Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] The Secret World: The Albion Theatre

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of Funcom's most talked about goals for their games is to empower players by giving them 'sandbox-like' tools to create the things they want. In The Secret World Issue 4, the team aims to do just that with the Albion Theatre. We have an exclusive look at Albion Theater penned by Senior Designer Tanya Short. Read on!

The Albion Ballroom Theatre is a grand old façade on Mayqueen Market in London, across the street from Ealdwic Park. As of Issue 4, you’ll be able to go inside, and put on whatever kind of show your heart desires! Our goal is to empower players. Open mic night? Sketch comedy shows? Extensive Shakespearean productions? Cabaret? Music video? It's really an open toolbox – you and your friends can use the Albion to do whatever you want.

Read more of Tanya Short's The Secret World: The Albion Theatre.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    This looks really awesome!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, it's a whole new level from LotRO's small theatre event in Frostbluff :)

I'm not a performer myself, but I could be a devoted audience member of the better plays. Nice idea and I guess it fits in TSW.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Yep, it's a whole new level from LotRO's small theatre event in Frostbluff :)

I'm not a performer myself, but I could be a devoted audience member of the better plays. Nice idea and I guess it fits in TSW.

I agree. 

Something as well put together as the albion theatre would go down a treat in lotro especially on Laurelin.

Second that, the RP community would do wonders with these tools in LotRO. Consider how good shows are performed on Methel-stage, without any toolset :)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Is this a first? Has anyone seen something like this in the past?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    This sounds even more awesome than I knew! I can hardly wait to try this out. And yes, it would be a hugely popular feature in LOTRO.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Even if I am not a dedicated roleplayer, this is just a brilliant idea. Hope there will be many events in there. I will gladly sit in the audience and applaud to the artists. Every MMORPG needs more of that creative and player-driven stuff. Wonderful!

Hodor!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628
    This is great! Im glad they didnt tag a bunch of achievements and point systems to it. Just let the community do its thing.  I'll drop 15 bucks to check it out when it goes live.

A classic from the LotRO forum:  (and it's only a few emotes, some firework and a lot of coordination).

In TSW there will be much more options... Heck, I wanna see even the rehearsals, when they goofing around with the set management tools :)  Or when few people go in and hold a stand-up night... or anything.

• IndieriotIndieriot Member UncommonPosts: 33
    This looks like a great feature. It'd be really awesome to see some recording options added, so that musicians who play the game can get some theatrical stage time as well with some of their   original music. xD
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Really enjoying the variety and outside-the-box thinking coming from the devs at TSW.  This is a great addition, and it seems they are really starting to think of different ways to approach RP, PVP, questing and endgame.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Did i just read " a chance of dropping"? I hope there's no RNG mechanics in there. I like the idea of getting them from drops, but it better not be a random one for grinding.

Besides that, it looks awesome. I ike to RP and this is going to be a good tool for the community. Hope to see more stuff like this in the future.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

omg, this will save the game! Great job FC!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51
    Very cool. It's nice to see things other than pointless progression raids in MMO's again.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

In SWG, on server Kettemoor, there was a very active RP community that periodically performed original plays and put on dance and music performances.  It was real fun to log on just to go to the "theatre." 

They didn't have a game mechanism, so it required some very well-planned coordination.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

This will be so fun to watch!

Love it 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Meh, this is cool and all, but on a list of game-improving sandbox features, I'm not sure this would be in my top ten

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Took a great idea and made it that much more special. This will be great to see in action. Well done.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by MindTrigger Meh, this is cool and all, but on a list of game-improving sandbox features, I'm not sure this would be in my top ten
    Yeah, it was cool in LotRO (a lot more simplistic there though), but it's not something you spend that much time doing.  This is the sort of fluff system that would be cool once more and deeper systems were already in place.

Some people will be happy to spend a lot of time working with this system, it may not be the majority but it's a great addition for both RP and spectators. It's a good experiment to see what players will do with a sandbox feature, next step would be to expand it out in to areas of the world, it's a great start imho.

TSW hits the nail on the head for me as far as atmosphere goes, if they can keep that strength going with additions like this and attract new players, all power to them. Never expected this to be more than a niche title that grows, I hope that happens for them, I think this game really deserves a growing audience.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Meh, this is cool and all, but on a list of game-improving sandbox features, I'm not sure this would be in my top ten

Well they said they "had designs on the table," for more player generated content. I hope this is the first of more to come. 

Create a battle ground?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by bcbully Originally posted by MindTrigger Meh, this is cool and all, but on a list of game-improving sandbox features, I'm not sure this would be in my top ten
    Well they said they "had designs on the table," for more player generated content. I hope this is the first of more to come.  Create a battle ground?
    How about player created missions and story arcs with a design tool that rivals the STO and Neverwinter foundry.  I think that would go over big in a game like this and be a huge hit with both RP Storytellers and hack-n-slashers.

Out of all these new mmos, tsw needs player housing the most. Put up an apartment building or two in each hub city. The setting calls for a place to call home. I mean, the game starts out with you in your house.
  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I'm a bit amazed by all the MMOs jumping on the 'sandbox' bandwagon. Next stream of MMOs will be all sandbox, like the last were themepark. If solid MMO sandbox came out 4 years ago, it would have done so well. Now we will be saturated... 

Originally posted by rmk70
    I'm a bit amazed by all the MMOs jumping on the 'sandbox' bandwagon. Next stream of MMOs will be all sandbox, like the last were themepark. If solid MMO sandbox came out 4 years ago, it would have done so well. Now we will be saturated... 
    Haha i think you may be suffering from premature saturation. The day this genre is overflowing with sandboxes....well, we will see how it goes next crop

Originally posted by Foomerang Out of all these new mmos, tsw needs player housing the most. Put up an apartment building or two in each hub city. The setting calls for a place to call home. I mean, the game starts out with you in your house.
    Housing another good idea.  I know we had a recent pro/con thread about housing, and there are those who would disagree with me, but I think every MMO should have housing of some sort.  There is so much potential for integration with the rest of the game.  Housing can be integrated into nearly every single aspect.  EQ2 is a pretty good example of what can be done as was SWG (although open world housing needs to be well designed or it can look stupid).

Yeah i think housing, player made structures and cities need to make a comeback to mmos. Needs to be standard. When i started up in this genre, all of em had it. It was part of the deal, just like crafting. Which btw also needs some love around here.
  • Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Well, Anarchy Online has player Housing (well apartments) and guild cities (for Alien Invasions). AoC has guild cities (there's even whores and drunks in them) which actually require Architecture tradeskill to make and a LOT of materials.

So why not TSW?