Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THEMEPARK MMO: what's something that most Themepark MMO have never tried

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Can you think of something that most themepark MMO almost never try?

From my point of view, I rarely see Themepark MMO deliver Raid Dungeons that are for lower level players. Usually they are pure endgame content.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

From my point of view, I rarely see Themepark MMO deliver Raid Dungeons that are for lower level players. Usually they are pure endgame content.

Reason being that people would work very hard for gear there goin to out lvl very quickly. Theamparks allow for fast progression thus negating the need for hard raid content at lower lvls. wouldnt be worth the time.

EDIT: rereading my post something struck me. That outlvled gear could be usefull IF the game was crafting sentric and a player could "study" a piece of gear and recreate it. The crafter would have to be very skilled in his or her craft to do this.  the look and style of the piece, not the stats. So it could be used as a cosmetic piece.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Reason being that people would work very hard for gear there goin to out lvl very quickly. Theamparks allow for fast progression thus negating the need for hard raid content at lower lvls. wouldnt be worth the time.

But do all raid dungeons have to be harder content? Why can't smaller party dungeons be the hardest content instead?

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

EDIT: rereading my post something struck me. That outlvled gear could be usefull IF the game was crafting sentric and a player could "study" a piece of gear and recreate it. The crafter would have to be very skilled in his or her craft to do this.  the look and style of the piece, not the stats. So it could be used as a cosmetic piece.

They could simply have 2 versions of the dungeon, one low leveled, one high leveled, perhaps restrict the low level one above a certain level in case of cosmetic items.

After re reading my edit those features would be something found in a sandbox type game so my edit may be moot =)

But do all raid dungeons have to be harder content? Why can't smaller party dungeons be the hardest content instead?

I dont understand. are you asking why cant raid content be easier then small group content? I think that its self-explanatory. Why else would you need a larger group of people to do content if it wasent infact harder then content  that a small group could handle?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    have the endgame be a sandbox. No leveling, player driven content, and all that jazz.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

All of that raid content and the organization needed to tackle raid content is pointless on low level content.

The most important thing that Themeparks fail to deliver on is or most never try is Player Housing.  Housing is simple the easiest and most development friendly modes of content to create sandbox like gameplay.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Agoden

They could simply have 2 versions of the dungeon, one low leveled, one high leveled, perhaps restrict the low level one above a certain level in case of cosmetic items.

dont they kinda do this in rift ?

Originally posted by Zylaxx

All of that raid content and the organization needed to tackle raid content is pointless on low level content.

The most important thing that Themeparks fail to deliver on is or most never try is Player Housing.  Housing is simple the easiest and most development friendly modes of content to create sandbox like gameplay.

But once theamparks start adding sandbox elements doesent it cease to be a theampark?

• ghstwolfghstwolf Member Posts: 386

But once theamparks start adding sandbox elements doesent it cease to be a theampark?

Not really, this would be like putting a hitch on a Civic.  You certainly wouldn't call that combination a "towpig".

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

If you count Vanguard as a themepark, it has low level raids at the end of their quest chains.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Uhhh.... because it's much harder to organize 100 people? And something that takes 100 people to beat is harder inherently than a 6 man dungeon?

Originally posted by ghstwolf

Not really, this would be like putting a hitch on a Civic.  You certainly wouldn't call that combination a "towpig".

A hitch on a civic is as wothless as tits on a boar so i dont see your analogy. Adding sandbox features to a theampark game turns into something else.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If one sees MMOs as black and white and nothing in between, then possibly, but then no MMO is really a themepark or sandbox at that point because they all have a mix of content.

MMOs have multiple elements. The three most common are themepark, sandbox and social. The last of the three being the most amusing because it's the one everyone here says is missing but at the same time it's the one is always left out of every discussion when labelling, dissecting or classifying MMOs.

Sandbox features are just a type of content, like the others. Blizzard could add brick by brick house building in open world zones to World of Warcraft, and WoW would still be WoW.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

If one sees MMOs as black and white and nothing in between, then possibly, but then no MMO is really a themepark or sandbox at that point because they all have a mix of content.

MMOs have multiple elements. The three most common are themepark, sandbox and social. The last of the three being the most amusing because it's the one everyone here says is missing but at the same time it's the one is always left out of every discussion when labelling, dissecting or classifying MMOs.

