Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Learn the Basics in Latest Video

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Zenimax Online has put together an in-depth introduction of the The Elder Scrolls Online's basic features in this latest video.

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    This is the first bit of news from TESO that really puts it on my radar.  They went out of there way here to show that this isn't just Elder Scrolls of Warcraft.  Of course, once we actually get to see gameplay we'll have a better idea of what they are talking about here.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• achmed20achmed20 Member Posts: 23

this would have been a perfect sandbox game, yet we just get another Themepark.

especialy the "classes" part realy fucked me off. this is not TES, this is gw2 and swtor mixed together.

can't say im disapointed cause i didn't expect anthing else.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Nice vid, seems they are ramping up.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    This is the first bit of news from TESO that really puts it on my radar.  They went out of there way here to show that this isn't just Elder Scrolls of Warcraft.  Of course, once we actually get to see gameplay we'll have a better idea of what they are talking about here.

To be fare you should of seen that with all the latest news from people who have played it and talk to the devs before this vid.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Even IF it was exactly like a ES game people would complain that it's the same old same old! Guess ya can't please anyone.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by achmed20

especialy the "classes" part realy fucked me off. this is not TES, this is gw2 and swtor mixed together.

I will be honest and say it isn't the direction I would have gone with the IP either.

But... It is what it is.

No point in keep whining about it forever. Time to judge it on what it aims to be, rather then what you demand it to be.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

To be fare you should of seen that with all the latest news from people who have played it and talk to the devs before this vid.

To be 'fair' I watched all of those and those didn't put the game on my radar.  Watching this video - somewhere in the middle - the game suddenly became interesting to me.  I was simply saying that something here made the game interesting to me where before it wasn't.  You can't always put a finger on what exactly made a game interesting - sometimes, it just happens.  Time will tell if interest continues or wanes.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    that pvp battle looks epic
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

nice -like what i see!..looks promising!...wonder what engine card they are using to display such great

graphics and textures! -If they implement a 3 or a 4th faction, this is a game ill dig into!

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

the class system seems to be more akin to the class system in oblivion.  any class can wear any armor, and use any weapon.

the only thing left is can they all learn most/all abilities

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 801
    I -hate- the way those character models look.  The Argonians look like shit.  I really hope they give us an option to buff up our characters so we don't look like sticks with huge helmets on our heads.  Not sure about any of that animation either...  Not looking so smooth, but hopefully that's just because it's so early in development.  I'm truly worried about character design though, creatures look great...  Player characters, not so much.  If that sucks I won't be playing the game.  It's one of the main reasons I hated SWTOR.
    I like to complain about games.
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    I -hate- the way those character models look.  The Argonians look like shit.  I really hope they give us an option to buff up our characters so we don't look like sticks with huge helmets on our heads.  Not sure about any of that animation either...  Not looking so smooth, but hopefully that's just because it's so early in development.  I'm truly worried about character design though, creatures look great...  Player characters, not so much.  If that sucks I won't be playing the game.  It's one of the main reasons I hated SWTOR.

The game is a year away so i wouldn't put to much stock in the characters.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The only thing I don't like is raiding, if I'm forced to do it to get the best gear as it was in WoW, I just won't play it. I raided so much in WoW, it burnt me out. I just won't do it again. The weather system looks nice though. Being a heavily phasing game is of concern for me too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Sorry, but when I watch that it just does not feel like an Elder Scrolls game.  It looks like the whole point of the game is to play the level game to 50 then do the usual things people do at level 50.

The things I enjoy about the Elder Scrolls were not to be found anywhere in that video.  Housing?  Nope.  Crafting?  Nothing.  Walking around picking flowers for my Alchemist, nope?   Riding a horse?  Nope.  Being able to go anywhere at anytime and not be restricted?  Big time no.

This game could be a great sandbox game where instead of combat as the focus, existing in the game world and building is the focus like it was in early SWG.

Just seems like abother themepark MMO with forced restrictions and a goal of getting to level 50 to either PVP or Run Instances/Dungeons.

