Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Digging into Free-to-Play

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

There is a new article on massively posted today - and it confirms that the final date for F2P is November 15th,

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/08/swtor-launches-free-to-play-on-november-15th-no-rumor/

Or, you know, this article right here that you're commenting on does the same thing. :)

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Here is a link to prices on Cartel Market. Remember, though that this may be subject to change

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

Consumables

Item CC Description
    Weekly Pass: Flashpoints 240

This pass will give you access to loot that drops in Flashpoints if you already reached your weekly limit. This pass lasts 7 days

• Note: Subscribers already have full access to Flashpoint loot
    • Each consumed Pass adds an additional 7 days to your Access Period
    Weekly Pass: Space Missions 240 Do you want more space combat action? This pass will give you full access to Space Missions for a period of 7 days
    • Note: Subscribers already have full access to Space Missions
    Weekly Pass: Operations 240

Using this pass will unlock Operation access for a period of 7 days.

• (left blank, possibility a typo)
    Weekly Pass: Warzones 240

This pass will give you unlimited access to Warzones for a 7 day period.

• Note: Subscribers already have unlimited access to Warzone
    Major Valor Boost 50

Add a boost to your Valor gains! Gain additional valor for a full 3 hours with this Boost!

• Increase valor points gained by 25% for 3 hours
    • This Boost will not stack with other Valor Boost consumables
    Minor Valor Boost 30

Add a boost to your Valor gains! Gain additional valor for a limited time with this Boost!

• Increase valor points gained by 25% for 1 hours
    • This Boost will not stack with other Valor Boost consumables
    Quick Travel (single use) 90 This will not trigger the cooldown of your Quick Travel ability
    Fleet Pass (single use) 90 This will not trigger the cooldown of Emergency Fleet Pass (subscribers only)
    Medical Probes 500

Are you losing too much time recovering at the Medical Stations? Purchase Medical Probes and recover directly in the field!

• Includes 5 Medical probes
    • Subscribers have unlimited Medical probes.
    Major Experience Boost 120

Add a major Boost to your experience and level faster for even longer!

• Increases experience gained from all sources by 25% for 3 hours.
    •  
    5-Pack: Major Experience Boost 480 This multi-pack of Major Experience Boost gets your 5 boosts for the price of 4!
    Minor Experience Boost 60
    • Increases experience gained from all sources by 25% for 1 hours.
    • This boost will not stack with other Experience Boost Consumables
    • Boosts are not removed when your character is defeated.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    I plan on trying it too.  I never did get to finish some of my personal stories because other projects popped up.  This will allow that, at least!

I plan on doing this also, I only got to level 39 on my Marauder :P.

There is a new article on massively posted today - and it confirms that the final date for F2P is November 15th,

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/08/swtor-launches-free-to-play-on-november-15th-no-rumor/

Thank you for posting this, i've been wondering when they would do it. I've heard people say either this month or next month, but not an actual date. 

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by motoraton
    MMM i have only one question can u trade the items from the store? u can sell the unlocks to other players? if that can happen i think i will play the game,

When you first get most cartel items, they are bound to you for a timeframe based on your account status. You will not be able to trade/mail/GTN the item(s) until that timer finishes, and it turns the item back from bound to bind on equip.

So answer is yes, but I am not sure what means the account status. I will try to find out.

Edit. The timeframe is different for subscribers, Preferred status and F2P. The shortest is for subscribers the longest for F2P. But after this time expires you can sell these items.

Edit 2: I don't think you can sell unlocks.

You can indeed sell unlocks, including Weekly Warzone Passes.

These are consumables so yes, everything what ends up in your inventory I guess.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Here is a link to prices on Cartel Market. Remember, though that this may be subject to change

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

After reading that I can safely say That I prefer a million times to reactivate my World Of Warcraft account

• motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by motoraton
    MMM i have only one question can u trade the items from the store? u can sell the unlocks to other players? if that can happen i think i will play the game,

When you first get most cartel items, they are bound to you for a timeframe based on your account status. You will not be able to trade/mail/GTN the item(s) until that timer finishes, and it turns the item back from bound to bind on equip.

So answer is yes, but I am not sure what means the account status. I will try to find out.

Edit. The timeframe is different for subscribers, Preferred status and F2P. The shortest is for subscribers the longest for F2P. But after this time expires you can sell these items.

Edit 2: I don't think you can sell unlocks.

You can indeed sell unlocks, including Weekly Warzone Passes.

These are consumables so yes, everything what ends up in your inventory I guess.

i think i will try the game. i think the free player can buy the passes for credits, if u dont hurry for clear the content, u can play without paying 

Is there any info on the price of cartel coins?

How many can 10 euros buy for example?

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

I have been a subscriber since launch and plan to continue to do so until Feburary 2013. I have been "testing" the Prefered Account options on the SWTOR test server (PTS) up until they converted everyone back to the "subscribtion" character. While playing as a prefered account, Bioware gave each of us 9,000 Cartel Coin to play with. What I found was that the cost in Cartel Coin to bring my characters (account wide) up to what they had been during the "subscription" period was pretty steep. I ended up spending something on the order of 4,000 CC. That did not include an "passes" for OPs (raids) or PvP. What I spent it on as so that I could wear high level armor/weapons; adding back at least one tool bar; and purchasing back a third crafting/crew ability.  There were a couple of other items too which I can not recall at the moment. Anyway, for me it was just very costly to do that. I have not heard the "offical" conversion dollars to CC but unoffical information suggests it will be somewhere north of one cent per CC.

