like the most likely option under DIsney is that they detail out their new timeline for movies and products and work out an in house option for development. I just can't see Disney going to an outside developer for an mmo as they are hard nosed when it comes to there IPs. I'd expect a new republic era game as well which would be the best choice anyway. Hardcore Star Wars fans haven't really adopted Kotor well and would rather see a move back to the movie time lines.

My worry is that the movies are entirely different than the novels and stories developed since Return of the Jedi. Word has already been given that Lucas outlined the story even though new writers will be brought in and he mentioned he will not follow the expanded universe time line. This will be a hard hit to hardcore fans who consider many of the novels canon and frankly some of those stories are simply amazing.

An mmo would certainly strickly follow the new Disney Star Wars era but I have no idea how they would envision it. I think they would at least take an original approach if entering the mmo genre.

It going to be hard to write around what the novels have already done.  30 years later puts it past the solo's oldest kid Anakin having died and stuck station's computers.  That is well after the invasion series and might put it after Jason goes sith, or around the same time point.  All those novels were so great.  Then we might be missing the entire back stories of Luke getting married to Mara, and the solo's having kids, and bobafet having a daughter.  They already have tons of good stuff they could use.

Sorry for the spoilers, but heck most star wars fans would have read these books by now I would have thought.

This technically-accurate half-truth has been debunked repeatedly ever since the Spring of 2005 when you first spouted it on the Official Forums. Pre-CU's "hidden levels" didn't affect anything but the con reading, giving you an estimate of your chances against the targetted mob with your skills and equipped weapon. CU's Combat Levels, on the other hand, directly affected the outcome of battle by imposing multipliers and divisors of damage and accuracy, based on relative CL. Not the same thing at all, and you know it.

The same multipliers existed pre-cu too, they were just achieved differently.  If you equipped a weapon you weren't skilled in, then you suffered major penalties.  If you attacked something that conned red (ie. a higher level than you) then the damage you did was much less than the damage done by someone who conned green to that same enemy.  Was it exagerated more with the CU?  Possibly.

The same multipliers existed pre-cu too, they were just achieved differently.  If you equipped a weapon you weren't skilled in, then you suffered major penalties.  If you attacked something that conned red (ie. a higher level than you) then the damage you did was much less than the damage done by someone who conned green to that same enemy.  Was it exagerated more with the CU?  Possibly.

Thanks for proven the point. As you say... in Pre-CU it was your skills, and you got different skills with different professions.

In the CU the level based multipliers was all that mattered, regardelss of what "skills" you had.

You, as a veteran player (should) know all about it, so please don't start fighting with semantics. I'm not going to put that time into a already provend and closed case.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Thanks for proven the point. As you say... in Pre-CU it was your skills, and you got different skills with different professions.

In the CU the level based multipliers was all that mattered, regardelss of what "skills" you had.

You, as a veteran player (should) know all about it, so please don't start fighting with semantics. I'm not going to put that time into a already provend and closed case.

We all know pre cu was more fun and had more freedom in the way we could play.

The CU was the first step towards the end.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

I know what they said about episode 7,but its coming.

Now i know what they are saying about SWG 2.

SWTOR 2 ,i dont think so , SWG 2 ,more likely.

Let's internet

Except, you had to gain the skills during the CU to be able to get the levels, so I'm not sure what your point is?  Just like in Pre-CU how you needed to get the skills to lower your con.  Also, Rangers had the ability to examine creatures and view their level that was hidden to everyone else.

If I had to pick the best way professions were done throughout SWG I'd have to say it would be the CU way, especially towards the end of its 6 month stint.  Unlike Pre-CU, pretty much all the abilities of each profession worked, there was reasonable balance (if Jedi are excluded) and there was still the freedom of profession trees

Except, you had to gain the skills during the CU to be able to get the levels, so I'm not sure what your point is?  Just like in Pre-CU how you needed to get the skills to lower your con.  Also, Rangers had the ability to examine creatures and view their level that was hidden to everyone else.

If I had to pick the best way professions were done throughout SWG I'd have to say it would be the CU way, especially towards the end of its 6 month stint.  Unlike Pre-CU, pretty much all the abilities of each profession worked, there was reasonable balance (if Jedi are excluded) and there was still the freedom of profession trees

You had to grind different types of XP during the CU to get the levels.

A player with a single elite compat profession (level 54), like a master Bounty Hunter with all his skills were USELESS against any player with two elite combat professions (level 80), regardless type of skills, stacking or not. It was all about the levels, like most other games nowdays.

And coming from pre-cu gameplay, you call that balanced? Ignorance is a bliss.