Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

(?) Most The Elder Scrolls players play it on Consoles (PS3/360)

MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,258Member Uncommon
Looking at the talk lately against TESO, I notice comments seem to come up in regarding TES

people asking why this game isnt coming to the Consoles.

seem to be the opposite of the argument against Dust 514 on many of the same online communities.

TES series was popular for being a PC game. But I believe much of its current gen success have come from the Consoles population rather than its PC population.

many may over look this of course, or may not want to accept that.

but I could be wrong of course.

But if Theory is correct, I could see how many Console TES fans, wouldnt be interested in a MMO based on the TES series. Console Gamers tend not to be fans of large scale multiplayer games of any kind. MMO or Non-MMO. doesnt matter.
Also Console Gamers are not fond of Sub model.
And being that its a PC game, Console gamers arent fond of Keyboard/Mouse Gaming (of course there are exceptions)

I believe this may be the stem of most of the TESO hate.

WoW on other gaming communities, like EQ have become negative terms, and people tend to be calling TESO a WoW clone on these communities.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Looking at the talk lately against TESO, I notice comments seem to come up in regarding TES

seem to be the opposite of the argument against Dust 514 on many of the same online communities.

TES series was popular for being a PC game. But I believe much of its current gen success have come from the Consoles population rather than its PC population.

But if Theory is correct, I could see how many Console TES fans, wouldnt be interested in a MMO based on the TES series. Console Gamers tend not to be fans of large scale multiplayer games of any kind. MMO or Non-MMO. doesnt matter.
    And being that its a PC game, Console gamers arent fond of Keyboard/Mouse Gaming (of course there are exceptions)

WoW on other gaming communities, like EQ have become negative terms, and people tend to be calling TESO a WoW clone on these communities.

oblivion and skyrim sold way more console copies, especially oblivion (it was a shoddy port to the pc with a horribel console control scheme)

Morrowind was more PC than XBox

the older games were pure PC

• SlickShoesSlickShoes EdinburghPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon
    I have Skyrim on Steam for farting about with mods but I put most of my time in on Xbox, I would play an ES MMO on PC but I think it's something that would do well on consoles, there are tonnes of people I know that love Skyrim and Oblivion and are completely unaware of it's existence on PC.

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

of course more people play skyrim on consoles.

i do think you make a good point as i seen that same hate for SWTOR before it came out.

that said, i don't think those exclusive console gamers are their target customers, even though they are the majority.

also, those type of gamers are not down for subscription fees.

Originally posted by SlickShoes
    I have Skyrim on Steam for farting about with mods but I put most of my time in on Xbox, I would play an ES MMO on PC but I think it's something that would do well on consoles, there are tonnes of people I know that love Skyrim and Oblivion and are completely unaware of it's existence on PC.

would a console be able to handle skyrim with 200 players on the screen?

i am sure the new consoles will start having mmo's on them.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Danbury, DEPosts: 390Member Uncommon

All of the hate surrounding TESO is because the IP is tailor made for a massive, sandbox type MMO like SWG.  In the single player games you have freedom to do anything you want, freedom to build you character anyway you want, freedom to explore anywhere you want, and freedom to just wander around and not even do the main storyline.  I didn't even touch on the massive player mod community.

What they have shown so far is basically Guild Wars 2 in the TES world with DAOC like factions that restrict who you are and what you can do.

There are about 40 or so MMOs that you can play right now and pretty much all of them are the same themepark type MMO that has lingered too long in this genre.

It's not a console/PC thing.  It's a "Im sick and tired of playing the same damn MMO" thing.  That is why when this game was announced it was panned by most gaming sites as another WOW clone, same thing with the posts here and on the official site.

In fact, I cannot remember a single MMO that was announced that had such a negative reaction to it, and I think the developers were shocked that there was such negative feedback.

