Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we really falling for this again?!

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

A new flashy trailer comes out and everyone is ready to give their bodies to Zenimax as tribute to their greatness (in Marketing!)

Seriously, does anyone remember SWTOR still? I know weve tried to put the image in the back of our head and really repress all those terrible memories, but lets not forget ESO is still an MMO from a AAA company. The new trailer really does make the game look great, at least in the over-exagerated 500 person armies battling and the whole "Play how you want style", which is very well displayed in a video depicting every Elder Scrolls character ever donning the EXACT Helmet from skyrim in every scene. Seriously isnt this set BEFORE skyrim? Was the Dovakiin the first Hipster who brought that style back a few centuries later?

Anyway let me just refresh your memory on how "Good" marketing can make even a crap-piece of a game look amazing. 

Exhibit A

Also am I the only one who finds it hypocritical that ESO fans like to say us Core Elder Scrolls fans are too dismissive of ESO, yet one video comes out showing the game systems in an over-edited and cinematic fashion (Obviously to increase hype) and everyone goes crazy apeshit over it???

[mod edit - note that the title of this post has been edited slightly to be less inflammatory]

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Who exactly do you mean by "you people?" :p

After SWTOR and GW2 failed* I am far less persuaded by anyone, even 1 person, saying this game is fun!, without me seeing it firsthand.

SWTOR tought me never again to preorder games.

GW2 tought me never to buy any game linked to a casual fanbase.

Another I could never have forseen,

WoW Cataclysm tought me never to buy Activision-Blizzard products.

TESO tought me __________ . This blank reserved for the final relase :P  I'll try to get in beta though, or just wait awhile to see the reaction.  I am not impressed so far, but that may change.  My expectations are with Titan .. low.  Very low.  Best to keep them there (it can only go up).

legend:

*perceived failure

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Karteli

After SWTOR and GW2 failed I am far less persuaded by anyone, even 1 person, saying this game is fun!, without me seeing it firsthand.

TESO tought me __________ . This blank reserved for the final relase :P

Seems like you must get burned first before you learn a lesson. How about being more insightful so you could avoid all these heartbreaks?

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

After SWTOR and GW2 failed I am far less persuaded by anyone, even 1 person, saying this game is fun!, without me seeing it firsthand.

TESO tought me __________ . This blank reserved for the final relase :P. 

i didnot bought gw2 and waited to see the end result and i am glad i didnot bought it . :PTESO and neverwinter i will pass  

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    if by 'falling' you mean 'in love' then yes. 
  • pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Too many players have been burnt by bad games. If they are start 1 week before release they let everyone try it for free for a few days that will give them the numbers to test the game and let people know if they will be giving out money for it. 
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

This MMO will be plagued by so many troubles that its beyond human capability to fix it and the forums better shutdown to avoid freakwaves of QQing.
    Its sad the the last great and big RPG series has to suffer that way...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Seems like you must get burned first before you learn a lesson. How about being more insightful so you could avoid all these heartbreaks?

Thats why it pisses me off in this community when fanboys attack an insult anyone making any negative remarks against "their" game. As a consumer and a gamer i want to know the good and bad. I want to hear everyones opinion and thoughts. Just not the good, or claimed to be good.

Because the swtor and gw2 fans that bashed everyone and everything are idiots. And i never listen to hype, just plain facts and videos if i can not get into the beta.

Our community fails each other everytime something like this happens. nd beta testers suck so bad now, it horrible how so many can say the game is so great and it falls flat on its butt 2 months out the door due to issues, bugs, problems, etc....

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

There were details, but I didn't think it would be good to flood the thread with them.

Basically, I'll scutinize TESO more heavily than any other upcoming game, because of what I know, and what Zenimax will try to sell to me so they can ride the Elder Scrolls IP wave....

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

My interest for ESO died when the lead designer said that all good ideas for MMOs had already been done a while back.

If I am hyped for future MMOs it is for Class 4 and World of darkness online.

Then again, I might try the beta with no real expectations, sometimes a game can surprise me.

Originally posted by Loke666

My interest for ESO died when the lead designer said that all good ideas for MMOs had already been done a while back.

If I am hyped for future MMOs it is for Class 4 and World of darkness online.

Then again, I might try the beta with no real expectations, sometimes a game can surprise me.

i think it's safe to say that they're not reinventing the wheel.  and so far they havent told us that they are.  but,  they seem full of passion and they seem to be developing a game based on proven mechanics.  how well they mix those mechanics together has yet to be seen.  but they arent (or at least dont seem to be) trying to "beat wow".  they want to make a good game.   

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Firor has been dying to make DAOC2 but couldnt get the rights.

