Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quarterly raport from NCSoft

123457»

Comments

• gipper36gipper36 Member Posts: 23
    yah muffin ,played cov for over 6 years to have these pos' end my game .not real happy with them atm. i did meet some great people on the game tho,so gotta credit them for one thing i guess.  sad times in cali
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang Originally posted by Creslin4321 Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Creslin4321 Threads like this are why I deleted my account lol.
      haha best line ever! I was wondering where you went. Just ask them to un-delete your account
     Hehe nah, I want it to stay deleted.  For some reason, the fact that it doesn't exist anymore makes me feel much less inclined to get involved with threads like this. Anytime I think I might want to involve myself in a massive circular argument, I just look at my newbie account name in the upper left hand corner of my screen and am reminded not to ;).
    Hehe i can sympathize. I ditched this account and made DannyGlover as a dummy account. Ended up posting just as much so i just switched back to my main haha
    I've had similar identity crises here.  This isn't my first account, although I didn't have two at once.  Hey, I liked your DG acct, not that I don't like this one.  Maybe it's cause he's pretty damn cool.

Anyway it's more fun to argue with you than the other 500 bn people on the nets.

Haha yeah i added you to my friends list as DG and was like wtf im living a lie!! So i went back to my original acct, dirty laundry and all :)
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Creslin4321

Threads like this are why I deleted my account lol.

Please guys...just step back and look at what you are doing.  It's such a waste of time...you don't need to sit here and try to learn accounting just so you can justify your opinion that a game is failing or successful.

Imagine what you could accomplish if you channeled all this energy into something else.  Maybe next time you have a test coming up, just imagine that your teacher is trying to prove that GW2 is a failure (if you are a fan) or a great success (if you are not), and the only way to disprove her is to get a great score on the test.

By analysing the data from the financial reports we can see how well GW2 is doing and that will give us an insight into how profitable the b2p model is. That for me is an interesting debate and a very valid way of expending my energy as that will determine if I feel gaming companies are genuinely ripping us off with subs as Mike O'Brien has suggested in the past. Because you flounced off and deleted your account and cannot understand these types of threads has very little bearing on this debate, its not about whether GW2 is a success or not its about the validity of the payment model which GW2 fans have been telling us for the past year is "the future" now we have some hard data to see if that is true, and that benefits us all.

Well said and I agree. The topic of this thread was unexpectedly early. TBH, I didn't see this happening for a while. But it was still inevitable at any rate. So what now? What can we expect from GW2's Cash Shop now? What's NC-Soft going to do to increase revenue? Maybe nothing. Maybe they plan on business as usual. But you cannot dismiss the possibility that NC-Soft will step in at some point and demand changes to increase profits. What about developers who adopt the B2P model in the future?  You guys want no subs? You think one (not so) shinning example of a revenue model ushers in a new era? Look at what Funcom is doing to it's Anarchy Online playerbase,  with it's full AAA sub fee and a P2W cash shop. How many other companies can you say you trust to use this model with the same level of discretion ANET has shown? Which is also subject to change at this rate. B2P is an open door to a slippery slope. I for one am glad there is evidence to show it's not the model many claimed it was.

Thanks GG,

This report is just the appetizer really the Q4 report is the main dish, thats where we can see whether Ncsoft have deferred income from Q3 (my personal view is that with the drop in share price they new this was not meeting expectation and loaded it up as best they could) and how the cash shop is doing for longterm profitability but this report is still interesting to say the least.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Creslin4321

Threads like this are why I deleted my account lol.

Please guys...just step back and look at what you are doing.  It's such a waste of time...you don't need to sit here and try to learn accounting just so you can justify your opinion that a game is failing or successful.

Imagine what you could accomplish if you channeled all this energy into something else.  Maybe next time you have a test coming up, just imagine that your teacher is trying to prove that GW2 is a failure (if you are a fan) or a great success (if you are not), and the only way to disprove her is to get a great score on the test.

By analysing the data from the financial reports we can see how well GW2 is doing and that will give us an insight into how profitable the b2p model is. That for me is an interesting debate and a very valid way of expending my energy as that will determine if I feel gaming companies are genuinely ripping us off with subs as Mike O'Brien has suggested in the past. Because you flounced off and deleted your account and cannot understand these types of threads has very little bearing on this debate, its not about whether GW2 is a success or not its about the validity of the payment model which GW2 fans have been telling us for the past year is "the future" now we have some hard data to see if that is true, and that benefits us all.

Well said and I agree. The topic of this thread was unexpectedly early. TBH, I didn't see this happening for a while. But it was still inevitable at any rate. So what now? What can we expect from GW2's Cash Shop now? What's NC-Soft going to do to increase revenue? Maybe nothing. Maybe they plan on business as usual. But you cannot dismiss the possibility that NC-Soft will step in at some point and demand changes to increase profits. What about developers who adopt the B2P model in the future?  You guys want no subs? You think one (not so) shinning example of a revenue model ushers in a new era? Look at what Funcom is doing to it's Anarchy Online playerbase,  with it's full AAA sub fee and a P2W cash shop. How many other companies can you say you trust to use this model with the same level of discretion ANET has shown? Which is also subject to change at this rate. B2P is an open door to a slippery slope. I for one am glad there is evidence to show it's not the model many claimed it was.

