Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online (video)

SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

http://youtu.be/KxJTsq2XeKY

Think this was just posted today, couldn't see it anywhere else on the forums:

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Most definitely NOT the "WoW clone" the haters are trying to make it out to be.

Very interested now.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    the game world looks massive and amazing.  some stiff character animations,  but it is still alpha.  looks great.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Can you show me where in the video did they prove it's not a WoW clone?

'Cuz I didn't see it.

Combat is turn based, maybe closer to GW2 than WoW but far from the combat of Skyrim, for example.

Graphics are worse than Skyrim (how did they manage that with no console restrictions?), which only tells me they try to cater to the WoW crowd with their dated computers.

All we need are the exclamation marks (I trust they will add their own version, which is the diamonds) over the quest givers' heads.

There is zero sand in this box and the only saving grace MIGHT be the three faction open world PvP, but only if the the map is big enough and can hold enough people.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

pretty....then again GW2 is just as pretty......and i haven't logged in in over a month.

i like the art style and design. it does bring me back, at times, to the Skyrim world.

i dislike how they never showed a single shot of the UI and tab targeting....probably because when un-hide the UI you are pretty much back to playing Rift. That's rigth boys, if you hide the UI in Rift that's pretty much what it looks like.

I am still incredibly hurt they didn't make this game a first person experience. In the end i still have a lot of doubts that this gaem will feel any different then just one more WoW clone with pretty graphics.

only time will tell i guess.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

pretty....then again GW2 is just as pretty......and i haven't logged in in over a month.

i like the art style and design. it does bring me back, at times, to the Skyrim world.

i dislike how they never showed a single shot of the UI and tab targeting....probably because when un-hide the UI you are pretty much back to playing Rift. I am still incredibly hurt they didn't make this game a first person experience. In the end i have still have a lot of doubts that this gaem will feel any different then just one more WoW clone with pretty graphics.

only time will tell i guess.

if you watch the whole video they show the mini map and the cross hairs.  as to the rest of the ui my guess is they havent finished designing it yet.  they're also still working of first person. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's got instanced mini game pvp
    It's got instanced dungeons
    It's got instanced raid endgame

I dont think its a wow clone, yet, but if it involves people sat in cities waiting to go any of these instances one they've leveled - it has the worst feature of wow.

I'm British I queue enough in real life, I'm not going to spend my game time doing it.
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Looks really good so far.  Seems more like a GW2 clone than a WoW clone, which is a good thing IMO.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Can you show me where in the video did they prove it's not a WoW clone?'Cuz I didn't see it.Combat is turn based, maybe closer to GW2 than WoW but far from the combat of Skyrim, for example.

So, real time reticle aiming with left click to attack and right click to block style combat is a turn based clone of WoWs combat?

Seriously, not enough /facepalms in the world.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Looks awesome
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's got instanced mini game pvp It's got instanced dungeonsIt's got instanced raid endgameI dont think its a wow clone, yet, but if it involves people sat in cities waiting to go any of these instances one they've leveled - it has the worst feature of wow.I'm British I queue enough in real life, I'm not going to spend my game time doing it.

as far as i have read there isn't going to be queues and i wasn't aware that the dungeons will be instances, i thought they were open?

or do you mean because there is multiple copies of the same zone that makes it an instance?

in that case, what does it matter? its not the same as an instance dungeon where its your own personal dungeon just for your group.

that is how wow does it.

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Can you show me where in the video did they prove it's not a WoW clone?'Cuz I didn't see it.Combat is turn based, maybe closer to GW2 than WoW but far from the combat of Skyrim, for example.Graphics are worse than Skyrim (how did they manage that with no console restrictions?), which only tells me they try to cater to the WoW crowd with their dated computers.All we need are the exclamation marks (I trust they will add their own version, which is the diamonds) over the quest givers' heads.There is zero sand in this box and the only saving grace MIGHT be the three faction open world PvP, but only if the the map is big enough and can hold enough people. 

from the reviews i have seen people are reporting that the graphics are actually better than skyrim.

also, comparing a single player game's graphic capabilities to an mmo that is designed to have 200 players on the screen at the same time is kind of silly.

• neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    The video looked nice but remined me of SWTOR videos put out.  I do hope the games lives up to any hype it gets because I feel pretty burn over the last five years or so.   I do plan on playing this game.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's got instanced mini game pvp It's got instanced dungeonsIt's got instanced raid endgameI dont think its a wow clone, yet, but if it involves people sat in cities waiting to go any of these instances one they've leveled - it has the worst feature of wow.I'm British I queue enough in real life, I'm not going to spend my game time doing it.

as far as i have read there isn't going to be queues and i wasn't aware that the dungeons will be instances, i thought they were open?

or do you mean because there is multiple copies of the same zone that makes it an instance?

in that case, what does it matter? its not the same as an instance dungeon where its your own personal dungeon just for your group.

