Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Korea Hot Stocks-NCsoft plunges on dim earnings forecasts

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49736295

SEOUL, Nov 8 (Reuters) - South Korea's main KOSPI index was down 1.39 percent at 1,910.61 as of 0201 GMT. The index opened down 1.29 percent.

Stocks on the move on Thursday include:

**NCSOFT CORP **

Shares in NCsoft Corp fell 8.92 percent to 194,000 won, their lowest in 20 months, on dim earnings forecast for the South Korean online game developer, despite reporting a nearly 50 percent jump in third-quarter operating profit on Wednesday.

"Despite the release of (game titles) 'Blade & Soul' and 'Guild Wars 2', reported third-quarter earnings fell below expectations," said Park Jae-suk, an analyst at Samsung Securities.

"The company's performance is seen rapidly slowing down after the fourth quarter, until Blade and Soul's China release gains momentum in the third quarter of next year."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Did you notice all stocks plunged yesterday as a result of the US election and continuing uncertainty in Europe?  (Dow went down 313 points, S&P and Nasdaq also pllunged)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    A 9% drop is quite considerable considedring they've had two major releases this year. But the interesting thing is Blade and Soul going to China 3rd quarter 2013 so how does that affect the Western release and the release of GW2 in China and S Korea? are they going to be 2014?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I don't think a entertainment company trading on S Korea stock exchange would be affected by events in the Western world would you? Asia is booming its us in the west thats suffering.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I can only hope that developers start to see now that profits are made by offering quality of development and not creative new revenue models. B2P, the way of the future? I don't know, seems gamers may not want cash shops in their AAA titles afterall. I don't. GW2 is a well crafted game and deserves to succeed, but I don't want this revenue model to "catch on".

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Even the stocks were overhyped fanboys :O

haha :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Did you notice all stocks plunged yesterday as a result of the US election and continuing uncertainty in Europe?  (Dow went down 313 points, S&P and Nasdaq also pllunged)

Correct but NCSoft didn't hit their target figures, as they were hoping for better sales. 

Mind you they are not the only ones, lots of game publishers are seeing lower than expected sales figures, it's an industry wide problem it seems.

The result of oversaturation. theres x amount of gamers and x amount of games. these games are fighting over a thined out player base. untill games start shuting down and returning the player base back to the center for redistrubution, youll continue to see this.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Correct but NCSoft didn't hit their target figures, as they were hoping for better sales. 

Mind you they are not the only ones, lots of game publishers are seeing lower than expected sales figures, it's an industry wide problem it seems.

The result of oversaturation. theres x amount of gamers and x amount of games. these games are fighting over a thined out player base. untill games start shuting down and returning the player base back to the center for redistrubution, youll continue to see this.

except when any other game compnay's stock falls right?  that's obviously not over-saturation.  it's a fail.  right?  sick of hypocritical exuses. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

But we're off topic, I'll agree, a downward forecast of earnings can drive stock prices down, maybe investors are getting wise to the fact most of these titles are retreads with no longevity and not the big time money makers they are purported to be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by muffins89

except when any other game compnay's stock falls right?  that's obviously not over-saturation.  it's a fail.  right?  sick of hypocritical exuses. 

[mod edit]

i wasnt directing my comment at you.  i was directing it at what you wrote.  i can see how it could be construed that i was attacking you.  but,  i assure you that was not my intent.   cheers.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

[mod edit]

i wasnt directing my comment at you.  i was directing it at what you wrote.  i can see how it could be construed that i was attacking you.  but,  i assure you that was not my intent.   cheers.

my apologies =)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Activision Blizzard took an abrupt nosedive Wednesday morning too - what shall we conclude, that WoW is doomed? Heard this for 8 years now, still makes me laugh since the very first day.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by bcbully
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/49736295 SEOUL, Nov 8 (Reuters) - South Korea's main KOSPI index was down 1.39 percent at 1,910.61 as of 0201 GMT. The index opened down 1.29 percent.Stocks on the move on Thursday include:**NCSOFT CORP **Shares in NCsoft Corp fell 8.92 percent to 194,000 won, their lowest in 20 months, on dim earnings forecast for the South Korean online game developer, despite reporting a nearly 50 percent jump in third-quarter operating profit on Wednesday."Despite the release of (game titles) 'Blade & Soul' and 'Guild Wars 2', reported third-quarter earnings fell below expectations," said Park Jae-suk, an analyst at Samsung Securities."The company's performance is seen rapidly slowing down after the fourth quarter, until Blade and Soul's China release gains momentum in the third quarter of next year."  

So, since the company will be making less money in the coming few month, people are going to invest less money in that company. Shocking.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Activision Blizzard took an abrupt nosedive Wednesday morning too - what shall we conclude, that WoW is doomed? Heard this for 8 years now, still makes me laugh since the very first day.

