Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PC gaming done for?

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I've really been excited about some games on the horizon, only to find out they too are to be added to the list of  console exclusives.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not really against consoles themselves, just the fact everything is going console ONLY. They might do that for pirating, they might do it to raise console sales, i dont really care.

What i do care about, is that as a gamer, i have little to no use for my PC anymore. I browse the web, post on forums, look for gaming news, and game. That's about it. With all the games going only to console, i find myself wondering just why i built this big nasty pc. I can do everything i do on a ps3 or xbox. Typing might be abit funky at first, but like the old cell phone button scheme, i'll figure it out quickly and it wont be an issue.

Hell even mmo's are going to consoles, and thats really the last straw for me. This makes me pretty sad actually, PC gaming is where it started for me.

So where does this head? Eventually, no more games for PC, right? MMO's might hang for awhile, but honestly, i dont know if they are for me anymore, havent stuck with one for a long period of time in forever. Maybe they will head to consoles as well.

As a PC gamer getting his first taste of the bad side of consoles, i worry how long itll be. If me, a pretty avid computer gamer, find myself in this position, how long will it be before everyone is?

Worried man....worried and sad.

EDITED to clarify: I own a ps3 and a wii. I have ample games for both. The post is supposed to convey how i feel pc's are phasing out gaming wise, not that i hate consoles.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I haven't bought a console since the NES. I have no intention of ever buying a console. I might rethink that if Microsoft really does try to make it's current open operating system into a closed one like Apple's.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

People have been asking for what feels like decades "is PC gaming dieing?".

I don't see it happening now, or any time soon, but that's just me. There is still plenty to do on a PC, but there will always be console exclusives as well. Don't let it get to you, the sky isn't falling.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Grunty
    I haven't bought a console since the NES. I have no intention of ever buying a console. I might rethink that if Microsoft really does try to make it's current open operating system into a closed one like Apple's.

While it'd be nice to go 'To hell with it, boycotting gaming until they release for pc!" i am still above all a gamer, and i have to go where the games go. works the same with money, drugs, whatever.

I cant imagine how many great games youve missed because of not wanting a console...

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Toxia

While it'd be nice to go 'To hell with it, boycotting gaming until they release for pc!" i am still above all a gamer, and i have to go where the games go. works the same with money, drugs, whatever.

I cant imagine how many great games youve missed because of not wanting a console...

I don't doubt that I've missed good games. I will still not buy a console for the same reason I won't buy an Apple system. They are closed systems with heavy control over what the owner of the system will allow. I'm not boycotting the games. I'm boycottting the closed systems.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You always got Linux. Has a bit of a learning gap but there are many versions becomign more user friendly and if microsoft tries to make it closed it just might mean Linux support might be emphasized, till then you can always take advantage of wine. 

As for the topic, I doubt it. If anything, you might see a shift in more 'tablet' games, but over-all I can't see PCs phasing out to consoles at least.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Yes. PC gaming is dying.

The poster who said "theyhave been saying it for decades" makes my head hurt... The apex of PC gaming was the mid to late 1990s and (honestly) its been going downhill since then.

PC gaming is moving towards casual, F2P farmville type games... Very few PC exclusive games anymore outside those arenas. MMOs are (for the moment) the only thing left for the PC and those will be slowly phased top consoles.

-I personally love PC gaming and far prefer it- been gaming on a PC since the Commodore 64. Yes, its dying- And badly. Most "PC" games of note are console ports now.

Sad but true...

EDIT- Let me add though that this is going to be a chance for GOOD indies to rise up- I hope this happens. AAA games is what I am refering to.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I do all of my gaming on the PC, even games that are popular on the consoles.  I don't see PC gaming going anywhere soon.  I do see consoles evolving into computers though.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Robokapp

quite the contrary, it's very saturated and so the market is growing outside of it.

The video game industry is one of those important, high-tech economic drivers. Our industry generates over $25 billion in annual revenue, and directly and indirectly employs more than 120,000 people with an average salary for direct employees of $90,000."

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

I read through that, that seems to be gaming in general, as they lump console and pc gaming together.

I'd be interested to see something more akin to a chart showing console games vs pc games released per year. That way we could see if pc games are coming out at the same rate they were 5 ,10 years ago, etc.

Because from what i can tell, we are losing ground fast. i'll dig around abit and maybe find something to prove my point abit better

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

They won't. That rumor was put down with a vengeance pretty fast.

I read through that, that seems to be gaming in general, as they lump console and pc gaming together.

I'd be interested to see something more akin to a chart showing console games vs pc games released per year. That way we could see if pc games are coming out at the same rate they were 5 ,10 years ago, etc.