The game has been in development for too long to change the entire premise, so they are stuck trying to polish a WOW clone.  Their problem was they started developing this game right at the end of the "hey, WOW is a pretty darn good MMO" era.  Sounded great at the time, but as of now the gaming public has no real interest in this game....but we all know we will still buy and play it because there is a chance, no matter how small, that this could really be a great game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Redlands, CAPosts: 3,675Member
    The last ES game I played on the PC was Morrowind.  I have Oblivion and Skyrim on the Xbox.  While you can't mod the crap out of them, I honestly prefer it that way.  Whatever the next ES game they put out, I will be getting it on a console.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member

I dont believe in the terms console gamer or pc gamer tbh, gamers are gamers and good games are good games, the system theyre run on doesnt matter. Console versions sell well because they will pretty much run well without having to upgrade or fiddle with settings

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    And the UI from oblivion onwards just wors better with an xbox controller (skyrim is a bit more pc friendly)
  • muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    more people own consoles.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

Since Oblivion - yes.  With Oblivion TES started to have majority of it's playerbase on console.  

I think even Bethseda was surprised with how Oblivion was popular on consoles especially since Morrowind while sold very much ok on Xbox still had highest success on PC. 

Anyway Oblivion success resulted in Skyrim being developed with consoles in mind first.  UI, hand-holding and streamlining mechanic 'prove' that.  This is also partially what increased Skyrim financial success.

Of course TES PC community is still strong. Lack of sandbox PC rpg's and being a single player game which allows relatively easy modding sustain that fact.  I am not sure how long that will be sustainable.   Next single player TES game will be even more streamlined and will be even more made for consoles because ~85% Skyrim sales were on consoles.

Same thing mean that TESO will end up sooner or later on new-gen consoles that will releae in 2013 or 2014.   Zenimax and it's priate equity owners surely see same thing that anyone else can see. Most sales of Skyrim and propably Oblivion is consoles.

• ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon

Consoles will always get more sales, or at least often enough for the landslide of dev's to produce for those consoles exclusively.

Sad to say, but this might be the last gaming PC i make. Might be the last one i own period. New consoles will do everything i do on my pc-watch videos, browse forums, play games, etc. The more conveinence they put into the consoles, the less ill need my pc period

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by deakon
    I dont believe in the terms console gamer or pc gamer tbh, gamers are gamers and good games are good games, the system theyre run on doesnt matter. Console versions sell well because they will pretty much run well without having to upgrade or fiddle with settings

its not the games that are so different rather than the way we play them. console gamers are the majority and they are used to playing with controller pads.

usually console gamers only game on a console, that is the issue. of course they are not going to want to go out and buy a PC or get a better one that they got just so they can play the online version of ES.

most of us game on PC's already so its not an issue there.

• deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by baphamet

its not the games that are so different rather than the way we play them. console gamers are the majority and they are used to playing with controller pads.

usually console gamers only game on a console, that is the issue. of course they are not going to want to go out and buy a PC or get a better one that they got just so they can play the online version of ES.

Most households have a pc these days, so thats not an issue and like most mmo's it will be made to run on low/mid range machines in order to sell well.

PC exclusives can do very well but cross platform titles will always sell more on console because their simpler to set up and play

Edit: also with it only having 6 hotbar buttons playing it on an xbox pad should be as easy as plugging in an xbox pad

• squalleonahasqualleonaha miss, ONPosts: 211Member

i like TES because of story and mostly because the world where everything scaled huge and big.

as i've seen the TESO trailer, i think they have to scaled the world down smaller to fit huge number of player traver at one time. it's kind of let down to me. i dont like that and dont want to ruin TES exp from console. migh not buy TESO

bethesa should just make a console version but allow up to 5 people connecting with each others

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 985Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

oblivion and skyrim sold way more console copies, especially oblivion (it was a shoddy port to the pc with a horribel console control scheme)

Morrowind was more PC than XBox

the older games were pure PC

Very interesting.  I played Morrowind on XBOX (and is still my favorite game ever), and it got me into the Elder Scrolls.  I loved it.

I played Oblivion and Skyrim on pc, and while it has a ton of mods to choose from, there's just something that's not right for me.  Great games, nonetheless.  I think if I had a 360, I'd have gotten it on console, but I've forsaken consoles for the time being and play everything on the pc.  Maybe I'll get a 360 controller and see if that ddoes anything for me regarding Skyrim.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Beverly hills, CAPosts: 152Member
    Skyrim on PC connected to hdtv with 360 controller, 1080p, and custom mods was the best of both worlds. Same for Xcom.

Best graphics possible, better resolution than the consoles, while giving the comfort of playing as if it were the console version.

