Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any more sand in the sandbox?

Comments

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    I thought sandbox meant nearly wherever you want like Minecraft or something.

Best Regards, ...

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Aesowhreap
    I thought sandbox meant nearly wherever you want like Minecraft or something.

Please compose sentences that makes sense.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Trees that are only cosmetically different = Fluff

Trees that are cosmetically different and produce unique woods = Sand

So no, Darkfall is not adding more sand. That's the answer to OP's question.

So do you have access to information regarding UW the rest of us dont?  image As there seems to be a great deal of diversity in the new screenshots.

Just going to highlight the relevant part.

And that is exactly what the OP was looking for...Fluff image(keep backpeddling)  Who knows,  different racial strutures may produce different items in UW = Sand

So how do you know they added no new "sand" to UW?

At least you finally learned the difference between "Fluff" and "Sand" .image

/win

So, being able to create a Clan City wherever you want is "fluff". I guess the static nature of housing and clan cities in DF is really sandboxy isn't it? Same goes for Houses, Farms, Ships, etc.

It's not fluff. It's an integral part of sandboxes that offers a wider variety of experience to different players. In

Yawn, perhaps you need to reread the OP or feel free to create your own thread.

"In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) "

Offside! See, you didn't put the full quote there. It was actually "In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) and outside of castles there arent too many sandbox elements." So he's asking about sandbox elements in general, he wasn't so specific about Darkfall after all, as you claim in a later post. He gave one example, and it was fluff, but he didn't just ask about that one thing. Just admit that your first post was a lame attempt to troll and move on : )

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by feroshus

And that is exactly what the OP was looking for...Fluff image(keep backpeddling)  Who knows,  different racial strutures may produce different items in UW = Sand

/win

"In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) "

Offside! See, you didn't put the full quote there. It was actually "In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) and outside of castles there arent too many sandbox elements." So he's asking about sandbox elements in general, he wasn't so specific about Darkfall after all, as you claim in a later post. He gave one example, and it was fluff, but he didn't just ask about that one thing. Just admit that your first post was a lame attempt to troll and move on : )

image But his "one sandbox element " was Fluffwhich you confirmed.  Why would I bother expanding on that, as he (and others) clearly don't know the difference?

/win

image But his "one sandbox element " was Fluffwhich you confirmed.  Why would I bother expanding on that, as he (and others) clearly don't know the difference?

Once again a truncated quote, after that I said "but he didn't just ask about that one thing." He mentioned some things he liked about Archeage, clearly meaning that he would like to see these things in UW. The he finished with the general question ``So my question was has AV announced any additional sandbox features in UW or any plans for future sandbox features?``

[mod edit]

Originally posted by feroshus blah blah blah So my question was has AV announced any additional sandbox features in UW or any plans for future sandbox features?
    anything more than mindless troling. Fail troll is fail. Well actually you trolled that one guy, gratz bro image

If someone cant tell the difference betweeen an apple and an orange, why would I continue to debate the differences? [see post #31]

and once again, those that can't defend their posts resort to name calling.image

Originally posted by feroshus blah blah blah So my question was has AV announced any additional sandbox features in UW or any plans for future sandbox features?
    anything more than mindless troling. Fail troll is fail. Well actually you trolled that one guy, gratz bro image

If someone cant tell the difference betweeen an apple and an orange, why would I continue to debate the differences?

and once again, those that can't defend their posts resort to name calling.image

Your defense is getting more and more vague, now it's apples and oranges, whatever that means. No more red highlights and dunce emotes?

He was just asking a question, you were just trolling, simple as that. It was a legitimate question, and other people answered it alot better than you. /thread

So my question was has AV announced any additional sandbox features in UW or any plans for future sandbox features?

Your defense is getting more and more vague, now it's apples and oranges, whatever that means. No more red highlights and dunce emotes?