That's just not true at all.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ATVI

Blizzard lost less than 1%. This is what's being said about Acti/Blizz 3rd qt report. Activision Blizzard Reports Higher Profits; Raises Outlook (ATVI)

Here is the comparison graph.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523

Everyone is taking a hit from the global econimic situation; from west to east and north to south. I was just reading an article on a Spanish news website about how toy companies will be taking a hit this holiday season; people are feeling the crunch and entertainment is not high on the priority list.

To assume that somehow NCsoft's underperformance is indicative of an isolated downward spiral apart from the global economic downturn we're all experiencing I think is at the very least premature, if not completely incorrect.

I'm not a fanboi or trying to justify/defend NCsoft. I owe them no loyalty, I'm just a gamer who enjoys playing games.

I agree with The_Korrigan, you need more than just economic numbers from one quarter to argue the doom of any game.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by sammandar

Everyone is taking a hit from the global econimic situation; from west to east and north to south. I was just reading an article on a Spanish news website about how toy companies will be taking a hit this holiday season; people are feeling the crunch and entertainment is not high on the priority list.

To assume that somehow NCsoft's underperformance is indicative of an isolated downward spiral apart from the global economic downturn we're all experiencing I think is at the very least premature, if not completely incorrect.

I'm not a fanboi or trying to justify/defend NCsoft. I owe them no loyalty, I'm just a gamer who enjoys playing games.

I agree with The_Korrigan, you need more than just economic numbers from one quarter to argue the doom of any game.

Dismissing the false notion that Activation blizzard nosedived, truthfully you can take 1 countries numbers and make a general judgement. Lets face it Gw2 AND Blade and Souls both didn't fair as great as they would of expected. As such, the company's stocks fell greatly. How great it fell and the ammount it changed being related to the state of the economy to enhance that drop can be argued, but in the end it just shows both titles combined failed to deliver the numbers expected no matter how you like to spin it.

Originally posted by Gravarg
    I forcast this thread being locked, we don't do politics?

Nope, we don't here. Politics have invaded every aspect of our lives for the past couple months, it would be nice to have a couple "safe havens", such as this forum.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by bcbully

That's just not true at all.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ATVI

Blizzard lost less than 1%. This is what's being said about Acti/Blizz 3rd qt report. Activision Blizzard Reports Higher Profits; Raises Outlook (ATVI)

Here is the comparison graph.

I wouldn't waste your breath. These people will never get it. The koolaid must be too strong. It literally stated that revenue was below expectations even with the release of two new games indicating that it isn't performing as expected, and that this was the reason for the drop. I certainly don't want to be around when the koolaid wears off.

We know GW2 sales were very strong. Two titles. Why jump to the conclusion that GW2 is responsible for lower than forcast revenues? I've been completely unimpressed with recent videos I've seen of B&S and I have no idea what the competative market for MMOs in Korea currently looks like.

Seems more likely to me that B&S was a dud than that GW2 greatly underperformed expectations.

As to the GW2 business model, I don't know if they will ever come out and say how much revenue the cash shop model generates.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by sammandar

Dismissing the false notion that Activation blizzard nosedived, truthfully you can take 1 countries numbers and make a general judgement. Lets face it Gw2 AND Blade and Souls both didn't fair as great as they would of expected. As such, the company's stocks fell greatly. How great it fell and the ammount it changed being related to the state of the economy to enhance that drop can be argued, but in the end it just shows both titles combined failed to deliver the numbers expected no matter how you like to spin it.

If you wan't to argue numbers, out of the supposed 10 million wow players, how many have purchased MoP? In both cases, Blizzard and NCsoft, I believe it's too soon to assume any level of failure. Funny thing, is, you're the one spinning numbers, all I'm asking is that people not jump to conclusions based on spin. If NCsoft continues to underperform through the coming fiscal year, then that's another matter. That is why it takes 3 or more consecutive quarters to confirm a recession, not one.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

This is not to blame on GW2 like bc is trying to pin it on. We know it sold well and according to expectations. They seemed to have higer expectations for other titles. We also know that with the election results there are bound to be shakes felt on the market. Our market was also down yesterday.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Makes you kind of wonder all this research early in the morning late at night during the middle of the day, for a damn game you don't even play. 

Lol well I guess someone has to keep everyone entertained.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by sammyeli

Makes you kind of wonder all this research early in the morning late at night during the middle of the day, for a damn game you don't even play. 

Lol well I guess someone has to keep everyone entertained.

Yup

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I'm reopening this thread. No politics discussion is allowed on these forums. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Some desperate defence going on here, follow the money.
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Some desperate defence going on here, follow the money.

Its true, game is a flop and stocks shows how much of a flop one game out of the many Nexon/NCSoft have can just plunge the stock into oblivion.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-