Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let Trion Worlds have this game

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Not trolling, but I honestly would like to see what a game that was a hybrid of Vanguard and Rift would be in the hands of a developer like Trion Worlds. 

Vanguard has interesting concepts. The world is big.

but rift has dynamic events, and better PvP and interesting tree system for classes.

mixing the two games, the outcome could be something great. But oh we'll. Never hurts to dream.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Trion could just take popular features of Vanguard and implement it to Rift? Heck the game is very on the ball with adding content right?
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    Trion could just take popular features of Vanguard and implement it to Rift? Heck the game is very on the ball with adding content right?

I dont know how to do the cute little I agree emoticons, but I totally agree.   I would like Rifts with a slower leveling curve and more zones and maybe spread teh QGs around a bit..

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

They would have to hand Vanguard over for free along with all servers, databases, and development tools.  Even then I doubt anyone would care to waste the time getting up to speed on Vanguard code in order to start building new content and fixing old...

I know there are a few (like 5) of you who still like this game but it really REALLY is dead.  Should have gone buy2own a long time ago.  Monthly subs are for content additions just not paying for access to the servers.  I don't know how long Vanguard has been around but can anyone who subs to this actually say they feel their 15 dollars a month was put to good use with content additions?

Pretty sure Age of Conan (AoC) was a pretty massive flop and even they've had more content, patches, bug fixing, and such than Vanguard!

BTW, I purchased and played Vanguard on release so I know full well what this game was and i've even attempted to give it another chance or two over the years. 

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    Um...I don't play Vanguard anymore, but what's wrong with what SOE is doing? They could just shut it down but instead they've put together a pretty big team to further develop the game, and are pushing out far more frequent and consistent updates....
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Not trolling, but I honestly would like to see what a game that was a hybrid of Vanguard and Rift would be in the hands of a developer like Trion Worlds.

Drat.

Now I have puke in my mouth.

And its your fault !

Rift has absolutely nothing to do with Vanguard. Oh okay, they are both classic fantasy games. But Vanguard is rich and Rift is poor.

Just for example, Vanguard offers 19 races and 15 base classes (with subclasses), Rift has only 6 races and 4 base classes (with enforced multiclassing). The gameworld of Vanguard is extremely huge - I dont know about Rift, but I never saw it mentioned for its gameworld size, so probably its average. Vanguard had free for all PvP in its past - Rift has enforced racial wars.

but rift has dynamic events, and better PvP and interesting tree system for classes.

mixing the two games, the outcome could be something great. But oh we'll. Never hurts to dream.

Of course Rift has better PvP - Vanguard is a pure PvE game now, you dummy ! There is no PvP at all in Vanguard, except for duels and the Arena.

I dont care for dynamic events. Its a new fashion for games, but its not a new dimension to gameplay. Quite frankly its superflous.

The "tree system" is actually a form of forced subclassing. I already hated this system in Dragon Age: Origins and I certainly dont want it in any of my other games. Give me real classes with real differences, like Vanguard has.

You cant "mix" games. This is totally absurd. It is as if you gave somebody a Porsche and a Truck and told them to "mix" these. That just doesnt work at all.

Each of these games is a program with an completely independent code base. At best you could gradually enhance one of these codebases with features found in the other codebase. But it would take many, many, many manhours to do so. No commercial company will do this if it does not expect an equally high profit from this work as a result.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

races are just pointless skins

Rift has now 36 classes, just because the way they do it gives it more flexibility it doesnt change the base.  In reality Rift has likely 200+ Viable class combos

Everything in VG was great on paper, good crafting, good alternate game (diplomacy), but terrible server stability and latency.  Ultimately the lack of customization is what killed that game to me, my Druid was the same as every other Druid in the game, what it really lacked was a good AA system or a way to customize your character your self.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Trion is already well on track with Rift and Defiance. With Rift they are adding amazing housing, more emphasis on open world events, and more social things to do. (Chronicles, world events, artifacts, ect ect)  With Defiance Trion is adding purely open world pvp, skill based system (I believe). I personally feel trion saw the doom of pure themepark games and is slowly transitioning to being a hybrid game design. I see defiance as being a Hybrid theme park sandbox game and in a year to year 1/2 Rift will be the same. 

