Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the genre being taken over by the F2P Game?

I started this thread to consider a possibility that more and more seems like an inevitable result of the most recent gaming trends...further supported by the successes of F2P games within the past few years. I was wondering what other people thought, based on recent releases: Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Aion...and many others that have switched from a subscription base to F2P models. I know this F2P strategy is nothing new; however, it is new to our most popular titles. With the addition of "item marts" as a way for a gaming manufacturer to accrue profit, do you think this new convention represents the future of the MMORPG, to soon replace the old monthly subscription method?

Or, perhaps, could it be a passing trend that eventually looses its popularity?

Let us now consider the pros and cons of F2P versus subscription based gaming.

Can you read slant-lettered words without moving squint-strained lips?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I hope there is room for all kinds of payment models. I want my achievements to be gained through playing the game so I prefer a set monthly fee for access and everything I get after that to be based on how well I play the game or how much effort I put in, I don't want to have to face the prospect of a cash shop interfering. It is obvious that where there is a cash shop there is a game designed to nickel and dime you, even if not P2W, people say it's just for convenience but the lack of convenience is put into the game deliberately so you hand over those nickels.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by fetarnox

I started this thread to consider a possibility that more and more seems like an inevitable result of the most recent gaming trends...further supported by the successes of F2P games within the past few years. I was wondering what other people thought, based on recent releases: Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Aion...and many others that have switched from a subscription base to F2P models. I know this F2P strategy is nothing new; however, it is new to our most popular titles. With the addition of "item marts" as a way for a gaming manufacturer to accrue profit, do you think this new convention represents the future of the MMORPG, to soon replace the old monthly subscription method?

Or, perhaps, could it be a passing trend that eventually looses its popularity?

Let us now consider the pros and cons of F2P versus subscription based gaming.

Based on the title of the thread:  Are you under the impression that the genre is somehow seperate from f2p?

Based on your post.  F2p is not a trend or fad, it is more popular right now.  However it has been since before UO. 

It will never completely replace subscription but will remain as a viable alternative.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Diablo 3 is not in the same genre as Aion and GW2, but just beraly. Kinda speaks volumes of mmorpg genre, but anyway.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    I hope there is room for all kinds of payment models. I want my achievements to be gained through playing the game so I prefer a set monthly fee for access and everything I get after that to be based on how well I play the game or how much effort I put in, I don't want to have to face the prospect of a cash shop interfering. It is obvious that where there is a cash shop there is a game designed to nickel and dime you, even if not P2W, people say it's just for convenience but the lack of convenience is put into the game deliberately so you hand over those nickels.

This.

Is why I hope that some games might stay p2p and maybe few others will have p2p servers. One-flat and no microtransactions or others way to use $ in-game directly or indrectly.

Surely f2p and similar ones will not disappear though.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Since we're on the topic, it's so ridiculously silly when people complain about video games going free.

It's as if they LIKE giving away their hard earned money to big corporations.

I dislike F2P models solely because many of them seek to exploit people with poor impulse control, bad budgeting, and addictive (gambling-type) personalities.

There should actually be a limit to the amount of money you can spend every month in any F2P cash shop, simply to avoid the two biggest flaws:

1) Rich people with infinite money spending ridiculous amounts to get endless and extremely large advantages (even non-competitive) in the game. Cash shops are great, if <1% don't purchase so much that it destroys all balance within the game.

2) Impulsive people without infinite money spending ridiculous amounts out of poor impulse control and bad decision making skills. Exploiting these gamers is NOT a moral or ethical thing to do. Corporations should be prevented from exploiting people who can't help themselves due to a flaw or disability.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

I do not mind games like league of legends where you can be at a competitive equality relatively soon in game play and only have to unlock sideways power with money or looks.

I absolutely hate what P2W or pay for extremely large convience games offer because of how much it shifts designs around it. I get why the trend is like this....but its absolutely imersion breaking for me.