Thanks GG,

This report is just the appetizer really the Q4 report is the main dish, thats where we can see whether Ncsoft have deferred income from Q3 (my personal view is that with the drop in share price they new this was not meeting expectation and loaded it up as best they could) and how the cash shop is doing for longterm profitability but this report is still interesting to say the least.

I know I inserted my views into your post. I do recognize that you did not speak out specifically for or against the model in the post I quoted,  but that you want to see how the future plays out. But that's really what I meant to agree with. But I want to be clear, The ant-Cash Shop sentiments are mine, I added them to quoting your post. You may or may not agree with them, but I want to be clear that I am not trying to twist your words. I should have been clearer on that in my prior post. I apologize for any misunderstandings.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

People talk about hypocricy because you guys seem to be oblivious to it. I am still playing GW2 but that doesn't mean i have to like the fanbase too. 

GW2 gets a lot of flak not because it is a bad game but because of its defensive fans. So yeah 'interesting' indeed that somehow disliking the fan base automatically translates to hating 'GW2'. Sorry but all of you ain't that special. ;)

Even more interesting.

Damn it and someone had posted nice post about circle jerking, I agree with that.

Oh and to be honest I, myself don't get into all these numbers much, but when I saw hypocrisy, made me smile for many reasons.

Any ways you guys enjoy yourselves and have fun, peace.(Though I may watch this thread some more provides some good laughs and etc)

Edited: Forgot one thing...

P.S The hypocrisy is strong on both sides, why  it is interesting to me. One of the many reasons, Korrigan also got it right, life of ordinary got it right aswell, actually not all of it he left out the other side.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Does this report include the third party sales during September? (I doubt third party will pay them before the end of the month so it can be included).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    So if I get this straight, Aion sold more in Q1 2012 than GW 2 did Q3 2012? Quite underwhelming for a triple A B2P MMO, no?
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by Yamota
    So if I get this straight, Aion sold more in Q1 2012 than GW 2 did Q3 2012? Quite underwhelming for a triple A B2P MMO, no?

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    26m pounds looks underwhelming to me. How is it possible that GW2 brought in so little? And this includes the game's launch.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

aion is quite popular in the east. Or at least it was a year ago. Most money NcSoft was generating over the years was from korea not west and they managed to become bigger than most wester mmo devs.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    26m pounds looks underwhelming to me. How is it possible that GW2 brought in so little? And this includes the game's launch.

Because some resellers don't pay Ncsoft for 30+ days it might not be counted for that quarter, so we will get a much better picture in the Q4 reports.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I though it was common knowledge between people that play MMOs that Aion is HUGE in asia, as in WoW huge.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Because some resellers don't pay Ncsoft for 30+ days it might not be counted for that quarter, so we will get a much better picture in the Q4 reports.

Earnings is sales in that period, not payments, the assumption is that debts will be honoured, any debt that is not honoured then needs to be accounted for as as a minus in the period it is classed as defaulted.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Earnings is sales in that period, not payments, the assumption is that debts will be honoured, any debt that is not honoured then needs to be accounted for as as a minus in the period it is classed as defaulted.

I bow to your superior knowledge, I only do my own personal accounts which don't rely on bills being honoured. It was a suspicion that this was all income from Q3 and if what you say is correct this is not that great a showing really.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Aion doesn't surprise me much though, people seem to dismiss it but its HUGE over in asia.

They're the only type of gamers who love MASSIVE grind and shallow play.

I must be Asian lol, as I enjoyed Aion a lot. Have nothing but fond memories of that game, it was awesome for me.

me either i almost can tell it was the best world PvP experience i ever had and i played stuff as GW1, WoW, AoC, War and many other stuff

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I bow to your superior knowledge, I only do my own personal accounts which don't rely on bills being honoured. It was a suspicion that this was all income from Q3 and if what you say is correct this is not that great a showing really.

Yes, once a copy is sold than it goes into the trade receivables account. It doesn't matter if you get paid in 30 or 60 days. It only matters that you've realised those earnings. Sometimes these trade receivables (also known as debtors) become bad debts but that's extremely unlikely to happen in this case.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Yes, once a copy is sold than it goes into the trade receivables account. It doesn't matter if you get paid in 30 or 60 days. It only matters that you've realised those earnings. Sometimes these trade receivables (also known as debtors) become bad debts but that's extremely unlikely to happen in this case.

You guys will make an accountant of me one day! thanks for the info.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Aion was the number MMO in Korea.  It added 3 servers earlier this year to bring it to 45 servers due to increased demand.   Each of their servers also have much higher capacity than the US-Aion's servers.   It's the WoW of Korea.