Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Rules of Conduct for Staff

crack_foxcrack_fox WellingtonPosts: 402Member

Do these exist? I was wondering if this website has anything comparable to the ethical standards recently implemented at VG247 in the wake of 'Doritosgate'. I am not suggesting that writers on this site are dishonest. However, there is a popular perception that videogaming is institutionally corrupt, and adopting and enforcing ethical standards is one way to combat that perception. If you already have such standards in place, it would be good to see them linked alongside the RoC. 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,377MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
    Originally posted by crack_fox

Do these exist? I was wondering if this website has anything comparable to the ethical standards recently implemented at VG247 in the wake of 'Doritosgate'. I am not suggesting that writers on this site are dishonest. However, there is a popular perception that videogaming is institutionally corrupt, and adopting and enforcing ethical standards is one way to combat that perception. If you already have such standards in place, it would be good to see them linked alongside the RoC. 

I honestly don't think we've ever drafted one, but I can definitely get one officially posted on our "about us" part of the site.  Generally, we do take review copies, game-time, etc. and we'd never cover this up.  But this is industry standard (like when a movie critic sees a film for free before anyone else), and about the extent of what we "get" for free outside of SWAG given away at shows and events.  But that's basically just free crap that fans get at places like PAX too.  I think the most expensive stuff we've ever been given to review has been the sort of thing we have to send back after (hardware).   

In our review criteria, I expressly tell our writers to not hold back punches for fear of advertisers or ticking off PR folks.  The "free copies and gametime" do not influence our writing or scores, and I ask that our writers keep this in mind when writing.  In fact, I've often thought we should state at the beginning or end of the review when we get press access or gametime.  Unless it's a F2P game, you can assume we got in for free. 

Many of us do buy the games regardless, because we often don't know if we're getting in as "press" until the last minute.  Mike Bitton bought his Collector's Edition of SWTOR for example.  Our owners handle all advertising.  No ads you see here, do I or our writing and community staff have ANYTHING to do with, and the owners give us full autonomy away from the advertising to write how we feel about any given title.  They expressly tell their advertisers that buying ads does not buy positive press. 

I hope this helps.  And perhaps it is time we put up some sort of ethical standards post.  It's probably long overdue.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by crack_fox

I honestly don't think we've ever drafted one, but I can definitely get one officially posted on our "about us" part of the site.  Generally, we do take review copies, game-time, etc. and we'd never cover this up.  But this is industry standard (like when a movie critic sees a film for free before anyone else), and about the extent of what we "get" for free outside of SWAG given away at shows and events.  But that's basically just free crap that fans get at places like PAX too.  I think the most expensive stuff we've ever been given to review has been the sort of thing we have to send back after (hardware).   

In our review criteria, I expressly tell our writers to not hold back punches for fear of advertisers or ticking off PR folks.  The "free copies and gametime" do not influence our writing or scores, and I ask that our writers keep this in mind when writing.  In fact, I've often thought we should state at the beginning or end of the review when we get press access or gametime.  Unless it's a F2P game, you can assume we got in for free. 

Many of us do buy the games regardless, because we often don't know if we're getting in as "press" until the last minute.  Mike Bitton bought his Collector's Edition of SWTOR for example.  Our owners handle all advertising.  No ads you see here, do I or our writing and community staff have ANYTHING to do with, and the owners give us full autonomy away from the advertising to write how we feel about any given title.  They expressly tell their advertisers that buying ads does not buy positive press. 

I hope this helps.  And perhaps it is time we put up some sort of ethical standards post.  It's probably long overdue.

Awesome TY for the response.