Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thiefs ruin PvP/WvW for every other class ....

1235»

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by timeraider
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    IS it weird to anyone else that the only people that ever defend the class in question of being OP are the people that play said OP class. Strange that everyone else thinks they are OP but they themselves do not. Must be a fluke.

Thief is not OP

Sincerly greetings,

- Elementalist

LOL that's awesome.

I'll add mine.

Thief is not OP

Sincerely,

- Engineer

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Whenever I read people complaining about thieves, I think to myself "this person doesn't know about mesmers yet".

Trust me, if there were as many mesmers(least played) as there are thieves(3rd? most played).... you know what, don't trust me.  Just wait for it and see for yourselves.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well... shouldn't pop in here but since I got experience in the game...

Playing thief... I'd say its far from OP. Having got a thief to 80 with mesmer, I found it to be a meh class pvp wise. Its good for taking out bad players but any good player can do some damage to the thief and force me to essencially have to play hit and run for my life. Mesmer felt a lot stronger and all classes (minus ranger I couldn't bring myself to play that no matter how bored I was) overall felt pretty good and in many cases superior to thief, often having better utility to outclass thief damage and hurt their squishy selves that, specially focused, are one of the quickest classes to drop considering they go in melee.

• GurstenGursten Member Posts: 5

Hep

I've always been playing a rogue type char in every MMO since UO.

GW2 thief is not OP but very powerful in the hands of ppl who know what they're doin. It's quite easy to play, Anyone can do decently without any knowledge of the class.

I'd say the same about Guardians. Quite straightforward to bring it to a good level. But only ppl who invest time in it can unleash their power.

The thing with the thief is that it is really really fun to play:  You can play a roamer, harass ppl, sometimes kill good players if lucky or definitely turn 'em from their objectives. You can kill noobs like in 2sec, or lure an entire zerg in an ambush. Yah that's fun. For the real killing though you'd betta wait for backup

The culling?? Damn, what about it? Are you aware of it when you engage? Do you say 'hey maybe they won't see me so yah let's go in and kill 20ppl in 10secs..'    Really?

It happens for any other class in the game. Ever seen a Hundred Blades War popping out of nowhere and insta kill ya? I have... Do I ask for War nerfing?

I'm currently lvling a guardian, and damn!! it is awesome I mean, 200k XP without dying here I come!!! 

Just an advice: don't turn your back on thieves. Don't run away from them, cuz you're definitely for running to your death.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Maybe for sPVP or WvW (why isnt the thief dieing to aoe?)

But in tPVP, Thieves are one of the easiest to counter. 

Why?  Because something as simple as "THIEF INC WATERFALL" will make that thief burst useless.  Communication will ruin the thief.  Theyre squishy and the constant stealthing will render them unable to defend a node either.

Oh...Guardians and Mesmers are the biggest players in tPVP right now.

Edit :

The biggest use for thieves in tPVP is to solo the lord/npc spawns that arent in water. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well... shouldn't pop in here but since I got experience in the game...

Playing thief... I'd say its far from OP. Having got a thief to 80 with mesmer, I found it to be a meh class pvp wise. Its good for taking out bad players but any good player can do some damage to the thief and force me to essencially have to play hit and run for my life. Mesmer felt a lot stronger and all classes (minus ranger I couldn't bring myself to play that no matter how bored I was) overall felt pretty good and in many cases superior to thief, often having better utility to outclass thief damage and hurt their squishy selves that, specially focused, are one of the quickest classes to drop considering they go in melee.

Agreed.

Now I have got my mesmer to 80, I have to say it is hilariously easy to dominate any other class in PvP.

The skills I learned as a necromancer at damage avoidance through movement make it even worse. I have found it a revelation to play a class that doesn't need to dodge! I mean the only reasons I do are (a) habit; and (b) ensuring I have even more health bar left by the time I win for the next fight....

.... and don't get me started on my downed skills - rib-achingly funny!

Never been handed such a broken skillset in my life - a child could find the 'IWin' button on this class once the right PvP specc is set up.

So I am officially changing my mind - Mesmers need fixing before Thieves.

That said - I haven't been so impressed with their PvE (especially dungeon) performance - so some of their potency in PvP should be taken away and transferred to PvE in my opinion.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Castillle

But in tPVP, Thieves are one of the easiest to counter. 

Why?  Because something as simple as "THIEF INC WATERFALL" will make that thief burst useless.  Communication will ruin the thief.  Theyre squishy and the constant stealthing will render them unable to defend a node either.

Oh...Guardians and Mesmers are the biggest players in tPVP right now.

Edit :

The biggest use for thieves in tPVP is to solo the lord/npc spawns that arent in water. 