He was just asking a question, you were just trolling, simple as that. It was a legitimate question, and other people answered it alot better than you. /thread

OK I'll spell it out ... FLUFF vs SAND  (feel free to reread the thread..again...again)  I was trying to simplify given our current exchange. image  "If someone cant tell the difference betweeen an apple and an orange, why would I continue to debate the differences?" (replace RED with GREEN)

<----------------------------- (must be this tall to ride)

• SomebodyOverThereSomebodyOverThere Member Posts: 44

Here's a sandbox without sand.

Here's a sandbox with sand in it.

If a box is enough to be a considered a "sandbox", and sand is merely fluff, I think you're missing the point of a sandbox.

I hardly ever post anymore on MMORPG.com (and rarely even read here anymore) - too many fanboys hyped up over the same old games with new names and different packaging. But, I will make a new post now (it has been over a year) just to reply to this:

Your post should be added to an MMORPG discussion hall-of-fame. Most people, whether so-called sandbox supporters or sandbox opposers, don't even know what a sandbox is. Your simple, straight-to-the-point, visual explanation hits the nail on the head.

Originally posted by SuperFreeza
     Your simple, straight-to-the-point, visual explanation hits the nail on the head.

Yet fails in the context of this thread.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by SuperFreeze

I hardly ever post anymore on MMORPG.com (and rarely even read here anymore) - too many fanboys hyped up over the same old games with new names and different packaging.

Well, we liked what Darkfall could have been without the insane grind and the useless GUI. Now it looks like AV have fixed the things that made DF bad, and yes we are hyped again.

Sure it could have been more sand in Darkfall, but for the main group of players it`s more enough. Just look at the forums and you`ll see all the big clans are trying DF again. For me personally, everything not related to PVP is fluff, and I hope every grain of sand AV put into the game is pvp related. If I want to make dresses or mow down stupid NPCs, I`d play second life or GW2.

Darkfall is a  full-loot pvp sandbox and I hope it stays that way.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If a box is enough to be a considered a "sandbox", and sand is merely fluff, I think you're missing the point of a sandbox.

I hardly ever post anymore on MMORPG.com (and rarely even read here anymore) - too many fanboys hyped up over the same old games with new names and different packaging. But, I will make a new post now (it has been over a year) just to reply to this:

Your post should be added to an MMORPG discussion hall-of-fame. Most people, whether so-called sandbox supporters or sandbox opposers, don't even know what a sandbox is. Your simple, straight-to-the-point, visual explanation hits the nail on the head.

Yeah I agree that was pretty awesome. Idk who was doing what to this point.

edit- grrr just read the first page....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by SuperFreeze

I hardly ever post anymore on MMORPG.com (and rarely even read here anymore) - too many fanboys hyped up over the same old games with new names and different packaging.

Well, we liked what Darkfall could have been without the insane grind and the useless GUI. Now it looks like AV have fixed the things that made DF bad, and yes we are hyped again.

Sure it could have been more sand in Darkfall, but for the main group of players it`s more enough. Just look at the forums and you`ll see all the big clans are trying DF again. For me personally, everything not related to PVP is fluff, and I hope every grain of sand AV put into the game is pvp related. If I want to make dresses or mow down stupid NPCs, I`d play second life or GW2.

Darkfall is a  full-loot pvp sandbox and I hope it stays that way.

I'm a bit curious here, what kind of  "sand" could Aventurine add to the PvP?

DarkFall certainly needs some additions to it's PvP, but if a game's sole focus is purely on a single feature (i.e PvP in this case) well you're not getting a sandbox, you're getting a PvP game.

If I were to compare DarkFall to a Sandbox, I'd say that Darkfall is a box with a small bucket and just enough sand to fill the bucket.

If I were to compare it to a Themepark, I'd say that DarkFall is a single ride with some fast food restaurants around it.

It's a one trick pony.

You've admitted it yourself, you only care about the PvP, and DarkFall (being a PvP MMORPG) is perfect for you,  so I guess it's fairly easy not to see why DarkFall is not viewed exactly as a sandbox. Because players looking to experience something other than PvP will be severely disappointed. That is exactly what happened with DF1, the sandbox players left while the PvPers remained. It's highly likely that DFUW will be no different.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

But DF isnt just a sandbox, it has themepark like lsides and a roundabout as well as a sandbox thats only half full and has the occasional peice of cat turd in it. But theres more to it than jsut the sandbox elements.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

DarkFall certainly needs some additions to it's PvP, but if a game's sole focus is purely on a single feature (i.e PvP in this case) well you're not getting a sandbox, you're getting a PvP game.

