Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Learn the Basics in Latest Video

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    The most noticable positive I saw in that video is nowhere in the gameplay did I see a (!) anywhere even when they were in the towns.... Oh god could it be true?

Nah, the PvE reeks of WoW, I'm sure they'll have it. The UI was turned off the whole video.

they've said there will be no !.  you got anything else?

No, instead you have a magical compass that points you to all the dungeons and NPCs.

Which they DID say. In THIS video.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by 4Rm15T4R
    I hope that the game retains its first-person view, it gives the game a unique experience and an even greater immersion than other games because the detail to see how you hold the shield, your weapon and cast magic; that gives a "unique flavor"

TES games can be played in third person as well. First person wasn't the main seller of the game. Also the combat in elder scrolls game have been known around the community for being bad. Not sure why you would want that in the MMO, or even future TES games.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Tayah
    The only thing I don't like is raiding, if I'm forced to do it to get the best gear as it was in WoW, I just won't play it. I raided so much in WoW, it burnt me out. I just won't do it again. The weather system looks nice though. Being a heavily phasing game is of concern for me too.

AFAIK this a F2P title, so I'll probably just explore the crap out of this, try to get on whichever dungeon I'm eligible, and put it down until the next expansion. I'm not willing on going through the threadmill again.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by 4Rm15T4R
    I hope that the game retains its first-person view, it gives the game a unique experience and an even greater immersion than other games because the detail to see how you hold the shield, your weapon and cast magic; that gives a "unique flavor"

TES games can be played in third person as well. First person wasn't the main seller of the game. 

Yeah, you go ahead and try and play Morrowind and tell me First Person wasnt a Main selling point. Skyrim was the first game to allow Third person as a viable option.

Also the combat in elder scrolls game have been known around the community for being bad. 

Skyrim has bad combat? Really? 

Morrowind: YES, Bad combat, theres no denying that, any Elder Scrolls fan can tell you that. 

But Id really like you to name me three fantasy games with better combat than Skyrim. I garuntee you cant.

Seriously to people who post douchey comments like this, your not being unique by putting your opinion out their if it has no basis in reality, no cohesiveness to the subject, your just putting your voice out their to try and make it louder than all the others. Only thing is, where on a forum, where arguements have to won off valid points, and logical deductions. Not baseless crap that makes you feel better by telling people its true even though clearly its just a poor opinion.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    The most noticable positive I saw in that video is nowhere in the gameplay did I see a (!) anywhere even when they were in the towns.... Oh god could it be true?

Nah, the PvE reeks of WoW, I'm sure they'll have it. The UI was turned off the whole video.

No, instead you have a magical compass that points you to all the dungeons and NPCs.

the compass acts like the one in skyrim.  where you can see undicovered caves,  camps,  etc.  yes they did they did say that in the video.  it's to help promote exploration.  if your on a quest and pass by a cave,  you can decide wether to continue on the quest or go into the cave.  much like the single player ES games. 

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103
    Does anyone know if players of different factions can group together for the PvE part of the game?

the compass acts like the one in skyrim.  where you can see undicovered caves,  camps,  etc.  yes they did they did say that in the video.  it's to help promote exploration.  if your on a quest and pass by a cave,  you can decide wether to continue on the quest or go into the cave.  much like the single player ES games. 

You mean, one of the worst game mechanics of Skyrim?

You know how you promote exploration? You don't tell the player where all the points of interests are 5 minutes before they see it or are even near it.

My response was to the person who said "well theres no !!! over heads!" instead they have... the same EXACT feature, except its in a compass.

Originally posted by Anakami
    Does anyone know if players of different factions can group together for the PvE part of the game?

dont know for sure.  but im pretty certain no.  they are stressing faction pride.

You know how you promote exploration? You don't tell the player where all the points of interests are 5 minutes before they see it or are even near it.

My response was to the person who said "well theres no !!! over heads!" instead they have... the same EXACT feature, except its in a compass.

alright.  kudos.  name me 2 games that do exploration better than skyrim.  if you cant think of 2 ill let you name 1.  cheers.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The proximity to the points of interests should be reasonable before it pops out of the compass. I agree with your "5 minute" bit, but not the "near it" bit. You're setting yourself up for a very small demographic if your plan is to create an expansive world and not put any indicator as to which areas grant the player something in return for exploration.

dont know for sure.  but im pretty certain no.  they are stressing faction pride.