Because from what i can tell, we are losing ground fast. i'll dig around abit and maybe find something to prove my point abit better

I'd be amazed if it wasn't a higher rate than 10 years ago, or if there were fewer PC gamers. A lower percentage of gamers are PC gamers, for sure, but that is happening as the pool of total gamers swells tremendously. The actual count has to be going up.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    I can't agree with you after I just looked at Steam. Maybe there's a couple of games you want to play badly but are unfortunately console exclusive (God of War, Halo 4, Uncharted, etc.) that drove you to write this rant.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    I can't agree with you after I just looked at Steam. Maybe there's a couple of games you want to play badly but are unfortunately console exclusive (God of War, Halo 4, Uncharted, etc.) that drove you to write this rant.

I guess you are saying you opened steam and looked at the list of games? clarify please

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

good point, i looked too.

Steam has about 5 mil concurrent users( people logged in, NOT playing-steam running in background)

PSN(one console network) has over 80 million users. thats one console network. thats not xbox live or whatever.

And im not ranting, i said what i had to say, and am open to discussion...i'd like nothing more than to be wrong

EDIT: Forum post states steam has 14 mil registered accounts, from mid 2011.

I should have mentioned that I also think it sucks I have to buy a console to play some very interesting games. Aside from having a Wii emulator, I don't own a 7th gen console.

Steam is just one of the many distribution channels though. Like I said, just browsing the Steam games for the PC I find it hard to be worried. Lots of indie PC exclusive and AAA multiplats available. There's simply A LOT of games listed there that I haven't played yet.

Besides, it would look pitiful for the consoles if PC has equalled them in games library or gamer population, considering their sole purpose is for playing videogames (and playing DVD/Blu-ray media LOL).

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

I have a 360, a PS3, and even a Wii.

99% of my gaming is still on the PC. 

Every year since arcades first sprang up everywhere, I've heard the familiar "PC gaming is dying!" moan.

And every year, I've laughed.

PC isn't going anywhere, if anything consoles are.

Have you not noticed it's the consoles always trying to be PC's, adding browsers and Facebook and all the other crap? Not the other way around. Because they are trying to make pc's obsolete for gaming? as i said in my op, why would i use a pc if im gaming on the console and can just browse the web there.

And eventually, there will be a console that does every single thing a PC does. And thus, the console will finally just be a PC.

And then you know what happens? We will buy a new PC every other year? Have to buy three of em to play all the games we want?

We get to finally declare the PC the undisputed winner in the console wars. ^

Your post is funny lol.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

good point, i looked too.

Steam has about 5 mil concurrent users( people logged in, NOT playing-steam running in background)

PSN(one console network) has over 80 million users. thats one console network. thats not xbox live or whatever.

And im not ranting, i said what i had to say, and am open to discussion...i'd like nothing more than to be wrong

EDIT: Forum post states steam has 14 mil registered accounts, from mid 2011.

I should have mentioned that I also think it sucks I have to buy a console to play some very interesting games. Aside from having a Wii emulator, I don't own a 7th gen console.

Steam is just one of the many distribution channels though. Like I said, just browsing the Steam games for the PC I find it hard to be worried. Lots of indie PC exclusive and AAA multiplats available. There's simply A LOT of games listed there that I haven't played yet.

Besides, it would look pitiful for the consoles if PC has equalled them in games library or gamer population, considering their sole purpose is for playing videogames (and playing DVD/Blu-ray media LOL).

yeah, i dont think you were even talking about user numbers, but game count numbers. deleted the post and asked for clarification lol.

Anyways, yes, steam has an enormous amount of pc games. definetely :)

I guess i have too many console exclusive friends, and them all gushing about something i know would be better on pc gets me.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Nope.  The main reason is that console makers charge such high prices for companies to develop games on them.  Hence the absurd prices on console games and the lemmings that pay such prices.  This leaves a nice market for the PC.

But there is an alarming trend of games being made for consoles and getting half ass ports to the PC.  I see most console games as being more rental quality than purchase quality.  FPS, RTS and MMOs are simply better suited to PCs.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Yes. PC gaming is dying.

The poster who said "theyhave been saying it for decades" makes my head hurt... The apex of PC gaming was the mid to late 1990s and (honestly) its been going downhill since then.

PC gaming is moving towards casual, F2P farmville type games... Very few PC exclusive games anymore outside those arenas. MMOs are (for the moment) the only thing left for the PC and those will be slowly phased top consoles.

-I personally love PC gaming and far prefer it- been gaming on a PC since the Commodore 64. Yes, its dying- And badly. Most "PC" games of note are console ports now.

Sad but true...

EDIT- Let me add though that this is going to be a chance for GOOD indies to rise up- I hope this happens. AAA games is what I am refering to.

I disagree totally with you on this, i play only pc games of all sort. I play all of them with mouse and keyboard, i rarely play console port games on pc. From fps, rpg, rts, uuzzle, mmo, turn based game etc etc etc are all pc friendly.