If I were to compare DarkFall to a Sandbox, I'd say that Darkfall is a box with a small bucket and just enough sand to fill the bucket.

If I were to compare it to a Themepark, I'd say that DarkFall is a single ride with some fast food restaurants around it.

It's a one trick pony.

You've admitted it yourself, you only care about the PvP, and DarkFall (being a PvP MMORPG) is perfect for you,  so I guess it's fairly easy not to see why DarkFall is not viewed exactly as a sandbox. Because players looking to experience something other than PvP will be severely disappointed. That is exactly what happened with DF1, the sandbox players left while the PvPers remained. It's highly likely that DFUW will be no different.

I`m a bit tired by the anti-sandbox crowd.

What mmo ever made would you classify as a sandbox, and what makes that mmo a sandbox ?

As for the pvp sand. I would like the tailor to be able to make clan clothes, so it is easier to see friendly players in pvp. I would also like it to be a landfortress just as the sea fortress. The crafters should be able to chose the skin of the weapons they makes, so everybody didn`t use a justicebringer and we didn`t know the level of the weapon the enemy held.

Just because I focus on one single feature, doesn`t make the game less sandbox. If someone chose to take a different direction will be up to him. I played UO for 5 years, and ALL I did was pvp. It didn`t made UO less sandbox.

And yes, Darkfall is perfect if you like to feel something when you play a game. It forces you to make friends and socialize with other players.  I`m a grown up gamer, and I`m like a child waiting for christmas. Darkfall is for me the best game since UO. Some part is better and some are worse, but atleast it`s not the common wow clone.

At forumfall one player asked what Darkfall had to offer him, and I liked this answer from Phildragon:

death, glory, anger, laughter, full banks, empty banks, unpredictability,easy kills, Zergs, embarrassing deaths, stressful losses, wealth, fame, hatred, satisfaction, sense of achievement, personal vendettas, nemesis, friends, ally's, freedom, fear, suspense and fun

just to name a few, darkfall isnt just a game, its an emotional roller-coaster.

10 more days to wait.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

It's a one trick pony.

What mmo ever made would you classify as a sandbox, and what makes that mmo a sandbox ?

As for the pvp sand. I would like the tailor to be able to make clan clothes, so it is easier to see friendly players in pvp. I would also like it to be a landfortress just as the sea fortress. The crafters should be able to chose the skin of the weapons they makes, so everybody didn`t use a justicebringer and we didn`t know the level of the weapon the enemy held.

Just because I focus on one single feature, doesn`t make the game less sandbox. If someone chose to take a different direction will be up to him. I played UO for 5 years, and ALL I did was pvp. It didn`t made UO less sandbox.

And yes, Darkfall is perfect if you like to feel something when you play a game. It forces you to make friends and socialize with other players.  I`m a grown up gamer, and I`m like a child waiting for christmas. Darkfall is for me the best game since UO. Some part is better and some are worse, but atleast it`s not the common wow clone.

At forumfall one player asked what Darkfall had to offer him, and I liked this answer from Phildragon:

death, glory, anger, laughter, full banks, empty banks, unpredictability,easy kills, Zergs, embarrassing deaths, stressful losses, wealth, fame, hatred, satisfaction, sense of achievement, personal vendettas, nemesis, friends, ally's, freedom, fear, suspense and fun

10 more days to wait.

I personally have my own definition of a pure sandbox and one of those things that DF lacks is player construction. And on a side note it has quests also thus making it, in my definition, not a pure sandbox.

So these 2 things

1) lack of construction/building/terraforming etc

2) has quests

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by CNUChavez

Fluff is that way --->

Have a nice trip then!

