Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why You Should Seriously Consider Playing ARR

Comments

• OnionThiefOnionThief Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

If the combat is better, seems to me when I played beta it was sucky and slow and not fun ,

12.99 usd is a bit too much, make it 10 even usd and if I like the combat I will play n pay for two accounts one for myself on for my wife.

The combat is, like, 99% different than it was at the start of 1.0. From the alpha leaks, it seems that ARR's combat looks a lot like XIV's as it stands today (auto-attack; a core set of abilities/spells which can be comboed), but with changes to make the flow a lot faster. There's a lot more weapon skill/ability use, and you can jump in and out of battle really quick. Then there's limit breaks...

As for price, I wouldn't expect it to change. Hopefully that doesn't stop you and your wife from playing.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by OnionThief

If the combat is better, seems to me when I played beta it was sucky and slow and not fun ,

12.99 usd is a bit too much, make it 10 even usd and if I like the combat I will play n pay for two accounts one for myself on for my wife.

The combat is, like, 99% different than it was at the start of 1.0. From the alpha leaks, it seems that ARR's combat looks a lot like XIV's as it stands today (auto-attack; a core set of abilities/spells which can be comboed), but with changes to make the flow a lot faster. There's a lot more weapon skill/ability use, and you can jump in and out of battle really quick. Then there's limit breaks...

As for price, I wouldn't expect it to change. Hopefully that doesn't stop you and your wife from playing.

Depends if I like it might overlook the xtra 3 bucks but I need to enjoy the combat. I never got to play the previous FF online game so when this one came out I was so disappointed with  the results. I forgot to mention they need to add in keys or some such so we can have a 2 week trial run or somesuch too cuase I wont fork out  X amount just to try it.

It sucks cuase FF has been the Fantasy series for me since the very first one but the last few games I have not liked at all. Didn't care for how combat worked in the  FF XIII

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Depends if I like it might overlook the xtra 3 bucks but I need to enjoy the combat. I never got to play the previous FF online game so when this one came out I was so disappointed with  the results. I forgot to mention they need to add in key or some such so we can have a 2 week trail run or somesuch too cuase I wont fork out  xamount just to try it.

Chances are you'll have to buy the game to try it. SE has always offered a 30 day trial period with new purchases.

However, if there's an open beta (which there probably will be), you and your wife should play it then and see how you feel about it.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I don't know what you mean by 1.0 and 2.0, but I bought the game when it first released and was very disapointed. I actually never plan to play it again, but I read your post because I have a lot of respect for the franchise, and if they were remaking this game to appeal to MMO gamers like me, then I would give it another shot, especially if I get a 3 month free trial.

My beef with this new reincarnation of the game is that it's aimed towards the same playerbase WoW already holds and brought into the genre. So if I play WoW, which has a healthy population and regular content patches/expansions, why would I play XIV? If I originally became interested in XiV because of the repuation of their last Final Fantasy MMO having a great job system and being heavily group-based, why would I be interested in XIV, which sounds to me to be the Final Fantasy version of WoW?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Entry level sub is $9.99. You don't have to pay the 12.99 but you will be restricted to having one character as opposed to what, 64 with the standard sub?

Some comments are way too optimistic. Especially if they don't want to rush the launch, a minor delay of 1-2 months can easily extend to 3 plus. Some reports from a source that has been right on many occasions before state that the internal release date is already set to July 2013 due to the delays in Alpha start date and development schedule. Take the info as you may but let's not paint rainbows to the sky when it's not warranted. That is what leads to disappointment in the end.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by nate1980

My beef with this new reincarnation of the game is that it's aimed towards the same playerbase WoW already holds and brought into the genre. So if I play WoW, which has a healthy population and regular content patches/expansions, why would I play XIV? If I originally became interested in XiV because of the repuation of their last Final Fantasy MMO having a great job system and being heavily group-based, why would I be interested in XIV, which sounds to me to be the Final Fantasy version of WoW?

Makes much more sense to me that the game is aimed towards Final Fantasy players that aren't really interested in what WoW offers but who might care about a casual MMO in a Final Fantasy setting. Further reinforced by the amount of fanservice being implemented in ARR by the producer.

There are millions of such fans all over the world, so I don't see why SE would aim to steal a demographic of some other game. Just because it functions like WoW doesn't mean it's not designed to appeal to Final Fantasy fans. They are mostly casual players, too.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Well written post, however it had the opposite effect on me, pretty sure this isn't a title to my liking.

I'm more of a open world, FFA PVP sort of person and you used the term instanced far too many times.   image

In the end it sounds like a very pretty, hopefully well crafted theme park style game, and I'm pretty much done with those.