Maybe one of these days the developers of MMOs will realize it's player interaction that makes a great game and not game mechanics.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Ridrith

Some models are going to be changed, i've read that in an interview somewhere. Anyway i like the human models, but i think argonians should be changed.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by achmed20

I'm confused....no elder scrolls game has really been a sandbox.  They are, as a whole, a very exploration driven and story driven series of games.  Ones which placed a lot of weight in choices and variety.  From what I see, its staying very true to the formula the series already has made.  I mean, I love sandboxes.  But they just don't work for all games man.  A true, good, sandbox is one that has no story.  Its a game where the player generates its content FOR it.  I mean, thats exactly why EVE is the best selling and most played sandbox still out.  Even UO players pretty much forgot all about the lore of the game the second they entered it because it immediately became a game about what they players were doing.

People buying ESO aren't looking for that.  They want to play with lots of friends in THAT world.  If they stripped it down and just left it all to a sandbox...it would take away from the fact its an Elder Scrolls game.  Having those areas fleshed out, with all the bells and whistles is imperative here.  Its not like you could build your own boats and roads and houses in any other ES game anyway.  Oh, sure, hearthfire gave you a few tiny plots of land to toy with...and that was fun.  But its not a sandbox by any stretch of the imagination.  Minecraft is a sandbox.  In fact, every discussion ABOUT sandboxes should really start using that as its neutral position.  Everything else simply has a few sandbox elements.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The Elder Scrolls is a dominant game on the PC for one reason, because it is moddable.  That is what separates this game from other single player RPGs.  They release a construction set and players create whatever they want, and a lot of times they create things that are actually better that what the game developers did.

That is why the game is so popular.  And that is the CORE part of the TES games.  Freedom to do whatever you want.  Sure, you can do the developer content if you want, but the game offers a much richer experience if you take part in the player MODs. 

If you only played TES on a console and have not had any player mods, you are missing out on the core aspect of the game.  That freedom is what separates TES games from other games, and from the 9 minute video it looks like another themepark MMO where you will churn through the game in three weeks then not play it again until the first expansion is released.....just like every other MMO on the market.

Take note " once you get to level 50 that's where the game opens up" thank god. 

Originally posted by koboldfodder

Sorry, but when I watch that it just does not feel like an Elder Scrolls game.  It looks like the whole point of the game is to play the level game to 50 then do the usual things people do at level 50.

The things I enjoy about the Elder Scrolls were not to be found anywhere in that video.  Housing?  Nope.  Crafting?  Nothing.  Walking around picking flowers for my Alchemist, nope?   Riding a horse?  Nope.  Being able to go anywhere at anytime and not be restricted?  Big time no.

This game could be a great sandbox game where instead of combat as the focus, existing in the game world and building is the focus like it was in early SWG.

Just seems like abother themepark MMO with forced restrictions and a goal of getting to level 50 to either PVP or Run Instances/Dungeons.

Maybe one of these days the developers of MMOs will realize it's player interaction that makes a great game and not game mechanics.

There is crafting and  gathering plus housing will be in with an expansion and mounts will be in. As for walking around going any place at anytime, i agree but i guess you can't have it all.

Have you seen the recent news before this vid over the last three weeks, it tells you a bit about crafting and how mats can be picked up in houses and just about anywhere like in the SP TES games.

Time to get used to the fact that this game is not SP TES game and never will be.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Not what i'm after but hopefully it'll be enjoyable enough to last me until something great comes out. Gameplay doesn't do anything new and graphically it's underwhelming. The IP and its lore are its strongest assets which will surely draw us all in, but for how long?

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm somewhat interested in the game - it looks better than what was first announced, certainly.

Still, I would have preferred something that was a little closer to other TES games.

And seriously, do we need another themepark game that basically does the same thing dozens of other games have already done?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    From what I've seen of the crafting it sounds good, mostly sticking to tes with a little uov& daoc. Certainly not wow cloney.

I'm more concerned about the large amount of instancing. Tes is a persistent world, daoc Is a persistent world. This isn't.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

So, I take it that Zenimax is now or will be a paid advertiser here?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Some things from tes won't translate directly to a mmo.

For example the combat.
    You can't pause a mmo, so tes combat exactly as is would never work (of course they could gave gone something like darkfall combat)
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I like the idea of TES right click + left click combat w/ power attacks/blocks etc.

But yeah, you can't pause and pick a new spell or skill so they had to include a hotbar.

I'm glad it's only 6.

I just hope the abilities aren't like 99% of the damage you do and you actually have to get good at using the FPS style combat like Skyrim to really succeed.

And I wonder if you'll be able to assign spells to Left/Right click or if all spells are on the hotbar.

Would make sense if you had basic attack spells for left click or charge ups like Skyrim etc.