But Elder Scrolls is popular so........$$$

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Why not?  I like GW2 and definitetley don't regret the purchase and plan on playing as updates come for a long time.  GW2 especially is suspect on your list being that it far from "failed".   I had fun with SWTOR for at least a few months and expect to make trips into the game as more content is released(here you can defitely make a point though).  I really doubt that ESO will be terrible.  In fact it's far more likely to be good.  Mature at launch?  Unlikely.   That's one thing so many mmo players forget online games take some time to come into their own.  As long as people don't expect the second coming for a game I doubt anyone will be disapointed.  People have the right to enjoy something even as you have the right to have your own opinion.  I'd say it's too early to truly get excited or not though.  Just my two cents.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    No, just the usual fool that hop on any new game and then wonder why they don't like it. Until this gets rid of phasing and the quest compass, it'll be garbage.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Except, DAoC 1 didn't have phasing and instancing. This will.

Failure.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Failure.

what part of the instancing and phasing bothers you?

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

GW2 was the biggest burn of all. Most people knew SWTOR was going to be a failure, most people know TSW is mediocre, few people claimed that GW2 was going be mediocre for all the wrong reasons.

With the ESO, I think many people who actually think about it can see how this game will just be a disappointment to the people who are looking forward to it. Those who play TES titles and say things like "this should be online." "wish this had co-op" etc etc and have only played a few MMOs or just heard about WoW will think ESO is going to be hit. Those of us who know TES games and MMOs and especially MMO adaptions can see how this will either fail or just be another medicore mess.

It's going to take another 10 years before game developers make decent MMOs again and stop with this WoW-clone and facebook browser game and tablet touch screen garbage. Meanwhile, indy game makers will continue to make entertaining games. Though there still wont be anything to fill that mmo void.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

"Bwuaaaaa, i played SWTOR 100 hours/week and i was bored after 2 months"

"Bwuaaaaa, i'm a spoiled little brat with no perspective"

"Bwuaaaaa, i've played MMO's for 20 years and every new game sucks, it's not because i'm burned out"

"Bwuaaaaa, every game is a failure unless they reinvent the wheel"

"Bwuaaaaa, why r u guyz fallin for for hypez"

Are you people really still doing this?

Originally posted by jinxxed0

GW2 was the biggest burn of all. Most people knew SWTOR was going to be a failure, most people know TSW is mediocre, few people claimed that GW2 was going be mediocre for all the wrong reasons.

With the ESO, I think many people who actually think about it can see how this game will just be a disappointment to the people who are looking forward to it. Those who play TES titles and say things like "this should be online." "wish this had co-op" etc etc and have only played a few MMOs or just heard about WoW will think ESO is going to be hit. Those of us who know TES games and MMOs and especially MMO adaptions can see how this will either fail or just be another medicore mess.

It's going to take another 10 years before game developers make decent MMOs again and stop with this WoW-clone and facebook browser game and tablet touch screen garbage. Meanwhile, indy game makers will continue to make entertaining games. Though there still wont be anything to fill that mmo void.

you need to do some research before you comment on teso again.

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by timtrack

"Bwuaaaaa, i've played MMO's for 20 years and every new game sucks, it's not because i'm burned out"

Lol, isn't this at leat 90% of what's done on these forums?

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by timtrack

Yep they are :P

Still can't see whats wrong with Secret World, enjoying it, just didn't want to pay so much for it so when ti came out cheap I got it. But I love lovecraft themes.

GW2 was never going to be anything I would play as I didn't like GWs, the GF has it and plays it once a month if that, mainly because of the people who rushed past her and now moan about how boring it is, puts her off.

Now SWTOR is just a single player game, might play it now its going f2p for the single player game, but otherwise isn't at all interesting as I'm not a star wars fan.

Last but not least ESO, not read or seen anything about the game and planning not to until its out and I can see the first lots of fanboi and haters reviews. Crafting is important to me to get the idea of a living breathing world so will see what happens there.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I was very vocally against TESO when it was announced.  (look at my post history if you dont believe me)  I am much more open to the games idea now based on the information that we know.  (see my sig for info).

Doesn't mean I cant be cautiously optimistic of the game though even if I have my doubts on this mega server technology, heavy use of phasing, over the shoulder 3rd person perspective and overall longevity.  I will still follow it, to do so is leaving your self devoid of knowledgable information needed to make a "buy or pass" determination on release day.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    It looks worth trying, so when it comes out, I'll give it a chance.  No more, no less.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by muffins89

Failure.

Can't speak for him but for me it makes the game feel like a solo game experience.  When I play an MMO I want to see hundreds of people around me enjoying what I am enjoying and experiencing that new MMO smell.  Phasing and instancing removes that aspect.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Failure.

Can't speak for him but for me it makes the game feel like a solo game experience.  When I play an MMO I want to see hundreds of people around me enjoying what I am enjoying and experiencing that new MMO smell.  Phasing and instancing removes that aspect.

i agree with you.  as i dont particularly like phasing or instancing.  but,  you will always be with people regardless.  if you choose option A you will be with other option A choosers.  etc etc.  to me where it can become a problem is grouping with friends.  and zenimax has already assured us that we will be able to group with friends regardless of the quest choices we make.  so with that said.  knowing you will be with 'hundreds' of people that choose the same quest you did.  and knowing you can group with your friends.  what else about the system do you not like?

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Failure.

These are both things that are in ESO...