I am all for faction pride...in PvP. But if my PvE experience is limited to only ever playing with 2 other races that happen to be in my faction, then sadly that would be the one reason for me not buying this game.

I am all for faction pride...in PvP. But if my PvE experience is limited to only ever playing with 2 other races that happen to be in my faction, then sadly that would be the one reason for me not buying this game.

meh.  im fine with it.  give me a reaon to roll an alt.  i wont have to lvl thru the same zones.

Also, doesn't it kind of contradict their statement that they emphasized the social aspect of the game being able to play with all your friends. Or did they mean: You can play with all your friends as long as your friends happen to like one of the 3 races that are together in a faction?

Also, I would be fine if the leveling up experience is seperated. But once you hit 50 and end game opens up, why not have players group without unnecessary faction limits in order to do raids and stuff like that. Fighting threats that endanger the whole of Tamriel where it would be sensible to put faction pride aside and raly together.

alright.  kudos.  name me 2 games that do exploration better than skyrim.  if you cant think of 2 ill let you name 1.  cheers.

Morrowind.

Vanguard.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

The proximity to the points of interests should be reasonable before it pops out of the compass. I agree with your "5 minute" bit, but not the "near it" bit. You're setting yourself up for a very small demographic if your plan is to create an expansive world and not put any indicator as to which areas grant the player something in return for exploration.

You can put plenty of indicators. But they don't have to be magical hold you by the balls compasses that point out EVERYTHING so that you NEVER have to think or god forbid, EXPLORE FOR YOURSELF.

"Hey, theres a door in the side of that mountain there. Oh, but no compass pointing me that well. I guess its just nothing then!"

How the hell do you think people knew where stuff was before in game maps?

Morrowind.

Vanguard.

well played. looks like teso will have the 4th best.  i will still be happy.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by OnisDE

The people complaining about graphics are full of it... It looks like elder scrolls. The world is colorful and characters look dark and gritty, battle worn comes to mind. The graphics are breath taking. One I'm going to watch! 

The graphics, like almost all recent MMO launches, look REALLY outdated, ESPECIALLY the armor textures and models.

You do know that it's at pre alpha and the game is at least a year away.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Where do they say that the combat is turn based? I didn't see that anywhere before the guy posted earlier in this thread.

Look at the video. The characters are just standing still and trading blows with shiny effects flying out. This can only be due to the fact that the combat is your standard global cooldown dumbed down turn based combat.

Or maybe those videos were before they started turning the combat into more action oriented. I don't know. But according to what I see now, I have no reason to believe the combat is anything like Skyrim, where manuevering and timing your blows to the fraction of a second is the difference between life and death.

I notice that too.  GW2 had better interactive combat animations, and SWTOR had choreographed combat (graphically shows dodges/ parries / ducks / successful hits, etc).

In Elder Scrolls Online, players and mobs just stand there, don't budge, and just exchange hits.  Looks really bad.  It's like WoW, but with more polygons. hmm...a step backwards I'd say.  Even TSW was better, which is really an insult.

But someone will argue that it's just an early version and, yeah it is.  It needs to improve, though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by OnisDE

The people complaining about graphics are full of it... It looks like elder scrolls. The world is colorful and characters look dark and gritty, battle worn comes to mind. The graphics are breath taking. One I'm going to watch! 

The graphics, like almost all recent MMO launches, look REALLY outdated, ESPECIALLY the armor textures and models.

You do know that it's at pre alpha and the game is at least a year away.

I can't believe they have you drones repeating "pre alpha" now. I guess pre alpha is the new beta?

First off, if the graphics are such a work in progress, then the video wouldn't spend the majority of its time showing off the graphics in slow fly bys.

Second? If the game was pre alpha it would literally not be in a playable state. They've already given demos to journalists. Its playable. It's well into alpha. If its releasing next year then its in internal beta most likely.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

It looks really really great. The only thing that put me off was the "when you get to level 50 the game really opens up". I suppose GW2 has spoiled me on this, either that or I've always been this way. But I hate waiting and grinding to max level to get to the fun stuff. I think Arenanet had the right idea on that part. However, I see that they'll be using some kind of "mega-server" to house everyone, which I like. I was very disappointed when I played GW2 and had to pick a server.