that is how wow does it.

it will have open and instanced dungeons.  but that guy doesnt know what he's talking about.  i've learned to ignore him.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Where do they say that the combat is turn based? I didn't see that anywhere before the guy posted earlier in this thread.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I was led to believe that the game would have combat similar to Skyrim's. I don't see it. If you try to fight in Skyrim like they fight in the video, you're gonna die.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by neum
    The video looked nice but remined me of SWTOR videos put out.  I do hope the games lives up to any hype it gets because I feel pretty burn over the last five years or so.   I do plan on playing this game.

other than how the video was presented it doesn't remind me of swtor really at all except for the story aspect.

for me the sad pvp and end game is what really killed tor

the pvp in teso looks like it has serious potential IMO

still, it remains to be seen how this game will keep people playing where other recent games have failed.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

other than how the video was presented it doesn't remind me of swtor really at all except for the story aspect.

still, it remains to be seen how this game will keep people playing where other recent games have failed.

If the world is fully explorable and not separated by loading screens it will help, for me at least. I do love being able to just explore a game world that seems vast like SWG, DAOC and WoW at the beginning to an extent. Even in DayZ I spend half my time exploring everything since there is no fast travel or instanced zones. I think that's one of the best bits about Skyrim, I can just wander off and see what's happening over the other side of the continent if I want.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Loved what i've seen and this is just alpha. It looks promising can't wait for more details!
  • sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

If the world is fully explorable and not separated by loading screens it will help, for me at least. I do love being able to just explore a game world that seems vast like SWG, DAOC and WoW at the beginning to an extent. Even in DayZ I spend half my time exploring everything since there is no fast travel or instanced zones. I think that's one of the best bits about Skyrim, I can just wander off and see what's happening over the other side of the continent if I want.

I think i've read in a fansite that there will be loading screens, but really short. Don't quote me on that one, maybe it's not true.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

ShaKyMo- Where are you reading instanced mini game pvp? As far as isntanced dungeons and raiding, i really don't care as long as there's no vertical, tier based progression associated with it.

Sitting in cities? Any game with instances will have you waiting for people. Endgame pve is all the same in themeparks. To me, it will be teh RVR to decide.

As far as the trailer goes, it looked good. Nothing really amazing, but not bad. No new bit of info either, but that pvp battle looked nice. 

But i'm sorry, it literally felt like i was watching a GW2/SWTOR hype trailer put together. Was i the only one bursting of laughter at 6:30 with the "You save the village and they'll remember and thank you" line? Cmon, that was just too funny. 

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

Not impressed, not at all, even a bit disappointed, character/ armor models look like it's coming from a mix between mortal kombat and power ranger, definately not out from an elders scrolls, hell, only the "horns" on some helms refers to some of the armor set in skyrim but the other piece of armor looks like shit, i don't like the combat animation too, it's not "free" at all, you are locked on a target and seem like you have to push the skills buttons until it's dead, i saw very limited moves, and character freedom of movement while fighting locked on an enemy doesn't seem to exist.

Graphically wise, it's far from great, it's at the same level or, on par with rift for a company like Bethesda and taking a look at what they already made, they are fucking kidding with us with these dumbed down graphics, everything is mixed between a semi cartoonish / realistic style, if you played morrowind, oblivion and skyrim lately you know it's not the realistic "ambiance" of this rpg franchise, i fear that zones are "instanced" zones, with level limitations for each of them, i don't like that it doesn't fit in a elder scroll game, (ennemies will be un-killable in other zones if you haven't reached the level necessary to kill anything there, wich is, again, stupid and against what an elder scroll is in nature.)

I will surely "try" it, but i'm not pleased with what i see, and what they are delivering, if it does not feel like a vast world with huge exploring and a lot of interaction possible with the world just like other elder scrolls, then i will pass quickly on this forfaiture.

I don't understand this result with the TON of 3D models, animations, textures etc etc, they gathered across their different game these past ten years, that "quality" is unacceptable.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Thanks for the link.  It shaping up pretty well.  I'm still bummed about the lack of housing but it does seem like they've got a better grasp than I thought they had on what's great about the Elder Scrolls games.  Going to follow this one more closely now.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Disclaimer: the following is all IMHO.

• Everything up to 7:20 in this vid is useless and I couldn't care less about any of those features (but the action combat)
    • Everything past 7:20, *if* they really pull it off like that, will make me cry of joy.

BUT There's still that big IF.

Will see. Certainly I would not pre-order/kickstart/whatever or keep my hopes up until I see first hand how the "RvR" plays. If I rabidly hate anything, that's blind fanboism.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

This game might almost be interesting if it wasn't for the phasing and HEAVY instancing. Not to mention how broken apart the world and servers are.

The Elderscrolls are an imersive experience, this seems like it won't be.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Instanced world. Instanced PvP. Instanced Normal and Heroic mode dungeons/raids. Hm.