There is too much pc games out there to play them all, so seriously i dont see where pc gaming is dying. Yes some titles are exclusive to console but i seriously dont care, in any case must of them are console and pc.

• PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Yes. PC gaming is dying.

@Saint  -Seriously?  You put the pinnicle of gaming before the latter EQ explosion and the rise of WOW, Star Craft, and PC shooters?  Seriously? PC gaming was teenagers and nerds before 2003, remember that?  Wow literally brought gaming to the masses.  I remember whole families, 3 generations no less, going buck wild by the time cataclysm came out and kids were keeling over dead in Star Craft laden cafes. (I'm no wow fanboy, either, its just the facts)

Anyway, to the OP's point; corporate game manufacturers like to keep us upgrading and so they diversify the output of games they hype so you have to spend money.  That's it.  Its a matter of marketing that has you drooling over exclusive titles. Gamers themselves would take over development if PC platform markets were phased out anyway, but again, thats's not the goal of those making the decisions.  They just want your money and they know the psychology of the grass is always greener.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Nope.  The main reason is that console makers charge such high prices for companies to develop games on them.  Hence the absurd prices on console games and the lemmings that pay such prices.  This leaves a nice market for the PC.

But there is an alarming trend of games being made for consoles and getting half ass ports to the PC.  I see most console games as being more rental quality than purchase quality.  FPS, RTS and MMOs are simply better suited to PCs.

So it leaves a nice market for dev's without enough financial backing to launch on consoles? seems like a step down, as far as quality. then again, havent seen much quality from the greats here lately anyways...good point, in any case.

i agree to the green completely. Tried playing Darksiders 2 with the pc controls. omg. had to actually plug in a controller to even enjoy that game, and i find it to be an awesome game lol

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Pc gaming  ? Never.  MMo gamng on the other hand could be.
  • Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Before I built my first PC in 2010 I only used the PC for  MMO's. After Gamestop stopped giving good returns on Games. I just gave up on Consoles pushing out good games this Gen. The games are too short! i mean really 5-6 hours for a 60-70 usd game now a days when i can wait a month and get the same PC game for about 20-29 usd or even go with Gamefly! So no PC gaming is going nowhere!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I've had every console since the NES and if I were asked to choose between all of those and a current PC - PC wins.

I can play all the classic console games up to PS2 on it and most of the current games I'm interested in.

Even if there weren't any MMOs, there's stuff like LOL, BF3, CS and other PC stalwarts (i know some are multiplatform, but come on, I can play FPS as well on a joypad as the next guy but it'll never be the same).

I haven't touched my X360/PS3 in months.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I've really been excited about some games on the horizon, only to find out they too are to be added to the list of  console exclusives.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not really against consoles themselves, just the fact everything is going console ONLY. They might do that for pirating, they might do it to raise console sales, i dont really care.

What i do care about, is that as a gamer, i have little to no use for my PC anymore. I browse the web, post on forums, look for gaming news, and game. That's about it. With all the games going only to console, i find myself wondering just why i built this big nasty pc. I can do everything i do on a ps3 or xbox. Typing might be abit funky at first, but like the old cell phone button scheme, i'll figure it out quickly and it wont be an issue.

Hell even mmo's are going to consoles, and thats really the last straw for me. This makes me pretty sad actually, PC gaming is where it started for me.

So where does this head? Eventually, no more games for PC, right? MMO's might hang for awhile, but honestly, i dont know if they are for me anymore, havent stuck with one for a long period of time in forever. Maybe they will head to consoles as well.

As a PC gamer getting his first taste of the bad side of consoles, i worry how long itll be. If me, a pretty avid computer gamer, find myself in this position, how long will it be before everyone is?

Worried man....worried and sad.

EDITED to clarify: I own a ps3 and a wii. I have ample games for both. The post is supposed to convey how i feel pc's are phasing out gaming wise, not that i hate consoles.

Why is it that when some gamers don't like a game, they not only have to prove to themselves that everyone else doesn't like it but that the entire industry is in a downward spiral because of it.

That this post comes at the conclusion of a year that was predicted to and proved to have rising PC sales and declining console sales just makes it more amusing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

I haven't owned a console since the sega mega drive/genesis. I refuse to buy a modern console till they improve the hardware they use/make them more reliable. No amount of exclusive games releases has made me consider otherwise. The failure rate of consoles can be a right joke. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

no its not done for at all..

I own an xbox 360 but have literally brought two games for it over the 3 yaers i have had it.. Forza 4 and a boxing game.. Infact it has not been turned on for months.

Yet on the PC i have brought over 300 games since i have owned the xbox..

Also there are some awesome indie games coming to PC and also some really big titles funded by kickstarter that are going to be PC exclusive and will probally never see a console because the consoles out there are not good enough to run the games..

PC gaming is far from dead and im pretty sure over the next few years we will see a surge of PC only games..