Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

windows 8 upgrade

Has anyone done the windows 8 upgrade?

Is it good , bad or indifferent for gaming?

Is there any pros, any cons?

Just curious if I should make this move or just stick with windows 7

Comments

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I'm curious too.  I have a windows phone and I absolutely love it. I never thought I would but I do. I'm thinking I'll really like Win8 too, but I'm in the same boat as you. Is it worth upgrading from Win7? The PC shop said that I definetly should because they love it.

Eager to hear more opinions.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The system I'm currently building will have Win 8 on it. Not because I see any particular significant improvement in 8 but because the people who need me to fix their computer are starting to buy Win 8 and I need to know how to take care of their systems.

For a gamer Win 8 is slightly more efficient at using system resources then Win 7/Vista. That is currently about the only reason a gamer has for upgrading.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Grunty

The system I'm currently building will have Win 8 on it. Not because I see any particular significant improvement in 8 but because the people who need me to fix their computer are starting to buy Win 8 and I need to know how to take care of their systems.

For a gamer Win 8 is slightly more efficient at using system resources then Win 7/Vista. That is currently about the only reason a gamer has for upgrading.

Good enough reason for me since I'm forced to game on a Laptop right now. Good laptop, but my Desktop back home was much better.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

If you're getting a new computer, I'd recommend Windows 8 rather than Windows 7.

If you already have an old computer that runs Windows 7, I wouldn't upgrade unless there is some particular Windows 8 feature that you want and Windows 7 doesn't offer it.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you're getting a new computer, I'd recommend Windows 8 rather than Windows 7.

If you already have an old computer that runs Windows 7, I wouldn't upgrade unless there is some particular Windows 8 feature that you want and Windows 7 doesn't offer it.

The biggest draw for me is the $40 price tag.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Grunty

I concur with an emphasis on "slightly." And there's no reason to fear: It's stable and all my games run perfectly.The new Metro interface? Can't really see the point of it on a non touch-screen laptop or desktop. It forces a new way of doing things eliminating some very familiar things like the window closing "X" on the upper right corner of windows, wants to run everything full-screen etc. It can be learnt but the annoying thing is that it doesn't improve on the old way--it's just different.

Bu you don't have to use Metro if you don't want (I just mess with it now and then.) The Windows 7 GUI minus the Start button is just a click away so you can keep working the old familiar way. Even the AWOL Start button can be brought back (I did) with a very nice free utility called "Classic Shell"

If you upgrade and want that Start button back here's the download link for it: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Also, in case you don't know already, buying it as a digital purchase from Microsoft is just $39, not the $69 the box version is going for at Amazon, BB and everywhere else.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The biggest draw for me is the $40 price tag.

You prefer a $40 price tag of upgrading over a $0 price tag of not upgrading?

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    The whole metro UI makes Windows even less usable for actual work. Now it's definitely an OS just for playing around IMHO. But yeah, anyway, I couldn't really work without Windows 7 either. No proper window manager and all.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I will never install it.

Pc gamers buying win 8 is like turkeys buying cranberry sauce for Christmas
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I will never install it.Pc gamers buying win 8 is like turkeys buying cranberry sauce for Christmas

Im with you, its just not worth upgrading at all win7 is good enough for gaming already.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I'm in the "no" crowd. I don't like the new UI and yes, I spent a few weeks with it. I don't like how "apps" are stored in the top left corner hotspot while "programs" are on the desktop taskbar. I could live with the "Metro" UI if I needed to but I don't want "apps" at all. I don't need a cutesy splash-screen when I open an image file, just open the damned thing.  I can't think of any reason to go to 8, for me anyway.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Originally posted by Mundus
    The whole metro UI makes Windows even less usable for actual work. Now it's definitely an OS just for playing around IMHO. But yeah, anyway, I couldn't really work without Windows 7 either. No proper window manager and all.

Not sure what you mean...  I barely use Metro/Modern UI.  It's still pretty much Windows 7.

• cag1980cag1980 Member Posts: 78

Been using Windows 8 for a good few months due to the various release candidates and bought Windows 8 pro for only £25 from the official Windows 8 site, have had no problems what so ever with any game or any program that i use.

Once you get used to the new UI you are fine and there was a slight speed increase from Windows 7, for me.

Seen a few bad reviews for it but most of them boiled down to the reviewer not wanting to get used to a new UI.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Classicstar

I will never install it.Pc gamers buying win 8 is like turkeys buying cranberry sauce for Christmas

Im with you, its just not worth upgrading at all win7 is good enough for gaming already.