Only an issue if the team is on Teamspeak or somesuch - nobody really has the time to type in PvP....

.... and even then I am not sure you are corrrect....

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Because of the limit on AOE. You know AOE can only affect a max of 5 targets, right? Mesmer portal turtling is currently all the rage. 

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Ukiah

Because of the limit on AOE. You know AOE can only affect a max of 5 targets, right? Mesmer portal turtling is currently all the rage. 

turtling isn't doing so well on JQ, we squash those idiots nightly.

Took people awhile to work out how to break it, but it's broken.

Same with thief.

Took people awhile to work them out, but they are done for as well.

Mesmers are still slippery though, but thats just class mechanics.

Soon the hack illuminating the real mesmer will blow up, and then you'll have real issues lol

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Ukiah

turtling isn't doing so well on JQ, we squash those idiots nightly.

Took people awhile to work out how to break it, but it's broken.

Same with thief.

Took people awhile to work them out, but they are done for as well.

Mesmers are still slippery though, but thats just class mechanics.

Soon the hack illuminating the real mesmer will blow up, and then you'll have real issues lol

Yeah, there's a counter for it, but it's taking some people awhile to figure it out. I hate turtling anyway. It just seems such a uninspired way to defend. I'm more impressed with the groups that cleverly send groups out, around and into the flanks or rear of attackers or other more realistic tactics. Just appeals to the military history buff in me.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Goromhir

They should have kept this class out of GW2 and all was good, but no they had to implement the super destroyer class that kills any other class in a few seconds before a player can react.

warhammer and WoW already had OPed Rogues and lost many players because of them. RIFT the same problem.

Why did they put THIEFs into GW2 and made them so strong that they kill every other class in no time ? 

Stealth > Stun > boom boom boom = dead player in 2-5 seconds never mind if the target is a Warrior, Caster or whatever...

in addition to the annoying high damage they can stealth as often as they want to which makes them stupid hard to kill. 

Why the heck did ArenaNet make Thiefs almost Instant killers ?? Wasnt there a beta test period to tune them down ???

This game needs alot balance work quick before to many people leave it......................................

Your a crybaby - my thief can kill all classes, not easily but its not hard either except for guards, but i die to anyone that can land 3-4 well placed hits on me. If i get the drop on someone i can take anyone down, if someone gets the drop on me i go down quicker than hooker panties. AND NO WE CANT STEALTH AS OFTEN AS WE WANT- NOT ONLY ARE YOU A CRYBABY YOUR A MISINFORMED CRYBABY AT THAT--  nearly all glass classes have a way to escape a fight.  I only use 2 stealth abilities, and both are tied into healing. 1  i use during combat that heals me and stealths me for like 3 seconds the other i use to get away if im about to die which stealths me for 10 seconds WHEN IT WORKS CORRECTLY.

If im fighting someone and i stealth 90% of the time its to get away cuz im about to die,which means the other person is still alive too, so we both live,thats nothing to cry about. Instant kill what ability is that please let me know so i can use it ty.

• drDamagedrDamage Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    [mod edit]

Guild Wars 2 needs balance. Badly. Anet doesn't have a good track record at making it. See Guild Wars 1. I don't think the skills guy can do basic math.

Guild wars 2 needs "deleted" thats what I did. Its broken.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Even I'm a Staff Elementalist, I think that after the issues with the stealth are gone, the Thief class should be ok.

What annoys me mostly is that my Mist Form in which I should be invulnerable, doesn't make me really invulnerable.

I used it in the heat of the battle to flee and regen for a bit only to see me dying while in mist form, after people spammed me while in mist form which actually shouldn't be possible, unless I had a dot on me previously.

Even as a elementalist I managed to kill thiefs or make sure they run away after they noticed that I'm not THAT easy to kill. :p

Other times of course I died like instantly but it was mostly with attacks from behind.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Goromhir

They should have kept this class out of GW2 and all was good, but no they had to implement the super destroyer class that kills any other class in a few seconds before a player can react.

warhammer and WoW already had OPed Rogues and lost many players because of them. RIFT the same problem.

Why did they put THIEFs into GW2 and made them so strong that they kill every other class in no time ? 

Stealth > Stun > boom boom boom = dead player in 2-5 seconds never mind if the target is a Warrior, Caster or whatever...

in addition to the annoying high damage they can stealth as often as they want to which makes them stupid hard to kill. 

Why the heck did ArenaNet make Thiefs almost Instant killers ?? Wasnt there a beta test period to tune them down ???

This game needs alot balance work quick before to many people leave it......................................

lol, wow lost alot of players cos of rogues?

a) it's thieves.

b) no, wow didnt lose any players, 11 million subs prove you wrong here.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"