Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Learn the Basics in Latest Video

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    I -hate- the way those character models look.  The Argonians look like shit.  I really hope they give us an option to buff up our characters so we don't look like sticks with huge helmets on our heads.  Not sure about any of that animation either...  Not looking so smooth, but hopefully that's just because it's so early in development.  I'm truly worried about character design though, creatures look great...  Player characters, not so much.  If that sucks I won't be playing the game.  It's one of the main reasons I hated SWTOR.

Funny, because I LOVE exactly that.

Given that we have to accept it is a themepark conventional MMO, it seems *really* shaping up good. Granted, we know only the basics, but my initial skepticism has entirely vanished. Yeah, we heard this many times, but I have this gut feeling, this MMO may really be THE next big hit. (Not in WOW size, because WOW simply was one of a kind.)

It has many things I really liked to see and hear:

- Three distinct and interesting factions, for faction pride and replayability because of different zones to level in.

- A really cool and distinctive look. I like this earthen look, that chars don't like like plastic as in SWTOR but not too much like anime as some in GW2. I absolutely love the characters, tho admitted we haven't seen to much detail, the general idea looks good to me.

- I love that some vistas and spots of memory can be seen from Elder Scrolls, like that arch in Skyrim where this dragon temple was and the like. No matter how "realistic" that is, I love that idea totally.

- Tamriel has one of THE best and most interesting lores in all fictioal worlds, IMVPO, on par with Tolkien and Faerun, so I am so happy to see this come true.

- Also the PVP looked really gorgeous. Many players, really crumbling walls, massive battles and large open PVP zone with small and large objectives.

- I loved how the sneaking was actually sneaking as "ducking behind someone" contrary to "being invisible", which is a different thing, a spell. I always hated that about the WOW-rogues how their sneak is essentially an invis thing.

- Not being bound by one class restriction. Cool!

- Three faction PVP as in DAoC = EPIC

- IMO it looks very much like an Elder Scrolls game, and still distinct and unique. NOT cartoonish as SWTOR, thank goodness, not too shrill and colourful as GW2, but down to earth and still wonderful.

- Even combat looks good, not top of the top, but functional and alright.

All in all, looks more promising with every new video. Do youself a favour and watch it in highest quality. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by orbitxo

nice -like what i see!..looks promising!...wonder what engine card they are using to display such great

graphics and textures! -If they implement a 3 or a 4th faction, this is a game ill dig into!

Ehem, there ARE three factions in PVP. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Looks great, I hope it's ready to launch when it launches. If there's one thing this team should take note of from previous mmo launches, have the game polished and with enough + varied content for the best possible first impression. Looking forward to this one!
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948
    I currently can't imagine myself liking TESO, but I would love to be convinced otherwise.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

A little dissapointing, doesn't remind me of TES. Looks more like Rift or many other mmos than TES :(

I really hope they add first person perspective, maybe there isn't a good way to do TES justice in an MMO.

Its also interesting when they showed the pvp massive battle how it looked more like what you see in movies than how it is in mmos. When two big groups clash forces it's never with the front lines going head on full speed like what you see in movies. Its more tentative since folks usually don't want to die, I imagine though that with good leardership that convinces the front lines to start the meele and die for the greater good battles could be won easier, anyways this is of topic at this point just an observation.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Spock:
    Form what I understand lmb is your basic attack
    Held lmb is your power attack
    Rmb is your defence with current weapon set, e.g. parry with 2 hander, block with shield
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Wow the PvP looks epic. But can't help to be reminded of WvW in GW2 :-(

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Just a sidenote: Both are Hero-Engine? So if TESO manages to allow massive battles with so many in PVP, why does SWTOR based on the Hero-Engine not? Biofail?

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Wow the PvP looks epic. But can't help to be reminded of WvW in GW2 :-(

Epic but unhappy smiley? ??

It has similarities, but it looks better in TESO. But then, it's just a vid, what do we know...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Is it me or do the horns on the helmets as well as the crests on the ordinators, look a little large?

In any case, I would SO want this to be a good game but part of me doesn't think they can do it. I'm really going to have to alter my expectations.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Elikal

Just a sidenote: Both are Hero-Engine? So if TESO manages to allow massive battles with so many in PVP, why does SWTOR based on the Hero-Engine not? Biofail?

teso isnt using the hero-engine. 

Originally posted by muffins89

teso isnt using the hero-engine. 

Pfsh... thanks for ruining a perfect slander against swtor. image

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

nice -like what i see!..looks promising!...wonder what engine card they are using to display such great

graphics and textures! -If they implement a 3 or a 4th faction, this is a game ill dig into!

I'm not sure what he's talking about either :P.  Personally though I wish they would have allowed player factions.  I was kind of hoping this game would be the fantasy version of EVE which it's now not looking like it's going to be :(.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Ok nice video but I have a serious issue right now.

I do not like that over the shoulder view of the character, It feels off, and make it look like my character isnt the point of action.  Hope theres a way to move the camera back over my head like a normal 3rd person view.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Beyond impressed.

I'm a massive Elder Scrolls fan and was quite worried that a mmo would harm the franchise as the single player games to me are among the greatest rpg's ever made but after watching this I'm pretty stocked.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This looks amazing and I loved those siege weapons in pvp!
  • jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Cartoony Graphics - Check!

Spamfest Combat - Check!

Terrible Running Animations - Check!

Complete lack of any systems unique to the Elder Scrolls Series ported to new MMO platform - Check! 

None of you find a problem with this?

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Cartoony Graphics - Check!

Spamfest Combat - Check!

Terrible Running Animations - Check!

Complete lack of any systems unique to the Elder Scrolls Series ported to new MMO platform - Check! 

None of you find a problem with this?

the graphics arent cartoony

spamfest combat - just like the single player then

animations - its alpha, all games  have bad animations in alpha, if they look like that in 6 months time id be worried, but not now.

Originally posted by NetSage

I'm not sure what he's talking about either :P.  Personally though I wish they would have allowed player factions.  I was kind of hoping this game would be the fantasy version of EVE which it's now not looking like it's going to be :(.

needs a server with that rulest for us guys, like daoc did

also needs a coop server for our fluffy pure pve friends

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I often wonder where those devs and publishers get their strength and dedication to claim that they'll be the next big thing.

It looks good though...I guess we don't need much to be tempted :-)

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    The most noticable positive I saw in that video is nowhere in the gameplay did I see a (!) anywhere even when they were in the towns.... Oh god could it be true?

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47

The people complaining about graphics are full of it... It looks like elder scrolls. The world is colorful and characters look dark and gritty, battle worn comes to mind. The graphics are breath taking. One I'm going to watch! 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by OnisDE

The people complaining about graphics are full of it... It looks like elder scrolls. The world is colorful and characters look dark and gritty, battle worn comes to mind. The graphics are breath taking. One I'm going to watch! 

The graphics, like almost all recent MMO launches, look REALLY outdated, ESPECIALLY the armor textures and models.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    The most noticable positive I saw in that video is nowhere in the gameplay did I see a (!) anywhere even when they were in the towns.... Oh god could it be true?

Nah, the PvE reeks of WoW, I'm sure they'll have it. The UI was turned off the whole video.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Nah, the PvE reeks of WoW, I'm sure they'll have it. The UI was turned off the whole video.

they've said there will be no !.  you got anything else?

• 4Rm15T4R4Rm15T4R Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I hope that the game retains its first-person view, it gives the game a unique experience and an even greater immersion than other games because the detail to see how you hold the shield, your weapon and cast magic; that gives a "unique flavor"

¿_¿