Sure it made it seem more like an MMO, with its servers and realms etc etc, but I wanted to play with all of my friends and most of them were spread out across servers.

So the game looks to be fun. Ofcourse everyone who likes fence-sitting will chime in to let us know that they are on the fence until a month after release. And of course the nay sayers will chime in to tell us that TESO will fail because it's an MMO with the ES title. But consider this.

Warcraft:

A franchise with following that was nearly a decade strong. This later evolved into the well known and loved/hated World of Warcraft. It's success was largely due to the fact that its fanbase was incredibly loyal to it and unwavering in their devotion. Fans waited hours - no, days in line for their copy of the game. The game broadened the market and opened the genre to non-gamers and house-wives(and their children).

The Elder Scrolls:

A franchise with a following that is nearly two decades strong. This will soon evolve into TESO. The formula for a great RPG experience is already there all that needs to be done is for them to stick to their guns and bring us a strong product. But what is most important here is the fanbase. Two decades of loyal fans pouring thousands of cumulative hours into it; whether it be modding or just exploring the world, or even downloading mods and having fun shooting cheese wheels everywhere.

Point is: TES has a history that matches (and exceeds) Warcraft's it has been an incredibly successful franchise. On top of that its the same developers of TES that are making TESO(a good portion of the original team are staffed to work on the MMO). So it's not like TES was a series of good movies and someone in corporate decided to hand it off to a Game Developer to make an MMO.

This would be like Arenanet handing over the rights to their franchise over to some no name developer and telling them to develope GW3.

Uh, except WoW got where it was because it was

a) the first MMO made by a big name well known company that had a large fanbase

b) was the first MMO to have a year long advertising campaign pre release

c) was the first MMO to directly target non MMO/casual gamers as their main demographic

You cannot out WoW WoW. They did it first. Its an outlier. They got lucky with perfect timing. The same WILL NOT happen to this game. It didn't happen with SWTOR either.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Star Wars had a legacy longer than either Warcraft or the Elder Scrolls, and well hype may lie within these fanbases, but the proof is in the pudding.  Combat thus far looks sub-par, but maybe it will be a nice game .. too early.  I'd rather walk than ride another hype train..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli
    Star Wars had a legacy longer than either Warcraft or the Elder Scrolls, and well hype may lie within these fanbases, but the proof is in the pudding.  Combat thus far looks sub-par, but maybe it will be a nice game .. too early.  I'd rather walk than ride another hype train..

It would almost be worth following if it didn't have phasing, instancing, and sharding to make it feel like a singleplayer game rather than a virtual world.

And the stupid quest compass telling you where everything is and what to do.

Its very clear that the head developer is at war with some publisher. He's trying to make it social and public dungeon-y, while the publisher is forcing in a ton of WoW features. Because you CANNOT have instances AND public dungeons.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Zenimax initally announced that Cyrodill open world PVP will be the only type of PVP and that concerns me the most. Everything else, I can tolerate (except maybe 5 minute loading screens in my MMO).

Also, I really hope they put alternative leveling zones within each faction. Otherwise, it's SWTOR all over again.

About exploration, I don't mind following mini-map or compass for my main story quest, as long as some new hidden quest or dungeon that isn't on mini-map pops up in front of me unexpectedly along the way.

Originally posted by DeniZg

Zenimax initally announced that Cyrodill open world PVP will be the only type of PVP and that concerns me the most. Everything else, I can tolerate (except maybe 5 minute loading screens in my MMO).

Also, I really hope they put alternative leveling zones within each faction. Otherwise, it's SWTOR all over again.

About exploration, I don't mind following mini-map or compass for my main story quest, as long as some new hidden quest or dungeon that isn't on mini-map pops up in front of me unexpectedly along the way.

It won't. It doesn't in WoW or Skyrim and thats what these games are modelled on.

And if the PvP is as good as DAoC, it being the only PvP option is a GOOD thing.