Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official FFXIV Alpha Video

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Thanks for the link.  To be honest, I was expecting something a little more 'impressive'. It looked like a tour through a normal wooded MMO zone.  Perhaps I'm getting spoiled with so many gorgeous MMO's around these days.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Thanks for posting this.. Looks amazing!  I see a lot of vets complaining about "downgraded" graphics but I don't see it..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Videos like this are classic, I just watched someone walk around for 5 minutes.
    If i were to play this i would exhaust the "fun" of walking around within an hour.

Is walking enough to constitute a 30 day subscription? and beyond? i think not.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

its a city show... what you want them to show u in a city? Design and NPCS. 

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Nitth

If i were to play this i would exhaust the "fun" of walking around within an hour.

Are you serious? They wanted to show the difference between the old Gridania and the new.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Game looks outstanding, can't wait!
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Probably easily pleased but I liked the FFXIV graphics and these look great.

If there is a decent game set in this world I will play it.

time to change my Hype for this game to a 10

O.o

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Reminds me of the old "Making of a Realm" series for FFXIV.

The Landscape looks like it's missing ambient lightning and occlusion lightning. (Like you would expect from an Alpha Version). However it might exlain why it looks (and probably is) "poor" on graphic quality. Lightning creates ambient an good example is: The shallow lights illuminating nearby people at twilight right before the tavern.

Even for FFXIV 14 they added them during late BETA.
    It could also be that due to the new setting those flat colors are due to a faulty gamma setting, or "low" graphic settings since we don't know on what this game did run.

I'm giving them the benefit of daubt till i can verify this myself, after all they did it right with FFXIV so there is nothing telling me they can't do it again.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

So you don't know what the VID is trying to say, did you play FFXIV.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    It still look like Gridania, but "feels" more like a real mmo now, freedom of movement and enviromental depth are improved, but the most important test will be the fps and stability on our own PCs, which we wont get to test for awhile. If this works its going to be really weird playing FFXIV and actually able to immerse and enjoy without the engine, controls or UI getting in the way.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

When I first saw how much tedious running there was through bad enviroments in MikeB's infamous ZAM review of FFXIV at launch I couldnt believe it, but it was true, Tanaka must have been insane. I hope we get mounts a lot easier and sooner in ARR, and a sprint option would be nice, walking about was the dullest of any rpg, and waiting a year for chocobos was insulting. Didnt help that there wasnt anywhere interesting to visit in open world. Lets hope they pander to explorers this time. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Thanks for the link.  To be honest, I was expecting something a little more 'impressive'. It looked like a tour through a normal wooded MMO zone.  Perhaps I'm getting spoiled with so many gorgeous MMO's around these days.

wow... you guys are a hard sell ;)

I thought that the graphics on show were pretty impressive personally.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

its a city show... what you want them to show u in a city? Design and NPCS. 

Which is kinda pointless, since we all saw the city and NPCs in FFIV, what we want to see is the revamped combat.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Looks very good, love the new UI design.  Would certainly have a 2nd look at this game when it launch.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

wow... you guys are a hard sell ;)

I thought that the graphics on show were pretty impressive personally.

It actually looked worse than the current FFIV looks on my computer, might just be the computer / settings they were using though.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    tbh i thought i was done with this title..but seen has there is a lot of effort gone into this.i will give this a month of sub time and see if its changed for the better..lets be honest it certainly could'nt be worse than the original..gfx to me looked a little like lotro just better.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

It looks about the same a GW2 (on my PC with an HD 7950 with setting set to max) - I was expecting better that this.

Still might look into it, though.

Sure, but GW is a release game with patchs already, and this is an Alpha version with Graphic options disabled (AA not enabled in alpha client and more things like lightning/shadows quality)
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh all fine and dandy but I only see a char walking around, for me they are trying to sell the graphics, not the gameplay who from when I beta tested changed a lot, at least now the menus looks like a real menu
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    There's something about the FF artstyle, UI, sounds and ambiance that I always love. Hard to pinpoint what it is.

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

Walking is part of MMO's, if you don't like it then go play a singleplayer game .

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

It looks amazing, it's too bad we have to wait so long until it is released.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• LaluniaLalunia Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    meh all fine and dandy but I only see a char walking around, for me they are trying to sell the graphics, not the gameplay who from when I beta tested changed a lot, at least now the menus looks like a real menu

There are official video's of the new battle system, but it is from older Alpha, this was shown at 14 sep 2012, so things could have change since then. It is work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnFLSH2jkjw&feature=plcp

0:55:22 Archer

0:57:54 Lancer

1:13:10 Conjurer

Shown at 7 sep 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_737hYbSCEs&feature=relmfu

0:40:50 Lancer 

They changed the whole TP system, before you had to get TP to do your special moves, now you start with max TP and can start with special moves, that alone will make combat go faster. 

There is a combo system in it and there will be limit breaks.

I didn't read to much about combat yet, since I don't care that much for combat. So I am not sure if the combo system is different then what they now have in FFXIV, or how the limit break works. 

The most important thing I like in combat is what actually was already in FFXIV, and that is that you can combine many different skills with different classes. I love that part. Also that you can change so easily from class to class is great in my opinion, but also not new. It has at least a lot more dept then FFXI, which I also loved a lot. 

I didn't care much about the slow combat in FFXIV, and now that it will be faster, i still don't care that much. I mean I enjoyed UO for 3 years, and combat was just klicking the enemy most of the time, a warrior didn't have any skills (of course they changed that much later, but I was gone by that time)  But for people who do care about such things, I wonder if FFXIV can make it exciting enough for them. 

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The whole point of this game is that the previos incarnation was a total flop fest.  It had nice graphics, but that's about it.  The reason I want to play the newer version is for the MMO enhancements, I could not care less what Gardinia looks like.

Why not put out a vidoe that focuses on the actual changes being made......