I can never go back to playing an inferior console version when my PC supports console controls on the same big screen, with more content available. Plus steams big picture makes it even better. Also have the option to use keyboard and mouse if the desire strikes. Consoles are just to locked down and don't offer enough options.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,258Member Uncommon

Most households have a pc these days, so thats not an issue and like most mmo's it will be made to run on low/mid range machines in order to sell well.

PC exclusives can do very well but cross platform titles will always sell more on console because their simpler to set up and play

Edit: also with it only having 6 hotbar buttons playing it on an xbox pad should be as easy as plugging in an xbox pad

That's not the point. PC gamers have a different mindset from Console gamers, in theory. Many console gamers who play FPS hardcore, don't like Large Scale FPS like say, a MMOFPS does. Also they may be intimidated by mouse and keyboard controls, since they are use to their Controller. Yeah you can plug in controller to lots of PC games, but most console gamers don't see it that way.

also in the console Communities the term MMO is a negative. Like stated above, large scale FPS is a negative in the console community. Games like WoW and EQ are known by name on these communities, as bad terms, like Themepark is used as a negative term on MMO forums.

many console fans of TES games which gave TES most of its hype this generation, won't go out of their way to get a PC game, espcially a PC game that is large scale (meaning you play with many at all times), has a Sub fee (meaning you have to pay monthly just to play) and again, is a MMO (like WoW and EQ are which many console gamers see as being addict crazy kind of games)

Also many of these gamers aren't going to go out their way to get a PC that can run the game decently.

Lke the other poster mentioned. This was a similar issue Bioware had with SWTOR. Bioware being popular on the console community for their Single Player console Story driven RPGs.

but that mindset that made you popular on Consoles to the Console gamer, won't work the same way in the MMO community.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,193Member Uncommon
    TESO is going to have plenty of pvp.  It is a well known fact that unless you have mouse and keyboard attached to your console, you will generally get owned by anyone on a PC with similar skill. Only really dedicated gamers have such on their console, hence why they are making it for a PC.  Many games keep the console base and the PC base separate for this reason.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon

I hated dcuo because of the ui, and how console it was.  All I can say is if I wanted to play a game on a console I would, I have an xbox 360 and hardly ever use the stupid thing.  I am not much of a console gamer, and when folks screw up a good IP like DCUO with going after multiple platforms I don't want to see the same thing happen with other games.

• RaysheRayshe London, ONPosts: 1,284Member
    Sorry TES games are simply better on PC then console. the Modability of that game has seen to that.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by deakon I dont believe in the terms console gamer or pc gamer tbh, gamers are gamers and good games are good games, the system theyre run on doesnt matter. Console versions sell well because they will pretty much run well without having to upgrade or fiddle with settings
      its not the games that are so different rather than the way we play them. console gamers are the majority and they are used to playing with controller pads. usually console gamers only game on a console, that is the issue. of course they are not going to want to go out and buy a PC or get a better one that they got just so they can play the online version of ES. most of us game on PC's already so its not an issue there.

yes but how many of them actually game on their PC? most console gamers that i know and from what i have read on the forums, they are not interested in PC games unless they already game on their PC.

especially if their PC is not already set up to their entertainment center in their front room hooked up with surround sound and whatnot.

i do agree they could make a controller a viable option since there is only 6 hot buttons but then again you have the issue with running a game on an older console that has only 512 mb of memory that is designed to have 200 players on the screen.

the new consoles that come out will be able to do it but these current ones just don't have the memory to do it.

not a game like TESO at least, they would have to dumb down the graphics tremendously i would think.

• bigronbigron Brooklyn, NYPosts: 42Member

OP, I tend to agree.

TES was a beardy PC game series. Then came Oblivion. TES is now a very good (but more casual) console RPG series. Just look at the UI, it's designed for consoles. Even using hotbars (like in Morrowind) is difficult. The mods aren't really anything special anymore. These modding communities are nothing like the heyday of NWN or UT or something (which isn't to say modding's dead - look at Minecraft).

Bethesda is pretty solid. I love Morrowind, I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3, and I really liked Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas. Of course, except for Morrowind, I played all of them on consoles.

The Hero engine put me off to this project honestly. I heard they're using the Skyrim engine now. IDK, I think that's probably even worse. I can't see a modern console style single-player RPG engine as the basis for an MMORPG. I don't even like playing Oblivion or SKyrim on my PC, how can I play something like this?