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112

Trees that are only cosmetically different = Fluff

Trees that are cosmetically different and produce unique woods = Sand

So no, Darkfall is not adding more sand. That's the answer to OP's question.

So do you have access to information regarding UW the rest of us dont?  image As there seems to be a great deal of diversity in the new screenshots.

Just going to highlight the relevant part.

/win

You totally lost. You seem to have the least clue about the difference between sand & fluff of all in this thread.

OP did mention alot of sandbox elements but you attacked him with an arrogant "Fluff that way ----->"

Now you're meeting yourself in the door. Jeez.

/bye

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Everything indicates that there will be no much sand left in DF to call it a sandbox game anymore (DF 1 had the potential for one at least)...its a combat PvP Arena ...Quake on a persistant world..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by xDayx

I personally have my own definition of a pure sandbox and one of those things that DF lacks is player construction. And on a side note it has quests also thus making it, in my definition, not a pure sandbox.

So these 2 things

1) lack of construction/building/terraforming etc

2) has quests

Just going to comment on something here, I don't think the presence of quests denies a game it's classification of a sandbox. You could definitively have a sandbox with quests. The main difference is that in a sandbox, quests are a side thing to do whereas in a Themepark it's the game's main focus. In DarkFall's case, they use the quests to direct newer players around different areas and monsters to fight, and have some small amount of repeatable quests that requires to kill a mob "x" time for a reward, but by no mean is it a main focus.

It's a one trick pony.

10 more days to wait.

You don't have to look very far to know what Sandbox MMOs are, considering how many of those Vets there are on MMORPG.com.  UO, SWG, EVE are easy picks with no need to explain what makes them a sandbox (I at least assume you've heard of them...)

I also don't mean that because YOU only focus on a single feature that it doesn't make the game less a sandbox. It's if the Developers only focus on a single feature that makes it less a sandbox. My point is that because you only focus on a single feature when you play, and that this feature is enjoyable,  you don't see the rest of the game because you don't care about it.

I've said it many times, a sandbox allows players to focus on various different activities and to be good at it. UO had skill caps so dedicated crafters were well-known because it was time-consuming and not everybody could do it. In DarkFall, everyone is everything, which in turns forces everyone else to also be everything in order to compete. DarkFall's crafting system was a major fail on top of that, so many armor sets that aren't even complete, it's mind-boggling. Then you have housing, other than having to pay taxes and act as capturable points for Clans, housing is static mess that requires a Deed to be looted from a Chaos Chest (rare) or a monster (even rarer), same goes for Vendor NPCs which must be looted. Beyond that, housing serves strictly as a teleport point. There's no depth or purpose to anything in DarkFall. Even Clan warfare is a shallow mess, players are so bored that whenever there was a siege going on they'd try to join in anyway possible because there was nothing else to do. Then one side or the other would later log on to forum to cry about getting zerged.

PvP in of itself was good in DarkFall however, but it's just that, a PvP MMORPG.

Finally, on that last paragraph, any game can offer the same. It merely depends on your taste.

Originally posted by Mr_C

/win

You totally lost. You seem to have the least clue about the difference between sand & fluff of all in this thread.

OP did mention alot of sandbox elements but you attacked him with an arrogant "Fluff that way ----->"

Now you're meeting yourself in the door. Jeez.

/bye

How cute...Do you have anything to add to the actual discussion? image  I gave explicit examples of fluff and sand throught this post.

Thanks for dropping by

Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Everything indicates that there will be no much sand left in DF to call it a sandbox game anymore (DF 1 had the potential for one at least)...its a combat PvP Arena ...Quake on a persistant world..

So how is UW going to have less sand? What are these indicators you speak of?

• chorizo110chorizo110 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

So how is UW going to have less sand? What are these indicators you speak of?

@hancakes I agree with you, DF1 didnt have thaaaaat much sand in it but the amount of sand in DFUW decreased in no way!

There are no changes to the "Sandbox-mechanics".

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75

When you guys mature a bit more, you will know that when you are discussing about something if it is, or its not... probably it isn't.