But good luck and enjoy, hope it all works out as well as you say.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    I will get it on PS3 when it eventually comes out, it's been in my pre order list for about 4 years now so I may as well see what it's like.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Hi all,

It seems that from a lot of the posts here that there is some confusion regarding what exactly has changed from XIV 1.0 to 2.0 (ARR), and what makes it worth actually playing. I’m going to make an attempt to summarize these changes, and explain why I think ARR will be a title you won’t want to overlook. In short, there’s a reason this game is currently hyping at close to an 8, despite the tragedy that was its first iteration; ARR is essentially a brand new game based on the original XIV.

This post is aimed primarily at those not familiar with XIV/ARR, and the items below will be outlined very broadly so as to prevent the initiated from getting mired in the details. To those XIV veterans out there, feel free to point out anything major I may have forgotten, and I will include it in my post.

This is meant to be a discussion thread of what ARR promises so I won’t acknowledge those who are trying to derail it with negativity. Fair warning.
    ---

Major changes:

New maps for close to the entire XIV world (Eorzea), with the exception of main cities. (At launch)

An entirely new graphics engine, optimized to run on a range of differently spec’d PCs. Includes new animations, countless virtual assets, etc. (At launch)

Entirely new server infrastructure designed to support massive open-world content (similar to Guild Wars 2). Zones will now be instanced. (At launch)

Regional data centres tied to specific servers (in order to reduce latency, although a player is able to play on whatever server he or she wishes). (At launch)

A new game client. (At launch)

PS3 release— PC and PS3 players will be able to play together on the same servers. (At launch)

Two new extremely well designed UIs, one for a mouse/keyboard setup and the other for controller users. (At launch)

An entirely overhauled system of character creation, which includes much greater options and both sexes for all races. (At launch)

New race(s). (TBD— if the player poll is used as a basis for developing the next race, expect a viera type race first)

New classes/jobs (so far Arcanist/Summoner is the only one confirmed for launch, but there is a strong indication that we will see one more at that time)

The Free Company system. Think of these as Linkshells (FF equivalent of guilds) taken to the next level. The details are scarce at this point, but things such as company bases, company summons, and other large, cool stuff of that nature has been hinted at. (At launch)

Chocobo raising/companion system (your Chocobo can be called to fight in battle with you!). (At launch of shortly thereafter)

New mounts (including awesome things such as drakes, magitek armour). (TBD)

Instanced housing (with the ability to furnish, decorate, renovate, garden, and do a whole host of other domestically related activities, lol). (At launch or shortly thereafter)

New summons (including Titan and Odin!). (At launch)

New quests/quest based level progression. (At launch)

Rebalanced/new class abilities and traits. (At launch)

Redesigned combat (including an awesome ass looking Limit Break system). (At launch)

New notorious monsters (rare enemies) and new enemies/monsters. (At launch)

Dungeon/content finder (automatically matches you up with those that are seeking the same content). (At launch)

PVP (this will be contained to two main areas; one for small-medium scale encounters and other for much larger, objective based encounters). (At launch)

New dungeons and raids, including the Crystal Tower mega-dungeon (Nyzul Isle 2.0, anyone?) (At launch)

New story. (At launch)

Even further improved crafting/gathering system(s) (I’ve played a lot of MMOs; XIV has my all-time favourite crafting system even as it stands) (At launch)

DX11 support. (shortly after launch)

All of the changes being carried over from the final version of 1.0 (including changes the market wards, removal of surplus experience points, the job system, the materia system, overall game balance to name but a FEW). (At launch)

Not so much a “change”, but… everyone who bought XIV 1.0 will be able to download ARR free of charge, and enjoy a 3 month free trial period as well.

Last but certainly not least, INCREDIBLE NEW MUSIC. I heard some of it leaked footage from the Alpha test… and wow. (At launch)

*For the items listed as being implemented “shortly after launch”, I think it’s fair to expect these 4-6 months after full release.

--

Why you should check out ARR (these are opinion based):

After failing hard with XIV 1.0, SE is determined to make ARR a great game and restore the reputation of the FF brand. No expense has been spared in making ARR; a considerable amount of time, money, and human capital have all gone in to making sure this game is a success. We’re talking about 1.5-2 years worth of development time… with a team of 300+ people, including SE’s top talent. The bottom line is that even if this game never sees a large player base, SE has to make sure it’s a great game so they can say it is up to par with the standard for the series. They simply cannot allow it to crash and burn.

Related to this last point… the production value. Everything we’ve seen of ARR now screams high quality. The engine, the graphics, the music… and a determination from the game’s developers to ensure that the end product is top tier.

The new team. After 1.0 tanked, SE cleaned house and brought in new, youthful vision for the game. The new director, Yoshi-P, has demonstrated an understanding of what MMO players want, and has taken great strides to dramatically improve communication between SE and their fans. Nothing but positive things to say about the man who will likely die an early death as a result trying to revive a fallen title. I read an interesting post not too long ago that discussed how XIV and the 1.0 story is an allegory for SE and the state of the FF franchise… in short, Yoshi-P may in time come to be known as the man who saved Final Fantasy. But I’m getting ahead of myself. ?