Sandbox features are just a type of content, like the others. Blizzard could add brick by brick house building in open world zones to World of Warcraft, and WoW would still be WoW.

i agree but housing is just one feature. but what if wow started adding other "sandbox" features. 

The more sandbox features one would put into a theampark would cause it to be less of a theampark.

The op was asking what theamparks could add that they never tried. when i think of the question, sandbox features all all i can come up with. I would very much love this thread to get some momentum because i would love to hear some thoughts on the OPs question.

• ghstwolfghstwolf Member Posts: 386

A hitch on a civic is as wothless as tits on a boar so i dont see your analogy. Adding sandbox features to a theampark game turns into something else.

I'd agree but a Civic can handle towing enough of a load to say it has added functionality (even if that barely covers a small trailer w/ nothing bigger than a riding mower).  That alone would make it a pretty valid analogy, but it works on other levels as well.  Actually the fact that I used such a poor platform is a part of that as well, themeparks don't really encourage putting down roots.  You just sort of move through those designs never settling into a specific area.

I'd agree but a Civic can handle towing enough of a load to say it has added functionality (even if that barely covers a small trailer w/ nothing bigger than a riding mower).  That alone would make it a pretty valid analogy, but it works on other levels as well.  Actually the fact that I used such a poor platform is a part of that as well, themeparks don't really encourage putting down roots.  You just sort of move through those designs never settling into a specific area.

your working off of the addition of one feature. to use your analogy, what if they cut the rear out and put a flatbed on. added 4 wheel dr. put a gun rack in the back window. when does the civic become a truck?

Man this thing looks god awful lol. who would do this!

I dont understand. are you asking why cant raid content be easier then small group content? I think that its self-explanatory. Why else would you need a larger group of people to do content if it wasent infact harder then content  that a small group could handle?

Thats a common misconception.

You assume, that since in most mmo, that the Harder Content always happen to be the Content that is the largest party size, so you assume they are linked.

thats not really the case.

Look at WoW, some 10 Man raids are a lot harder than the older 20man raids and even the old 40 man raids. and vice verse.

Those raid dungeons were designed to be hardest content. that doesnt mean they have to be the hardest content. I am sure if developers wanted to, they could switch the difficulty of 5 man dungeons and endgame raid dungeons.

hence I never seen a themepark MMO do they, by stepping away from the Raid Dungeons being endgame only.

You assume, that since in most mmo, that the Harder Content always happen to be the Content that is the largest party size, so you assume they are linked.

Look at WoW, some 10 Man raids are a lot harder than the older 20man raids and even the old 40 man raids. and vice verse.

Those raid dungeons were designed to be hardest content. that doesnt mean they have to be the hardest content. I am sure if developers wanted to, they could switch the difficulty of 5 man dungeons and endgame raid dungeons.

hence I never seen a themepark MMO do they, by stepping away from the Raid Dungeons being endgame only.

those 40 man raids are outdated lower lvl instance so ofcourse they would be easier then max lvl 10-20 mans. I dont believe a theampark mmo would have 20-40 man lvl 10-15 raids when the gear there goin to farm for will just be out lvled in a day or so.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Thinking outside the box?
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Hmm hmm, 

http://l2.eogamer.com/wiki/Raid_Boss_List

Or is L2 now a sandbox? Anyways, what was the question?

Flame on!

:)

those 40 man raids are outdated lower lvl instance so ofcourse they would be easier then max lvl 10-20 mans. I dont believe a theampark mmo would ass 20-40 man lvl 10-15 raids when the gear there goin to farm for will just be out lvled in a day or so.

but that also apply to party dungeons. people dont run low level party dungeons for the same reason.

but there are still party dungeons outside of endgame.

Originally posted by Yamota
    Thinking outside the box?

well honestly, I seen more innovation in themepark mmo than I have in Sandbox MMO.

prove me wrong.

always seem to have FFA PvP with looting,

and skill system

same old same old.

well maybe Eve, since you a ship instead of a character.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Banaghran

Hmm hmm, 

Flame on!

You have a lot of good points in your posts but you detract a lot from your own message with that pointless closing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Banaghran

Hmm hmm, 

Flame on!

i never played l2 so i wouldent know what they would consider raid sise groups and how they work. were raids in l2 open world or instanced? Open world raid bosses i could see for lower lvls but a full blown instance with 10- 15 bosses that have 7 day lockout timers? i just cant see it.