As to the store itself, I did not really see anything that I would pay real money for. There were a couple of items that were interesting but not worth the expentiture either as a "free" player or as a subscriber. I am sure others will find items they just must have but not of them are needed to make me shell out real cash.

My other concern is that subscribers are not going to see much content unless they are willing to pay for it above and beyond their sub fee. Hopefully, I am wrong but based upon how most of those stores operate, subscribers will not be getting much for the sub fees they will blunk down.

So, I am done once my sub is gone. Over and OUT!

Let's party like it is 1863!

One cent per CC? LOL thats a crime.

I mean, if a weekly pass to flashpoints cost 240 conis I would spend around 1000 for a month, or in this case 10 dollars.

10 dollars to do flashpoints alone, not operations, warzones etc etc etc.

Lol

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Edit. They reward active subscribers, not every person who ever played the game. And I think it's a right choice.

Unfortunately, the f2p thingy is meant to get in new players, and fmr players to come back.....they already have their subscribers tied to the game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

You have to be active subscriber at the time of launching F2P to get CC. It is believed that the date will be 11/14/12

Edit. They reward active subscribers, not every person who ever played the game. And I think it's a right choice.

Those are the kind of right choices that made it go free to play in less than a year in the first place.  A lot of people supported this game, a lot of people spent good money on this game, and a lot of people subbed to this game for some time. I dont think it's the right choice at all but It probably wouldnt keep me from trying out some other classes when Im bored of another game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You have to be active subscriber at the time of launching F2P to get CC. It is believed that the date will be 11/14/12

Right, penalize the people who bought the game and actually subscribed.  Sounds like it is right out of the EA response book.

Seriously, why stick it to previous people who actually spent some real money on this game, only EA could come up with such a brain dead idea!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61 You have to be active subscriber at the time of launching F2P to get CC. It is believed that the date will be 11/14/12   Edit. They reward active subscribers, not every person who ever played the game. And I think it's a right choice.
    Right, penalize the people who bought the game and actually subscribed.  Sounds like it is right out of the EA response book.

Seriously, why stick it to previous people who actually spent some real money on this game, only EA could come up with such a brain dead idea!

The same people who stopped paying for the game and left? If you're going to go on about loyalty, why should the developer show loyalty to the people who showed no loyalty to them? That whole link of thinking is a waste of time.

In any event, as a former subscriber, should I subscribe again, I would get more Cartel Coins than someone who never subscribed before. They are giving the former subscribers more than non-subscribers. Here's the thing. For the people on these forums, who are complaining about stuff like this, there doesn't exist and amount of stuff or reward that would make them happy. EA is better off not even trying.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Mike, not say you are wrong but where did you get the information that there is "only two character slots per server" ? I have not read that before for free or prefered players.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I've given SWTOR a lot and I mean A LOT of heat, but ..... Now that its priced right and since playing GW2 and PokePanda, I can't believe it, but if free to play is the same experience I remember swtor being, then I can't believe it this could be my new primary game again. At this price this game is top notch, see price and humbling thyself is making a difference. Can't wait!!!
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

I disagree, they should reward those whom paid the 60 dollar box and left after they realized it was a hero's journey done up with light sabers.

We always forget those box prices when it comes to mmo's.

Of course EA's management disagree's with me, but that's no surprise. I'm full of awesome common sense!

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

I disagree, they should reward those whom paid the 60 dollar box and left after they realized it was a hero's journey done up with light sabers.

Of course EA's management disagree's with me, but that's no surprise. I'm full of awesome common sense!

i am not bashing you but it is not ea fault if you bought a 60 dollar box without first waiting to see how the game will move and progress and if you will like it . 

• CancrizansCancrizans Member Posts: 4

I am semi-interested in checking back in when it goes F2P, but honestly not liking what I am hearing atm. Have to pay to turn my hood on and off and unlock HOTBARS lol? Sounds more like Bioware is trying to pull a fast one to recoup their losses than actually making a F2P system that gives players options and isn't overly restrictive. I am especially irked by the minimal differences between preferred and free, and the fact you can pay $5 for this "preferred" status. Many of us spent $80-$150 on the box alone, then subbed for multiple months. We should get a bit more than you can buy for $5.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Sorry but even making it "Free" is not going to be enough to kickstart SWTOR.

There is just not enough to the game to retain players for more than a month or two even when the subscription is free. Sure they will get a few waves of players onboard because its free now but most will wash out a few months later.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Who knows I may jump back on to check out my BH and Agent. Heck I may even pay for a week pass of pvp >.< Idk..
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Agreed
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Agreed, If we paid once why should we have to pay for a sub again?

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

I thought it was hilariously funny their actually restricting FTP players open chat.

Preferred status = Increased access to Chat and Secure Trading.

I wonder if you'll get a certain word amount you can post per day, then they cut you off.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

i am not bashing you but it is not ea fault if you bought a 60 dollar box without first waiting to see how the game will move and progress and if you will like it . 

But it is EA's fault for making a brick that had to go FTP after a year. How about we see some of our$60 back in cartel coins. Oh wait, the game sucked, so I dropped my sub so now I'll get nothing for my money after all. I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition, and if I read correctly, you have to have a new account to go FTP, or else re-sub to get my old account back again.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I can understand where the people like myself were subbed for like 8+months and paid 149.99 for the ce and getting shafted, I'm with you on that, but as far as everyone else is concerned , your basically getting the game for " free " and complaining about throwing money here and there to get access? Come on talk about cheap. If you have that many issues paying for games just don't play them simple as that. Sorry if I came off alittle strong but it needs to be said, no one works or does work for free in today's world.