The game itself has already drastically improved. Yes, it took 2 years, but XIV 1.0 as it stands is a fairly solid and enjoyable game (especially considering the turd it was polished out of). Moreover, this was done essentially with a relatively small crew of staff: the vast majority of resources allocated to this project were focused on development of ARR, not improving version 1.0 And so if this level of improvement was achieved with a fraction of the total staff, just imagine what an undivided team will deliver under the game’s present direction.

While FFXI, XIV’s spiritual predecessor, was heavily based on EverQuest’s systems and approaches (XI was by no means a unique, delicate flower, sorry), XIV is shaping up to be largely based on WoW’s design mentality. Is this a bad thing? No, not at all. WoW was (is?) a great game in its own right, with a breath of content that catered to players of all skill levels and time commitments. By emulating and modernizing these systems, SE is aiming to deliver them in a way that’s superior to any other title. And if XI is any indication, this company has the capability to improve upon systems borrowed from other games while at the same time instilling them with a unique flavour. Early alpha footage shows us that XIV has managed to maintain its individuality even with these changes— it still feels like XIV… actually, that’s not entirely true. The overall “feel” (aesthetic, pace, environments) reminded me of XIV married with XII.

More gameplay options to allow for a larger and broader playerbase. Not everyone who plays an MMO is a disgruntled neckbeard with countless hours on their hands to farm for items with miniscule drop rates, so this time around SE is a designing a game that has many casual/solo play options. SE has already proven that they can deliver on this very effectively with Dragon Quest X (a game more of you have probably never played, but feel free to check reviews). But don’t fret hardcores! At the end of the day this is SE we’re talking about, so expect to see time consuming (and sadistic) content also. As for challenge itself, 1.0 had a LOT of very challenging (and fun!) fights for the player base… so you can 100% expect more of the same in 2.0.

It’s a Final Fantasy game. That means you get to enjoy all of the canonical elements throughout the FF franchise with a new distinction— everything from jobs (the classics), to races (mostly the same as XI), to enemies, to bosses, to locations, to dungeons, to characters, to systems (such as materia, which is already implemented, and limit breaks). This is a series that has come to define countless RPG staples and ideas, and you have the potential to experience them from the people who deliver them the best. Leaders come to be leaders for a reason.

The game is subscription based (12.99 USD/month). Some people may see this as a negative, but I see it as a positive for 3 main reasons: (1) it means that by paying this fee, you have access to all content the same as anyone else (rather than F2P/P2W/nickel-and-dime bullshit content); (2) it promotes a cohesive community (players are less transient and more likely to stay for longer periods of time, given their investment— just look at XI); and (3) it tends to eliminate some of the more toxic behaviours (reputation matters!) and negative players/children who dominate some F2P online titles.

The game should have an open beta. If that’s the case, then you have no reason not to try it out. Then you can decide for yourself if it’s what you want.

I’m not trying to say that ARR is the second coming, but what I’m getting at is that overall I believe the game will be a really solid and enjoyable title for years to come. The fact that MMORPG.com deleted the old FFXIV game from its game list proves how substantially improved ARR looks, and the potential it clearly holds. Beyond that, all evidence points to the fact that it’s one of the most promising AAA fantasy MMORPG titles coming out over the next while, so there really isn’t a good reason to ignore it.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions (I’ll try my best to answer).

Hope to see you in Eorzea!

--

Bonus material for those who may want to see a little more of ARR:

ARR CGI trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMrFXcqvk4

ARR gameplayer/limit break trailer (the music here gives me goosebumps, so epic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8

ARR character creation (alpha version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR7ZfIyuHp0

Long read but spot on and very informative, thankfully i actually play the game and have legacy status. I can't wait for it to land, it aint long now by the way. It's a fresh start and i for one am looking forward to it, enough of these latest  games which are all flash and no dash.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Originally posted by Aesowhreap
    I want more turn based mmorpgs like the ones on the old console systems.

I agree. I got into playing Nestalgia (using the Byond platform) for a while as it has the joy of an old-school turn-based RPG with MMO elements and social opportunities. I don't know the demand exists for a AAA version, but I would love to play one!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    one question i have is there a digital download version in the EU this time? thats the main thing that stopped me trying it last time around..
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    one question i have is there a digital download version in the EU this time? thats the main thing that stopped me trying it last time around..

There has been no confirmation for a digital download version - however, all current FFXIV owners are given access to download the new game for free regardless of region. You don't need another physical copy.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Caldrin

There has been no confirmation for a digital download version - however, all current FFXIV owners are given access to download the new game for free regardless of region. You don't need another physical copy.

never brought the origional as there was no digi download.. and never any in my local shops..