If trion did get their hands on VG they would add their amazing server tech, constant updates and make it B2P or a better F2P model.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i think that trion would probably vastly improve most games currently out there, vanguard included.  for my money trion and CCP are the gold standard of MMORPG studios.

of course almost any studio would have done a better job of vanguard than soe did.  with the exceptions of cryptic and EA. 

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Trion hasnt shown they are any better at optimizing a game's performance than SoE, so VGs big flaw would remain.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

races are just pointless skins

To you.  Not to many of us.  Part of the whole virtual world thing that Trion is *horrible* at is a varied race selection.

Rift has now 36 classes, just because the way they do it gives it more flexibility it doesnt change the base.  In reality Rift has likely 200+ Viable class combos

Some people dig this sort of thing.  Its not so much 200+ classes, but mixes of abilities.  And I personally found it extremely hard to identify with any single mix because I was a frankenclass, and I was expected to change often anyway.  Both systems have their pros and cons and neither is inherently better than the other, just different people like different things.

Everything in VG was great on paper, good crafting, good alternate game (diplomacy), but terrible server stability and latency.  

Sigil were *awful* at making a game.  Yes, the stability and latency fixed it.  Thats not a design issue, and its not something that Trion will likely be able to fix.  They cant optimize their own game to well these days

Ultimately the lack of customization is what killed that game to me, my Druid was the same as every other Druid in the game, what it really lacked was a good AA system or a way to customize your character your self.

AAs were always in the plans.  An EQ style AA system, or even EQ2, would go a long a way.  EQOA might even be the best.  They just never got to implement them because they were tired of losing so much money trying to fix up a game no one was playing.

Of course in Rift there isnt a whole lot of uniqueness either.  Someone can change into your build whenever they feel like it.  Everything is temporary. Well, not the AAs I guess but the rift AA system is pure time sink/grind for no real customization/interesting advancement.

As refreshing as their content pace is, much of Trion is everything that I dislike about MMORPGs these days.  Players wanted MEANINGFUL OPEN WORLD PVP, Trion gave them....conquest?  Instanced PvP that reused an existing zone that was an 'alternate dimension' so they could throw lore out the window for the sake of adding this in.  Rift is also all about instant gratification.  Rift is about being a game and not about being a virtual world.

And there *IS* an audience for that.  For some what I just said is a negative but for others they are like 'so?'  Like you, with the pointless skin comment.  Someone who feels races are pointless skins isnt the target audience of a game like Vanguard. But it is exactly who Rift is targeting.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I'm more interested in what Rift turns into over the years. Trion knows what gamers want and arent afraid to put it into Rift, good or bad. I like that about them.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Oh GOD no. I like Vanguard because it ISN'T like WoW.

Give it to the developers of the biggest WoW clone on the market? No thanks. Trion didn't invent PvP, Rifts, or multilayered classes. The Vanguard devs could do that if they wanted to and had the budget for it. But that's not the focus of development right now.

And Rift's dynamic events are... not that good.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I'm more interested in what Rift turns into over the years. Trion knows what gamers want and arent afraid to put it into Rift, good or bad. I like that about them.

If they knew what gamers wanted they wouldn't have made a WoW clone, or had to merge their servers twice since launch.

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Foomerang

If they knew what gamers wanted they wouldn't have made a WoW clone, or had to merge their servers twice since launch.

A lot more than twice actually.

But to say trion knows 'what gamers want' is an utterly ludicrous thing to say.  Why?  Because all gamers are diffirent and there is no general consensus to what gamers want.  

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by DavisFlight Originally posted by Foomerang I'm more interested in what Rift turns into over the years. Trion knows what gamers want and arent afraid to put it into Rift, good or bad. I like that about them.
    A lot more than twice actually.

But to say trion knows 'what gamers want' is an utterly ludicrous thing to say.  Why?  Because all gamers are diffirent and there is no general consensus to what gamers want.  

I think it would've been better if I had written "playerbase" since they have added many requested features by their subscribers to Rift.