Sure, there are games that have made this work e.g. DCUO, but I see them as more of the exception than the rule. IDK, how do you think combat will play out? Is it 3rd person or FP?

• AmsaiAmsai Montgomery, ALPosts: 88Member Uncommon

First of all, as an life-long console gamer, I would fucking love to see this game on console. But that being said, I will say that what the OP states does have some merit to it. I am 37 and played almost exclusively on console from age 10. For many of those years I not only despised PC gaming, I also hated PC gamers (different values and attitudes on what made a good game). For instance playing Final Fantasy I was my introduction into RPGs, but when I went to some kids house and was introduced to A Bards Tale, I was disgusted.

Flash forward a few years, and I am intoduced to EQ. This was the crucial point for me where I became very divided and specific with my tastes in games. From that point on I still played everything (even if there was a PC version) on console except for MMOs. However, when EQ Adventures and FFXI came out for console, guess which platform I ignored again? Now here I am waiting on FFXIV:ARR hoping the devs got a clue this time so that I can get back to being addicted to an MMO that I play forever, on console!!!!

These days I dont really care if a person is a console gamer or PC gamer, and I dont care if I play a game on PC or console. Just as long as I can use a gamepad. Now, I'm not sure if that is because I'm the odd console gamer or if its more wide-spread due to the normalization of PCs and fast pace of technology.  But judging by the success of FFXI at least, Id say there are plenty of console gamers that would love to play MMOs on console and would happily pay a sub for it. And I know I would, because I have been and plan to for FFXIV as of now. People will always pay for a quality product PC or console, but it has to be a quality product and not cater too much to things that piss off PC players like crappy console menu UIs. Or things that piss off Console players like not making thier game time feel productive. Even if FFXIV does do well though, I would still love to see other console MMO options available such as TESO (drooling over the Thives Guild and Dark Brotherhood possibilities, especially if they tie them into PvP).

As for what I do in between console MMOs, I use a gamepad on PC MMOs even if I have to xpadder to remap the buttons. I can play well enough with kb and mouse, but its not comfortable or fun for me so I dont. So with the tech for consoles getting better, and with games like GW2 and NWO and TESO using fewer buttons for combat I have faith that soon enough the mmo console market will begin to accelerate (sooner or later). Not that I need fewer buttons, I have played WoW and other games using a gamepad and got 50 plus skills accessible using the shoulder buttons as shift keys.

And no, it usually doesnt hamper me for PvP. Most MMOs I play noone knows that I use a gamepad, the few times I have mentioned it the player is usually suprised that I play so well (LOL?) Its not near the handicap people make it out to be. Now I am not trying to make a which is better argument out of this, cause I dont care. And maybe I have "special" gamepad skill cause I have used it on PC games not designed for it for years (using right analog stick for aiming/mouse). But lets not make gamepad vs kb and mouse an issue of "why it wont work", til less people quit dying from this gamepad user in Aion, Tera, and GW2 PvP >.>

I know I went a bit off target here and there, but I thought maybe some of you would like to hear from an actual hardcore  console gamer (currently replaying Metal Gear Solid 2, Currently playing Assassins Creed III, contemplating Dishonored and looking forward to 3 or so MMOs).

• SilokSilok Mascouche, QCPosts: 732Member

I dont think more people play these games on console, i dont konw the sales for console and pc, but i know that pc games are craked easily, and a lots of pc user dont buy them but download them, so the sales cant be a good statistics for this..

Most of my friends are console player, they do buy the game, play for a few days and go sell it back to ebgames. Does that mean that more console player play this games? I dont think so.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

I didn't answer the poll.  I play it on PC, but I use a wired Xbox 360 controller.  Morrowind was my first ES game, mostly due to lack of exposure and budget.  After playing that game on a controller, I never looked back.  IMO, controllers are something the next gen of MMOs will need to support.  I don't need 150 keys in a game when the basic functionality remains:  press appropriate key at appropriate time.  Why add confusion and clunkiness?

I love PC though.  I just got a PS3 last week, and it made me love PC more.  Locked control and resolution options?  I am not saying what game, but I am looking at you, CCP, with a big fat WTF!?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.