Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we make a list of Non-Cartoon MMORPG games?

Man, i am tired of this cartoonish kind of MMO publishers are making this days.

Can we make a list of good MMOs that uses Realistic or something else instead?

Has to be 3D hehehe otherwise we will start talking about old games :)

I can't find any really to start listing.

Help me out, please.

Ohhh, by the way, i searched the forum about this, coulden't find nothing of the kind.

Thanks

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's either stylized or suffers from the "Uncanny Valley".  This will be the case for 3D games for quite some time.
  • eramireseramires Member Posts: 8

Thanks for your reply : )

HUmmmmm,  is this kind of thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

I diden't know the term, it was nice to learn about it, very interesting.

But i don't know, Skyrim for example, is not cartoonish.

Why they don't do stuff like this for MMO? or Fallout, for example.

There is a lot of single player games that can be found with no cartoon thing.

I don't know, just saying. :)

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56
    That is actually insanely interesting..... Especially because I know I was a little revolted by a YouTube video I saw of a human-like robot prototype teaching a class in Japan.

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

Realism works OK until the game shows the characters talking.  Accurate animations are still far away as well though.

There are plenty of MMOs that go the "realistic" route such as Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings Online.

Guild Wars 2 is kind of in the middle to me.  It's highly stylized but mostly "realistic".

Originally posted by delimeat567
    That is actually insanely interesting..... Especially because I know I was a little revolted by a YouTube video I saw of a human-like robot prototype teaching a class in Japan.

A good example to me is "Polar Express".  It's not as creepy as many of the realistic japanese robots, but it's still unsettling none the less.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Realism works OK until the game shows the characters talking.  Accurate animations are still far away as well though.

There are plenty of MMOs that go the "realistic" route such as Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings Online.

Guild Wars 2 is kind of in the middle to me.  It's highly stylized but mostly "realistic".

I thought Half life 2 nailed the believable characters talking thing years ago.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I thought Half life 2 nailed the believable characters talking thing years ago.

Half life 2 is in the middle between realistic and stylized too, i guess.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    It's either stylized or suffers from the "Uncanny Valley".  This will be the case for 3D games for quite some time.

It wasn't a problem for Vanguard or Darkfall or Dark Age of Camelot, or EQ2, or Age of Conan.

Those are some of the only recent non cartoon MMOs I can think of.

Thanks Davis i will check then out.

: )

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It wasn't a problem for Vanguard or Darkfall or Dark Age of Camelot, or EQ2, or Age of Conan.

At least Vanguard and EQ2 of those games are actually infamous for their horrible visual style, the only one of those that I can honestly say nailed the realistic representation is Age of Conan.

Yeah i diden't know how to call it at first. : ) but stylized it is.

But there are some that is too much cartoony. 

Like SWTOR, ESO, STO, WOW.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well the most obvious games would be The Secret World and AoC.  Also Lotro and VG's environments aren't super cartoony.  I never played AO but that doesn't look like a cartoon either.  

I'm sick to death of stylized/cartoony fantasy games as well.  Everytime I see that upcoming Wildstar game I cringe.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Generally agree.  Although the running animations in VG, with all that hip sashaying is definately on the far side of the valley.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

*shrug*

I love the cartoony stylized MMOs.  Then again I grew up playing SNES 16bit sprite-based RPGs.

Vanguard was the most realistic MMO in terms of gameplay.  But yes the character models were beat with an ugly stick.  I'd consider EQ2 Hyper stylized.  So stylized they try to look realistic.  Great game but couldnt get past that (and the 7 hotbars for combat!)

Right now I bounce between EQ1 and VG.

Yeah i know how you fell Mardukk. 

:(

It's always the same, the floor looks bad, the trees looks bad.

Don't know, it's like it's for kids. Or something.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by revy66

At least Vanguard and EQ2 of those games are actually infamous for their horrible visual style, the only one of those that I can honestly say nailed the realistic representation is Age of Conan.

I like the graphics and animations in EQ2 thought they were actually very good.  The dark elf (with the asian SOBA style (think it was called that) was exactly like what I always pictured them as.  The EQ cats were way better then EQ2 though. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by revy66

Age of Conan had great graphics and combat/general animations, but IMHO was really bad when it came to talking characters, I think it was mainly because of the eyes, they always felt like they were wide open staring at open space while talking.

BTW, also add The Secret World to the list of non cartoony MMOs.

What can men do against such reckless hate?