Will keep an eye out on their site anyway..

Thanks

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well written post, however it had the opposite effect on me, pretty sure this isn't a title to my liking.

I'm more of a open world, FFA PVP sort of person and you used the term instanced far too many times.   image

In the end it sounds like a very pretty, hopefully well crafted theme park style game, and I'm pretty much done with those.

But good luck and enjoy, hope it all works out as well as you say.

I don't mean to mislead-- this isn't going to be like Stark Trek 2.0 in terms of it's heavy reliance on instancing. Expect it to be an open world experience that uses instances to support it-- just like XI and GW2 did. If that's still not your bag, sorry to hear it.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Entry level sub is $9.99. You don't have to pay the 12.99 but you will be restricted to having one character as opposed to what, 64 with the standard sub?

Some comments are way too optimistic. Especially if they don't want to rush the launch, a minor delay of 1-2 months can easily extend to 3 plus. Some reports from a source that has been right on many occasions before state that the internal release date is already set to July 2013 due to the delays in Alpha start date and development schedule. Take the info as you may but let's not paint rainbows to the sky when it's not warranted. That is what leads to disappointment in the end.

The July release is pretty much 100% speculation at this point. Officially the game is still slotted to launch early next year, so my expectations lie closer to that than 6 months away. Still, it's a possibility.

As for the optimism... based on the alpha leaks I've seen... personally I've become very optimistic. I enjoy XIV a lot in it's current interation and a much improved version of that has me super excited.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Since I do have previous FFXIV game bought, which means I don't have to buy new box and that this game does not have cash shop and that I don't have time and usually don't like to play more than one character in mmorpg which mean I will be able to use cheapest subsciption plan it means that I will definately give this game a chance :)
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Zones will now be instanced. (At launch)

The only reason im not going to return to this game.

• ValarienceValarience Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Zadawn

I believe he means zones in the same sense as we see them in GW2 or FFXI, as opposed to the current game where each region is seamless...sort of like megazones. The world won't be instanced in th same sense as GW1 if that's what you're concerned about.
    Originally posted by AstralEcho

I believe he means zones in the same sense as we see them in GW2 or FFXI, as opposed to the current game where each region is seamless...sort of like megazones. The world won't be instanced in th same sense as GW1 if that's what you're concerned about.

That's still very bad information...

I would like information what EXACTLY is meant by instancing.  I don't like non-seamless zones like in GW2 / AoC/ FFXI and most of mmorpg's also.

Originally posted by fenistil

I would like information what EXACTLY is meant by instancing.  I don't like non-seamless zones like in GW2 / AoC/ FFXI and most of mmorpg's also.

What astral said is what I meant- I will update the original post to better explain this.

If seemless zones are a requirement for you, then you probably won't like the way ARR is set up.

Since I do have previous FFXIV game bought, which means I don't have to buy new box and that this game does not have cash shop and that I don't have time and usually don't like to play more than one character in mmorpg which mean I will be able to use cheapest subsciption plan it means that I will definately give this game a chance :)

Glad to hear it!

Glad to hear it!

Well if SE changed FFXIV to zoned game like GW2, TSW, AoC or similar then I don't know if I will play it. It is something that I really don't like.   Guess I will decide when / if I will be able to play beta or trial.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

This game has a pretty nasty history preceding it... will be interesting to see if they overcome it.  Been a FF fan since FF1 back in 87 but felt the series went off the rails with FF7.  I like my old school gameplay.

The alpha video looked very nice.  But a beautiful world does not a good MMO make.  Like others, its going to come down to the combat, and not just the mechanics of it but the *feel* which is really hard to pinpoint.  Mostly a personal feeling.  I also heard it will have WOW-like questing (fine)... but is the questing linear for quest hub-to-quest hub or are there reasons to just roam around and do other things?

Does it include other systems? such as:

Fishing?

Swimming?

Crafting? (meaning can I craft weapons as good as the ones I buy/drop?)

Housing?

Boats/Airships? (Which I can control and fly around?)

Is all of these surrounding systems that will make me want to sub because I will want to explore it. 

Ill buy it and sub for one month to give it a go.  Looking food so far but looks have been constantly decieving recently.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

So you must not be playing another launched in the past 5 years or so.

What are you playing now?  Or are you on the sidelines?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The seamless zones in FFXIV 1.0 was a major reason for the game's technical failure, it resulted in bland copy-pasted open world, server and engine issues. By zoning they get to make each zone have more character, and solve server issues, it's a small price to pay, given the horrible mess of 1.0.

It’s important to understand this as a technical limitation, not a design decision made arbitrarily. It would be like complaining that the graphics are not as good as a single player game.