Same here, don't see a reason to upgrade. I already have a tablet with Android and I dont need that kind of UI on my desktop.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I have a lot of experience with Windows 8. I installed the beta and used it as my one and only operating system for the last 1-2 months. It took a while to get used to the interface, but I still found it lacking and not worth it in the long run.

Imagine this: You are completely familiar with your local grocery store. You know right where everything is. Your wife asks you to get eggs. When you arrive at the store, you find that it has been completely remodeled. Eggs used to be in the very back of the store. But now they are in the basement! In order to go to the basement, you need to go to the elevator. In order to access the elevator, you need to push the button. In order to go down the elevator, you need to push another button. In order to to retrieve your eggs, you need to walk more to get them. Once you have the eggs, you need to go back to the elevator, push the buttons, walk to the front of the store, and buy them. **** WINDOWS 8!

Windows 8 is nothing but annoying. It was cool during the first 1-3 days because of the unique aesthetic look. However, it quickly became very irritating with all the extra steps and constant searching for things that used to be so easy to access via Windows 95, 98, 98se, XP, and 7.

Games do not run better via Windows 8.

George used to be a rugged and handsome man. His nickname was Windows 7. However, he started waxing his eyebrows, tanning in booths, and left Powerhouse Gym for Curves Gym. His new nickname is Windows 8.

If you're looking for speed and efficiency, Windows 8 is not your friend. If your the type that sits around in coffee shops with a blu-tooth, ipad shirt, and a 100+ friend facebook account, then Windows 8 is for you.

I've also had 3 games that won't install via Windows 8. I know it's new and is in beta, but seriously...   don't do it!

If Windows 8 is a success

Be prepared to pay 50% more for your games, have inferior mod and patch support, and have less of those cool little indie games when win 9 becomes the norm.

Take a stand, don't fall for their bullshit.
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

I've also had 3 games that won't install via Windows 8. I know it's new and is in beta, but seriously...   don't do it!

Yeah? Which ones?

I also don't see the point of metro. I'm all for new things but they have to be better than what they replace in some way. Metro just isn't.

But I run a whole crapload of games and everything runs just as well or marginally better: Skyrim, Dishonored, Xcom (+ any of my 30 or so Steam games,) and the only MMO I'm currently playing, GW2.

Anyhow... there are a crapload of benchmark comparisons of Win7 vs. Win8 out there already (make sure you filter the search and look just at the last month for comparisons using the retail Win8) anyone interested can google them.

Seriously... Metro sucks (but can be avoided)... performance is slightly better.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I don't buy this performance gain stuff

Win 8 Is basicly 2 OSes bodged together with hammers and duct tape
    I don't buy this performance gain stuff

Win 8 Is basicly 2 OSes bodged together with hammers and duct tape

Well... as John Stewart said on the Daily Show a couple of days ago "There's belief and then there's arithmetic"

Here's a link to Tom Hardware's Win8 vs. Win7 gaming benchmarks--just one of many sites that have already done this... read and learn:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331.html

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Yeah? Which ones?

I also don't see the point of metro. I'm all for new things but they have to be better than what they replace in some way. Metro just isn't.

But I run a whole crapload of games and everything runs just as well or marginally better: Skyrim, Dishonored, Xcom (+ any of my 30 or so Steam games,) and the only MMO I'm currently playing, GW2.

Anyhow... there are a crapload of benchmark comparisons of Win7 vs. Win8 out there already (make sure you filter the search and look just at the last month for comparisons using the retail Win8) anyone interested can google them.

Seriously... Metro sucks (but can be avoided)... performance is slightly better.

Boot time and wake from sleep are both noticably better for me.  Application performance is the same.  Any app or game I can install on Win7 has worked on Win8 for including DosBox games from GoG.com.

The modern apps are mostly crap in my opinion, or at least they are for a desktop system.  I like the integration with my Microsoft account and how my settings populate across devices.  Mostly I like how well Office 2013 integrates, but even Office 2010 works well with it.  Office 2013 is a huge improvement for my work.  If I had to make a choice (which I don't) of upgrading to Win8 and using Office 2010 or staying on Win7 and using Office 2013, I would go the latter.  Then again I use Office a lot.

Another tiny improvement for me that never was a huge deal but was a slight annoyance... I have a gaming keyboard with a volume control knob. Under Windows 7 when running full screen games (like any MMO) I always had a slight lag between turning the knob and the volume actually changing in the game. I now have no lag at all.

The boot time difference is significant but hardly a big deal nowadays since most of us put our PCs to sleep instead of turning them off. But yes, even wake from sleep seems faster.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED